CDZ Pros and Cons of Getting a CCW Permit

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2013
Breathing rarified air.
I was at the range yesterday and one of the guys asked if I had my CCW. I told him that I had no reason to get one that i could think of. He looked like I had just told him that it wasnt necessary for me to eat for the rest of my life. I looked into the CCW today and found that its hell just getting one where I live. I was wondering what benefits will I gain by having one vs the cost of having one? Is it really worth it?

I was at the range yesterday and one of the guys asked if I had my CCW. I told him that I had no reason to get one that i could think of. He looked like I had just told him that it wasnt necessary for me to eat for the rest of my life. I looked into the CCW today and found that its hell just getting one where I live. I was wondering what benefits will I gain by having one vs the cost of having one? Is it really worth it?

An honest answer is that you shouldn't have to get one. The constitution guarantees your right to bear arms - federal law trumps state law - so states have no right to impose restrictions. Several states have realized this and adopted constitutional carry (open carry without license).

The benefit is the old adage - when you NEED a gun, there ain't no substitute.

My husband and I both have permits, mainly because of our children. Too many nuts out there

Trust me, you DO NOT want to get one! You do NOT want to go through that nonsense. You're good like you are.

Last edited:
I was wondering what benefits will I gain by having one vs the cost of having one? Is it really worth it?

If you intend to carry, It's worth the cost. If you feel no need to carry now and don't want to, save your money.

As a side benefit, some cops will cut you some slack if you get pulled over and they see you've passed the background check to hold a CHL. It shows them you're one of the good guys.

Carrying is a serious responsibility not to be taken lightly. It's good that you are doing some basic research.

I was wondering what benefits will I gain by having one vs the cost of having one? Is it really worth it?

If you intend to carry, It's worth the cost. If you feel no need to carry now and don't want to, save your money.

As a side benefit, some cops will cut you some slack if you get pulled over and they see you've passed the background check to hold a CHL. It shows them you're one of the good guys.

Carrying is a serious responsibility not to be taken lightly. It's good that you are doing some basic research.
Ok that sounds like a good benefit in theory that I had not considered. I know its a serious responsibility from my training in the military. I keep thinking of how draining it would be making sure people are not scared if they saw it and having to plan everything around it.

One thing...if you get it you have it if you need it. You never know when you might want to carry a gun for self defense, and if the need comes up and you haven't gone through the hoops, you won't be able to carry.

Just because you have the CCW doesn't mean you have to carry. But having the CCW you can carry if you need or want to.....

Just curious...what are you looking at to get your CCW...here in Illinois it is 16 hours of training, finger printing, and about 150 dollars ......not including the cost for the classes......plus the photo I.D......

Here is what Jeremy Stafford (author) says on Page 15 of the 2016 Guns And Ammo "Personal Defense" issue of their magazine:

"If you have the legal means to carry a gun and choose not to then you are a coward and a fool. Harsh words, but it is the truth."

I understand the "fool" part. By not carrying (and training and practicing) you are making yourself subservient to street thugs, robbers, rapists (if female), and last but not least although unlikeliest -- armed terrorists.

I don't agree with his "coward" part however because not everyone is cut out for a gunfight. A gunfight is simply a fight that also includes a gun. You need to be in good physical shape, jog, box, kickbox, shoot, get professional training, practice on your own, be alert and vigilant and always aware of your surroundings. You also need a fighter's attitude, not a wimp's.

That's why not everyone is cut out for it. And if you are not cut out for it then you should not carry at all, because ultimately your gun is then mostly likely to be taken from you and used against you.

The world is full of sheeple, wolves, and sheep dogs. So it all depends on which you are and whether you are willing to work hard to become instead.

Last edited:
Ok that sounds like a good benefit in theory that I had not considered. I know its a serious responsibility from my training in the military. I keep thinking of how draining it would be making sure people are not scared if they saw it and having to plan everything around it.
By keeping your pistol carefully concealed you do not upset anybody.

My 45ACP goes on over my underwear and under the rest of my clothes.

So my trousers, my shirt, my sweater, and my jacket or coat are all on over they weapon yet I can still easily reach inside and draw it in about 1 second.

I let mine lapse by not renewing it. Why you ask? I became tired of lugging a concealed 357 J frame around for no apparent reason other than I could. In my state the glove box of the car is considered the equal of in the home. Carrying simply places to much responsibility on a person for the value received. If you want to carry, move to an open carry State. For me it is simply not worth the trouble, something I should have learned during my military years, but did not.

I let mine lapse by not renewing it. Why you ask? I became tired of lugging a concealed 357 J frame around for no apparent reason other than I could. In my state the glove box of the car is considered the equal of in the home. Carrying simply places to much responsibility on a person for the value received. If you want to carry, move to an open carry State. For me it is simply not worth the trouble, something I should have learned during my military years, but did not.
A 357 is way too big.

