R.I. Town Manager Forbids the Flying of the Gadsden Flag (Dont tread on me)

PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2009
America's Home Town
Gadsden Flag Now Officially "Offensive" In America

1274968589_d2e5.jpg

WARREN, RI — The Warren Fire Department drew fire Friday morning when members raised one of the nation’s oldest - but these days, controversial - flags from one of three flagpoles they maintain at the Warren Town Common.

Their flying of the Gadsden Flag, a Revolutionary War-era flag depicting a coiled rattlesnake with the slogan "Don’t Tread On Me" below it, angered some residents because though it was originally created to protest the British government prior to and during the American Revolution, it has become a symbol to some of the American Tea Party movement. That conservative movement questions many of the policies, particularly fiscal, of the federal government.

The flag was raised alongside the state and U.S. flags early Friday morning. By 10:30 a.m., Warren Fire Chief Al Galinelli had received a call about it from the town manager. By the afternoon, it was taken down.

“At first I thought it was a joke,” said the chief. “The flag was put up because it’s a flag from the revolution and a lot of Warren guys fought in the revolution. It was only put up to memorialize them. Flying the flag does not mean we’re supporting any political party or movment.”

The department has control over what flags it raises at the common, and when. Usually, the POW/MIA flag flies on the third pole along side the state and U.S. flags. But with the return of warm weather and the impending Memorial Day and Fireman’s Memorial parades, crews decided to fly them again and thought a good change of pace would be to fly the Gadsden flag, the chief said.

“It was only done for history’s sake. If people got offended I apologize. I just hope the American flag isn’t offending anyone, becaue that’s one flag I’ll never take down.”

What a misleading title. It might be offensive in that little town...but it doesn't translate that it's offensive in America.

Let me guess, this is from a teabagger site, correct?

What a misleading title. It might be offensive in that little town...but it doesn't translate that it's offensive in America.

Its supposedly an "American Independants" website.

Either way that town has banned the flying of the flag which is the point of the story and the thread.

It should not be with the U.S flag. If people want to do it on their private property, so be it. However, whatever original meaning that flag has is gone by the wayside as the tea party has taken it and turned it into their new Revolution flag.

The article of the title is horribly misleading, and I don't even want to bother with the site from the looks of it.

Either way that town has banned the flying of the flag which is the point of the story and the thread.
I guess that is their right...it isn't an official flag and it is being used for political purposes. No different than disallowing an RNC or a DNC flag.

The town hasn't banned the flying of the flag. They took it down because someone got rightfully offended at it being flown on government property. Nobody had their personal civil liberties taken away from this incident.

What is it with the ignorant articles about RI today? (No offense Pilgrim)

Has it? Or just ones on government property?

It should not be with the U.S flag. If people want to do it on their private property, so be it. However, whatever original meaning that flag has is gone by the wayside as the tea party has taken it and turned it into their new Revolution flag.

The article of the title is horribly misleading, and I don't even want to bother with the site from the looks of it.
Yep...sad that the Tea Party has stooped once again to shameless lying.

They banned it from flying from a public building, I guarantee you they cannot keep a private citizen from flying that flag.

What is so offensive about the don't tread on me? ONly a rattlesanake should feel threatened. Suck it up you wuzzie in RI.

I guess that is their right...it isn't an official flag and it is being used for political purposes. No different than disallowing an RNC or a DNC flag.

Ah but were they flying it for a political reason? According to the dept they were flying it because many who fought in the revolution and died wer from warren RI.

Are you trying to say that that little town is not in America? What country do you think Warren, RI is in? Canada maybe?

It sounds like it simply banned flying it over the firehouse - a public building - where typically, the US Flag and the State Flags are appropriate.:eusa_eh:

My town flys the US Flag

AmericanFlag.jpg

It flew under George Bush and flies under Barack Obama

Last edited:

Absolute poppycock.

Using your logic, flying the American Flag itself should be forbidden because it is commonly displayed by Tea Partiers.

Ah but were they flying it for a political reason? According to the dept they were flying it because many who fought in the revolution and died wer from warren RI.
Then why the lying headline at your link?

Then why the lying headline at your link?

probably because its a politically oriented website.

I didn't make the headline and dont care about it as much as i do the story. I dont like that they wouldn't fly that flag in warren.

Warran got stomped on by the british in the revolution and my town helped start it and had a special relationship with it.

now you have some context

Town of Warren, Rhode Island Government

Forum List

Back