Question.. How Would You Feel If A Catholic "BISHOP" was running for POTUS?

A responsible post to a valid question. Thanks. OK..so you would, under certain circustances, support and vote for a Catholic Bishop for president and maintain that his religious views are off limits?

Absolutely. We have a provision in our government that no religious test be given to anyone in order to hold public office. This includes a test to determine that they have no religion.

What it would come down to is, does that person's values represent my values more closely than the other candidate. They don't have to have the same religion, or no religion, just possess the values that reflect my own. In that case, a Catholic Bishop would more closely reflect that I believe than obama who is a Christian, until it gets him no political mileage. Then he's not a Christian. When before a muslim group, he's got a tidy muslim childhood all ready to go. The man stands for nothing and has no values not subject to being changed according to the audience.

Interesting. You would vote for a catholic Bishop for president. I don't see this country goig so meekly to that end. Maybe I'm wrong but I believe it would set off a debate and possibly religious riots of dare I say "biblical proportions".. :lol:

You might not remember it, but I certainly do. Those were the exact arguments used against Kennedy when he ran for office. Nixon said that America would be under the control of the Pope and all our laws would be ecumenical. There were threats of religious riots too as the US laws became the laws of the Vatican. It didn't happen.

Absolutely. We have a provision in our government that no religious test be given to anyone in order to hold public office. This includes a test to determine that they have no religion.

What it would come down to is, does that person's values represent my values more closely than the other candidate. They don't have to have the same religion, or no religion, just possess the values that reflect my own. In that case, a Catholic Bishop would more closely reflect that I believe than obama who is a Christian, until it gets him no political mileage. Then he's not a Christian. When before a muslim group, he's got a tidy muslim childhood all ready to go. The man stands for nothing and has no values not subject to being changed according to the audience.

Interesting. You would vote for a catholic Bishop for president. I don't see this country goig so meekly to that end. Maybe I'm wrong but I believe it would set off a debate and possibly religious riots of dare I say "biblical proportions".. :lol:

You might not remember it, but I certainly do. Those were the exact arguments used against Kennedy when he ran for office. Nixon said that America would be under the control of the Pope and all our laws would be ecumenical. There were threats of religious riots too as the US laws became the laws of the Vatican. It didn't happen.

I'm 63. I remember EVERYTHING. Ya all true.. and Kennedy( whom I detested) was just an average catholic. Now it seems to me that the stakes have been raised significantly. Nobody but the Mormans took George Romney's presidential bid seriously. He probably would have been assasinated if he was the GOP nominee. So here we are and NOW we are not even allowed to MENTION that a cult Bishop might have allegiences we might not be comfortable with?

Impossible you say? Am I wrong about Mittens being a BISHOP?

my dad was both a bishop and a Stake President just like Romney. He worked all day and then did the church work at night. He was not paid

Really. So are Morman Bishops similar to Bishops in other religions like say catholic? I keep hearing that Mormans are christians. Does a Morman Bishop have the same level of hierarchy in the Morman church as does a catholic Bishop in the catholic church?

I don't know what bishops do in other religions. But Bishops in the Mormon church are more like Pastors of evangelical Christians. One differences is a Mormon Bishop is over a geographical area and if that is the area you live in that's where you're supposed to go. Bishops are married and preside over a congregation of -3-4- hundred. They are unpaid. I've never seen or heard politics from the pulpit of a Mormon mtg and I'm 62

my dad was both a bishop and a Stake President just like Romney. He worked all day and then did the church work at night. He was not paid

Really. So are Morman Bishops similar to Bishops in other religions like say catholic? I keep hearing that Mormans are christians. Does a Morman Bishop have the same level of hierarchy in the Morman church as does a catholic Bishop in the catholic church?

I don't know what bishops do in other religions. But Bishops in the Mormon church are more like Pastors of evangelical Christians. One differences is a Mormon Bishop is over a geographical area and if that is the area you live in that's where you're supposed to go. Bishops are married and preside over a congregation of -3-4- hundred. They are unpaid. I've never seen or heard politics from the pulpit of a Mormon mtg and I'm 62

So that French Chateau Mittens did his missionary position in ..he had to pay for himself?

Curious...how many wine drinkin frogs did he turn into tea totalin Mormans?

As a rule, id have no problem with a Catholic Bishop as President. The Catholic Church might.

Of course, Id have to evaluate the mans life, character, issues, before i made a determination whether to support him. Id also have to look at his potential opponent.

