"punks....they always get away"

Outcome of the Zimmerman trial:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of more importance than an opening statement is the judge's exclusion of any expert testimony with regards to the three second call for help.

Judges are sort of like hall monitors when you were in high school. They do not run the show, they merely try to maintain order. Remember, this is a JURIED trial, not a trial by a judge. Made all the difference in OJ's trial, if you recall.

Has it been proven that Zimmerman was engaging in a neighborhood watch patrol? He claims he was on his way to Target instead.

NoTea wants Zimmerman to lose so bad. It's written in all of his/her comments. According to proper court procedure, neither attorney is able to make any objections during opening statements. That can only happen during the questioning phase. Opening statements are meant to introduce both sides of the case to the jury for further consideration during questioning. Also, opinions of the OP do not override legal precedent.

Last edited:

"Fucking punks....these assholes always get away" said George Zimmerman about Trayvon Martin. Opening remarks by the prosecution! Outstanding! I love this guy!

And guess what, the defense attorneys did not object. Double ooops!

Talking about "case closed".......

Um, no. If the prosecution is going with "he went in there intending to shoot someone" theory, which use of this statement implies, then thier case is actually WEAKER than we think.

This is a quote, Einstein. Not an opinion or conjecture.

This opening statement combined with the fact that Zimmerman's HOA rules forbade him from carrying a gun while on Neighborhood Watch is enough.

:lmao:

Zimmerman wasn't on patrol you fool. He was running a personal errand.

"Fucking punks....these assholes always get away" said George Zimmerman about Trayvon Martin. Opening remarks by the prosecution! Outstanding! I love this guy!

Talking about "case closed".......

You have just proved what a total dumbass you are.
Aren't you Libs supposed to be so much smarter then everyone else?

Only under certain conditions may a defense attorney object to an opening statement.
And the prosecuting attorney must have crossed a definitive line.

Of more importance than an opening statement is the judge's exclusion of any expert testimony with regards to the three second call for help.

Judges are sort of like hall monitors when you were in high school. They do not run the show, they merely try to maintain order. Remember, this is a JURIED trial, not a trial by a judge. Made all the difference in OJ's trial, if you recall.

The jury will hear the tape without expert testimony as to who is doing the screaming. They will make up their own minds as to who is doing the screaming. And yes, judges do run the show.

Show me the rule where it explicitly states you cannot carry a concealed weapon when on watch. From my reading it is that you are not supposed to apprhend someone.

Trayvon Martin's killing shatters safety within Retreat at Twin Lakes in Sanford | Tampa Bay Times
Trayvon Martin's killing shatters safety within Retreat at Twin Lakes in Sanford
"""In September, the Sanford police helped the Retreat start a neighborhood watch program.

"Some residents called me wanting to do a startup," said Dorival, a civilian police employee. About 30 people came to the clubhouse for that first session, she said. "Everyone was enthusiastic." Zimmerman volunteered to be captain. ( Fucking cop wannabe. They are the most dangerous kind.)

"I told them, this is not about being a vigilante police force," Dorival said. "You're not even supposed to patrol on neighborhood watch. And you're certainly not supposed to carry a gun."

For the first two months of this year, at the Retreat at Twin Lakes, the Sanford police logged 51 calls for service. Half were just people requesting information. The others included eight burglaries, two bike thefts and three simple assaults.

Zimmerman's last 911 call came on Feb. 26, at 7:11 p.m. "Black male, late teens, dark gray hoodie, jeans or sweatpants walking around area," the dispatcher recorded. A minute later: "Subject now running towards back entrance of complex."

On a recording of the call, you can hear Zimmerman say, "He's got his hand in his waistband. Something is wrong with him." Then, "He's running toward the back entrance."

The dispatcher told Zimmerman not to follow him. A patrol officer was on the way."""

NPR interview with Carmen Caldwell:

"""The executive director is an irrepressible, 30-year veteran of neighborhood watch programs, Carmen Caldwell. She got involved as a volunteer in the '80s. When she heard about the events in Sanford, Caldwell says her first reaction was, that's not how neighborhood watch operates. Caldwell says her office is adamant about the rules - and they're simple.

CALDWELL: No intervening, no carrying weapons, no patrolling the area - and your only job is to call the police when you see something suspicious.

ALLEN: Miami-Dade's neighborhood watch program is more closely supervised than many. Caldwell gets much of her funding from the county government, and works to register all her groups with the National Sheriff's Association. This week, at a city commission meeting attended by several hundred people in Sanford, congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee quoted from the sheriff's association guidelines for neighborhood watch programs.

ALLEN: That was supposed to be the case at the Retreat at Twin Lakes, the townhome community where George Zimmerman was neighborhood watch captain. In the homeowner's association newsletter, residents were urged to keep their eyes open and if they saw anything suspicious, to call the police. Although the events that led to Trayvon Martin's shooting are still not clear, it appears Zimmerman went far beyond that."""

