Q: What food defines American culture?

Aside from the Thanksgiving tradition of roasted turkey, brown gravy, dressing, green beans, and cranberry sauce, each region has its own distinctly popular foods. In the south, it’s mashed potatoes, cornbread, fried oysters, and steak.

In the Northeast, it’s clam chowder and boiled crabs. In the West, it’s vegetarian food and burgers.

In the Midwest, it’s lake trout and cheese.

Comments would be welcome. :p

It's very much regional. In the south many of the dishes are straight from the different nationalities that settled there and crops that grow there. Speckbohnen is how green beans are cooked in the south. Fried okra in the midwest. Chicken fried steak in Oklahoma is not the same as the Texas steak fingers.

Aside from the Thanksgiving tradition of roasted turkey, brown gravy, dressing, green beans, and cranberry sauce, each region has its own distinctly popular foods. In the south, it’s mashed potatoes, cornbread, fried oysters, and steak.

In the Northeast, it’s clam chowder and boiled crabs. In the West, it’s vegetarian food and burgers.

In Minnesota it's Walleye and Hotdish.
Can't forget Swedish Meatballs and Lutefisk, the meatballs are good but I am not touching jellied fish pickled in Lye.:puke3:

Lake trout? How about pizza, hot dogs, brats and beer

As a Polack raised in Mn, my favorite foods are anything Mexican and spicy.
Does that make me a cultural appropriator?

Can't forget Swedish Meatballs and Lutefisk, the meatballs are good but I am not touching jellied fish pickled in Lye.:puke3:

Never heard of Walleye and Hotdish.

I like Swedish Meatballs from Ikea.

Lake trout? How about pizza, hot dogs, brats and beer

it’s quite fishy where I live. Much of it smoked. There‘s a trout lake in the forest, not far away.

Pot roast with potatoes, carrots and onions.

Blackeyed peas and ham hock over cornbread.

Macaroni and cheese bake.

Any kind of casserole.

Pulled pork sandwich with home made coleslaw and vinegar sauce.

Philly Cheesteak sandwiches with sauteed onion and green peppers.
Great list! Pot roast is French though. And you forgot hamburgers.

The highest compliment to a legal immigrant who blends into society: "You are as American as apple pie."

Hot pastrami sandwich.

In New York.
Has to be on rye with mustard. Hey wait! That's a Jewish thing!
I love it, though. I'd get that at midnight at Sal's with a slab of chocolate cake (apparently Jews don't gaf about lard chocolate icing) and a cold glass of milk in them "Coke-y" type glasses. Oh Yeah!

You never seen so many old Jews out at midnight! :auiqs.jpg:
I'm talking hundreds. All lined up at Sal's. It started around 11:00 PM

Chicken and dumplings.

Never heard of Walleye and Hotdish.

I like Swedish Meatballs from Ikea.
The Walleye, the best tasting white flakey fish is separate from Hotdish.
Walleye...caught from cold northern lakes.
Walleye-Fishing-in-Minnesota.jpg
Hotdish is a local term to describe a typical Casserole, the favorite being Tater tot
1358449564114.jpeg

Did you read a tourist guide in the back of your coach seat on Stereotype Air?

Forum List

Back