Probably the Best Game Simulator Today?

I have a few of the DCS World aircraft. Stunning graphics and realism to using every switch in the cockpit if you wanted.

I think they just outdone themselves.

DAMN!!!!!!! Now I gotta go out and get that game. I've been stationed onboard a carrier while serving with VFA-131 WILDCATS, and I gotta say, not only are the graphics super clean and sharp, but it's the realism that they put into it that is so good. I've been on Vultures Row watching night time launches, and I gotta say, I almost felt like I was back on the ship. Same with the flight deck sequences, because I've been there as well, and I gotta say, they made it look like it was almost video of actual operations on the carrier. Same thing when they showed in interior of the cockpit, it looked exactly as I remember it (spent time on PRP teams, hanging out with jet mechanics, and have been allowed to fly the dome simulator for the FA-18 several times)

Wow.........................I gotta get that game.

I have a few of the DCS World aircraft. Stunning graphics and realism to using every switch in the cockpit if you wanted.

Looks interesting. I'm currently using P3D Professional V4.5 by Lockheed Martin. If you have a strong enough graphics card, the realism is amazing. I have the Aerosoft Airbus A320/A321 I've been learning. Just about everything in the cockpit is simulated, and in order to get it to fly, you need to file actual flight plans and follow real-world checklists.

I'm enjoying it alot.

DAMN!!!!!!! Now I gotta go out and get that game. I've been stationed onboard a carrier while serving with VFA-131 WILDCATS, and I gotta say, not only are the graphics super clean and sharp, but it's the realism that they put into it that is so good. I've been on Vultures Row watching night time launches, and I gotta say, I almost felt like I was back on the ship. Same with the flight deck sequences, because I've been there as well, and I gotta say, they made it look like it was almost video of actual operations on the carrier. Same thing when they showed in interior of the cockpit, it looked exactly as I remember it (spent time on PRP teams, hanging out with jet mechanics, and have been allowed to fly the dome simulator for the FA-18 several times)

Wow.........................I gotta get that game.

A number of Navy pilots have been very pleased with the realism.

I got the free stuff....it is good ..but overpriced
What’s a fair price for the thousands of hours they put into the development?

Wow....................usually on other threads, you and Harmonica are in agreement. However, in this thread, you and Harmonica are in disagreement, and believe it or not, I'm on your side. Yes, what IS a fair price for the thousands of hours that go into developing a game like this?

There is only ONE problem with the realism of the game. F-15s couldnt not land on an aircraft carrier as their landing gear wasnt built for that kind of landing.

My mistake those are F-14 Tomcats not F-15s Eagles.

....well, the best game I've ever played was a free mod by private citizens called Forgotten Hope ..a mod for Battlefield..it had EVERYTHING in it--ALL the vehicles/airplanes/arty AND mortars which were controlled by the player and called in by players with binos/etc....all theaters with vehicles specific for that theater --- whereas Call of Duty and Medal of Honor had nothing like that
..but you pay per plane don't you? in the old sims like the old Jane's air combat PC games you got a bunch of aircraft/etc
...in Il2 Cliffs of Dover you get many aircraft for one price
etc

..I've got Wings Over Vietnam:
''''The plane list is impressive. Flying for the USAF, you'll have the chance to pilot three varieties of the F-4 Phantom as well as the F-100 D Super Sabre and the F-105 D Superchief. The Navy and Marine Corps have their own versions of the Phantom and can also pilot two kinds of A-7 Corsairs, three versions of the A-4 Skyhawk, and the A-6A Intruder and F-8 E Crusader. Other friendly planes in the sky include the B-52 Stratofortress and B-57 Canberra.''''

....well, the best game I've ever played was a free mod by private citizens called Forgotten Hope ..a mod for Battlefield..it had EVERYTHING in it--ALL the vehicles/airplanes/arty AND mortars which were controlled by the player and called in by players with binos/etc....all theaters with vehicles specific for that theater --- whereas Call of Duty and Medal of Honor had nothing like that
..but you pay per plane don't you? in the old sims like the old Jane's air combat PC games you got a bunch of aircraft/etc
...in Il2 Cliffs of Dover you get many aircraft for one price
etc
I understand. But what they’ve done is released a free version and people develop aircraft modules. So F-14’s just came out, and now the super carriers you can go along with it. Same with campaigns. People are filling a need for profit.

