Product Question:

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have a Samsung tablet-thing. It has a touch screen, and I use it to read and respond to e-mails, watch YouTube videos, and surf the internet while I'm watching TV. That's it. I set it on a pillow on my lap and use it for three or four hours every evening.

I want to do pretty much the same thing with a replacement device, but I want a REAL keyboard. My Samsung thing has a virtual keyboard that misinterprets my poking often enough to drive me crazy.

What should I get? It seems to me that it would be something between a small laptop computer and another I-pad thing. I think it should have a touch screen, because those little pads are a pain in the ass to use. Screen size isn't important. I guess the screen size would be more or less dictated by the fact of the keyboard.

I don't need a ton of memory, because I don't store pictures or videos.

I think I should be able to get something for around $500 or less, eh?

[The battery on the Samsung is dying. It craps out while I'm using it, even if it's plugged in].

What can I get that will meet my needs?

I have a Samsung tablet-thing. It has a touch screen, and I use it to read and respond to e-mails, watch YouTube videos, and surf the internet while I'm watching TV. That's it. I set it on a pillow on my lap and use it for three or four hours every evening.

I want to do pretty much the same thing with a replacement device, but I want a REAL keyboard. My Samsung thing has a virtual keyboard that misinterprets my poking often enough to drive me crazy.

What should I get? It seems to me that it would be something between a small laptop computer and another I-pad thing. I think it should have a touch screen, because those little pads are a pain in the ass to use. Screen size isn't important. I guess the screen size would be more or less dictated by the fact of the keyboard.

[The battery on the Samsung is dying. It craps out while I'm using it, even if it's plugged in].

An older laptop that will run Win7.

What size screen do you want? There a quite a few 2 in 1s on the market. What operating system do you want, Windows? Mac? Linux?

What size screen do you want? There a quite a few 2 in 1s on the market. What operating system do you want, Windows? Mac? Linux?

He's probably been using Android.

Maybe get a case for the Samsng tablet with a built in wifi keyboard. It folds like a laptop.

Maybe get a case for the Samsng tablet with a built in wifi keyboard. It folds like a laptop.

I dont think those old Galaxy touch screen tablets have USB ports? No wireless keyboard?

I had one of those Galaxy. Wore it out reading USMB. Battery went. Older IPAD is bigger but very heavy, harder to hold. No keyboard on any I have access to.

I dont think those old Galaxy touch screen tablets have USB ports? No wireless keyboard?

I had one of those Galaxy. Wore it out reading USMB. Battery went. Older IPAD is bigger but very heavy, harder to hold. No keyboard on any I have access to.

Something like this. Which may even plug into the charge port versus using bluetooth.

61vLHJ1gS2L._SX466_.jpg

Off topic, but how you getting along, NC?

Legs are in sever pain. No pain pills. But my spirits are high, a lot of people are sending a lot of support my way. I'm on the couch for the night after I finish up these shells and meatballs and stuff. I didnlt wake up til the afternoon, so I'll be up most of the night. But that's okay, the board keeps me occupied, even if just browsing. Thanks, Marion.

A Mexican maid.

Netbook/Chromebook.

Thank you, comrades.

I think a Chromebook is what I'm looking for. I'm off to Best Buy to select one.
Chromebook runs Chrome OS not Windows but that's not a bad thing, in fact Chromebooks are faster, lighter on resource usage and more secure than Windows. With Chromebooks the vast majority of what one does is Cloud related, it's designed that way.

Thank you, comrades.

I think a Chromebook is what I'm looking for. I'm off to Best Buy to select one.
Chromebook runs Chrome OS not Windows but that's not a bad thing, in fact Chromebooks are faster, lighter on resource usage and more secure than Windows. With Chromebooks the vast majority of what one does is Cloud related, it's designed that way.
S what when you actually need it?

I say Windows 10 is crap and Windows 8 was total crap. Bring back Windows 7. The first thing I do with a new laptop is take the battery out because the battery destroyed two of my laptops. I am typing on an HP that cost less than $500.

Thank you, comrades.

iu

Thank you, comrades.

S what when you actually need it?
Your translator broke........

Forum List

Back