CDZ Pros and Cons of Getting a CCW Permit

I was at the range yesterday and one of the guys asked if I had my CCW. I told him that I had no reason to get one that i could think of. He looked like I had just told him that it wasnt necessary for me to eat for the rest of my life. I looked into the CCW today and found that its hell just getting one where I live. I was wondering what benefits will I gain by having one vs the cost of having one? Is it really worth it?
Can you carry a gun around in your state without this permit?
There are only certain states that have "constitutional carry" laws.

They are:

Alak
AZ
Ark
Ida
Kan
ME
Miss
Mo
VT
WV
Wyo

But even in these states it makes sense to get a CFP because then you can also get reciprocity with many other states.

Constitutional carry only applies in your own state.

When you travel out of state you are back in the rat hole of no-carry.

Just curious...what are you looking at to get your CCW...here in Illinois it is 16 hours of training, finger printing, and about 150 dollars ......not including the cost for the classes......plus the photo I.D......
I cant get much consistent information so I have a call into my attorney to find out exactly. However it looks like between $350 and $700.
Only $100 for me in my state.

Thats my point. I dont know if its worth the money to have to be so careful all the time. I dont know for sure if I would want the responsibility needed to carry legally after the novelty wore off
You ALWAYS need to be careful all the time.

Otherwise you will end up as a crime statistic.

The only issue is whether you have the mental strength to carry a firearm on your person and protect it and use it effectively.

Thats my point. I dont know if its worth the money to have to be so careful all the time. I dont know for sure if I would want the responsibility needed to carry legally after the novelty wore off

The only issue is whether you have the mental strength to carry a firearm on your person and protect it and use it effectively.
The mental strength? :laugh:

You dont need mental strength to carry a gun or use it effectively. Its not a light saber you operate with a blindfold.

You dont need mental strength to carry a gun or use it effectively. Its not a light saber you operate with a blindfold.
Looks like you have no idea.

Looks like you have no idea.
I was in the military. Looks like your assumptions have caused you to be wrong yet again.

I was at the range yesterday and one of the guys asked if I had my CCW. I told him that I had no reason to get one that i could think of. He looked like I had just told him that it wasnt necessary for me to eat for the rest of my life. I looked into the CCW today and found that its hell just getting one where I live. I was wondering what benefits will I gain by having one vs the cost of having one? Is it really worth it?

This is slightly off topic here, but one that you might find interesting concerning racist laws. I see you're getting plenty of answers concerning the OP, so I guess I'll go for it.

The FBI background check law for gun ownership is actually a racist law. Ethnic names are common in ethnic communities, and it's not completely uncommon for a black person to have the same name as another black person. Well when around 30% of blacks have criminal records barring them from gun ownership, this can create a problem. Now it goes without saying that usually you are aware that you cannot purchase a gun due to the criminal record you know that you have. So who are these people that are trying to purchase guns and are getting barred from it because of a background check? It turns out many of them have been law abiding citizens their whole life, and just happen to share the name of a felon, and our government mistakes them for that felon (last I saw this makes up almost 100% of the 12 million people who have been denied due to a background check...I believe). So who makes up a lot of the innocent people getting denied guns because they happen to share the same name as someone? Blacks, that law is blocking mainly law abiding black citizens from exercising their constitutional rights to bear arms.

I can find more on this topic if you're interested, just thought I'd throw it out there and see your thoughts.

I let mine lapse by not renewing it. Why you ask? I became tired of lugging a concealed 357 J frame around for no apparent reason other than I could. In my state the glove box of the car is considered the equal of in the home. Carrying simply places to much responsibility on a person for the value received. If you want to carry, move to an open carry State. For me it is simply not worth the trouble, something I should have learned during my military years, but did not.
A 357 is way too big.

You don't need anything bigger than a 45ACP or its slightly little brother the 9x19mm.

Just a little clairification here, The .357 was developed from the .38 cal. The current 9mm, not the european version of WWII is also designed to fall into the .38 family. The .45 cal is the horse of the family, designed and produced by the US military to replace the .38 cal and 9 mm standard rounds being used by them. The 357 came along in the 1950's to add magnum power to the 38 class and compete with the .45 cal and other large bore hand guns which it does quite well. The .38 and 357 are interchangeable in a weapon designed to handle magnum loads. Hence a 357 rated revolver can chamber and fire .38 cal and 357 mm ammunition. The "J" frame I mentioned in my earlier post is built to do just that, .38, 38 special, super 38 and 357. It is not "way to big" in fact quite small and is available in the hammerless version if desired. This gives the carrier a much wider range of ammunition they may invest in and a large range of power. In my opinion I do not want to be limited to 9mm only. The .38 family offers much more diversity. Also, at close range do not under sell the .22 cal family which includes the 22 magnum rim fire cartridge. The magnum and long rifle rounds will certainly "reach out and touch someone", forcefully. That is why alligator hunters also use the 22 cal rifle. And there are a ton of 22 cal hand guns available.

