Rangel's Tragic End

He was stripped of a chairmanship he was going to lose anyway? How traumatic that must be for him.

Like I said, he should be charged. If he's not, I hope you take that up with Eric Holder.

Both Holder and Sallow determine if a crime has been committed by looking at the voter registration of the person charged.

And using his logic of the Lifetime War Hero exemption from any future crimes, Duke Cunningham should never have been tried and thrown in jail. I'm sure Sallow's all upset about him, too.
actually, has Rangel broken laws, or just House ethics rules?
as far as i know its only the later

multinational corporations who get welfare that taxpayers are stuck paying...

not true

YES, it is true. It's called government subsidies and cost externalization.

The external costs to U.S. taxpayers totaled $3.5 trillion in 1995 - four times higher than the profits of U.S. corporations that year ($822 billion). This sort of externalization toll is routinely evident in hazy skies, injured consumers, and impoverished workers in the United States and elsewhere.

According to a 2004 report released by U.S. Representative George Miller, one 200-employee Wal-Mart store may cost federal taxpayers $420,000 per year because of the need for federal aid (such as housing assistance, tax credits, and health insurance assistance) for Wal-Mart's low-wage employees. Moreover, many corporations fill their labor needs offshore in order to exploit unorganized workers in low-cost and politically friendly countries.

When Good Corporations Go Bad | Worldwatch Institute

It'll be interesting to see how he spins it. Even money says he'll call me a racist. :lol:

Um.

You point out which post on these boards where I called another poster a "racist".

In fact..I think I've posted that racism is fine..long as you keep it to yourself..and not try to curtail other people's rights.
Okay, I retract and apologize. :beer:

Now, how about Rangel's unpatriotism?

He should have been either contacted by the IRS or charged in a court of law.

Or do you think our tax code is simple and easy to understand?

Both Holder and Sallow determine if a crime has been committed by looking at the voter registration of the person charged.

And using his logic of the Lifetime War Hero exemption from any future crimes, Duke Cunningham should never have been tried and thrown in jail. I'm sure Sallow's all upset about him, too.

Which post was that?

Really? You really can't remember your own post from a couple pages back?

This is funny. Newt Gingrich did far worse..where were Republicans on that guy? What about Tom Delay? They wanted to change to rules for him.

But ol' Charlie? Who won a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart in Korea? They want him "to resign" or be "expelled".

This is the man you guys want to expell.

Rangel then enlisted in the United States Army, and served from 1948 to 1952.[10] During the Korean War, he was a member of the all-black 503rd Field Artillery Battalion in the 2nd Infantry Division.[11]

In late November 1950, this unit was caught up in heavy fighting in North Korea as part of the U.N. forces retreat from the Yalu River. In the Battle of Kunu-ri, Rangel was part of a vehicle column that was trapped and attacked by the Chinese Army.[11] In the subzero cold, Rangel was injured by shrapnel from a Chinese shell.[12] Some U.S. soldiers were being taken prisoner, but others looked to Rangel, who though only a private first class had a reputation for leadership in the unit. Rangel led some 40 men from his unit, during three days of freezing weather, out of the Chinese encirclement. Nearly half of the battalion was killed in the overall battle.[13]

Rangel was awarded a Purple Heart for his wounds and the Bronze Star with Valor for his actions in the face of death.[14] His Army unit was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation,[15] the Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, and three battle stars.[14] In 2000, Rangel reflected with CBS News that

Charles B. Rangel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's a real life blood and guts American hero..not an actor.

Rangel was a very brave & honorable Soldier. He was just in Congress way too long. Never trust career Politicians. Personally i just can't trust anyone who has been a Politician all their life. I prefer people who have had real life experiences and have had to make it in the real world. Term Limits are the answer. I hope it happens someday soon.

Um.

You point out which post on these boards where I called another poster a "racist".

In fact..I think I've posted that racism is fine..long as you keep it to yourself..and not try to curtail other people's rights.

Do you mean the tax code in which he was chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee? :cuckoo:

actually, has Rangel broken laws, or just House ethics rules?
as far as i know its only the later

Prior to January 20th, 2009, tax evasion was a federal crime. Since then, it seems it has more to do with your political affiliation than anything else, so I'm sure nothing more will be done.

Um.

Taxes are the dude's job. Are you saying he's incompetent?

His military record excuses it...didn't you get the memo? One of the first places a Statist wants to cut is the military versus what the real problem is in the budget.

;)

Rangel was a very brave & honorable Soldier. He was just in Congress way too long. Never trust career Politicians. Personally i just can't trust anyone who has been a Politician all their life. I prefer people who have had real life experiences and have had to make it in the real world. Term Limits are the answer. I hope it happens someday soon.

Hell, you couldn't pull some of these bastards out of Congress with the 'jaws of life'.

