Productivity Enhancers?

eagleseven

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Jul 8, 2009
OH
Here on campus, mental stimulants are all the rage. Want a temporary boost of intelligence? Pop a pill.

Along with the old standby, Caffeine, Ritalin and Adderall are college favorites, especially among the science and medical students. At my particular institution, the school estimates that between 30-40% of the student population are on these cognitive enhancers, and I have observed people consuming and discussing said drugs on the steps of our library in broad daylight.

I know that one of the top students in my department uses them regularly, and has offered to sell some to me. He is unphased by the fact that his behavior is considered a felony.

More Students Turning Illegally To 'Smart' Drugs : NPR

How do you feel about this growing practice, and if given the opportunity, would you use these enhancers? For many of my friends who are desperate to get into law/grad/med schools, the answer is an enthusiastic yes.

Last edited:
I took adderall one night after drinking all night, I ate everything in sight but it I didn't feel high off of it. But I have always thought I had ADD anyways.

I took adderall one night after drinking all night, I ate everything in sight but it I didn't feel high off of it. But I have always thought I had ADD anyways.

It doesn't make you high. It makes you productive.

Taking it while drunk would be pointless, as you learned.

Freshman year (some time ago) someone suggested I try amphetamines for a physics exam. Worst score I ever had.

I wish that was the case for the users in my Immunology class...because right now, they're partying harder, drinking more, and still doing better than I.

Freshman year (some time ago) someone suggested I try amphetamines for a physics exam. Worst score I ever had.

I wish that was the case for the users in my Immunology class...because right now, they're partying harder, drinking more, and still doing better than I.
I would not and cannot suggest doing it in good conscience.

I would bet good money that taking an exam or even studying for one while speeding (then taking the test sober or speeding) will not give you the results you think it will.

It doesn't make you high. It makes you productive.

Taking it while drunk would be pointless, as you learned.
Well I was productive in cleaning out my refridgerator.:lol:
I took speed once in junior high before going to a church retreat, I don't think I ever said "like" so many times since.

I have found getting stoned before history can help you stay focus, I always listened more to my profs lectures because I thought he was ten times funnier when high. Of course I was the only one laughing when he made jokes.

I would bet good money that taking an exam or even studying for one while speeding (then taking the test sober or speeding) will not give you the results you think it will.
I have already resolved to avoid illegal drug use while at school, so I won't be using them anytime soon.

Still, my eyes don't lie. Either this man is a genius (which he isn't), or his drug combination enables him to best all the grad, medical, and undergrad students in this course. Our professor initially suspected him of cheating.

Perhaps whatever amphetamines you tried freshman year were useless, but these modern psychoactive drugs pack a punch. So much so, that even scientists are beginning to use them when grant writing and brainstorming. Provigil is quite popular among PhDs.

The Aggie: "Brain doping" common among scientists and professionals

Last edited:

I have already resolved to avoid illegal drug use while at school, so I won't be using them anytime soon.

Still, my eyes don't lie. Either this man is a genius (which he isn't), or his drug combination enables him to best all the grad, medical, and undergrad students in this course. Our professor initially suspected him of cheating.

Perhaps whatever amphetamines you tried freshman year were useless, but these modern psychoactive drugs pack a punch. So much so, that even scientists are beginning to use them when grant writing and brainstorming. Provigil is quite popular among PhDs.

The Aggie: "Brain doping" common among scientists and professionals
That could be the case. The one I tried was harsh as all hell and was the same as modern day Adderall. Not a good experience for me, but the dosage and release of Adderall may be much improved over what I had.

That could be the case. The one I tried was harsh as all hell and was the same as modern day Adderall. Not a good experience for me, but the dosage and release of Adderall may be much improved over what I had.
They say the difference between a cure and a poison is dosage, after all.

Yup.

Honestly, I had no idea that these were so popular in grad programs in the sciences. Of course, I am pretty naive of a lot of shit.

And, I'm pretty sick of being that way, too.

Here on campus, mental stimulants are all the rage. Want a temporary boost of intelligence? Pop a pill.

Along with the old standby, Caffeine, Ritalin and Adderall are college favorites, especially among the science and medical students. At my particular institution, the school estimates that between 30-40% of the student population are on these cognitive enhancers, and I have observed people consuming and discussing said drugs on the steps of our library in broad daylight.

I know that one of the top students in my department uses them regularly, and has offered to sell some to me. He is unphased by the fact that his behavior is considered a felony.

More Students Turning Illegally To 'Smart' Drugs : NPR

How do you feel about this growing practice, and if given the opportunity, would you use these enhancers? For many of my friends who are desperate to get into law/grad/med schools, the answer is an enthusiastic yes.

I tried taking caffeine pills when I was in college. Briefly.

They made me shaky, achy, and seriously inhibited my ability to concentrate. I HATE them. I'll drink cola, but as far as high doses of caffeine, it makes me feel and perform for shit.

Which is why I don't do meth. I tried it in my youth, in the late 80s & early 90s, separate episodes. It was great for about two days, then I just wanted to eat and sleep...despite being hopped up. That crap makes me feel like shit, who wants to feel sick and stupid all the time? I know many people fall into it and can't get out, but apparently not me.

Last edited:
Yup.

Honestly, I had no idea that these were so popular in grad programs in the sciences. Of course, I am pretty naive of a lot of shit.

And, I'm pretty sick of being that way, too.
Ignorance is bliss. That is, until you realize you've been had.

I believe brain doping, along with grade inflation, is the reason why both grad schools and employers consider the GPA less and less important. Funny how Medical Schools still demand the highest GPAs, when doctors are infamous for their self-medicating ways?

Last edited:
Personally, if I were an employer I would create my own Thunderdome, you all go in and who ever comes out gets the job.

Ive never been on a campus, I dont think I have ever been camp for that matter, I popped a lot of pills thought, love hearts were my fav.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back