Can you carry a gun around in your state without this permit?
There are only certain states that have "constitutional carry" laws.

They are:

Alak
AZ
Ark
Ida
Kan
ME
Miss
Mo
VT
WV
Wyo

But even in these states it makes sense to get a CFP because then you can also get reciprocity with many other states.

Constitutional carry only applies in your own state.

When you travel out of state you are back in the rat hole of no-carry.
Yes, I'm in Maine, which last year made it possible to concealed carry without a special permit, as well as being an open carry state. I have only once seen a civilian carrying though, in a public place like a restaurant. We have low violent crime rates, so I have a feeling most people don't carry on their person, but have a firearm at home.

George Zimmerman has one and it came in very handy when his life was almost taken.

After seeing this, you do NOT need to carry a gun! We got enough homies with your bullshit attitude.

After seeing this, you do NOT need to carry a gun! We got enough homies with your bullshit attitude.

I promote the safe handle and care if weapons. I want our culture to accept the idea of free men with weapons being unrestricted in their travel.

Asslips is the sort of clown who ruins a good thing for everyone. People with his attitude are the ones in the media with headlines I'll paraphrase to "
Idiot with a gun..."

I am not joking either. When I read some of the things this poster has written, I see a threat to public safety should he be in a place where he finally "has enough of whitey's shit" and the next thing you know we have a statistic against the carry culture.

I think even just the training and knowledge of the laws
is worth it. The more people are empowered, there is
more consistent enforcement and respect for laws.
And the less we have to rely on actually drawing guns.

The best use of defense is establishing we have that option,
so we CHOOSE not to escalate to the point of HAVING to go there.....

images

Considering that you think all law enforcement officers are just goons with guns it's obvious why you think it doesn't take any mental strength to utilize a firearm effectively. Just as you don't think that de-escalation of a domestic dispute is on the heads of the individuals causing the dispute even if one of them is carrying a firearm. If all you learned from your supposed time in the military is that you can carry a firearm then take no responsibility (mental strength) on when to draw said weapon you've learned nothing about firearms.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Don't know what state you live in, so wouldn't know if it's worth it or not. I live in a state where it was never a bug hassle to carry one, period, and I'm not a fan of open carry anyway; concealed carry is the only one that makes any real sense. My wife, mother, and aunts all carry when they go into town, and always have, 'legal' or not; they went ahead and got the CCW when it became legal, but they were already well trained and knew most of it already so it wasn't a big deal.

As for myself I always did fine just carrying a ball peen hammer or hand axe in a belt holster if I thought I might need a weapon, since fights involving criminals or just angry idiots are almost always at close range anyway, gun or no guns. No license needed for a hammer, and nobody ever has signs up telling you they are barred from entering their businesses with one. With less practice than you need to be good with a pistol you can learn to throw one very effectively at close range, and they're great for smacking and disabling the martial arts fags with as well, and you can buy dozens of them for less than a pistol costs. If you're a wimp, just stay out of rough places; a pistol isn't going to do you much good, and more trouble than they're worth.

Last edited:

I promote the safe handle and care if weapons. I want our culture to accept the idea of free men with weapons being unrestricted in their travel.

Asslips is the sort of clown who ruins a good thing for everyone. People with his attitude are the ones in the media with headlines I'll paraphrase to "
Idiot with a gun..."

I am not joking either. When I read some of the things this poster has written, I see a threat to public safety should he be in a place where he finally "has enough of whitey's shit" and the next thing you know we have a statistic against the carry culture.

Asclepias and triggered aren't black in real life, they're fat white kids who live in the Burbs; they just play 'Angry Black People' on the innernetz, like the other racists who play 'progressives' and 'social justice warriors' here but are clearly just deviants and mindless jackwads without a 'progressive' or principled bone in their entire bodies.

I used to carry a pistol. One day I was coming out of the grocery store and felt it in my pocket, thought "You know what? I don't need this". Sold pistol next day.

I think even just the training and knowledge of the laws
is worth it. The more people are empowered, there is
more consistent enforcement and respect for laws.
And the less we have to rely on actually drawing guns.

The best use of defense is establishing we have that option,
so we CHOOSE not to escalate to the point of HAVING to go there.....
Sometimes, in reality, someone else makes the choice of you having to "draw your gun" for you. Unless you agree to die.

Here's the first time I drew mine: :)

iu

Last edited:
I used to carry a pistol. One day I was coming out of the grocery store and felt it in my pocket, thought "You know what? I don't need this". Sold pistol next day.
Good decision. If you can't keep from dropping it then you shouldn't carry. Proper holstering is extremely important.

Forum List

Back