Two opinions of people in the watch, not actual written regulations.

Where are the written regulations stating you cannot carry weapons? The truth is they cannot bar a person from carrying if the state allows a person to do so.

But a private organization, such as an HOA can instate that rule on THEIR private property. The police officer who formed the Neighborhood Watch is quoted above. There was an article last year about the January 2012 meeting in which it was laid out that no watch member could carry a weapon while on duty. Zimmerman attended it. I will find it when I have more time, or else you can google it yourself. I'm not your mother.

Are people actually watching or paying attention to this trial?

it's not like some OJ simpson...my gawd how pathetic this is still making news..

you can thank the race baiters, sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Obama for turning this into a circus..

Ummmm, lawyers don't get objections during opening statements. Or, closing statements for that matter.

Yes they do. And objecting during the opening statement was a tactic I was taught in law school to rattle the opponent.

NoTea wants Zimmerman to lose so bad. It's written in all of his/her comments. According to proper court procedure, neither attorney is able to make any objections during opening statements. That can only happen during the questioning phase. Opening statements are meant to introduce both sides of the case to the jury for further consideration during questioning.

We obviously have a "seriously low information poster" in Tea.

Doesn't even have a grip on opening statements.

"Case closed."?

The jury will hear the tape without expert testimony as to who is doing the screaming. They will make up their own minds as to who is doing the screaming. And yes, judges do run the show.

No, they don't. Not if it's a juried trial. If judges ran the show then both defense and prosecution would not spend months in voir dire. I think you are clueless about this process. Have you ever served on a jury? How about a murder trial?

The left seems to have a lot resting on the Zimmerman case. Will we expect another Rodney King riot if he is found not guilty? The defense needs to call McGruff the crime dog to the stand. Zimmerman was doing exactly what the government sponsored "neighborhood watchdog" ads suggest.

NoTea wants Zimmerman to lose so bad. It's written in all of his/her comments. According to proper court procedure, neither attorney is able to make any objections during opening statements. That can only happen during the questioning phase. Opening statements are meant to introduce both sides of the case to the jury for further consideration during questioning.

"Case closed."?

Once again for the illiterate and lazy:

The discovery process prior to going to trial is where both sides reveal their case, details, witnesses and evidence.

The defense was well aware that the prosecution was going to start with that quote from Zimmerman. If the defense objected to it as being false or fabricated, the prosecutor would not have said it.

There are no surprises for either side, that happens in movies and old Perry Mason episodes.

Got it?

Ummmm, lawyers don't get objections during opening statements. Or, closing statements for that matter.

Yes they do. And objecting during the opening statement was a tactic I was taught in law school to rattle the opponent.

An improper objection during an attorney statement made to "rattle" the opponent would get you a night in lock up. That's why attorney's don't do it.

I gave you the rules. Read them, you need a refresher.

So you think that the prosecution is making that up? The defense KNEW well in advance that the prosecution was going to quote Zimmerman's telephone transcript. It's called the "DISCOVERY" process. And the defense did not object to this prior to the trial starting.

GO back to cats and dogs. This human thing is over your head.

I'm telling you that neither party gets to make objections during attorney statements, either opening or closing. They may make objections during examination or cross examination of a witness. Neither party gets to review the opening or closing statements of the other party as part of the discovery process. The discovery process is to determine the evidence that the other side is going to bring before the court. Attorney statements are not evidence. The prosecutor may say that the evidence will show that George Zimmerman made the statement "Fucking punks....these assholes always get away" Because that's what the evidence will show. The statement hasn't been excluded.

Wait and see what Zimmerman's attorney says in his opening statement. You'll find lots of things that the prosecutor didn't object to.

You are not entitled to your own legal procedure.

Yes they do. I've had the class. It is a courtesy not to do so, but if the statement has gone too far, then there can be an objection. It is also a technique to rattle the opponent.

An improper objection during an attorney statement made to "rattle" the opponent would get you a night in lock up. That's why attorney's don't do it.

I gave you the rules. Read them, you need a refresher.

Objections are not 'proper' or 'improper'. They are just objections. I have seen them do it, and no one has been locked up for it. And strategy is what it's all about. There are certain rules of procedure, and there is no rule against objecting during the opening statement. Also, surprise is not illegal.

Last edited:

"Case closed."?

Once again for the illiterate and lazy:

The discovery process prior to going to trial is where both sides reveal their case, details, witnesses and evidence.

The defense was well aware that the prosecution was going to start with that quote from Zimmerman. If the defense objected to it as being false or fabricated, the prosecutor would not have said it.

There are no surprises for either side, that happens in movies and old Perry Mason episodes.

Got it?

Oh dear. The statement was not false or fabricated, it was a statement that Zimmerman really made. It's on tape. We've all heard it.

Forum List

Back