Question About Sex Crazed Pit Bulls?????

HUGGY

I Post Because I Care
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle at large...Ballard lately
I've had a male and female Pitt Bull couple off and on for a while now and now that I have had them together for several months it has become her "in heat" season and these pups are driving me crazy. The female had a menstral cycle for about two weeks...the blood sems to have stopped lowing and the male is going absolutely fucking nuts trying to get at the pussy. He is a 2 year 4 month old 120 lb red nose and she a 70 lb three and a half year old blue. Obviously neither dog is fixed. So my question is... how long after the female stops bleeding is she fertile? I am assuming this will coincide with HIM not makeing a sex crazed fool of himself. I want my gaurd dogs back! How much longer is this hormone thing gonna dictate the agenda?

I have a lot of experience with this type of dog but have never had fertile pairs under my watch.

Anybody know the answer to my question?

I feel like a ref in a heavyweight title fight.

How much longer will this be going on?

Why don't you just them fixed then you won't have to deal with it all.

It's not my call. Technically they are not my dogs. The owner got them as puppies for her grown kids. Ya..probably a mistake. They loved the "puppies" but didn't have the discipline or time to deal with them as they got to be a few months old. This pattern has been repeated in other aspects of the family dynamics. Still not my call. Just an observation. The owner could barely handle the "puppies" as she is a frail woman with an onsetting nervous system disease which is nevr going to be cured. Fortunately for her and me I have been gaurding some property on a live-in basis with plenty of space and rooms. I have been close to the dogs from day one so it was a natural move to have me take care of them and they do help in my gaurd duties.

Also the owner and I have been kicking around the possibility of breeding the pair some time in the future. Still not my call entirely. I don't have THAT much time right now or in the forseeable future to become a full time dog nanny.

I was REALLY just curious as to how long to expect I would have to be around them full time 24/7 to keep them from fucking. There are times I have to go places and even leaving them together alone in my VW bus is unnacceptable the way they are right now.

I am finding that I will have to change some appointments into the future to accomodate this sex hormone burst. It was just a technical question so I could predict when to reschedule some of these appointments.

Your first mistake was dealing with Pit-bulls.

Beagles are less of a threat to the public.

I can't rent to people that own dangerous breeds. The insurance company won't cover them.

I can't rent to people that own dangerous breeds. The insurance company won't cover them.

Ha....Ha... Beagles just wouldn't cut it in the neighborhood I work in. Beagles are nice dogs. The confrontations I have to deal with are at a level that requires a "threat" that is realistic. Let's take "yesterday". At around noon there was a young man and two whores shooting something into thier veins leaning against the fence surrounding my buildings.. YUP! right out in public. The dogs started barking and growling alerting me to the situation which I handled easily because my "barking" at them to take thier fucking drug circus down the road was backed up with a couple of "dangerous" animals. Even drug addled brains can see that HUGGY plus two huge bad ass dogs isn't worth challenging.

Then...still yesterday...around 9 PM a whore was taking a shortcut through the parking lot and a dude came outta the restaurant and picked her up and put her in his van. The dogs where barking at them and I went out and yelled at the dude that if I saw him around here again I would have him arrested. Well... the guy got so flustered that he backed his van into another car and took off with the whore hit and run style. The cops came and as usual they complimented me on the great back up I enjoy with the Pitts.

I agree that in "normal" circumstances the dogs I watch and watch property for me would be too much responsibility. They do have a place here though. I guess the "don't try this at home" saying would be appropriate.

This looks like it answers your question.

Most female dogs have two estrous cycles yearly. That might make you think their cycles are six months long, but they're not. They have two cycles that last about a month, about six months apart. For ten months out of the year, the average female dog's ovaries are pretty much shut down. As far as female hormones go, they aren't producing any more than a neutered male dog during these quite periods. That's why dogs who have had complete ovario-hysterectomies (complete removal of ovaries and uterus) are not likely to need hormone replacment therapy.

Each cycle consists of three parts: the "coming-in", the "being-in", and the "going-out", also known as pro-estrus, estrus and metestrus. Each part lasts about seven to nine days on average. The female is fertile and receptive to the male only during the middle part or estrus, despite the fact that she is attractive to the male throughout the entire cycle. Boy, is she attractive. They can smell her pheromones (hormone-like scent chemicals) for miles -- literally. You may see a motley crowd of mutts assembling, even if your nearest neighbor is in the next county.

