S.F. considers banning sale of pets except fish

Jeremy

TRANSFER!!!
Jun 11, 2010

The real problem, staff said, is hamsters.

People buy the high-strung, nocturnal rodents because they're under the temporary impression that hamsters are cute and cuddly. But the new owners quickly learn that hamsters are, in fact, prone to biting, gnawing through expensive wiring and maniacally racing on their exercise wheels at 2 a.m.

So the animals end up at the shelter. Just about every species has its own rescue group in San Francisco, but no one seems to want hamsters. Hamsters are the No. 1 animal euthanized at the city's shelter, said San Francisco Animal Care and Control director Rebecca Katz.

"It's definitely a concern," she said. "They're an impulse buy, and we do sometimes get tons of them, especially babies."

I think it's safe to say that the hampster has fallen off the wheel in SF.

The real problem, staff said, is hamsters.

People buy the high-strung, nocturnal rodents because they're under the temporary impression that hamsters are cute and cuddly. But the new owners quickly learn that hamsters are, in fact, prone to biting, gnawing through expensive wiring and maniacally racing on their exercise wheels at 2 a.m.

So the animals end up at the shelter. Just about every species has its own rescue group in San Francisco, but no one seems to want hamsters. Hamsters are the No. 1 animal euthanized at the city's shelter, said San Francisco Animal Care and Control director Rebecca Katz.

"It's definitely a concern," she said. "They're an impulse buy, and we do sometimes get tons of them, especially babies."

I think it's safe to say that the hampster has fallen off the wheel in SF.

they need some shit eating bacteria pets in SF.

Making things illegal just encourages liberals to buy whatever it is. That is it!!! Make jobs illegal!

richard-gere.jpg

"I do not support this proposed law." - Richard Gere

San Francisco is where the movement to declare pets as "companions" instead of pets began. The reason they wanted to do that was so animals could eventually obtain voting rights (no shit) and be used to prop up their crazy politics that nobody else in the world wants anything to do with.

San Francisco is where the movement to declare pets as "companions" instead of pets began. The reason they wanted to do that was so animals could eventually obtain voting rights (no shit) and be used to prop up their crazy politics that nobody else in the world wants anything to do with.

Okay, Allie...now is time for you to use your arsenal back up your statements with some facts.

Okay, Allie...now is time for you to use your arsenal back up your statements with some facts.

Here you go...
they wanted to change owners into "guardians". The objective was to establish RIGHTS for animals. Do you know what a "right" is or will you demand I define that for you, as well?

In 2003:
"Animals need to be regarded as more than the material property of an owner," Dr. Elliot Katz, president of In Defense of Animals, said in January after the San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted 8-3 in favor of the measure.

As part of the "They Are Not Our Property, We Are Not Their Owners" campaign, IDA, a California-based animal rights organization, tried unsuccessfully in 1999 to get the city ordinance changed to recognize pet owners as guardians also. Their effort was widely publicized, however, and led to similar initiatives across the country (see JAVMA, April 15, 2001, page 1240)."

"Dr. Duane Flemming, a lawyer and owner of a veterinary ophthalmology practice in Pleasant Hill, Calif., believes that by changing the legal terminology, animal rights groups such as IDA are laying the groundwork for an eventual legal challenge to the status of pets as property.

"There is an underlying goal here, and that is to attain standing at court," Dr. Flemming explained, while noting that animal rights groups have so far been unsuccessful in their attempts to sue for the interest of an animal."

Pet owners in San Francisco become 'pet guardians' - March 1, 2003

Have I told you recently what an idiot you are?

I hope the law includes the banning of puppy mills and their retail outlets.

Allie, you clearly failed to read your own link. The people who wanted to do so were unsuccessful. That's like saying a group of people tried to legalize slavery again, it failed, but the entire state tried to legalize slavery.

You're crazy batshit if you believe that logic says Yoda.

Here you go...
they wanted to change owners into "guardians". The objective was to establish RIGHTS for animals. Do you know what a "right" is or will you demand I define that for you, as well?

In 2003:
"Animals need to be regarded as more than the material property of an owner," Dr. Elliot Katz, president of In Defense of Animals, said in January after the San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted 8-3 in favor of the measure.

As part of the "They Are Not Our Property, We Are Not Their Owners" campaign, IDA, a California-based animal rights organization, tried unsuccessfully in 1999 to get the city ordinance changed to recognize pet owners as guardians also. Their effort was widely publicized, however, and led to similar initiatives across the country (see JAVMA, April 15, 2001, page 1240)."

"Dr. Duane Flemming, a lawyer and owner of a veterinary ophthalmology practice in Pleasant Hill, Calif., believes that by changing the legal terminology, animal rights groups such as IDA are laying the groundwork for an eventual legal challenge to the status of pets as property.

"There is an underlying goal here, and that is to attain standing at court," Dr. Flemming explained, while noting that animal rights groups have so far been unsuccessful in their attempts to sue for the interest of an animal."

FAIL.

You have yet to prove where they were doing this "so animals could eventually obtain voting rights".

I'll give you another chance so that your FAIL does not become an EPIC FAIL.

when i heard it on the radio i thought they were talking about the band PHISH

Nothing from California surprises me anymore. It is no wonder that they are the dead-weight on our Union.

Each night I pray for God to take her. Just push her into the sea, or magically make her disappear, because California is an embarrassment to the US, and even Mexico doesn't want her back. Even Mexico knows California is nothing but a bunch of losers, whackos and idiots.

Here you go...

In 2003:

FAIL.

You have yet to prove where they were doing this "so animals could eventually obtain voting rights".

I'll give you another chance so that your FAIL does not become an EPIC FAIL.

You're a fucking idiot, dr.

Forum List

Back