His military record excuses it...didn't you get the memo? One of the first places a Statist wants to cut is the military versus what the real problem is in the budget.

;)
Funny how they get all sentimental about veterans when one of their own is in dutch.

Which post was that?

This is funny. Newt Gingrich did far worse..where were Republicans on that guy? What about Tom Delay? They wanted to change to rules for him.

But ol' Charlie? Who won a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart in Korea? They want him "to resign" or be "expelled".

Rangel then enlisted in the United States Army, and served from 1948 to 1952.[10] During the Korean War, he was a member of the all-black 503rd Field Artillery Battalion in the 2nd Infantry Division.[11]

In late November 1950, this unit was caught up in heavy fighting in North Korea as part of the U.N. forces retreat from the Yalu River. In the Battle of Kunu-ri, Rangel was part of a vehicle column that was trapped and attacked by the Chinese Army.[11] In the subzero cold, Rangel was injured by shrapnel from a Chinese shell.[12] Some U.S. soldiers were being taken prisoner, but others looked to Rangel, who though only a private first class had a reputation for leadership in the unit. Rangel led some 40 men from his unit, during three days of freezing weather, out of the Chinese encirclement. Nearly half of the battalion was killed in the overall battle.[13]

Rangel was awarded a Purple Heart for his wounds and the Bronze Star with Valor for his actions in the face of death.[14] His Army unit was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation,[15] the Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation, and three battle stars.[14] In 2000, Rangel reflected with CBS News that

Charles B. Rangel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And it says "life time exemption" where?

Really.

Lets lay out the facts here.

Rangel got caught up in accounting errors. Real estate is the most complex and ridiculous part of the tax code. I know that first hand. I don't even pretend to understand it..I leave it to accountants. And the reason I use H&R block is they guarantee their work. They fuck up..they pay..not me.

That's what happened with Rangel..and the use of stationary for charitable causes..not to enrich himself..as in Newt Gingrich's case.

This is the first time..a congress person..has been tossed into a hearing with no charges pending..or not caught red handed in violating the rules of congress..like having sex with pages. First.

Rangel's got an extremely long and, on the whole, very positive career in Congress. I personally like the guy..he's in the mold of old salts like Daniel Moynihan or Hugh Carey. He's extremely pragmatic and works well with others.

He's already stepped down from a committee he really cared about. And he's been drug through the mud.

I'm not putting out there..that if someone is charged or found to be involved in wrong doing they be absolved.

What I am putting out there..is that the system of justice practiced in the country calls for precendence, protocol and proportionality.

The personal attacks against Rangel in this thread are really to much. As are the remedies for his "crimes".

Do you mean the tax code in which he was chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee? :cuckoo:

Again..do you think he was doing his own taxes?

And..I am not saying that nothing should happen to him.

Which post was that?

Really.

Rangel got caught up in accounting errors. Real estate is the most complex and ridiculous part of the tax code. I know that first hand. I don't even pretend to understand it..I leave it to accountants. And the reason I use H&R block is they guarantee their work. They fuck up..they pay..not me.

That's what happened with Rangel..and the use of stationary for charitable causes..not to enrich himself..as in Newt Gingrich's case.

This is the first time..a congress person..has been tossed into a hearing with no charges pending..or not caught red handed in violating the rules of congress..like having sex with pages. First.

Rangel's got an extremely long and, on the whole, very positive career in Congress. I personally like the guy..he's in the mold of old salts like Daniel Moynihan or Hugh Carey. He's extremely pragmatic and works well with others.

He's already stepped down from a committee he really cared about. And he's been drug through the mud.

I'm not putting out there..that if someone is charged or found to be involved in wrong doing they be absolved.

What I am putting out there..is that the system of justice practiced in the country calls for precendence, protocol and proportionality.

The personal attacks against Rangel in this thread are really to much. As are the remedies for his "crimes".

:eusa_boohoo: He abused his power. As a consequence? he gets re-elected...take some solace in that...albiet it speaks volumes for his constituients. Sad.

Which post was that?

Really.

:confused::confused:

Have you ever stopped to think that if he had done no wrong doing, we wouldn't even be discussing him?

:confused::confused:

Have you ever stopped to think that if he had done no wrong doing, we wouldn't even be discussing him?

Okay..

Aside from the fact this is a completely unique situation..

What's your recommendation for punishment?

Something else completely unique and unprecendented?

Which post was that?

Really.

Like someone else said earlier, you're pretty transparent. Or maybe it's just that your posts really make no point at all. Have to consider that.

Keep making excuses fr Rangel, but he hasn't suffered a damn thing. He still has his cushy taxpayer funded job, and whenever he finally leaves, he'll get a nice, fat taxpayer funded pension. Poor, poor Charlie. He should be thankful that Eric Holder is such an incompetent boob and partisan hack or he might actually face federal charges for tax evasion.

Forum List

Back