Raw milk can be dangerous

How about the government just require raw milk to be LABELLED as raw milk, and let the customer decide?

That's what they did in the UK.
Different types had different coloured caps.
The red top became very unpopular and hardly sold.
Most states that allow raw milk to be sold require it to be labeled as such.
The federal law outlawing raw milk only applies to interstate sales. In state sales are controlled by state laws. Large dairy farms that ship across state lines would pasteurize with or without the federal law because they need to be able to store milk for longer periods of time plus many states require that milk be pasteurized.

The push to allow raw milk sales comes from small dairy farms who want to avoid the expense of pasteurizing and want to expand their market across state lines.

Again, I have to bring up cigarettes. Doesn't that cross your mind at all? Why is selling cigarettes legal, but selling raw MILK is illegal? :cuckoo:

How about the government just require raw milk to be LABELLED as raw milk, and let the customer decide?

The federal law outlawing raw milk only applies to interstate sales. In state sales are controlled by state laws. Large dairy farms that ship across state lines would pasteurize with or without the federal law because they need to be able to store milk for longer periods of time plus many states require that milk be pasteurized.

The push to allow raw milk sales comes from small dairy farms who want to avoid the expense of pasteurizing and want to expand their market across state lines.

Again, I have to bring up cigarettes. Doesn't that cross your mind at all? Why is selling cigarettes legal, but selling raw MILK is illegal? :cuckoo:
raw milk isn't really illegal

Between 1993 and 2006 more than 1500 people in the United States became sick from drinking raw milk or eating cheese made from raw milk. In addition, CDC reported that unpasteurized milk is 150 times more likely to cause food borne illness and results in 13 times more hospitalizations than illnesses involving pasteurized dairy products.

Whether raw milk is safe to drink depends on the health of the cows, the handling of the milk; the cleaning and sterilization of equipment, and storage time and temperature. Pasteurized which removes over 99% of the bacteria significantly reduces the chance of becoming sick from contaminated milk.

Federal laws prevent the interstate sale of raw milk but many states allow sales within the state. The push, if you want to call it that to allow raw milk sales across the country comes from small dairy farms struggling to survive, health food addicts that believe in the magic properties of raw milk, and right wing nuts who want to abolish all food safety laws.

Well, if people want to risk it, I don't think the government should have to stop them. Who cares? Let people drink contaminated poop milk. They aren't hurting anyone else. As long as the consumer is aware, I don't see a problem with it.
The only ones saying it is "contaminated poop milk" are it's competitors.

Well if it's not regulated, you never know! :razz:
Pasteurized milk is regulated. How much do we know about it? I know far more about the raw milk I buy then anything else I eat. When raw milk is regulated and sold in a store I don't even know if it is raw. I don't know what kind of cow it comes from, what the cow eats, or how the cow is treated.
You don't how clean the dairy is and how healthy the cows are or how long the milk has been stored and at what temperature. You of course have the same problems with pasteurized milk with one big difference. After milk has been pasteurized, almost all bacteria originated at farm and in storage and transportation has been eliminated. This provides a margin of error which is very important because milk is often not stored at the proper temperature and time period.
Pasteurized milk is regulated. How much do we know about it? There are a lot of steps after pasteurization. A family farm is much less toxic than a processing plant. Filling your own bottles right on the farm eliminates all those steps and all those exposures.

raw milk isn't really illegal

I thought it was illegal to sell it?

Probably because babies are hardly ever killed outright when they're forced to smoke. Though it certainly is illegal for underaged persons to smoke...perhaps we should just make it illegal to feed the underaged raw milk. Let the adult idiots take their chances.

Well, if people want to risk it, I don't think the government should have to stop them. Who cares? Let people drink contaminated poop milk. They aren't hurting anyone else. As long as the consumer is aware, I don't see a problem with it.

Pasteurized milk is regulated. How much do we know about it? I know far more about the raw milk I buy then anything else I eat. When raw milk is regulated and sold in a store I don't even know if it is raw. I don't know what kind of cow it comes from, what the cow eats, or how the cow is treated.
You don't how clean the dairy is and how healthy the cows are or how long the milk has been stored and at what temperature. You of course have the same problems with pasteurized milk with one big difference. After milk has been pasteurized, almost all bacteria originated at farm and in storage and transportation has been eliminated. This provides a margin of error which is very important because milk is often not stored at the proper temperature and time period.
Pasteurized milk is regulated. How much do we know about it? There are a lot of steps after pasteurization. A family farm is much less toxic than a processing plant. Filling your own bottles right on the farm eliminates all those steps and all those exposures.

