Project HOOD and Pastor Brooks are graduating their 6th class in construction skills.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
MEDIA AND COMMUNITY ADVISORY

PROJECT H.O.O.D. IS GRADUATING ITS SIXTH CONSTRUCTION CLASS
5u3E_n2LhLoQNj1HQVIXW0v0t_Gl2IKWQoc_o1ZTgBiqX9zzpzXxa12r_gsCyxOc727tQE_AGz0md0_OhfrIT5prk97hM7UebQTih64-UlOAlLp_VOdMWf8fx4IhXhL3c0v0yrUYUGn0Xow4AhA=s0-d-e1-ft
Pictured: left, red jacket, instructor Susette Crenshaw, ABC-IL, middle, graduation group, right, all black, TaWanna Cotten, Project H.O.O.D., far left, Desmond Marshall, Project H.O.O.D.
Chicago At-Risk Individuals Begin New Careers
Chicago (March 8, 2022)–On Thursday, March 10, 2022, at 6:00 p.m. CST, Project H.O.O.D. will graduate its sixth construction cohort on what will be Executive Director Corey Brooks’ 110th day on the roof of his extended 100 Day Campout Against Violence. The rooftop campaign has raised over $10million in cash, pledges, and in-kind gifts. Project H.O.O.D. invites the community and media professionals to celebrate the graduates at New Beginnings Church, 6620 South King Drive, Chicago, IL 60637.

This sixth FREE Construction Certification Class began on October 8, 2021. The students were trained for twelve weeks and are receiving industry recognized credentials in Core and Laborer Level One. They will also have their OSHA 10 Certificate. Project H.O.O.D. held a job fair with Chicagoland contractors on February 22, 2022, and all the students have secured employment or received offers. The eleven students, aged 18 to 50, will announce their new employers at the graduation.

The contractors who took part in the job fair were Manhattan Mechanical Services, Ozinga, Fresh Coast Solar, Hamstra Enterprises, Inc., Rethink Electric, The Bowa Group, Reed Construction, Golf Construction, Everywhere Wireless, P.L.S. Services, and the University of Chicago.

In 2019, Project H.O.O.D. partnered with the Illinois Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC-IL) to offer an alternative career path for at-risk individuals and for those suffering from unemployment. ABC-IL provides technical education while the students also receive employment coaching and financial services to help manage their new careers. The instructors for this sixth cohort were Susette Crenshaw and Christopher Coleman, both from ABC-IL.

Join us this Thursday to celebrate these remarkable people!

WHO: Project H.O.O.D. Sixth Construction Class

WHAT: Construction Class Graduation, New Jobs

WHEN: Thursday, May 10, 2022, at 6:00 p.m. CST

WHERE: New Beginnings Church, 6620 S. King Drive, Chicago, IL 60637

WHY: Project H.O.O.D. is working to build a Leadership and Economic Opportunity Center to offer more training and certification to stop violence and poverty.

Be sure to check our EVENTS PAGE for other great happenings!

###
EVMl7zC0IQyr3xwVpJm7Tz_TzXShKFuocxDvB-VlDFI6T7kj6bF3o5C7O13uUfRDsFaDd7s6peaoAbq_pUAxiNaTPwKvKMF64lsZtbh3RuwRx1ygjh3S-qkzFW1w77A74VxO=s0-d-e1-ft
Pictured in center with some of the graduates is instructor Christopher Coleman, ABC-IL
About Project H.O.O.D. and the 100 Day Campout Against Violence

Project H.O.O.D. is raising $35million to build the Leadership and Economic Opportunity Center that will serve at-risk youth and adults in Chicago. Pastor Corey B. Brooks, founder and Senior Pastor of New Beginnings Church of Chicago and founder and CEO of the not-for-profit Project H.O.O.D. Communities Development Corporation has become a leading voice and presence in the fight against the violence gripping Chicago’s poorest neighborhoods.

He established New Beginnings Church of Chicago in November 2000 in the heart of Chicago’s most dangerous neighborhood and founded Project H.O.O.D. in 2011.

Project H.O.O.D. provides mentorship, skills training, and community for residents on Chicago’s south side with the goal of ending the cycle of poverty, violence, and incarceration by providing alternatives to crime, neglect, and hopelessness.

MEDIA CONTACT: Please respond to this email

100 DAY CAMPOUT AGAINST GUN VIOLENCE: Please visit: projecthood.org/tent-a-thon

HIGH RES IMAGES of ROOFTOP CAMPAIGN: projecthood.org/press

COMMUNITY CENTER: projecthood.org/community-center
Our programming changes lives and is a great reason to donate to Project H.O.O.D.

