R.I. Town Manager Forbids the Flying of the Gadsden Flag (Dont tread on me)

I still don't get your anger, really. It's not an official flag. The US and the state flag are...there's no reason for a city/county government to condone divisiveness on public property.

You can pretend it isn't the tea party connection that makes it divisive but you'd be being intellectually dishonest to do so.

it has become a symbol to some of the American Tea Party movement.

No, they don't get to claim that symbol.

Sorry, but Americans own that symbol collectively.

Not just a some of us, ALL of us.

The town hasn't banned the flying of the flag. They took it down because someone got rightfully offended at it being flown on government property. Nobody had their personal civil liberties taken away from this incident.

What is it with the ignorant articles about RI today? (No offense Pilgrim)

Why would anyone but an idiot be offended by a flag that was used during the revolutionary war?

So much for the, Don't Tread on Me", part. I smell lawsuit....

I don't. This happened on government property. The thread title is totally wrong and results in posts like these.

My guess is it is some type of turf war between the fire department and the town's manager. A fireman will step forward with a Revolutionary War relative and sue. There is already past practice of other war flags (Vietnam).

The town hasn't banned the flying of the flag. They took it down because someone got rightfully offended at it being flown on government property. Nobody had their personal civil liberties taken away from this incident.

What is it with the ignorant articles about RI today? (No offense Pilgrim)

Why would anyone but an idiot be offended by a flag that was used during the revolutionary war?

Idiots don't use reason, so why would they need one here all of a sudden?

A bar I visited in Buffalo was marked by the Gadsden Flag above its door...and was decorated with images and memorabilia of the American Revolution. The owner was an expert on American history, and also a walking trivia machine.

Twas the Founding Father's Bar.

pa160102.jpg

I hate a pig berate me and question me at length about that flag. I told him it was the sign of the militia and he didn't particularly like that answer.

Gadsden Flag Now Officially "Offensive" In America

1274968589_d2e5.jpg

WARREN, RI — The Warren Fire Department drew fire Friday morning when members raised one of the nation’s oldest - but these days, controversial - flags from one of three flagpoles they maintain at the Warren Town Common.

Their flying of the Gadsden Flag, a Revolutionary War-era flag depicting a coiled rattlesnake with the slogan "Don’t Tread On Me" below it, angered some residents because though it was originally created to protest the British government prior to and during the American Revolution, it has become a symbol to some of the American Tea Party movement. That conservative movement questions many of the policies, particularly fiscal, of the federal government.

The flag was raised alongside the state and U.S. flags early Friday morning. By 10:30 a.m., Warren Fire Chief Al Galinelli had received a call about it from the town manager. By the afternoon, it was taken down.

“At first I thought it was a joke,” said the chief. “The flag was put up because it’s a flag from the revolution and a lot of Warren guys fought in the revolution. It was only put up to memorialize them. Flying the flag does not mean we’re supporting any political party or movment.”

The department has control over what flags it raises at the common, and when. Usually, the POW/MIA flag flies on the third pole along side the state and U.S. flags. But with the return of warm weather and the impending Memorial Day and Fireman’s Memorial parades, crews decided to fly them again and thought a good change of pace would be to fly the Gadsden flag, the chief said.

“It was only done for history’s sake. If people got offended I apologize. I just hope the American flag isn’t offending anyone, becaue that’s one flag I’ll never take down.”

If the tea party movement hadn't comandeered that flag as their logo, there would be no problem. Flying it outside town offices assumes the entire town is politically motivated toward the NEW tea party agenda. This is tantamount to flying the rebel flag in the South, in my opinion.

I thought the American flag was the symbol of the revolution. :confused:

The American flag is way more than a symbol of the revolution.

At its core the stars and stripes is the symbol of the United States of America.

It has 13 stripes to represent the colonies and 50 stars to represent the state.

1274968589_d2e5.jpg

WARREN, RI — The Warren Fire Department drew fire Friday morning when members raised one of the nation’s oldest - but these days, controversial - flags from one of three flagpoles they maintain at the Warren Town Common.

Their flying of the Gadsden Flag, a Revolutionary War-era flag depicting a coiled rattlesnake with the slogan "Don’t Tread On Me" below it, angered some residents because though it was originally created to protest the British government prior to and during the American Revolution, it has become a symbol to some of the American Tea Party movement. That conservative movement questions many of the policies, particularly fiscal, of the federal government.

The flag was raised alongside the state and U.S. flags early Friday morning. By 10:30 a.m., Warren Fire Chief Al Galinelli had received a call about it from the town manager. By the afternoon, it was taken down.

“At first I thought it was a joke,” said the chief. “The flag was put up because it’s a flag from the revolution and a lot of Warren guys fought in the revolution. It was only put up to memorialize them. Flying the flag does not mean we’re supporting any political party or movment.”

The department has control over what flags it raises at the common, and when. Usually, the POW/MIA flag flies on the third pole along side the state and U.S. flags. But with the return of warm weather and the impending Memorial Day and Fireman’s Memorial parades, crews decided to fly them again and thought a good change of pace would be to fly the Gadsden flag, the chief said.

“It was only done for history’s sake. If people got offended I apologize. I just hope the American flag isn’t offending anyone, becaue that’s one flag I’ll never take down.”

If the tea party movement hadn't comandeered that flag as their logo, there would be no problem. Flying it outside town offices assumes the entire town is politically motivated toward the NEW tea party agenda. This is tantamount to flying the rebel flag in the South, in my opinion.

How is it tantamount to the rebel flag? That sound ludicris

1274968589_d2e5.jpg

I think that it's fine....next week, they will put up the Stars and Bars.

1274968589_d2e5.jpg

Or an RNC flag or a DNC flag for that matter.

My brother and his wife are part of the "Tea Party" movement.

They have a HUGE Gadsden Flag flyin on both their properties, their home and thier lake house, so those coming by their boats can see it.

To them it IS a sign that they are part of the movement, and to let others know about it.

And, it's their private property, so they have every right to do that.

Gadsden flag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes tea partiers like the flag due to its historical signifigance but its a symbol of american's fighting for individual independance from the tyranny of government.

It has a LONG historical tradition of representing this and the specific town in question also has very strong historical tie to the actual revolution and the flag (along with my home town whom sent many people that founded the town in R.I. which is why I know about it)

Check out some of the Flag's history if any of you want to learn about it so your more knowledgeable when discussing it if it comes up again.

Considered [the gadsen] one of the first flags of the United States, the flag was later replaced by the current Stars and Stripes (or Old Glory) flag. Since the Revolution, the flag has seen times of reintroduction as a symbol of American patriotism, a symbol of disagreement with government, or a symbol of support for civil liberties

Last edited:

Forum List

Back