The Strange and Curious Tale of the Last True Hermit

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
[Who's to say "last" though?]

For nearly thirty years, a phantom haunted the woods of Central Maine. Unseen and unknown, he lived in secret, creeping into homes in the dead of night and surviving on what he could steal. To the spooked locals, he became a legend—or maybe a myth. They wondered how he could possibly be real. Until one day last year, the hermit came out of the forest.

... His name, he revealed, was Christopher Thomas Knight. Born on December 7, 1965. He said he had no address, no vehicle, did not file a tax return, and did not receive mail. He said he lived in the woods.

"For how long?" wondered Perkins-Vance.

Knight thought for a bit, then asked when the Chernobyl nuclear-plant disaster occurred. He had long ago lost the habit of marking time in months or years; this was just a news event he happened to remember. The nuclear meltdown took place in 1986, the same year, Knight said, he went to live in the woods. He was 20 years old at the time, not long out of high school. He was now 47, a middle-aged man.

Knight stated that over all those years he slept only in a tent. He never lit a fire, for fear that smoke would give his camp away. He moved strictly at night. He said he didn't know if his parents were alive or dead. He'd not made one phone call or driven in a car or spent any money. He had never in his life sent an e-mail or even seen the Internet.

... For close to three decades, Knight said, he had not seen a doctor or taken any medicine. He mentioned that he had never once been sick. You had to have contact with other humans, he claimed, in order to get sick.

When, said Perkins-Vance, was the last time he'd had contact with another person?

Sometime in the 1990s, answered Knight, he passed a hiker while walking in the woods.

"What did you say?" asked Perkins-Vance.

"I said, 'Hi,' " Knight replied. Other than that single syllable, he insisted, he had not spoken with or touched another human being, until this night, for twenty-seven years.

.... We exchanged letters throughout the summer of 2013. Rather than becoming gradually more accustomed to jail, to being around other people, Knight was deteriorating. In the woods, he said, he'd always carefully maintained his facial hair, but now he stopped shaving. "Use my beard," he wrote, "as a jail calendar." He tried several times to converse with other inmates. He could force out a few hesitant words, but every topic—music, movies, television—was lost on him, as was most slang. "You speak like a book," one inmate teased. Whereupon he ceased talking.

"I am retreating into silence as a defensive move," he wrote. Soon he was down to uttering just five words, and only to guards: yes; no; please; thank you. "I am surprised by the amount of respect this garners me. That silence intimidates puzzles me. Silence is to me normal, comfortable."

... Even worse, he feared his time in jail would only prove correct those who doubted his sanity. "I suspect," he wrote, "more damage has been done to my sanity in jail, in months; than years, decades, in the woods."
... He was suffering in jail; the noise and the filth tore at his senses. "You asked how I sleep. Little and uneasy. I am nearly always tired and nervous."
... He explained about the lack of eye contact. "I'm not used to seeing people's faces," he said. "There's too much information there. Aren't you aware of it? Too much, too fast."

... "I drove until I was nearly out of gas. I took a small road. Then a small road off that small road. Then a trail off that." He parked the car. He placed the keys in the center console. "I had a backpack and minimal stuff. I had no plans. I had no map. I didn't know where I was going. I just walked away." It was late summer of 1986.

He'd camp in one spot for a week or so, then hike south, following the natural geology of Maine, with its long, glacier-carved valleys. "I lost track of where I was," he said. "I didn't care." For a while, he tried foraging for food. He ate roadkill partridges. Then he began taking corn and potatoes from people's gardens.

... The victims of his thefts, after years of waiting for a police breakthrough, eventually took matters into their own hands. Neal Patterson, whose family has owned a place on the pond for fifty years, began hiding all night in his dark house with a .357 Magnum in his hand. "I wanted to be the guy that caught the hermit," he said. He stayed up fourteen nights one summer before he quit.

Debbie Baker, whose young boys were terrified of the hermit—to quell their fears, the family renamed him "the hungry man"—installed a surveillance camera in their cabin. And in 2002, they captured a photo of Knight. The police widely distributed the photo and figured an arrest was imminent.

It took eleven more years.

Much more, with pictures, at this link.

Cool Story bro...I mean, seriously thats a cool story

Ain't it though? My sister sent it to me.
Not a big part of the story but revealing, is the part where the LEOs, as well as the local resident mentioned at the end, want to address the situation with firearms on an entity they know is harmless. "Only in America"...

Cool Story bro...I mean, seriously thats a cool story

Ain't it though? My sister sent it to me.
Not a big part of the story but revealing, is the part where the LEOs, as well as the local resident mentioned at the end, want to address the situation with firearms on an entity they know is harmless. "Only in America"...

How did "they know" he was harmless?

30 years in the Maine woods with just a tent and no fire?

Can't see a tent or sleeping bag last that long.

To be fair, they didn't know he was harmless, just that he hadn't harmed anyone. Breaking into people's homes and stealing is a harmful act and it's reasonable to take precautions if planning to catch someone doing this.

30 years in the Maine woods with just a tent and no fire?

Can't see a tent or sleeping bag last that long.

He covered over with tarps, and describes all that in detail in the story -- he trained himself to retire at 7:30 in the evening and wake up at 2am so he could get up and get active. It's worth a read. Very educational.

Layers will take you far -- that's what I do here in the winters; I have two or three comforters but they're topped off with a sleeping bag. That acts as a cap to keep the heat in. Not that my bedroom gets to the negative 20 of the Maine woods but it can drop to the positive 30s. And I sleep through it like a log.

To be fair, they didn't know he was harmless, just that he hadn't harmed anyone. Breaking into people's homes and stealing is a harmful act and it's reasonable to take precautions if planning to catch someone doing this.

Yeah it is, granted. I just think it says a lot about our culture that we always go after the unknown with a deadly force mindset. If this guy had been just over the border in New Brunswick following exactly the same lifestyle, there would have been a completely different attitude. We can thank good fortune that nobody blew him away so that we actually got to hear him out.

that's kinda cool

shoulda learned to hunt though, he could have stayed out forever

Yeah he could've been the real Mick Dodge

He did do roadkill at first -- but also says he deliberately set out to put on weight for the winter, which explains all the marshmallows and Cheetos. Not a bad survival goal but the diet cost him his teeth.

Ted Kaszinski was a hermit and he never even broke into homes. All he did was carry Al Gore's book around and blow up things. Ignorance of current events doesn't qualify as a hermit. There are schizophrenics who live like urban hermits in cardboard boxes.

Ted Kaszinski was a hermit and he never even broke into homes. All he did was carry Al Gore's book around and blow up things.

Your source for this is..?
Ted Kaczynski started terrorizing in 1978 and his target was the "industrial-technological system", not environmental concerns. "An Inconvenient Truth" didn't even come out until 2006. Even "Earth in the Balance" wasn't published until 1992. That's a minimum of 14 years.

But DO go on with your childish attempt at a guilt by association fallacy. Your source to where this Knight guy ever hurt anybody is.....?

Ignorance of current events doesn't qualify as a hermit. There are schizophrenics who live like urban hermits in cardboard boxes.

So you're whining about the use of the term "hermit"? That's IT?

butthurt2.jpg

Piss off.

The longest I've ever spent alone in the wilderness was three months, as part of an O9A initiation ritual.

But 27 years? That's a long ass time. I can respect that.

Forum List

Back