Rage on the Right

The economy has just passed judgement. Of course, as in most things in life, the innocent get to pay the price.

Who exactly is innocent? You think a poor economy is suffering? Seriously? You dont understand what true suffering is.

You just described the Bush administration.

Then you agree we need smaller government. We need to take back the power these politicians are taking from us.

Or are you just going to blindly follow Obama as he makes the problem 100 times worse?

I am wondering at what point conservatives and republicans assume some responsibility? Take a moral stand? Consider Nixon's actions, or Reagan/North, or Abramoff, Delay, firing lawyers who did their job, condoning torture, an unnecessary war, a collapsing economy, an increase in poverty, Katrina and on and on. Is it any wonder they lost big this last election. But they stick to the tired mantra, it is the other guy's fault, the martyrdom syndrome needs to be thrown out and they need to look in the mirror for a change.

David Fiderer: The Simple Arithmetic of Republican Failure

Who exactly is innocent? You think a poor economy is suffering? Seriously? You dont understand what true suffering is.

Fool! I know what it is like to be hungry. And, if this plays out as I think it will, the Second Great Republican Depression will create a lot more Americans that also know that feeling. You may think that you are well insulated from the realities that this debacle will bring, and you better pray that you are correct.

Fool! I know what it is like to be hungry. And, if this plays out as I think it will, the Second Great Republican Depression will create a lot more Americans that also know that feeling. You may think that you are well insulated from the realities that this debacle will bring, and you better pray that you are correct.
you are the fool, you really think you know what caused the last one, and you want to blame the republicans for it?
LOL

You think missing a few meals is suffering?

The only reason we had a depression before is FDR screwed up the economy with his little social experiments that it too a war for us to get out of it. Unfortunately, now we have a President who wants to do the same exact thing.

What gets me is you are so mad at President Bush for doing exactly what liberals have been wanting to do for years.

No Im very much aware of what's about to happen. But Im not going to sit around and expect someone else to get me out of it. Ill trust God and go to work.

Blaming FDR? More right wing spin.

If you're like me, you sometimes find yourself speechless when confronted with abject insanity.

If you're like me, you were dumbfounded when "Forrest Gump" beat out "Pulp Fiction" for best picture; when HBO's "Sopranos" received more accolades than "The Wire"; and when George W. Bush insisted Iraqi airplanes were about to drop WMDs on American cities.

So if you're like me, you probably understand why I was momentarily tongue-tied last week after running face-first into conservatives' newest (and most ridiculous) talking point - the one designed to stop Congress from passing an economic stimulus package.

During a Christmas Eve appearance on Fox News, I pointed out that most mainstream economists believe the government must boost the economy with deficit spending. That's when conservative pundit Monica Crowley said we should instead limit such spending because President Franklin Roosevelt's "massive government intervention actually prolonged the Great Depression." Fox News anchor Gregg Jarrett eagerly concurred, saying "historians pretty much agree on that."

Only after collecting myself did I say that such assertions about the New Deal were absurd. But then I was laughed at - as if it was hilarious to say that the New Deal did anything but exacerbate the Depression.

Afterward, I wondered whether I, and most of the country, are the crazy ones. Sure, the vast majority of Americans think the New Deal worked well. But are conservatives right? Did the New Deal's "massive government intervention prolong the Great Depression?"

Ummm ... no.

Upon deeper examination, I discovered that the right bases its New Deal revisionism on the short-lived recession in a year straddling 1937 and 1938. But that was four years into Roosevelt's term - four years marked by spectacular economic growth. Additionally, the fleeting decline happened not because of the New Deal's spending programs, but because Roosevelt momentarily listened to conservatives and backed off them. As Nobel-winning economist Paul Krugman notes, in 1937-38, FDR "was persuaded to balance the budget" and "cut spending and the economy went back down again."

"Excepting 1937-38, unemployment fell each year of Roosevelt's first two terms (while) the U.S. economy grew at average annual growth rates of 9 percent to 10 percent," writes University of California historian Eric Rauchway.

What about the New Deal's most "massive government intervention" - its financial regulations? Did they prolong the Great Depression in ways the official data didn't detect?

Nope.

