Question for those that support sanctuary cities/states.

How should illegal immigration be controlled? It seems that the mindset of the sanctuary city/state crowd is that once a person arrives illegally (or over stays a visa), that person should be welcomed to stay, establish permanent residence, become legally employed, receive government services, acquire a driver’s license, enroll children into public schools, and eventually seek citizenship and have the right to vote. In other words, the illegal immigrant is to be granted all the rights, benefits and protections as legal immigrants. How can we control immigration if we don’t treat illegal immigration as a crime and allow illegal immigrants to simply blend into our society? Also, if you believe we should have open boarders making all immigrants legal, just say so!
Question for you.
1: If immigration laws are federal and we have a law enforcement agency who enforces those laws why should overworked local police forces do the job of the feds?
2: If "states rights" apply to every federal law conservatives hate why do they not apply here?
3: If state/local police determine it is far safer for their citizens to allow people to report crimes without fear of being deported why should some federal employee tell them, "We will decide what your state will do?"
1) Local LEO do not round up illegals, yet as they come into contact with them via detaining them for a crime, they are supposed to run their info through their database and if they come back as illegally here/wanted by the feds, they are then supposed to hold them. Local LEO do not enforce federal immigration law.
2)See 1.
3)The only time an illegals info is ran is when they are detained, not when they are reporting a crime. The feds merely require the local LEO to notify the date the illegal would be released from their custody and to hold them for up to 72 hours as allowed by law so the feds can pick them up.
If anyone is arrested for a crime their info goes into the system. If they are "Illegal" ICE is informed immediately. If you believe sanctuary city means that cops arrest an "Illegal" for murder or rape, then find out they are illegal and say never mind you can go free, then it is pointless to discuss this with you. It simply does not work that way. These cops and mayors have said we won't actively do ICE's job. We do not have the time or the money to do their work.

You're right. People like to demagogue the issue. Rapists, murderers, etc. are held accountable for those crimes.

If, on the other hand, the only thing that a person has on the record is an accusation of being undocumented, the locals in San Francisco let it go. It's not that uncommon.

I have a relative (by marriage) that was picked up for having a joint on him. He was also on probation in that same county. The city charged him $50 for the joint and let him go. It wasn't even worth their time to hold him on the probation violation. This practice of Sanctuary cities is no big deal. It simply means the locals will not hold a person for being undocumented. It's not their job. Leave it to the anti-immigrant people and one day the IRS will be chasing you for a traffic violation.
Nobody has said that rapists and murderers aren't held accountable for their crimes. SMFH

The issue is if they are illegally here they are to inform DHS about their status and if DHS places a hold on that person, then they should hold that person for up to 72 hours as allowed by law for ICE to pick them up, the problem is sanctuary cities don't inform DHS nor do they hold the illegal as requested no matter how heinous the crime was.

I wonder why CA AG Becerra recently threatened business owners if they co-operate with ICE for illegals that may be employed by them. SMFH
If they are arrested for a crime that's exactly what happens. If they are not the local/state police do not go out and do ICE's job for them. I'm done. You fail to understand the fact's and issue at hand either because you do not want to understand, lack the mental capacity to understand or are a Russian bot. At this point my guess is that it is all three.

If anyone is arrested for a crime their info goes into the system. If they are "Illegal" ICE is informed immediately. If you believe sanctuary city means that cops arrest an "Illegal" for murder or rape, then find out they are illegal and say never mind you can go free, then it is pointless to discuss this with you. It simply does not work that way. These cops and mayors have said we won't actively do ICE's job. We do not have the time or the money to do their work.
Sanctuary cities don't even want to report the illegal through the system. The feds nor the GOP have ever stated that local LEO are to go out and arrest illegals just because they are illegal. The issue being that LEO supervisors are telling their officers to not even inquire about a persons status. Your neighborhood cop may be allowed to arrest undocumented immigrants
If you’re an undocumented immigrant in the city of Sacramento, the local police are under orders not to inquire about your citizenship. The same goes in the unincorporated areas of Sacramento County patrolled by the Sacramento Sheriff’s Department.
This IS the issue.
Again PARTIAL truth. The cops do not ask for "your papers" if you report a crime, witness a crime or look like an illegal alien (whatever that might be), because, again, IT AINT THEIR JOB. If they arrest you, you go into the system and ICE comes for you after you serve your time for the crime. If you want people to ask people about their citizenship we have a police force to do that called ICE.

Perhaps the Republican Party, Fox News and Breitbart should open up their wallets and pay local police to do ICE's job. Or again maybe Trump will tell all conservatives while they are working as a lawyer (or whatever) they also will knock on doors collecting taxes for the IRS.

It's a pointless conversation at this point. You believe cops are letting rapists and murderers go free once they find out they are illegal. Ridiculous. Perhaps you think if you cross the street when the sign says "don't walk" they should check your personal finances to see if you have paid all your taxes? IT AINT THEIR JOB. Get it through your head. This is simply a ploy to fire up those who hate immigration and Democrats. Nothing else.
That's right, you are giving PARTIAL truth. I never stated the cops ask for "your papers" if you report a crime, witness a crime or look like an illegal alien (whatever that might be), because, again, IT AINT THEIR JOB.

