Rachel Maddow, MSNBC sued for defamation

and? is that relevant to anything she has to say when gretchen plays stupid for the benefit of the rightwingnuts?

i know the right is influenced by the whole miss america thing, but i'd rather see someone who actually does their research and isn't a shill for the wingnuts.

I agree. I threw the Miss America thing in cause I wanted to. Besides, her looks are fading fast. Her comments and mis-pronunciations are distracting. Especially when she pronounced Corpsman, corpseman. That's how Obama pronounced it awhile back when he was describing the great work that a Navy Corpsman had done in Haiti.

I was kind of surprised when Carlson did the mis-pronounciation on Fox and Friends but got over it. I know this will bring out the Bush is an idiot and can't pronounce stuff right either crowd, but who cares.

For the Commander in Chief to mis-pronounce more than once the title of one of the most highly decorated groups of any of the world's militaries, is a sin.

It isn't a sin. Would you rather the President not mention the work of the Navy at all?

He needs to get off the teleprompter and stop with the "Phonetic R Us" and recognize who the hell he's talking about. He was talking about a Corpsman, not a corpse man.

I agree. I threw the Miss America thing in cause I wanted to. Besides, her looks are fading fast. Her comments and mis-pronunciations are distracting. Especially when she pronounced Corpsman, corpseman. That's how Obama pronounced it awhile back when he was describing the great work that a Navy Corpsman had done in Haiti.

I was kind of surprised when Carlson did the mis-pronounciation on Fox and Friends but got over it. I know this will bring out the Bush is an idiot and can't pronounce stuff right either crowd, but who cares.

For the Commander in Chief to mis-pronounce more than once the title of one of the most highly decorated groups of any of the world's militaries, is a sin.

It isn't a sin. Would you rather the President not mention the work of the Navy at all?

He needs to get off the teleprompter and stop with the "Phonetic R Us" and recognize who the hell he's talking about. He was talking about a Corpsman, not a corpse man.

Well...if the Corpsman isn't very good, a corpse man would be the logical result.

You know you watch Fox News.

Not much really. Never heard of her...seriously.

I believe you.

People of all ideologies watch it though. Otherwise, their ratings would not be as high. I am a comsumer of as many sources as possible. Also, even liberals spend lots of time at Fox due to the over-the-top rhetoric that MSNBC puts out. People get tired of that. Intelligent people usually do independent research to form their opinions and beliefs, aside from the talk shows which are ruled by ratings.

Gretchen Carlson of Fox News is also a cum laude graduate of Stanford. She also studied at Oxford. She is also the victim of partisan ridicule. How coincidental.

One big difference she has with Rachel is:

Gretchen was Miss America. d'oh

So the threads attacking Gretchen Carlson are where?

Jus sayin....

I wrote that she is the vicitm of partisan ridicule, not obsessed over by usmb members. Truthfully, I don't give a flip about either of these TV personalities. Maddow is touted as being an oracle of great progressive ideas but she is just a leftist hack. She is a genius but is so affected by LW ideology that the good she could do with that brain power is deminished.

I don't actually care either. Both are smart and do their job in the way that the viewers of their respective stations want. But whether here or on FOX, I see a ton of attacks on Maddow and zero on Carlson. The OP and those agreeing with him seem outraged that she would spin things. Please. The woman is nowhere near the outright lies I see on FOX every single day. That people take the news opinionators on either station seriously, is laughable to me.

I don't actually care either. Both are smart and do their job in the way that the viewers of their respective stations want. But whether here or on FOX, I see a ton of attacks on Maddow and zero on Carlson. The OP and those agreeing with him seem outraged that she would spin things. Please. The woman is nowhere near the outright lies I see on FOX every single day. That people take the news opinionators on either station seriously, is laughable to me.

I watch MSNBC about as much if not a little more at times than Fox just so I can keep up with the spin and lies that they put out. I have found that they are bigger fibbers than Fox.

I watch MSNBC about as much if not a little more at times than Fox just so I can keep up with the spin and lies that they put out. I have found that they are bigger fibbers than Fox.

fibbers... They're Batten Liars....... watch them for a months, watch fox as well.
After the month do some research to see which are the liars. Its always the Liberals.
Liberals are Constitutional Traitors and should be deported to Europe where they belong.