According to Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, "Only with the New Deal's rehabilitation of the financial system in 1933-35 did the economy begin its slow emergence from the Great Depression." In fact, even famed conservative economist Milton Friedman admitted that the New Deal's Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation was "the structural change most conducive to monetary stability since ... the Civil War."

As Newsweek's Daniel Gross reports, "One would be very hard-pressed to find a serious professional historian who believes that the New Deal prolonged the Depression."

But that's the critical point I somehow forgot last week - the truism we must all remember in 2009.

As conservatives try to obstruct a new New Deal, they're not making any arguments that are remotely serious.

Rayboy with all due respect, if you thoink borrowing more money from China is going to solve our Problems you are seriously delusional.

Buy the way among the other inaccuracies presented in that piece is the out and out lie that Bush ever said that Iraqi war planes would be dropping WMD on American cities. What you and the rest of the leftist Bushophobes is that at the time the speech was made therewere over 50K Americans well within SCUD range of Iran not including construction workers Embassy staff and others. You don't have to drop bombs on the US proper to threaten Americans.

Wrong most economist now agree. FDR's new Deal did not help end the depression and actually worked to extend it by 5 to 7 years.

To deny this widely accepted fact is sheer left wing lunacy.

"Most economists?"

Link?

Isn't it wonderful how the "Conservatives" on this board are so quick to defend the miscreants that have caused this debacle. I am sure that it makes a "conservative" shudder.

You mean like Barney Frank and Chris Dodd...nope,that would be you lefties that keep defending and re-electing the miscreants that caused this debacle.

Wrong most economist now agree. FDR's new Deal did not help end the depression and actually worked to extend it by 5 to 7 years.

To deny this widely accepted fact is sheer left wing lunacy.

Sure, and you guys routinely state that WW2 was what brought us out of the Depression. Yet in WW2 the government spent massive amounts of money, and raised the top tax to nearly 100%. You pile two contridictory arguements into one paragraph. Both my grandparents lost everything in the First Great Republican Depression, and my parent grew up in it. All thought that Roosevelt was the man that led the country out of it. You revisionists are simply viewing history through ideological glasses, and ignoring reality.

FDR was and always will be a hero to the majority of Americans. And your ideological rants will be consigned to the compost heap, where they belong.

Rayboy with all due respect, if you thoink borrowing more money from China is going to solve our Problems you are seriously delusional.

Buy the way among the other inaccuracies presented in that piece is the out and out lie that Bush ever said that Iraqi war planes would be dropping WMD on American cities. What you and the rest of the leftist Bushophobes is that at the time the speech was made therewere over 50K Americans well within SCUD range of Iran not including construction workers Embassy staff and others. You don't have to drop bombs on the US proper to threaten Americans.

And you are still rewriting history. Remember the lies concerning Iraq developing unpiloted planes capable of reaching mainland USA from ship launches? And the truth was that there experiments in that direction were not even at the level of a meet of model plane amatuers on a weekend at the county level here in the US.

Sure, and you guys routinely state that WW2 was what brought us out of the Depression. Yet in WW2 the government spent massive amounts of money, and raised the top tax to nearly 100%.

Yes they spent millions of dollars on actual products and goods.(tanks,planes. Trucks, Jeeps,ammo,uniforms. etc) Which served as a direct massive stimulus to the economy.

Not millions of dollars on cooperate bail outs, and tax credits to people who do not even pay fed income tax, and other pork ladened social spending programs.

FDR's new deal policies came well before the war, and were a hamper on recovering from the Depression. Only time, and yes a world war actually got us out of the depression.

No I don't. I remeber leftist bloggers claiming he said that but Bush himself never did.

It is another of those urban legends like the one where in it is claimed Bush said that Saddam had a part in 9/11 when in fact in a NY-Times piece he clearly said exactly the opposite.

Did he state that intelligence had suggested that The Iraqis might have access to some small RPV's that could be used to deliver chemical munitions? Did he claim that they would be used to deliver such munitions to the US proper? NO.

Yes they spent millions of dollars on actual products and goods.(tanks,planes. Trucks, Jeeps,ammo,uniforms. etc) Which served as a direct massive stimulus to the economy.

Not millions of dollars on cooperate bail outs, and tax credits to people who do not even pay fed income tax, and other pork ladened social spending programs.

You really believe that, don't you?

Simply amazing.

Forum List

Back