You don't need anything bigger than a 45ACP or its slightly little brother the 9x19mm.

A 357 is way too big.

You don't need anything bigger than a 45ACP or its slightly little brother the 9x19mm.

And the only advantage of open carry over concealed is a slightly faster draw.

Open carry has many disadvantages with outweigh the advantage.

The open carry law is nice in case you happen to flash your concealed pistol. Otherwise open carry is not that great.

Here is what Jeremy Stafford (author) says on Page 15 of the 2016 Guns And Ammo "Personal Defense" issue of their magazine:

"If you have the legal means to carry a gun and choose not to then you are a coward and a fool. Harsh words, but it is the truth."

I understand the "fool" part. By not carrying (and training and practicing) you are making yourself subservient to street thugs, robbers, rapists (if female), and last but not least although unlikeliest -- armed terrorists.

I don't agree with his "coward" part however because not everyone is cut out for a gunfight. A gunfight is simply a fight that also includes a gun. You need to be in good physical shape, jog, box, kickbox, shoot, get professional training, practice on your own, be alert and vigilant and always aware of your surroundings. You also need a fighter's attitude, not a wimp's.

That's why not everyone is cut out for it. And if you are not cut out for it then you should not carry at all, because ultimately your gun is then mostly likely to be taken from you and used against you.

The world is full of sheeple, wolves, and sheep dogs. So it all depends on which you are and whether you are willing to work hard to become instead.

Disagree with a lot of this....carrying a gun is a big responsibility, and weighing that responsibility with the likelihood of being a victim of a criminal is a personal matter that no one else should judge. And no, a gun fight is not the same as a fight without a gun...that is why senior citizens with bad hips and on Chemo therapy have defeated younger, stronger, more aggressive and often, more numerous attackers.....all of the things you mentioned about being in shape and a fighters attitude can help...but the truth about firearms is that they allow weaker, less aggressive people defeat stronger more aggressive people....which is why they are such important self defense tools.

The idea that bad guys easily take guns from victims is just not born out by actual real world stories of self defense with a gun.........

And the Sheep Dog idea...that you have to be a gunman looking out for others is also a wrong attitude. If you happen to be armed and in the middle of a mass shooting or violent criminal attack, you have the ability to defend yourself and possibly a stranger who is being a victim...but you should not carry a gun with that attitude...it is a last resort, meant for survival....and it's use is a line you need to seriously ponder before you decide to carry. When people with guns get into trouble, it is often stepping forward when it would have been better to wait and let the police handle the criminal.......and once a threat is over you let it go.......you don't pursue or shoot at fleeing criminals....

I keep thinking of how draining it would be making sure people are not scared if they saw it and having to plan everything around it.

There are a lot of articles and videos on concealment. I carry a very small pocket pistol. No one can tell I'm armed. I share your concern about making people scared a the sight of a gun in public. It's a common, courteous concern in my state as it turns out. Open carry was passed last year and became effective the 1st of January, 2016. In the time since, I've only seen one person openly carrying--in a state with about one million CHL holders. The new open carry law is just not being used. A surprising outcome after all the hubbub over its passing last year.

And the Sheep Dog idea...that you have to be a gunman looking out for others is also a wrong attitude. ...but you should not carry a gun with that attitude...it is a last resort, meant for survival....and it's use is a line you need to seriously ponder before you decide to carry. When people with guns get into trouble, it is often stepping forward when it would have been better to wait and let the police handle the criminal

^^^^^^^^^^^^ What great advice! ^^^^^^^^^^

If you decide to carry, carry on as usual. Stay out of bad areas. Avoidance and situational awareness remains your best defense. If you see yourself entering a dangerous situation, retreat. If you are attacked and can retreat, do so. If you are trapped, take cover. If your life is threatened and you cannot escape, as a CHL holder, you'll have one last, tragic means of saving your life.

At one of my CHL recurrent classes, two ladies were going through their initial course. Both made it clear they intended to go "hunting". Both owned ranches on the Mexican border and were sick of illegals and armed drug smugglers crossing their property and threatening them. After the second such comment, the instructor stopped the class and read both of them the Riot Act. They got schooled real quick that a CHL is not an entry level law enforcement ticket.

Hey assy, another benefit of getting a CHL is that you can go in a gun store and buy a gun without the back ground check. At least in Texas.

My husband and I both have permits, mainly because of our children. Too many nuts out there
CCW means Concealed Carry Weapon, or something close, right?
So does that mean if you and your husband didn't have a CCW, you could carry one but it would have to be in a holster outside your jacket? Or like the old six shooters on your hip like Roy Rogers?

CCW means Concealed Carry Weapon, or something close, right?
So does that mean if you and your husband didn't have a CCW, you could carry one but it would have to be in a holster outside your jacket? Or like the old six shooters on your hip like Roy Rogers?

Ours are conceal carry permits so yes it has to be concealed. Open carry would open up all kinds of fashion issues

Forum List

Back