..I've got Wings Over Vietnam:
''''The plane list is impressive. Flying for the USAF, you'll have the chance to pilot three varieties of the F-4 Phantom as well as the F-100 D Super Sabre and the F-105 D Superchief. The Navy and Marine Corps have their own versions of the Phantom and can also pilot two kinds of A-7 Corsairs, three versions of the A-4 Skyhawk, and the A-6A Intruder and F-8 E Crusader. Other friendly planes in the sky include the B-52 Stratofortress and B-57 Canberra.''''
I got my feet wet in Falcon, excellent game. I imagine the graphics would ruin it for me now though.

Wow....................usually on other threads, you and Harmonica are in agreement. However, in this thread, you and Harmonica are in disagreement, and believe it or not, I'm on your side. Yes, what IS a fair price for the thousands of hours that go into developing a game like this?
Fair price is a personal definition. Some think paying for a Picasso for half the $5M valuation is a deal. Personally, I wouldn’t pay $3 for one. If your computer can do great graphics and you’re into simulators, what they ask is a good price.

There is only ONE problem with the realism of the game. F-15s couldnt not land on an aircraft carrier as their landing gear wasnt built for that kind of landing.

That's one of the things that I learned working in VFA-131. If you want to know if a plane is a Navy and Marine version, or an Air Force version, all you gotta do is look at the landing gear. Navy planes are purposely built with much beefier landing gear because of the stresses of hooking a wire with a tailhook and slamming the plane into the deck.

Matter of fact, back in the 50's the Navy came up with a jet, trying to beat the Air Force at the beginning of the jet age. Unfortunately, the landing gear wasn't up to spec, and it became known as the Ensign Eliminator.

The “dash-one” failed miserably in carrier suitability tests. Pilots simply couldn’t see over the long nose well enough to land the jet on a flattop, a trait it shared with early versions of its illustrious predecessor, the F4U Corsair. Powered by two reliable but anemic Westinghouse J34 turbojets, the Cutlass also proved dangerously slow to respond to late wave-offs. By the time carrier suitability tests were completed, it was clear there were serious technical bugs inherent in the design. All three prototypes had crashed, along with two production F7U-1s before they could even be delivered to the Navy, killing three Vought test pilots in the process.

The problems were so bad that the F7U-1s were never put into squadron service, and a follow-on order for 88 F7U-2s with uprated engines was scrubbed. Two dash-ones did serve briefly with the Navy’s Blue Angels aerobatic team as solo performers, but were soon parked for lack of parts and waning enthusiasm for the airplane.

That's one of the things that I learned working in VFA-131. If you want to know if a plane is a Navy and Marine version, or an Air Force version, all you gotta do is look at the landing gear. Navy planes are purposely built with much beefier landing gear because of the stresses of hooking a wire with a tailhook and slamming the plane into the deck.

Matter of fact, back in the 50's the Navy came up with a jet, trying to beat the Air Force at the beginning of the jet age. Unfortunately, the landing gear wasn't up to spec, and it became known as the Ensign Eliminator.

The “dash-one” failed miserably in carrier suitability tests. Pilots simply couldn’t see over the long nose well enough to land the jet on a flattop, a trait it shared with early versions of its illustrious predecessor, the F4U Corsair. Powered by two reliable but anemic Westinghouse J34 turbojets, the Cutlass also proved dangerously slow to respond to late wave-offs. By the time carrier suitability tests were completed, it was clear there were serious technical bugs inherent in the design. All three prototypes had crashed, along with two production F7U-1s before they could even be delivered to the Navy, killing three Vought test pilots in the process.

The problems were so bad that the F7U-1s were never put into squadron service, and a follow-on order for 88 F7U-2s with uprated engines was scrubbed. Two dash-ones did serve briefly with the Navy’s Blue Angels aerobatic team as solo performers, but were soon parked for lack of parts and waning enthusiasm for the airplane.

I can tell just looking at it there’s no way. Nose gear snap, tail smacking the deck. Yikes.

I can tell just looking at it there’s no way. Nose gear snap, tail smacking the deck. Yikes.

Actually, if they didn't land it just right, it was the nose gear that would fly up through the cockpit, killing the pilot. And yeah, it was a pretty piss poor design for a carrier aircraft.

Forum List

Back