Raiders Win in OT

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
This past Sunday's win by the Raiders on a last second field goal in the overtime period put them in the playoffs. Since the clock expired with the completion of the field goal and the fact that at that point in the game, it was "sudden death" (a crazy term for a sporting event) the game would have ended either way--since the ball sailed through the goalposts, the Raiders win and advanced. If it had been a missed field goal, the game would have ended in a tie.

The positive outcome for fans of the Raiders doesn't negate that the NFL really needs to fix the overtime rules. Its one of those instances where the "best minds" have given us a terrible result. Sports Illustrated explains the rules for the playoff overtimes as follows:

1) Overtime starts with a coin toss to determine possession, with the visiting team captain calling heads or tails.

2) Overtime runs 10 minutes long at maximum, down from 15 minutes in previous seasons.

Each team gets two timeouts. There are no coaches’ challenges, with officials reviewing close plays.

3) If the team with first possession scores a touchdown on the opening drive of overtime, that team wins the game. No extra point will be attempted.

4) A field goal on the opening drive means the other team gets a chance to answer. If the team with second possession scores a touchdown on the ensuing drive, that team wins. If they kick a field goal to tie, possession goes back the other way. From there, scoring is sudden death, with the first team to break the tie deemed the victor.

5) If the score is still tied at the end of an overtime period, or if the second team's initial possession has not ended, the teams play additional overtime periods until a winner is determined.

6) The team captain who lost the first overtime coin toss will call heads or tails to determine possession, unless the team that won the coin toss deferred that choice.

Each team gets three timeouts during a half.

7) The same timing rules that apply at the end of the second and fourth quarters in regulation also apply at the end of those quarters in overtime.

8) If there is no winner at the end of a fourth overtime period, there will be another coin toss, and play will continue until a winner is determined.

Sunday's win wasn't a playoff game but it (and other games through out the season) are every bit as important to franchises where there are thousands of dollars on the line, bonuses for players, HOF implications for special performers, etc... Why not scrap all of the special rules and just play a fifth quarter. If you want to eliminate kickoffs because of the concussion issues...thats fine; just start every drive on the 20. If you want to shorten it to 10 minutes instead of 15 minutes...great. But get rid of the "if a touchdown is scored; that's an automatic victory" or "the third score is sudden death". Flip a coin, line up and just continue playing .

I don't agree with an entire quarter for OT, too long, too many injuries IMO. How about this? Each team gets the ball 20 yards from end zone. If you score a TD you must go for the 2 pt conversion. If you don't score a TD on 3rd down you can opt for the field goal or go for it on 4th down. But if you go on 4th down and don't score or get a first down, your possession ends with 0 pts. If after the first possession by each team the score is tied, just start over from the 20. With the different scoring combinations, it would be rare to require more than 2 possessions to determine a winner. Possible scores per possession are 0, 3, 6, or 8.

Last edited:
I don't agree with an entire quarter for OT, too long, too many injuries IMO. How about this? Each team gets the ball 20 yards from end zone. If you score a TD you must go for the 2 pt conversion. If you don't score a TD on 3rd down you can opt for the field goal or go for it on 4th down. But if you go on 4th down and don't score or get a first down, your possession ends with 0 pts. If after the first possession by each team the score is tied, just start over from the 20. With the different scoring combinations, it would be rare to require more than 2 possessions to determine a winner. Possible scores per possession are 0, 3, 6, or 8.

Exactly what I think they should avoid. Just play a fifth quarter.

Historically, playing a fifth quarter would not have added too many opportunities for injuries over and beyond 60 minutes of football. For example, In 2002, there were 25 games (a record) in the season that went into an overtime period. In 2003, the Panthers had 5 overtime games (a record for one team). So with history as a guide, the most you'll be exposed to is 5 extra quarters over a season. Not super hazardous.

I think they should not have kick offs. Just have the offenses start on their own twenty yard line, give them 2 time outs and let them continue playing without this manufactured sense of urgency. If the team that receives the "kickoff" can hold it for 10 minutes...that is the other team's tough luck. Again, the both teams get a possession rule is manufactured benevolence. If after 10 minutes the score is still tied...well, the teams were just equals on that day. No shame in a tie.

Its like playing 48 minutes in the NBA and then having the players play H-O-R-S-E to see who actually wins the game.

How about a ten-minute overtime after which you give each team at least one offensive possession to end the game after it if still tied? The stakes are high as the game endings can be imperfect. Perhaps the expansion of the playoffs are part of it including increased revenues.

Its like playing 48 minutes in the NBA and then having the players play H-O-R-S-E to see who actually wins the game.
That is a ridiculous analogy intended to dismiss my approach. But that's how Liberals debate, so no surprise there. Basketball, baseball and college football OT rules are all designed to minimize the additional time while allowing both teams an equal opportunity to score. The NFL should do the same.

How much better would it be to have the Bills and the Chiefs still playing possibly for the full 15 minutes instead of this crazy "sudden death" rule they have?

The Chiefs are awesome and they definitely deserved to win....but Josh Allen deserved a chance to get on the field in Overtime.

How much better would it be to have the Bills and the Chiefs still playing possibly for the full 15 minutes instead of this crazy "sudden death" rule they have?

The Chiefs are awesome and they definitely deserved to win....but Josh Allen deserved a chance to get on the field in Overtime.
What better example to extend the discussion from 2 weeks ago. Whichever way you do it, give the other team a chance. I'm not a fan of either team, but I became a Josh Allen fan. That guy was running the ball like a running back. Not one baseball slide that I remember. He played his guts out and didn't even get a shot. That's awful.

That is a ridiculous analogy intended to dismiss my approach. But that's how Liberals debate, so no surprise there. Basketball, baseball and college football OT rules are all designed to minimize the additional time while allowing both teams an equal opportunity to score. The NFL should do the same.
No...

You have an offense and a defense and special teams. Science has told us that having 180-240 pound players running 40-60 yard wind sprints and colliding with someone is not good for their brain so I'm okay with getting rid of the kick-offs in overtime. Most drives start on the 25 yard line from touchbacks so just flip a coin and whoever wants the ball gets it on the 25 and play 10 minutes of FOOTBALL. No gimmicks; no stipulations like starting on the opponent's 20 yard line...having to go for 2 points....etc... Play football.

No...

You have an offense and a defense and special teams. Science has told us that having 180-240 pound players running 40-60 yard wind sprints and colliding with someone is not good for their brain so I'm okay with getting rid of the kick-offs in overtime. Most drives start on the 25 yard line from touchbacks so just flip a coin and whoever wants the ball gets it on the 25 and play 10 minutes of FOOTBALL. No gimmicks; no stipulations like starting on the opponent's 20 yard line...having to go for 2 points....etc... Play football.
All other major and college sports have altered shortened OT rules for good reason. I'm saying there are other ways to have a shortened OT and make it fair. You have a different opinion, fine. I don't agree, that's the nature of debate.

The Bills had 75 yards to stop Mahomes and get their chance. KC earned the win.

I think the sentiment that sudden death conveys is appropriate. You think something a little less graphic or more palatable would be better?
...or, make it end like soccer, overtime period and if it's still tied instead of penalty kicks, make it field goal kicks.

All other major and college sports have altered shortened OT rules for good reason.
What "good reason" would that be?

I'm saying there are other ways to have a shortened OT and make it fair.
I'm saying play a 10 minute quarter. Does any of these major college football conferences have a set-up that is drastically less than 10 minutes? No.

You have a different opinion, fine. I don't agree, that's the nature of debate.
Truth.

Forum List

Back