Him being a Bishop really wouldnt facter into my decisions, though im sure the acts of charity and the character he has shown in that office, might.

As a rule, id have no problem with a Catholic Bishop as President. The Catholic Church might.

Of course, Id have to evaluate the mans life, character, issues, before i made a determination whether to support him. Id also have to look at his potential opponent.

Him being a Bishop really wouldnt facter into my decisions, though im sure the acts of charity and the character he has shown in that office, might.

Ya...but then that pedophilia thing would raise it's ugly head. I'm not absolutely sure but there may not be a catholic Bishop who's hands are 100% squeeky clean in the protection of the chimos.

Ya...but then that pedophilia thing would raise it's ugly head. I'm not absolutely sure but there may not be a catholic Bishop who's hands are 100% squeeky clean in the protection of the chimos.

Sounds like a teacher! Or, a coach.

Nope. They arent the same in hierarchy at all. Do you know anything about Catholics or Mormons?

In the rhetorical world of Huggy, "bishop" has the SAME meaning in the religion of Catholicism as it does in the religion of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Is this correct?

Anyone?

LOL, you are so full of shit :)

No. Any faithful member in good standing that has moved through the universal priesthood ( meaning all members that attend and go to classes) can be called to be Bishop. They have no authority except at their Church. They do not get paid, they do it on their own time while working a normal job. They have no real influence above them or any where but the church they are Bishop of. They have no authority nor are they appointed by the Salt Lake Hierarchy.

I get it that you hate colored people but this thread is about Hierarchy in religions/cults running for POTUS.

Who mentioned black people, oh right you the racist.

Sad everything has to be explained to you. What is more important to you the person's religion or what they actually DID in life? I would say there are lots of folks that pretend to be religious, it takes what they DO to know the difference. So, I answered NO to your question, there needed no elaboration. But since you are trying to push a religious bigotry angle I had to ask the above questions. Which of course you answered in the normal insulting liberal way.

Pardon me for having the slightest bit of curiosity about a subject that not even one person on USMB has has the balls to ask. After all Mittens is running as a candidate to an office which sits the chair of the leader of the free world. Hardly worth vetting right? :clap2:

You sure don't mind that Obama has never been vetted. Now do you?

Who mentioned black people, oh right you the racist.

Sad everything has to be explained to you. What is more important to you the person's religion or what they actually DID in life? I would say there are lots of folks that pretend to be religious, it takes what they DO to know the difference. So, I answered NO to your question, there needed no elaboration. But since you are trying to push a religious bigotry angle I had to ask the above questions. Which of course you answered in the normal insulting liberal way.

Pardon me for having the slightest bit of curiosity about a subject that not even one person on USMB has has the balls to ask. After all Mittens is running as a candidate to an office which sits the chair of the leader of the free world. Hardly worth vetting right? :clap2:

Sorry to hear about the "accident" that left you in a coma thruout 2008. :lol:

I got so sick of listening to the recordings of that stupid Rev Wright that year that I damned near pulled my hair out...cept I can't go there seein as how I have such a great head of it..

I got so sick of listening to the recordings of that stupid Rev Wright that year that I damned near pulled my hair out...cept I can't go there seein as how I have such a great head of it..

Because the looping of the Shitty Reverend's moronic rants is the same thing as vetting candidate Obama.

Yeah.

Check.

Of course.

You make a compelling point, Smugz.

So that French Chateau Mittens did his missionary position in ..he had to pay for himself?

Curious...how many wine drinkin frogs did he turn into tea totalin Mormans?

Tithing from the church helps pay for Missionary work. The Missionaries have very little and live on a strict budget. There bikes and if they are lucky a car are provided by the local or international group housing them as is their housing. They have little to no money and are on a strict regimen while on a Mission.

By the way? All young adults in the church are encouraged to go on missions. It is expected you will do so. Not all missionaries go over seas, every Stake in the States has Missionaries.

Because the looping of the Shitty Reverend's moronic rants is the same thing as vetting candidate Obama.

Yeah.

Check.

Of course.

You make a compelling point, Smugz.

Well counselor..this thread IS about religious vetting ...if that is even allowed anymore. I am not sure WHAT the deal was with Wright...but they sure made a big deal about it. How that nonsense from the good reverend applied to Barry I'm not exactly sure. But after THAT fiasco calling Obama a muslim is beyond laughable.

obama calls himself a muslim, when he's in a muslim country. When he's in a muslim country the call the prayer is the prettiest sound on earth.

Forum List

Back