Thank you for helping us with our work.
FacebookTwitterLinkedInInstagram
Project Hood Communities
6620 South King Drive
Chicago, IL 60637
www.projecthood.org
Email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser
Unsubscribe
_UxtrJirFA_evhsl_NNedFm4xEwOTmZn2IoB3O718ubIh7mkNa9ql4FZ8aoPNPp05YKACua24rxlXmPw0Bb1k-W5VOeU7vSNHHC6Ym4JSLnrwotggAjvHrwGsrvNYF4Yo6uJ1BfD-NhNNxxbnJbrT2siwLNLPxDnKptYZiN3VxNE5o3xU3yAE_jQDArpf__e6hePJZKtrtbI_cNQx0SdHKdlcDd_TQq7q4GwhRWKHQAORnE90swMjQjva88mgMOwYHgEOvaLdoEN9g-IwleHJd5xuDajFvVhnnN_x5KtQoaucHUe27oJVIL5y0boQywOc7aT2V4EDD1mkUgay1JCNgiqXpqrHKo_Z5swvjTeg7pKfueDK42ZG9RUE17wp_LoeTDyOtYBRzQsvuFbxbA5q4IvGsg6YZCx0HxpYrgdz60PQYAETkvj1HN2hZInhxuBb7GfEYd51QIYgks7FuAi4zKmpDbhe9AhHyGSpxKA0IuoPShCDPx63AxpzhD0viqYc4MDVdgG7ydojOMYHxoVp6nmYkC_lxi3wwSJqjlJBN9IX98dpgrRIlA4Ot8sBc5mkcajhZA7uGUnhMlxf39cunnxS_WzfdmN4A=s0-d-e1-ft

5u3E_n2LhLoQNj1HQVIXW0v0t_Gl2IKWQoc_o1ZTgBiqX9zzpzXxa12r_gsCyxOc727tQE_AGz0md0_OhfrIT5prk97hM7UebQTih64-UlOAlLp_VOdMWf8fx4IhXhL3c0v0yrUYUGn0Xow4AhA=s0-d-e1-ft
Pictured: left, red jacket, instructor Susette Crenshaw, ABC-IL, middle, graduation group, right, all black, TaWanna Cotten, Project H.O.O.D., far left, Desmond Marshall, Project H.O.O.D.
Chicago (March 8, 2022)–On Thursday, March 10, 2022, at 6:00 p.m. CST, Project H.O.O.D. will graduate its sixth construction cohort on what will be Executive Director Corey Brooks’ 110th day on the roof of his extended 100 Day Campout Against Violence. The rooftop campaign has raised over $10million in cash, pledges, and in-kind gifts. Project H.O.O.D. invites the community and media professionals to celebrate the graduates at New Beginnings Church, 6620 South King Drive, Chicago, IL 60637.

This sixth FREE Construction Certification Class began on October 8, 2021. The students were trained for twelve weeks and are receiving industry recognized credentials in Core and Laborer Level One. They will also have their OSHA 10 Certificate. Project H.O.O.D. held a job fair with Chicagoland contractors on February 22, 2022, and all the students have secured employment or received offers. The eleven students, aged 18 to 50, will announce their new employers at the graduation.

The contractors who took part in the job fair were Manhattan Mechanical Services, Ozinga, Fresh Coast Solar, Hamstra Enterprises, Inc., Rethink Electric, The Bowa Group, Reed Construction, Golf Construction, Everywhere Wireless, P.L.S. Services, and the University of Chicago.

In 2019, Project H.O.O.D. partnered with the Illinois Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC-IL) to offer an alternative career path for at-risk individuals and for those suffering from unemployment. ABC-IL provides technical education while the students also receive employment coaching and financial services to help manage their new careers. The instructors for this sixth cohort were Susette Crenshaw and Christopher Coleman, both from ABC-IL.

WHY: Project H.O.O.D. is working to build a Leadership and Economic Opportunity Center to offer more training and certification to stop violence and poverty.

###
EVMl7zC0IQyr3xwVpJm7Tz_TzXShKFuocxDvB-VlDFI6T7kj6bF3o5C7O13uUfRDsFaDd7s6peaoAbq_pUAxiNaTPwKvKMF64lsZtbh3RuwRx1ygjh3S-qkzFW1w77A74VxO=s0-d-e1-ft
Pictured in center with some of the graduates is instructor Christopher Coleman, ABC-IL

Project H.O.O.D. is raising $35million to build the Leadership and Economic Opportunity Center that will serve at-risk youth and adults in Chicago. Pastor Corey B. Brooks, founder and Senior Pastor of New Beginnings Church of Chicago and founder and CEO of the not-for-profit Project H.O.O.D. Communities Development Corporation has become a leading voice and presence in the fight against the violence gripping Chicago’s poorest neighborhoods.

He established New Beginnings Church of Chicago in November 2000 in the heart of Chicago’s most dangerous neighborhood and founded Project H.O.O.D. in 2011.

Project H.O.O.D. provides mentorship, skills training, and community for residents on Chicago’s south side with the goal of ending the cycle of poverty, violence, and incarceration by providing alternatives to crime, neglect, and hopelessness.

Our programming changes lives and is a great reason to donate to Project H.O.O.D.

