Rare Cat Breeds

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
My fiancee and I were wondering how we can get our hands on them. They're both really rare and purebred so they're probably pretty expensive enough as it is though. They're the Japanese Bobtail and the Egyptian Mau.

I think that from the pictures below it's pretty obvious which one is which. The Japanese Bobtail is extremely cute and I love how the Egyptian Mau resembles a leopard. (I first heard about it through Catwoman btw.)

JapaneseBobtailBlueEyedMi-ke (1).jpeg

Egyptian-Mau.jpg

I like the Mau ... came within a whisker of buying a Savannah Cat ... it's just easier watching a $100 American Shorthair run out the catflap than that Bobtail ...

• Banned
I like the Mau ... came within a whisker of buying a Savannah Cat ... it's just easier watching a $100 American Shorthair run out the catflap than that Bobtail ...

I wouldn't get a Savannah personally. They're still a wild animal to me.

Maybe Alan Stallion would know more about this. He's the cat guy.
I may have been to a couple of cat shows, and I may have bought a Cat Fancy magazine or two, and I may have watched dozens of videos from internet cat experts like the Kitten Lady and Jackson Galaxy... where was I going with this?...

Oh yeah, I'm a cat guy.

Pure cat breeds can definitely be rather pricey. I've never purchased one from a breeder. All cats I've had were strays or rescues. Lots of cats and kittens at animal shelters in need of homes.

One of my rescues was a pure breed, a Himalayan, and the original owners had medical and behavioral issues with it, but the cat to me was a sweet-heart and I did not have those issues the original owners had, perhaps I just had a better environment for the cat.

Tiffany04.jpg

^ Just look at that ball of fluff. The biggest challenge of that breed is it required frequent combing. Other cats I've had including long hairs didn't really require much effort with grooming, but Himalayans are a different breed. You'll often see Himalayans at Cat Shows.

I took in a pregnant stray once had got to raise kittens from the beginning. They were born on Labor Day (which is apropos). Those were exciting times...

KittiesDay27.jpg

So back to breeds, you can shop around, and may have to drive some distance for a particular breed. It'll cost $$$ and you'll get pedigree documentation for a cat purchase. There's no guarantee they'll live any longer than a stray or rescue, though you would have them from maybe five to six weeks old.

And there are plenty of loveable rescues out there looking for a home. I hate hearing of cats being put down because shelters are too full and/or funds aren't sufficient to keep unhoused cats alive.

Forum List

Back