Well, we know that the facilities are inspected on a regular basis for cleanliness, etc. I'm sure they occasionally take samples to test the milk too. I believe those are some things they are SUPPOSED to be doing anyways.

Between 1993 and 2006 more than 1500 people in the United States became sick from drinking raw milk or eating cheese made from raw milk. In addition, CDC reported that unpasteurized milk is 150 times more likely to cause food borne illness and results in 13 times more hospitalizations than illnesses involving pasteurized dairy products.

Whether raw milk is safe to drink depends on the health of the cows, the handling of the milk; the cleaning and sterilization of equipment, and storage time and temperature. Pasteurized which removes over 99% of the bacteria significantly reduces the chance of becoming sick from contaminated milk.

Federal laws prevent the interstate sale of raw milk but many states allow sales within the state. The push, if you want to call it that to allow raw milk sales across the country comes from small dairy farms struggling to survive, health food addicts that believe in the magic properties of raw milk, and right wing nuts who want to abolish all food safety laws.

The problem is you can't tell whether the milk you buy in the store is contaminated or not. Even if you open the container you can't tell. Milk can have a high enough bacteria count to make you and your family sick and you will never know it till you're puking your guts out. Milk doesn't have to be sour to be dangerous to drink. The only way to protect yourself is to drink pasteurized milk.

I might agree with you if just the customer drank the milk. Milk goes to institutions, food processors, restaurants, food banks, and your neighbors kids. Thanks to pasteurization, illness from drinking milk is rare so people assume that milk in their glass is safe to drink.

I haven't seen anyone here advocate that all milk be raw, that pasteurized milk not be available for those who prefer it. People who want to consume raw milk are interested in changing the draconian regulations that make it almost impossible in many places, or at least extremely inconvenient, to acquire raw milk. And, enforcement of the anti-raw-milk regulations has reached the level of pogroms directed at the producers/sellers of raw milk to consumers.

The problem is you can't tell whether the milk you buy in the store is contaminated or not. Even if you open the container you can't tell. Milk can have a high enough bacteria count to make you and your family sick and you will never know it till you're puking your guts out. Milk doesn't have to be sour to be dangerous to drink. The only way to protect yourself is to drink pasteurized milk.

I might agree with you if just the customer drank the milk. Milk goes to institutions, food processors, restaurants, food banks, and your neighbors kids. Thanks to pasteurization, illness from drinking milk is rare so people assume that milk in their glass is safe to drink.

I haven't seen anyone here advocate that all milk be raw, that pasteurized milk not be available for those who prefer it. People who want to consume raw milk are interested in changing the draconian regulations that make it almost impossible in many places, or at least extremely inconvenient, to acquire raw milk. And, enforcement of the anti-raw-milk regulations has reached the level of pogroms directed at the producers/sellers of raw milk to consumers.

That's right. I am certainly not advocating for there to be only raw milk, but for there to be choices available to the consumer. If people want to risk it, that's up to them IMO. I might even try it. :D

The push to allow raw milk sales comes from small dairy farmers (I am one) who are constantly asked whether we sell our milk raw. There's tremendous interest and a huge market for raw milk available. While I will pasteurize my milk if the customer requests it, I still have to abide by the regulations and sell it under the same conditions I would if it were raw. The reason for that is qualifying as a Grade A dairy can be onerous, difficult to achieve, and yes, expensive. Here's a short overview of some of the requirements: Langston University Goat Research Extension. If you were to look at the more detailed literature, they even dictate the candlepower your lights have to comply with.
As far regulation of sales, it varies from one state to another. Most states allow farm sale of raw milk. This should give the consumer the ability to actually check and see how the animals and product are handled. (I welcome any of my customers to visit.) There are five "models" for raw milk sales: 1) no sales allowed, under any circumstances; 2) can be sold as pet food only and must be de-natured, usually by adding charcoal to discolor the milk; 3) herd shares legal (as in Alaska) that allow the owners of an animal to consume the raw milk produces. This allows a person to purchase a "share" of the herd (become an owner), and thereby consume "their" milk; 4) farm sales permitted, the consumer buys the milk at the location where it is produced; and, finally, 5) legal retail sales of raw milk. When sold as such, raw milk and raw milk products must be labelled.
State-by-State Review of Raw Milk Laws

Well, we know that the facilities are inspected on a regular basis for cleanliness, etc. I'm sure they occasionally take samples to test the milk too. I believe those are some things they are SUPPOSED to be doing anyways.

Guess what, places where raw milk sales are permitted also have inspection requirements.