During pro-estrus, the vulva (outside female parts) begins to swell, and a bloody discharge develops. The males are surely getting interested at this point, but the female is far from ready. Unfortunately, many inexperienced owners equate this bloody discharge phase with the entire cycle. They mistakenly assume that once the bleeding stops the cycle is over and it's safe to let the dogs return to their normal living arrangements. Whoops! That's the time when the female is becoming receptive and fertile, so this is the best time to get pregnant.

If day 1 is the first day of bloody discharge ("showing color", as the breeders say), then day 9 is the day to get prospective parents together. If you don't want to raise puppies, this is the time to keep the possible parents separated. Better yet, keep them separated for an additional two weeks.

Your Pet's Best Friend - Dog "Heat" Cycle Basics

Are they cage trained at all? That would certainly help if you had to go out and leave them alone. Or perhaps just keep them in separate rooms -- although they might eat the door off the hinges trying to get at each other. Or take one with you and leave the other behind.

This looks like it answers your question.

Most female dogs have two estrous cycles yearly. That might make you think their cycles are six months long, but they're not. They have two cycles that last about a month, about six months apart. For ten months out of the year, the average female dog's ovaries are pretty much shut down. As far as female hormones go, they aren't producing any more than a neutered male dog during these quite periods. That's why dogs who have had complete ovario-hysterectomies (complete removal of ovaries and uterus) are not likely to need hormone replacment therapy.

Each cycle consists of three parts: the "coming-in", the "being-in", and the "going-out", also known as pro-estrus, estrus and metestrus. Each part lasts about seven to nine days on average. The female is fertile and receptive to the male only during the middle part or estrus, despite the fact that she is attractive to the male throughout the entire cycle. Boy, is she attractive. They can smell her pheromones (hormone-like scent chemicals) for miles -- literally. You may see a motley crowd of mutts assembling, even if your nearest neighbor is in the next county.

During pro-estrus, the vulva (outside female parts) begins to swell, and a bloody discharge develops. The males are surely getting interested at this point, but the female is far from ready. Unfortunately, many inexperienced owners equate this bloody discharge phase with the entire cycle. They mistakenly assume that once the bleeding stops the cycle is over and it's safe to let the dogs return to their normal living arrangements. Whoops! That's the time when the female is becoming receptive and fertile, so this is the best time to get pregnant.

If day 1 is the first day of bloody discharge ("showing color", as the breeders say), then day 9 is the day to get prospective parents together. If you don't want to raise puppies, this is the time to keep the possible parents separated. Better yet, keep them separated for an additional two weeks.

Your Pet's Best Friend - Dog "Heat" Cycle Basics

Are they cage trained at all? That would certainly help if you had to go out and leave them alone. Or perhaps just keep them in separate rooms -- although they might eat the door off the hinges trying to get at each other. Or take one with you and leave the other behind.

The female is cage receptive. I'm not sure they make a commercial dog carrier that could hold the male. Probably would need something like a bear trap. Thanks for the info. Talked to the owner this morning. I've just resigned to wait it out and forward my appointments a couple of weeks. The males "whining" is annoyng... but not more so than the Christian Fundamentalist GOPers on this site... :lol:

huggy for true. real former breeder here. ETA for those that don't know I used to breed catahoulas. what you have is scent that's still going to be palpable for forever.

the bitch alhough the blood flow is gone starts "scent" before and after.

Vicks vapor rub on the male dogs neck. Under the jawline. He won't be able to scent her. :D Trust me.

ETA: can't take credit for the vicks old time setter breeder clued me in on that one way back on acme pets. It dulls the senses.

Last edited:
huggy for true. real former breeder here. ETA for those that don't know I used to breed catahoulas. what you have is scent that's still going to be palpable for forever.

the bitch alhough the blood flow is gone starts "scent" before and after.

Vicks vapor rub on the male dogs neck. Under the jawline. He won't be able to scent her. :D Trust me.

