Ran a 7 Minute Mile Yesterday Morning

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
My wife got me to start going to Orange Theory with her about a year ago. At first I was reluctant because I thought it was really more of a thing for stay at home housewives in yoga pants, but it was no joke. I swear I was about to collapse after the first class and bear in mind I used to be a Muay Thai fighter, so I did years of pretty harsh conditioning when I was in my 20s. So I started doing a couple of days of Orange with her per week in between my regular lifting sessions and the results speak for themselves. I've had to take some time off from lifting due to a couple of injuries that aren't going away, so I've been focusing on just lower body. I decided to go running yesterday morning and I ran 4.18 miles outside at an average pace of 6:59. I was pretty shocked about that. I used to run when I would train for fights and I usually ran somewhere between 8:00 and 9:00 minutes per mile, so apparently all that running and cardio at Orange works. I wish that place existed back when I was still fighting.

That’s a respectable pace, especially considering you haven’t been doing any training runs.

I use to run, run a lot. 6 days a week averaging 70 miles per week, but now, after having both hips replaced, I just hike and play hockey. I would never recommend to anybody to run that much. Even if you are built like a Kenyon marathoner, your body will eventually succumb.

That is a very good time. Are you shocked that it was slow or fast? I would have thought that was a very fast time myself.

Very nice...that's fast...I run for distance not speed...but good for you...

That is a very good time. Are you shocked that it was slow or fast? I would have thought that was a very fast time myself.

Sub 7 minute miles is a very good pace over 4 miles. In Most local 10k races the majority of people will be over 50 minutes, or over 8 minutes per mile.

My wife got me to start going to Orange Theory with her about a year ago. At first I was reluctant because I thought it was really more of a thing for stay at home housewives in yoga pants, but it was no joke. I swear I was about to collapse after the first class and bear in mind I used to be a Muay Thai fighter, so I did years of pretty harsh conditioning when I was in my 20s. So I started doing a couple of days of Orange with her per week in between my regular lifting sessions and the results speak for themselves. I've had to take some time off from lifting due to a couple of injuries that aren't going away, so I've been focusing on just lower body. I decided to go running yesterday morning and I ran 4.18 miles outside at an average pace of 6:59. I was pretty shocked about that. I used to run when I would train for fights and I usually ran somewhere between 8:00 and 9:00 minutes per mile, so apparently all that running and cardio at Orange works. I wish that place existed back when I was still fighting.
Congratulations, Don't Taz Me Bro. I used to be a runner in my 30s. It's an amazing way to look and feel your best. keep up the good work! :woohoo:

That’s a respectable pace, especially considering you haven’t been doing any training runs.
I use to run, run a lot. 6 days a week averaging 70 miles per week, but now, after having both hips replaced, I just hike and play hockey. I would never recommend to anybody to run that much. Even if you are built like a Kenyon marathoner, your body will eventually succumb.
I found an article about the world's oldest runners. Here's the low-down:
9 Oldest Marathon Runners in The World | Oldest.org
9. Iva Barr
Age when running: 87
Country from: London, UK
Latest marathon: London Marathon 2015
Time: 7:29 (26.2 miles)
8. Betty Jean McHugh
Age when running: 88
Country from: Canada
Latest marathon: Honolulu Marathon 2016
Time: 6:31:32 (26.2 miles)