Blues

fibbers... They're Batten Liars....... watch them for a months, watch fox as well.
After the month do some research to see which are the liars. Its always the Liberals.
Liberals are Constitutional Traitors and should be deported to Europe where they belong.

Blues

Where's your pic so we can compare you to Rachel?

Blues

Okay, I watch both FOX and MSNBC and I'll take that challenge with you and Navy - but I gotta tell ya. This is playing hold 'em where I get to look at your cards... Okay, which station tells the BIGGEST AND MOST OFTEN OUTRIGHT LIES! (not spin but outright lies!).
I'll even start! Here's my absolute favorite of the last two months.

Glenn Beck: "Obama is going to enslave all of mankind by November of 2011"

Happy to provide a link! Now I knew this was a lie because Obama would obviously wait until after the 2012 before doing something like that! Otherwise, it might seriously hurt his chances for re-election.

Okay, your turn! Top that!

While anyone in America can sue anyone else for almost anything, I don't see a case here. It's weak on both facts and precedent. Although Maddow may have deleted portions of the quote, she did not willfully or intentionally alter publicized statements.
MSNBC, FOX, World News Daily, DailyKos and especially AmericanThinker (who has in fact willfully misrepresented facts) would all be out of business if this case had a snowballs chance in hell.

Like you said, it may increase the ratings of Maddow though.

You dont think claiming the guy called for the deaths of homosexuals when he said no such thing might be defamatory? Or that this was done in reckless disregard of the truth?

The law is tricky that way. That's why it's extremely difficult to win defam, libel and slander cases. It's doesn't matter I think. It's a matter of legal precedent and more importantly what a judge thinks. I mean, I saw an episode of Glenn Beck where he stated definitely, that Obama is conspiring to enslave all of mankind within the next few months (I figured he'd wait at least another year as that would definitely hurt his chances for reelection). I would consider that defamation. But for him to sue would be as frivolous as this case is. It's publicity and it will help both sides - at the cost of taxpayer dollars of course....

I believe one of the ways the law is tricky is that public figures are much less likely to win these cases simply because they are public figures and, thereby, more open to scrutiny and etc. by the press.

But this guy is a private citizen and not a public figure. So I think MSNBC should take his claim very seriously because, as you said, it will all come down to what a judge thinks about what was said about him over MSNBC’s public airwaves.

You dont think claiming the guy called for the deaths of homosexuals when he said no such thing might be defamatory? Or that this was done in reckless disregard of the truth?

The law is tricky that way. That's why it's extremely difficult to win defam, libel and slander cases. It's doesn't matter I think. It's a matter of legal precedent and more importantly what a judge thinks. I mean, I saw an episode of Glenn Beck where he stated definitely, that Obama is conspiring to enslave all of mankind within the next few months (I figured he'd wait at least another year as that would definitely hurt his chances for reelection). I would consider that defamation. But for him to sue would be as frivolous as this case is. It's publicity and it will help both sides - at the cost of taxpayer dollars of course....

I believe one of the ways the law is tricky is that public figures are much less likely to win these cases simply because they are public figures and, thereby, more open to scrutiny and etc. by the press.

But this guy is a private citizen and not a public figure. So I think MSNBC should take his claim very seriously because, as you said, it will all come down to what a judge thinks about what was said about him over MSNBC’s public airwaves.

This guy is (or at least does his best to be) a public figure.

Okay, I watch both FOX and MSNBC and I'll take that challenge with you and Navy - but I gotta tell ya. This is playing hold 'em where I get to look at your cards... Okay, which station tells the BIGGEST AND MOST OFTEN OUTRIGHT LIES! (not spin but outright lies!).
I'll even start! Here's my absolute favorite of the last two months.

Glenn Beck: "Obama is going to enslave all of mankind by November of 2011"

Happy to provide a link! Now I knew this was a lie because Obama would obviously wait until after the 2012 before doing something like that! Otherwise, it might seriously hurt his chances for re-election.

Okay, your turn! Top that!

That's a good one IndiLogic. I agree, bad on us if we put Obama in a second term.

A huge problem I have with MSNBC is how they play the race card. It a'int always about racism. Fanning those flames keeps the base fired up and shows that the left is the party of caregivers, not like those evil white conservatives.

Blues

Where's your pic so we can compare you to Rachel?
MSNBC is more tolerable than Fox, less entertaining than Russia Today but low quality journalism in comparison to the BBC.

Forum List

Back