Many local LEO supervisors are telling their officers to not even run them through the system, thus allowing many low level criminals to be allowed to remain. Local LEO are required by law to determine the identity/status of the person they detain. That is their job.

I don't believe cops are letting rapists and murderers go free once they find out they are illegal, it is a documented fact that Progressive Democrats have done just that. Get that through your head . SMFH
Simply false. It is a proven fact YOU BELIEVE that lie because Fox News and Russian bots told you so. Ask a cop or a mayor in those cities. They have said time and time again they do not have the resources to do ICE's job for them and THAT is an actual 'sanctuary city.' I'm done with you. I can't decide if you are a Russian bot, or you are simply one of the suckers they target.

Now I'll let you go because I see your unicorn is here to fly you back to make-believe land. When you get there say "hello" to Hannity for me, kid. lmao
LMFAO Your ideological stupidity is hilarious. Nobody is asking them to do ICE's job, yet it is their job (local LEO) to determine the identity /status of the person they detain. SMFH
Immigration laws are NOT local. They are Federal laws enforced by the Federal Agency ICE. To deny that implies that as a Russian you do not understand the American system of law.

Question for you.
1: If immigration laws are federal and we have a law enforcement agency who enforces those laws why should overworked local police forces do the job of the feds?
2: If "states rights" apply to every federal law conservatives hate why do they not apply here?
3: If state/local police determine it is far safer for their citizens to allow people to report crimes without fear of being deported why should some federal employee tell them, "We will decide what your state will do?"
1) Local LEO do not round up illegals, yet as they come into contact with them via detaining them for a crime, they are supposed to run their info through their database and if they come back as illegally here/wanted by the feds, they are then supposed to hold them. Local LEO do not enforce federal immigration law.
2)See 1.
3)The only time an illegals info is ran is when they are detained, not when they are reporting a crime. The feds merely require the local LEO to notify the date the illegal would be released from their custody and to hold them for up to 72 hours as allowed by law so the feds can pick them up.

You're right. People like to demagogue the issue. Rapists, murderers, etc. are held accountable for those crimes.

If, on the other hand, the only thing that a person has on the record is an accusation of being undocumented, the locals in San Francisco let it go. It's not that uncommon.

I have a relative (by marriage) that was picked up for having a joint on him. He was also on probation in that same county. The city charged him $50 for the joint and let him go. It wasn't even worth their time to hold him on the probation violation. This practice of Sanctuary cities is no big deal. It simply means the locals will not hold a person for being undocumented. It's not their job. Leave it to the anti-immigrant people and one day the IRS will be chasing you for a traffic violation.
Nobody has said that rapists and murderers aren't held accountable for their crimes. SMFH

The issue is if they are illegally here they are to inform DHS about their status and if DHS places a hold on that person, then they should hold that person for up to 72 hours as allowed by law for ICE to pick them up, the problem is sanctuary cities don't inform DHS nor do they hold the illegal as requested no matter how heinous the crime was.

I wonder why CA AG Becerra recently threatened business owners if they co-operate with ICE for illegals that may be employed by them. SMFH
If they are arrested for a crime that's exactly what happens. If they are not the local/state police do not go out and do ICE's job for them. I'm done. You fail to understand the fact's and issue at hand either because you do not want to understand, lack the mental capacity to understand or are a Russian bot. At this point my guess is that it is all three.
San Francisco, a sanctuary city, has threatened their LEO to not co-operate and to not inform DHS when they release anybody they believe to be an illegal.

Please go and show where I stated local LEO were to go out and do ICE's job. urafuknidiot

Last edited:
Sanctuary cities don't even want to report the illegal through the system. The feds nor the GOP have ever stated that local LEO are to go out and arrest illegals just because they are illegal. The issue being that LEO supervisors are telling their officers to not even inquire about a persons status. Your neighborhood cop may be allowed to arrest undocumented immigrantsThis IS the issue.
Again PARTIAL truth. The cops do not ask for "your papers" if you report a crime, witness a crime or look like an illegal alien (whatever that might be), because, again, IT AINT THEIR JOB. If they arrest you, you go into the system and ICE comes for you after you serve your time for the crime. If you want people to ask people about their citizenship we have a police force to do that called ICE.

Perhaps the Republican Party, Fox News and Breitbart should open up their wallets and pay local police to do ICE's job. Or again maybe Trump will tell all conservatives while they are working as a lawyer (or whatever) they also will knock on doors collecting taxes for the IRS.

It's a pointless conversation at this point. You believe cops are letting rapists and murderers go free once they find out they are illegal. Ridiculous. Perhaps you think if you cross the street when the sign says "don't walk" they should check your personal finances to see if you have paid all your taxes? IT AINT THEIR JOB. Get it through your head. This is simply a ploy to fire up those who hate immigration and Democrats. Nothing else.
That's right, you are giving PARTIAL truth. I never stated the cops ask for "your papers" if you report a crime, witness a crime or look like an illegal alien (whatever that might be), because, again, IT AINT THEIR JOB.