ETA: can't take credit for the vicks old time setter breeder clued me in on that one way back on acme pets. It dulls the senses.

Great tip! I'll get some tommorrow! Being an old hunter I should have thought of that. Thanks!

I owned a medium-sized kennel and raised Beagles for 18 years. I never even put the male in with the bitch in season until the 13th day after I first spotted blood. Always got good breeding and nice litters by waiting until the 13th day. Usually around the 21st day or so she will come out of season and your male should begin to take deep breaths again...

OK...I couldn't wait...He was driving me crazy. I went down the street to the local Morman grocery store (AKA Albertson's) and grabbed some "vapo rub". I had left the male outside and when I got back to the motel I spead some of it on his neck the top of his head and on her hind legs. Then he immediately stuffed his nose so far up her ass that I had to pull his ears out to tell him to knock it off.

Are you sure this shit isn't a doggy aphrodisiac?

I'll wait and see if it works any better... at first blush I think it helps thier sex life.

Pitbulls are hardy dangerous. If they are dangerous, then so are German Sheppards and Dobermans - and yappy dogs because they bite your ankles!

Huggy, please be careful out there in your neighborhood. I'd hate for a vengeful type to go after you or one of your loved ones. Plz. Thx.

OK...I couldn't wait...He was driving me crazy. I went down the street to the local Morman grocery store (AKA Albertson's) and grabbed some "vapo rub". I had left the male outside and when I got back to the motel I spead some of it on his neck the top of his head and on her hind legs. Then he immediately stuffed his nose so far up her ass that I had to pull his ears out to tell him to knock it off.

I'll wait and see if it works any better... at first blush I think it helps thier sex life.

:lol:

I feel your pain. Went thru it enough with my crew. And I had this male Jim Dandy who could smell out a bitch in heat from miles away. Now I was posting on the fly last night, if you have her crated can you get her out for even an hour so you can descent the crate?

She's dropped her " please take me from behind" hormones everywhere in your house. Pinesol if you can handle the smell yourself works well.

I feel your pain. Went thru it enough with my crew. And I had this male Jim Dandy who could smell out a bitch in heat from miles away. Now I was posting on the fly last night, if you have her crated can you get her out for even an hour so you can descent the crate?

She's dropped her " please take me from behind" hormones everywhere in your house. Pinesol if you can handle the smell yourself works well.

Seems like the "Vicks" is slowing him down. He actually slept like a log last night. So did I. She likes the solitude under the bed. I don't make her go there ...she just likes it. it's her space. If he sticks his nose too far under the bed she assumes he's after one of her rawhide bones and sets him straight. He is far too big to get under the bed. Well...if he wanted too he could just put his head under the edge and flip the whole thing over. But he tends to respect her in that way. It's a funny dynamic in the HUGGY 2 room house. She is by far the most naturally agressive dog I've ever had in my care. If I so much as say the words "Poopy Dogs" with a question she shoots out from under the bed or wherever she is and attacks the TV if there is a dog on the screen and slams into the front door growling like crazy. Then I open the door and she will race the WHOLE perimeter three decks and stair cases and the surrounding first floor fence trying to find the offending "Poopy Dog". The male is more laid back and just waits for an actual threat or intrusion of the space I gaurd and goes ballistic only when something is actually there and I OK his actions. OR upon my command he will go to where ever I point him. She would be first to bite...he is comfortable with his size and capabilities and doesn't trust anyone that isn't his family. Most people that see him back away quickly even if they are way on the outside of the fence. He heels naturally without any formal training and goes everywhere I go right at my left foot. What is suprising is how quiet they can be when they are stalking. Then they aquire a target and all hell breaks loose. She at 3 1/2 and he at 2 1/2 they are just getting real good at being called off from an attack just by quiet verbal and hand signals. This behavior has been consistant thruout even this hormone crazed period.

What I plan to do after this "in heat" episode is to spray both rooms down with a combination of bleach and antibacterial detergent...turn the heat up full blast and just go away for a couple of hours. Then I'll vacume everywhere and take all the bedding to a laundromat. It works pretty good when they are too lazy to wake me up in the middle of the night and have an "accident". My rooms do not smell like "dog". They(the dogs AND the rooms) are REALLY VERY clean. I clean up the poop and piss off the decks every day and bleach and hose off all surfaces so there is no "tracking" anything into the rooms. Neither one has any parasite critters. They both enjoy the shower. Very little dirt comes off in the tub. Like I said they are naturally VERY clean animals.

