Question for those that oppose requiring a photo ID for voting

Okay, I will concede that trying to compare voter ID to the need for gun registration is just plain ludicrous. It's the kind of strawman that ConservaRepubs relish and live by. "Muslims are all terrorists because Amazonian Frogs can spit toxin" and other such nonsense. Yes guns should be registered and regulated. Duh. All metaphorical bs aside, No, no one has ever been sent to the hospital because a ballot was pointed at them. Duh part 2.

But strawman excluded, I see no problem with this law. Get an ID. If you can't, SC will send you an absentee ballot - says so right in the article you cite. Oh, and one other thing in the article you cite:

"The state is also giving free IDs to those that need them."

Kinda slaughters the ol' excuse horse before it gets out of the gate.

Okay, I will concede that trying to compare voter ID to the need for gun registration is just plain ludicrous. It's the kind of strawman that ConservaRepubs relish and live by. "Muslims are all terrorists because Amazonian Frogs can spit toxin" and other such nonsense. Yes guns should be registered and regulated. Duh. All metaphorical bs aside, No, no one has ever been sent to the hospital because a ballot was pointed at them. Duh part 2.

But strawman excluded, I see no problem with this law. Get an ID. If you can't, SC will send you an absentee ballot - says so right in the article you cite. Oh, and one other thing in the article you cite:

No one has ever been sent to the hospital because one of the numerous laws enacted has failed to be enforced. Hitler was greatly in favor of gun registration, too. Hmmm, I wonder where that got a few million Jews? Not to mention the German populace that might have objected to the treatment of other human beings...

No one has ever been sent to the hospital because one of the numerous laws enacted has failed to be enforced. Hitler was greatly in favor of gun registration, too. Hmmm, I wonder where that got a few million Jews? Not to mention the German populace that might have objected to the treatment of other human beings...

Wow. How original. The Hitler reference. Oooh. We marvel at your acumen. Tell ya what. When Hitler shoots you, give us a call.
Oh and how many gun laws has Obama proposed? I mean with all the hysterics displayed by the whackjobs the moment he took office, surely Obama has introduced at least ONE piece of legislation, right? Right? Oh shet. None? :eusa_whistle:

Um yeah. Errr, uhhh, Hey! How about that Hitler guy! :lol:

Wow. How original. The Hitler reference. Oooh. We marvel at your acumen. Tell ya what. When Hitler shoots you, give us a call.
Oh and how many gun laws has Obama proposed? I mean with all the hysterics displayed by the whackjobs the moment he took office, surely Obama has introduced at least ONE piece of legislation, right? Right? Oh shet. None? :eusa_whistle:

Obama's set up for gun law legislation backfired. Of course, selling guns to Mexican drug cartels might be considered an act of war

Obama's set up for gun law legislation backfired. Of course, selling guns to Mexican drug cartels might be considered an act of war.

So ya got nuthin? ZERO? I mean not even ONE law at least proposed and shot down???? NOTHING?:lol:

How embarrassing for you.

Well the good news is (and I know you will personally feel good about this), no one's shown up asking for my Glock and I wasn't one of those idiot whackjobs who ran out and dumped money into guns and ammo because the guy got elected.

Obama's set up for gun law legislation backfired. Of course, selling guns to Mexican drug cartels might be considered an act of war.

So ya got nuthin? ZERO? I mean not even ONE law at least proposed and shot down???? NOTHING?:lol:

Well the good news is (and I know you will personally feel good about this), no one's shown up asking for my Glock and I wasn't one of those idiot whackjobs who ran out and dumped money into guns and ammo because the guy got elected.

Maybe you should reconsider? It's probably good you live too far away to get shot while trying to loot my food supply.

Maybe you should reconsider? It's probably good you live too far away to get shot while trying to loot my food supply.

Your "Food Supply"??? :lol::lol::lol:

Pssst. I'll sell you space in a military compound in Montana cheap.....

I'm not planning on being anywhere near the Lesser 48 when the proverbial fecal matter hits the rotary oscillator. The reference to Hitler, that's valid. He did institute gun controls, just before he decided to round up and execute everyone he thought was unacceptable.

I'm not planning on being anywhere near the Lesser 48 when the proverbial fecal matter hits the rotary oscillator. The reference to Hitler, that's valid. He did institute gun controls, just before he decided to round up and execute everyone he thought was unacceptable.

You know you're right! Good Lord man, how could I have MISSED that! And FEMA has been building coffins! And Army Rangers have been training here in the USA! And you know of course, that Obama is a MUSLIM! We better get out right away!
Write me from where you go and let me know it's okay! I'll be right there after you send the signal phrase! Let's make it "The Dachshund Digs Disco".
Remember, if I'm not there right away, don't come back! They're taking over! Quick, get out now before it's too late!!!!