Many local LEO supervisors are telling their officers to not even run them through the system, thus allowing many low level criminals to be allowed to remain. Local LEO are required by law to determine the identity/status of the person they detain. That is their job.

I don't believe cops are letting rapists and murderers go free once they find out they are illegal, it is a documented fact that Progressive Democrats have done just that. Get that through your head . SMFH
Simply false. It is a proven fact YOU BELIEVE that lie because Fox News and Russian bots told you so. Ask a cop or a mayor in those cities. They have said time and time again they do not have the resources to do ICE's job for them and THAT is an actual 'sanctuary city.' I'm done with you. I can't decide if you are a Russian bot, or you are simply one of the suckers they target.

Now I'll let you go because I see your unicorn is here to fly you back to make-believe land. When you get there say "hello" to Hannity for me, kid. lmao
LMFAO Your ideological stupidity is hilarious. Nobody is asking them to do ICE's job, yet it is their job (local LEO) to determine the identity /status of the person they detain. SMFH
Immigration laws are NOT local. They are Federal laws enforced by the Federal Agency ICE. To deny that implies that as a Russian you do not understand the American system of law.
SMFH were you dropped on your head as a child or were you simply born stupid?

Please show were I claim immigration laws are local? Now I'm a Russian? LMFAO

This is LITERALLY your statement: "Nobody is asking them to do ICE's job, yet it is their job (local LEO) to determine the identity /status of the person they detain."
Everyone who is DETAINED and is ILLEGAL is reported to ICE. People who are NOT DETAINED and have NOT COMMITTED a CRIME are not checked by the police. To send 100 cops around to knock on 10,000,000 doors to check status is not within the budget of local police. THAT is LITERALLY the job of the FEDERAL agency responsible to ENFORCE THAT FEDERAL LAW. Do you have a reading problem or a comprehension problem? There is not a single cop, mayor or official anywhere in this nation that does not report individuals arrested for crimes, to the FEDS for federal crimes. It is simply a hate fantasy of the overly gullible, majority of conservatives.
Federal Law Enforcement = Federal Laws. Local Law Enforcement = Local Laws. Period.

This is LITERALLY your statement: "Nobody is asking them to do ICE's job, yet it is their job (local LEO) to determine the identity /status of the person they detain."
Everyone who is DETAINED and is ILLEGAL is reported to ICE. People who are NOT DETAINED and have NOT COMMITTED a CRIME are not checked by the police. To send 100 cops around to knock on 10,000,000 doors to check status is not within the budget of local police. THAT is LITERALLY the job of the FEDERAL agency responsible to ENFORCE THAT FEDERAL LAW. Do you have a reading problem or a comprehension problem? There is not a single cop, mayor or official anywhere in this nation that does not report individuals arrested for crimes, to the FEDS for federal crimes. It is simply a hate fantasy of the overly gullible, majority of conservatives.
Federal Law Enforcement = Federal Laws. Local Law Enforcement = Local Laws. Period.
That's right, that is my statement, and it is the requirement of local LEO to do in general. SMFH Local LEO are required to identify the person they have come into contact with or detained, the SCOTUS has ruled on it.

No, not everyone that is detained and is illegal is reported to ICE, that IS the issue. San Francisco refuses to do just that, unless the criminal is a heinous offender. If an illegal is detained for non-violent crimes the local LEO are supposed to release them with no report to ICE, this is directly from the County Supervisors and the Mayor to the local LEO in SF.

Where did I ever claim that people who are NOT DETAINED and have NOT COMMITTED a CRIME are checked by the police? SMFH

Where have I stated local LEO were to go around knocking on doors?SMFH

You sure like to put words in peoples comments that aren't there just so you can knock down the very strawman you just created. watafuknidiot

The Board of Supervisors previously reaffirmed the Sanctuary City ordinance as written back in October, which held that the sheriff should only notify federal immigration authorities of the release of an inmate with no legal status if they have had a violent felony conviction in the past seven years, and they face another violent felony charge.

Former sheriff Ross Mirkarimi's policy barred communication with ICE in almost all circumstances. And as the Chronicle explains, under the new compromise legislation, Sheriff Hennessy has "discretion to notify immigration agents if the inmate had a violent or serious felony conviction in the past seven years or three or more lesser felonies arising from different events in the past five years... [Also] Hennessy may... notify immigration agents if the defendant has a conviction for a serious felony like murder or rape within five years."

The compromise came in that the person in question must not only be charged by law enforcement, but must also be determined likely guilty by a judge before any notification to federal agents can occur.

SF Clarifies Its Sanctuary City Policy, And Illegal Immigrants With Serious Felonies Are Exceptions

This is an actual Ordinance (City Law) in San Francisco.

Specifically, the Board will not change its non-binding resolution, one that is both symbolic and powerful, ordinance observed and upheld since 1989, that the sheriff should only notify federal immigration authorities of the release of an inmate with no legal status if they have had a violent felony conviction in the past seven years and face another violent felony charge.
SF's Sanctuary City Status Safe In Unanimous Vote, Rebuffing Conservative Media

Sometimes, you have to put trolls on ignore.

Forum List

Back