That's right. I am certainly not advocating for there to be only raw milk, but for there to be choices available to the consumer. If people want to risk it, that's up to them IMO. I might even try it. :D

I didn't think you were. I do believe it should be far less difficult for someone who wants raw milk to acquire it. My brochure clearly states that some studies claim that raw milk may be hazardous. I also provide links for raw milk information.

What I have seen is dangerous pro-raw milk propaganda that pooh-poohs the inherent risks, and proclaims benefits of raw milk that have not been established scientifically...in the face of all public health authorities who are BEGGING them to stop spreading bad information, and who are BEGGING parents to abstain from feeding their children raw milk.

What I have seen is dangerous pro-raw milk propaganda that pooh-poohs the inherent risks, and proclaims benefits of raw milk that have not been established scientifically...in the face of all public health authorities who are BEGGING them to stop spreading bad information, and who are BEGGING parents to abstain from feeding their children raw milk.

Who owns the public (government) health authorities? Who owns the government agencies whose "studies" "prove" the dangers of raw milk? Follow the money, just like the whole organic issue, if small holders can be demonized and destroyed, the market share of the big agri-concerns will be increased.

Probably because babies are hardly ever killed outright when they're forced to smoke. Though it certainly is illegal for underaged persons to smoke...perhaps we should just make it illegal to feed the underaged raw milk. Let the adult idiots take their chances.
The CDC hasn't documented any deaths associated with raw fluid milk consumption. And parents don't want their kids smoking.

Yeah, I have common sense. I don't believe there's a government conspiracy to prevent us from drinking raw milk. The nature of milk as it is produced today makes raw milk a very, very risky venture. For kids.

The CDC hasn't documented any deaths associated with raw fluid milk consumption. And parents don't want their kids smoking.

The CDC says:

"Raw milk can carry harmful bacteria and other germs that can make you very sick or kill you. While it is possible to get foodborne illnesses from many different foods, raw milk is one of the riskiest of all.

"Getting sick from raw milk can mean many days of diarrhea, stomach cramping, and vomiting. Less commonly, it can mean kidney failure, paralysis, chronic disorders, and even death."

"From 1998 through 2011, 148 outbreaks due to consumption of raw milk or raw milk products were reported to CDC. These resulted in 2,384 illnesses, 284 hospitalizations, and 2 deaths. Most of these illnesses were caused by Escherichia coli, Campylobacter, Salmonella, or Listeria. It is important to note that a substantial proportion of the raw milk-associated disease burden falls on children; among the 104 outbreaks from 1998-2011 with information on the patients’ ages available, 82% involved at least one person younger than 20 years old.
Because not all cases of foodborne illness are recognized and reported, the actual number of illnesses associated with raw milk likely is greater."

CDC - Raw Milk Questions and Answers - Food Safety

"There are no health benefits from drinking raw milk that cannot be obtained from drinking pasteurized milk that is free of disease-causing bacteria. The process of pasteurization of milk has never been found to be the cause of chronic diseases, allergies, or developmental or behavioral problems."

"Routine pasteurization of milk began in the United States in the 1920s and became widespread by 1950 as a means to reduce contamination and reduce human illnesses. It led to dramatic reductions in the number of people getting sick from diseases that had previously been transmitted commonly by milk. Most public health professionals and health care providers consider pasteurization to be one of public health’s most effective food safety interventions ever!

"Many medical and scientific organizations recommend pasteurization for all milk consumed by humans; these include CDC, the Food and Drug Administration, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Veterinary Medical Association, the National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians, and others."

Yeah, I have common sense. I don't believe there's a government conspiracy to prevent us from drinking raw milk. The nature of milk as it is produced today makes raw milk a very, very risky venture. For kids.

Theoretically for children, old people, and anyone with compromised immune systems...are you aware that it is not recommended to feed infants honey, too? Honey is, like milk, a very good medium for bacteria. It is also one of Nature's best anti-bacterial agents. Access to raw milk should be left up to the consumer, like many other things. Whether they feed it to their children is their business.
One of my raw milk customer purchased two herd shares right after their granddaughter was born because Mom was unable to produce enough milk herself. They wanted raw milk for its natural nutritional properties, they wanted goat milk (raw) because they preferred goat milk. The family goes through about two gallons a week and have never had a complaint. The baby is almost two now and the healthiest, most adorable little girl you could hope to meet. Oh, yeah, the 90-some-year- old granny drinks the stuff too.
I drink my own milk, my family drinks it, my customers drink it. I would have more customers if I had more milk. And that regardless of the stupid contracts everyone is forced to sign.

Forum List

Back