Wife needs a device that accepts and reads audiobooks

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Essentially, that's it. We must be the last people on Earth who do not have a smartphone, tablet, Android, and whatever else is out there. She's bedridden, so we don't go anywhere, and losing her eyesight due to macular degeneration, so even though I bought her a larger flat screen TV, she can't see it. So, I'd like to get her whatever device is best to receive audiobook files that she can listen to. What do you think?

Essentially, that's it. We must be the last people on Earth who do not have a smartphone, tablet, Android, and whatever else is out there. She's bedridden, so we don't go anywhere, and losing her eyesight due to macular degeneration, so even though I bought her a larger flat screen TV, she can't see it. So, I'd like to get her whatever device is best to receive audiobook files that she can listen to. What do you think?
She could get a PC next to her bed with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Or a laptop that she could put on a bed tray. (don't put a laptop on her lap)

I use Audible. It is an Ap on my phone, but it also usable on computers with no problem. You can probably even download the books and put them on a cheap MP3 player.

I’ve been listening to books for more than twenty years. I started when I was driving over the road trucks. The miles melted away listening to some really good books, and some that were mediocre.

I hope it helps and My best wishes for you both.

Is your flatscreen tv a smart tv? If so, connect to the internet and on amazon or as others are saying, you can download an app for audio. Also the online public libraries offer free audio books through the internet.

If you have a Microsoft account, you can download the audiobook player (for pc). It's an app that allows you to listen offline (via an internet connection to download audio books).

s your flatscreen tv a smart tv? If so, connect to the internet and on amazon or as others are saying, you can download an app for audio. Also the online public libraries offer free audio books through the internet.
There is archive.gov...where you can download free audio books. The have a huge library, as well. :)

Sooo, I can get her a Windows Tablet, download software that plays audiobooks and she's good to go, right? Seems to be plenty of websites where audiobooks are either free or for purchase. Plus, there's youtube where she can hear music and whatever else. She won't be able to see much but hearing something is better than nothing at all. FYI, she had a stroke a few years back and it was a bad one. Then she had a couple of falls and it's been a tough road for her.

I am grateful to everyone for your responses.

Not having eye sight is a problem. But this goal of yours is fantastic.

I happen to love audiobooks. I have gone through dozens of them, sometimes multiple times.

So here is my recommendation. I would get her an Apple iPad.

I'm assuming she can see enough to hit the play, and stop button. An Ipad has a large enough screen, you should be able to enlarge the view enough, that she can see it, even if her sight is bad.

The Base iPad will have a 10-inch screen, come with Wifi and 32 Gb of storage, for $330.

On your iPad, you have a program you open simply called "Books". At the bottom you will see a tab called "Audiobooks".
Screenshot_2020-05-24 2fb55e2ef83ed295e9cf7a769188aed9 png (PNG Image, 665 × 958 pixels) - Sca...png

You click audiobooks, and it will give you hundreds, if not thousands of audiobooks to listen to. Most are fairly inexpensive. Additionally they typically have a book of the week, that is on sale for $5. So $20 a month nets you 4 audiobooks.

Screenshot_2020-05-24 fb3305b6b4427d011639ef1a044a97fd png (PNG Image, 665 × 958 pixels) - Sca...png

(I blanked out the audio book on this picture. Normally it would have a picture and name right in the middle)

When she is listening to an audiobook, she'll just need to hit that large button on the screen in the middle to start and stop. Or rewind, or fast forward 15 seconds. Should be somewhat easy even if she has poor eyesight.

Now this involves you having internet over wifi at home, and you will have to setup a payment account, to buy the audio books. However once done, it's a breeze to get, and listen to whatever audiobooks you wish.

If she can't actually see anything, then I might consider getting headphones with a start and stop button on the cord. You'll have to start the audiobook for her, but she can start and stop it, by pressing the button on the headphone cords.

That is my best recommendation.
G-d be with you and your wife.

Sooo, I can get her a Windows Tablet, download software that plays audiobooks and she's good to go, right? Seems to be plenty of websites where audiobooks are either free or for purchase. Plus, there's youtube where she can hear music and whatever else. She won't be able to see much but hearing something is better than nothing at all. FYI, she had a stroke a few years back and it was a bad one. Then she had a couple of falls and it's been a tough road for her.

Yeah, a windows tablet would work. Depending on how much you want to spend, an ipad would be less trouble, though. Speaking from experience here. You can get a certified refurbished for about the same price as some tablets.

Not having eye sight is a problem. But this goal of yours is fantastic.

I happen to love audiobooks. I have gone through dozens of them, sometimes multiple times.

So here is my recommendation. I would get her an Apple iPad.

I'm assuming she can see enough to hit the play, and stop button. An Ipad has a large enough screen, you should be able to enlarge the view enough, that she can see it, even if her sight is bad.

The Base iPad will have a 10-inch screen, come with Wifi and 32 Gb of storage, for $330.

On your iPad, you have a program you open simply called "Books". At the bottom you will see a tab called "Audiobooks".
View attachment 340475

You click audiobooks, and it will give you hundreds, if not thousands of audiobooks to listen to. Most are fairly inexpensive. Additionally they typically have a book of the week, that is on sale for $5. So $20 a month nets you 4 audiobooks.

View attachment 340476
(I blanked out the audio book on this picture. Normally it would have a picture and name right in the middle)

When she is listening to an audiobook, she'll just need to hit that large button on the screen in the middle to start and stop. Or rewind, or fast forward 15 seconds. Should be somewhat easy even if she has poor eyesight.

Now this involves you having internet over wifi at home, and you will have to setup a payment account, to buy the audio books. However once done, it's a breeze to get, and listen to whatever audiobooks you wish.

If she can't actually see anything, then I might consider getting headphones with a start and stop button on the cord. You'll have to start the audiobook for her, but she can start and stop it, by pressing the button on the headphone cords.

That is my best recommendation.
G-d be with you and your wife.
She could use siri I believe which she can ask to play a book that is downloaded by title, right? With the ipad.

Hey Flyboy, unfortunately I can't help you with your tech questions as I am an technical idiot...
But I did want to thank you for your service to our Country and your loyalty and dedication to your wife...
Your a good man... :salute:

Hey Flyboy, unfortunately I can't help you with your tech questions as I am an technical idiot...
But I did want to thank you for your service to our Country and your loyalty and dedication to your wife...
Your a good man... :salute:
He is, isn’t he.
1590352434379.gif
I agree.

This thread actually gave me the idea to look up audio books on Youtube. Turns out there are a ton of them for free. Thanks. I know how I'm spending the rest of my holiday weekend now. :)

Thanks for this thread. I need the same kind of thing for my wife and for much the same reason too. Great suggestions.

Forum List

Back