The IRS has never asked me for my id, yet I've received thousands of dollars in tax returns from them. How do they know I'm not someone else claiming tax returns under a name that isn't mine? The biggest way they can tell is that only one return with my name and SSN on it is submitted! If two showed up, they would know there is a problem. A fingerprint on ballot could catch double votes.

There are only two categories of adults in this nation that may not vote - felons (in some states) and people who are not citizens - neither of which has any real motive to vote illegally. Its not a crime that pays, at all! You're risking years in prison or deportation to your home country - and the return on your risk is almost zero.
And you still haven't answered the question.

As for illegal aliens...they get drivers' licences and SS cards all the time. Illegally.

You don't have a valid argument.
(bold large font in quote added by me for emphasis)

A) I never said they didn't get driver's licenses and SS cards.
B) If they can get illegal driver's licenses "all the time" how the fuck is a voter ID law going to stop them from voting, genius?
Stop motor-voter registrations, for one thing.

Predictably, you will whine about that. Because if there's one thing leftists are good at, it's whining.
In fact - a voter ID law will only penalize those who are legal voters but for whatever reason do not have photo ID, as those willing to vote illegally surely will be willing to make a fake ID, too.

The only reason the Republicans want voter ID laws is because it will disproportionately affect the poor and minority voters. That's a fact.
The only reason Democrats oppose voter ID laws is it will limit illegal voters from pulling the D lever. That's a fact.

Yes guns should be registered and regulated. Duh.
Both licenseing and regstration infinge on the right to arms; there is no compelling state interest met by such things.
:D

I would respectfully disagree. I register my car. I also have to prove I've been trained to use it properly and safely. I think that should be required of gun owners or that they should should that like me, they have had such training while in the military.

Also, unless you are part of a well-regulated militia, there is nothing that says you are entitled to own a gun. Well, that's one interpretation. And that's the thing with the USC - there's no escaping it must be interpreted. Those who say otherwise, simply claim that their interpretation is the only valid one.

Both licenseing and regstration infinge on the right to arms; there is no compelling state interest met by such things.

I would respectfully disagree. I register my car. I also have to prove I've been trained to use it properly and safely. I think that should be required of gun owners or that they should should that like me, they have had such training while in the military.

Also, unless you are part of a well-regulated militia, there is nothing that says you are entitled to own a gun. Well, that's one interpretation. And that's the thing with the USC - there's no escaping it must be interpreted. Those who say otherwise, simply claim that their interpretation is the only valid one.

Owning an automobile is not a Constitutionally guaranteed right. Owning a firearm is. Try comparing apples to apples sometime, it works better.

I would respectfully disagree. I register my car. I also have to prove I've been trained to use it properly and safely
Aside from the fact that the right to own a gun is protected by the Constitution while the privilege to drive on public roads is not...

You don't need a license to buy or own a car, or use it on private proprety.
You do not need to register a car after you buy it, or to use it on private property.
The only time you need either is if you use the car on public property.
And so, your analogy fails.

Also, unless you are part of a well-regulated militia, there is nothing that says you are entitled to own a gun.
The SCotUS has disagreed with you, twice - the right to arms belongs to the individual, regardless of his relationship to the militia.

Last edited:
I would respectfully disagree. I register my car. I also have to prove I've been trained to use it properly and safely
Aside from the fact that yor right to own a gun is protected by the Constitution while your privilege to drive on public roads is not...

You don't need a license to buy or own a car, or use it on private proprety.
You do not need to register a car after you buy it, or to use it on private property.
The only time you need either is if you use the car on public property.
And so, your analogy fails.

Also, unless you are part of a well-regulated militia, there is nothing that says you are entitled to own a gun.
The SCotUS has disagreed with you, twice - the right to arms belongs to the individual, regardless of his relationship to the militia.

Gun owners are the well-regulated militia, when needed.

Do you support the requirement that people show a photo ID to buy a gun?
If so, how then can you oppose the same requirement in order to vote?
1. A gun can be used to kill
2. A vote can be cast illegally
3. Number one can not be undone
4. Number two can be vetted and disallowed
Interesting - but invalid.
You cannot "undo" a ballot after is has been cast, should you find the person who cast it was not legally able to do so.

You cannot "undo" a ballot after is has been cast, should you find the person who cast it was not legally able to do so.

The damage from a gun is evident, and no it cannot be undone
The damage from an illegal vote cannot be measured or undone.

The damage from a gun is evident, and no it cannot be undone
The damage from an illegal vote cannot be measured or undone.
A gun used illegally might bring harm a small number of people.
A vote cast illegally directly harms everyone that voted and indirectly harms everyone else.

Of course you can. A ballot suspected as being cast by a suspected cheat can be provisional and held from the count until the voter has been vetted.

Forum List

Back