Project Hood Communities
6620 South King Drive
Chicago, IL 60637
www.projecthood.org
View it in your browser
Unsubscribe
_UxtrJirFA_evhsl_NNedFm4xEwOTmZn2IoB3O718ubIh7mkNa9ql4FZ8aoPNPp05YKACua24rxlXmPw0Bb1k-W5VOeU7vSNHHC6Ym4JSLnrwotggAjvHrwGsrvNYF4Yo6uJ1BfD-NhNNxxbnJbrT2siwLNLPxDnKptYZiN3VxNE5o3xU3yAE_jQDArpf__e6hePJZKtrtbI_cNQx0SdHKdlcDd_TQq7q4GwhRWKHQAORnE90swMjQjva88mgMOwYHgEOvaLdoEN9g-IwleHJd5xuDajFvVhnnN_x5KtQoaucHUe27oJVIL5y0boQywOc7aT2V4EDD1mkUgay1JCNgiqXpqrHKo_Z5swvjTeg7pKfueDK42ZG9RUE17wp_LoeTDyOtYBRzQsvuFbxbA5q4IvGsg6YZCx0HxpYrgdz60PQYAETkvj1HN2hZInhxuBb7GfEYd51QIYgks7FuAi4zKmpDbhe9AhHyGSpxKA0IuoPShCDPx63AxpzhD0viqYc4MDVdgG7ydojOMYHxoVp6nmYkC_lxi3wwSJqjlJBN9IX98dpgrRIlA4Ot8sBc5mkcajhZA7uGUnhMlxf39cunnxS_WzfdmN4A=s0-d-e1-ft
Speaking as a concrete contractor, that kind of thing doesn't impress me.

For an entry level young prospective employee the #1 thing I want to know is whether or not they are a team player. I want to know what team sports they played in high school and I'll call up their coach.

Teamwork is very important.

And I also want to talk to their geometry teacher. Knowledge of geometry is also very important in masonry.

But as long as they are not stupid and they are a team player, I can teach them the rest.

Last edited:
Is that another word for taking orders from "The (White) Man?" BLM and CRT certainly don't promote that kind of teamwork.
BLM has nothing to do with construction, neither does CRT. You don't even know what CRT is..

Mike, Pastor Brooks is not the only one doing this and Jim Brown has had an organization out there for years called AmerICAN. These types of initiatives go on in every city and Pastor Brooks isn't the only one in Chicago.

So are your business decisions made by committee? Or are you merely claiming not to be "(White)?" If the latter, who cares?
I ultimately make my own business decisions, obviously.

As far as the rest of that weird post, could you please rephrase that word salad in more thought out and intelligible terms?

I'm not sure WTF you are attempting to ask me.

Last edited:
Speaking as a concrete contractor, that kind of thing doesn't impress me.

For an entry level young prospective employee the #1 thing I want to know is whether or not they are a team player. I want to know what team sports they played in high school and I'll call up their coach.

Teamwork is very important.

And I also want to talk to their geometry teacher. Knowledge of geometry is also very important in masonry.

But as long as they are not stupid and they are a team player, I can teach them the rest.
You may be missing the larger point here. Those young men were headed into a life of drugs, gangs, jail and violent death. That is what Pastor Brooks has literally dedicated his life to changing. And as he says, it's one life at a time.

I guess that is a non profit? Kinda eyballing that 35 million they have. Got a feeling a few people are lining their pockets. But getting at risk guys in the construction trades is certainly good.

I guess that is a non profit? Kinda eyballing that 35 million they have. Got a feeling a few people are lining their pockets. But getting at risk guys in the construction trades is certainly good.
The $35 million is a funding goal that they have not achieved. The last update I saw was they were somewhere around 8 million which is why Pastor Brooks is indefinitely extending his rooftop vigil to keep attention focused on the Community Center. If you want to look at someone lining his pockets, take a look at Al Sharpton and his National Action Network.

Do you? If so, please explain. If not, STFU.
I know what it is, you don't. Don't ask me to do your research. You've got a search engine, find out for yourself instead of repeating Chris Rufo.

You may be missing the larger point here. Those young men were headed into a life of drugs, gangs, jail and violent death. That is what Pastor Brooks has literally dedicated his life to changing. And as he says, it's one life at a time.
Yawn! They get older and face health problems because of living with white racism.

###

Project Hood Communities
6620 South King Drive
Chicago, IL 60637
www.projecthood.org
View it in your browser
Unsubscribe
When a white supremacist like MarathonMike is promoting something positive for black people then I'm HIGHLY suspicious.

I mean even the name sounds like a name a white supremacist would give.......... "Project Hood"...... Cmon -

Black people have got qualifications coming out of arse. We are the most qualified group in America but we are the poorest as well. How does that work ?

When a white supremacist like MarathonMike is promoting something positive for black people then I'm HIGHLY suspicious.

I mean even the name sounds like a name a white supremacist would give.......... "Project Hood"...... Cmon -

Black people have got qualifications coming out of arse. We are the most qualified group in America but we are the poorest as well. How does that work ?
And there is my other Black friend showing up right on cue to take his dump on me and Pastor Brooks. Keep hate alive!

Forum List

Back