Last edited:

Seems like the "Vicks" is slowing him down. He actually slept like a log last night. So did I. She likes the solitude under the bed. I don't make her go there ...she just likes it. it's her space. If he sticks his nose too far under the bed she assumes he's after one of her rawhide bones and sets him straight. He is far too big to get under the bed. Well...if he wanted too he could just put his head under the edge and flip the whole thing over. But he tends to respect her in that way. It's a funny dynamic in the HUGGY 2 room house. She is by far the most naturally agressive dog I've ever had in my care. If I so much as say the words "Poopy Dogs" with a question she shoots out from under the bed or wherever she is and attacks the TV if there is a dog on the screen and slams into the front door growling like crazy. Then I open the door and she will race the WHOLE perimeter three decks and stair cases and the surrounding first floor fence trying to find the offending "Poopy Dog". The male is more laid back and just waits for an actual threat or intrusion of the space I gaurd and goes ballistic only when something is actually there and I OK his actions. OR upon my command he will go to where ever I point him. She would be first to bite...he is comfortable with his size and capabilities and doesn't trust anyone that isn't his family. Most people that see him back away quickly even if they are way on the outside of the fence. He heels naturally without any formal training and goes everywhere I go right at my left foot. What is suprising is how quiet they can be when they are stalking. Then they aquire a target and all hell breaks loose. She at 3 1/2 and he at 2 1/2 they are just getting real good at being called off from an attack just by quiet verbal and hand signals. This behavior has been consistant thruout even this hormone crazed period.

What I plan to do after this "in heat" episode is to spray both rooms down with a combination of bleach and antibacterial detergent...turn the heat up full blast and just go away for a couple of hours. Then I'll vacume everywhere and take all the bedding to a laundromat. It works pretty good when they are too lazy to wake me up in the middle of the night and have an "accident". My rooms do not smell like "dog". They(the dogs AND the rooms) are REALLY VERY clean. I clean up the poop and piss off the decks every day and bleach and hose off all surfaces so there is no "tracking" anything into the rooms. Neither one has any parasite critters. They both enjoy the shower. Very little dirt comes off in the tub. Like I said they are naturally VERY clean animals.

I know for me Jimmy would catch it big time. I'd look at him and go "whoa geeze" you're not my dog anymore"

It was like Jimmy went to the dark side. :lol:whoops there it is Jim Dandy smells girlie girlie.

Aye carumba!

Trust me on the vicks. Oh and btw one of the worst things that could happen and from what you are posting is if a male makes it thru to full heat.

Damn its so hard to bring them out of it. Even Jim Dandy was like a stoner. Because when the male goes into "I want to bang it mode: cripes you have to drag them back. And it's not easy.

I have a sex crazed Border Collie. It tries to hump my leg every day, and you push him away and he just wraps his legs around your leg tighter and thrusts away, panting happily.

Creepy.

Give it a few days after she's stopped bleeding. Her privates will go back to normal size and you'll know she's not in heat because he won't be interested in her anymore.

I'd get them fixed. The owners are idiots to begin with or you wouldn't have the pups. Just take them in and do it, they probably will never know the difference. If you can only get one fixed, get him fixed. A male pit (or any powerful dog) can be quite a handful when he's not fixed.

Give it a few days after she's stopped bleeding. Her privates will go back to normal size and you'll know she's not in heat because he won't be interested in her anymore.

I'd get them fixed. The owners are idiots to begin with or you wouldn't have the pups. Just take them in and do it, they probably will never know the difference. If you can only get one fixed, get him fixed. A male pit (or any powerful dog) can be quite a handful when he's not fixed.

No worries.. If the bitch gets pregnant I'll FORCE her to get an abortion! Or I'll take her for a ride on some railroad tracks.. Maybe I'll just bend a coat hanger to shape and give it to her and tell her she isn't welcome in my house if she doesn't get rid of it.

Forum List

Back