Pro-abortionists furious at Tim Tebow ad

theHawk

Registered Conservative
Sep 20, 2005
Arizona
Amazing how so called "women's groups" would be so upset about the story of a woman ignoring a doctor's recommendation to get an abortion.

NEW YORK (AP) -- A coalition of women's groups called on the CBS network on Monday to scrap its plan to broadcast an ad during the Super Bowl featuring college football star Tim Tebow and his mother, which critics say is likely to convey an anti-abortion message.

The ad -- paid for by the conservative Christian group Focus on the Family -- is expected to recount the story of Pam Tebow's pregnancy in 1987 with a theme of "Celebrate Family, Celebrate Life." After getting sick during a mission trip to the Philippines, she ignored a recommendation by doctors to abort her fifth child and gave birth to Tim, who went on to win the 2007 Heisman Trophy while helping his Florida team to two college football championships.

CBS urged to scrap anti-abortion Super Bowl ad featuring Tebow - SI.com - 2008 NFL Super Bowl

Amazing how so called "women's groups" would be so upset about the story of a woman ignoring a doctor's recommendation to get an abortion.

NEW YORK (AP) -- A coalition of women's groups called on the CBS network on Monday to scrap its plan to broadcast an ad during the Super Bowl featuring college football star Tim Tebow and his mother, which critics say is likely to convey an anti-abortion message.

The ad -- paid for by the conservative Christian group Focus on the Family -- is expected to recount the story of Pam Tebow's pregnancy in 1987 with a theme of "Celebrate Family, Celebrate Life." After getting sick during a mission trip to the Philippines, she ignored a recommendation by doctors to abort her fifth child and gave birth to Tim, who went on to win the 2007 Heisman Trophy while helping his Florida team to two college football championships.

CBS urged to scrap anti-abortion Super Bowl ad featuring Tebow - SI.com - 2008 NFL Super Bowl

I think it will be wonderful...Will they also talk about Focus on the Family's suggestions on how to raise a non-gay boy? That's a favorite of mine.

They almost always turn down a PETA ad during the Superbowl each year too...so what's the big deal? They are smart enough to know that while American's are stuffing their faces full of pizza, buffalo wings, and potato chips and cheering for their team...they don't want to think about crazy vegetarians or whether or not they support abortion. Sounds reasonable to me. Bring on the Clydesdales selling beer! :)

They almost always turn down a PETA ad during the Superbowl each year too...so what's the big deal? They are smart enough to know that while American's are stuffing their faces full of pizza, buffalo wings, and potato chips and cheering for their team...they don't want to think about crazy vegetarians or whether or not they support abortion. Sounds reasonable to me. Bring on the Clydesdales selling beer! :)

Yea, how dare anyone get an important message out during the highest rated hours of the year, especially if it can save lives.

In an alternate universe, the person who found a cure for cancer wasn't aborted. Good thing the mother didn't follow the doctor's recommendation.

Yea, how dare anyone get an important message out during the highest rated hours of the year, especially if it can save lives.

Do these types of ads run during American Idol? Survivor? Any of the Bread and Circus reality shows?

This is a serious question as I watch none of them. I find reality TV to be a big part of the decline of this country. And I am willing to bet, that while people are distracted with other peoples need for attention the commercials are less than educational.

If CBS doesn't want to run it, it doesn't have to...despite whether I feel or you feel that the message is an important one.

CBS is making a choice - that political ads that might piss off their viewers don't have a place being run during the SuperBowl. That's their choice - they've demonstrated that they hold that view whether the ad is from a liberal or conservative viewpoint. They are being consistent - which I appreciate.

Do I think the world would come to an end if football fans found out that doctors wanted one of the player's mom's to abort him but she chose life? No, I think thats rather cool actually. But it wasn't my choice...it was CBS's.

So CBS rejected a pro same sex marriage ad but are putting out an anti-abortion ad by a ridiculously hate filled socially conservative hack whack group. Thanks for showing once again the "Liberal" media theory is utter bullshit.

So CBS rejected a pro same sex marriage ad but are putting out an anti-abortion ad by a ridiculously hate filled socially conservative hack whack group. Thanks for showing once again the "Liberal" media theory is utter bullshit.

They are liberal, but even libs are terrified of pissing off conservative America. No one ever accused liberals of standing by their principles, espcially if they can make a quick buck.

If CBS doesn't want to run it, it doesn't have to...despite whether I feel or you feel that the message is an important one.

CBS is making a choice - that political ads that might piss off their viewers don't have a place being run during the SuperBowl. That's their choice - they've demonstrated that they hold that view whether the ad is from a liberal or conservative viewpoint. They are being consistent - which I appreciate.

Do I think the world would come to an end if football fans found out that doctors wanted one of the player's mom's to abort him but she chose life? No, I think thats rather cool actually. But it wasn't my choice...it was CBS's.

As far as I know CBS is planning to air it. You're right, it is their choice to air it or not, that's really not the issue here.

But what I find strange about this story is that pro-"choice" women would be upset by this commercial. What's wrong with promoting the choice of letting the baby live? Guess they're not really pro-choice, they're just pro-abortion.

As far as I know CBS is planning to air it. You're right, it is their choice to air it or not, that's really not the issue here.

But what I find strange about this story is that pro-"choice" women would be upset by this commercial. What's wrong with promoting the choice of letting the baby live? Guess they're not really pro-choice, they're just pro-abortion.

Maybe they are, but thats still rhetorical nonsense, about the same as calling someone to supports the death penalty Pro-Murder.

Maybe they are, but thats still rhetorical nonsense, about the same as calling someone to supports the death penalty Pro-Murder.

Then maybe you can explain why "pro-choice" groups have such a big problem with groups promoting the idea of choosing life over death for the child?

They are liberal, but even libs are terrified of pissing off conservative America. No one ever accused liberals of standing by their principles, espcially if they can make a quick buck.

That is what is so endearing......even when people cite evidence that contradicts their claim they ignore it and just keep on repeating until bedtime. There is no more Conservatism in the US. Religious extremists who want to use the government to enforce their theology onto others has more in common with Saudi Arabia than America. My only hope is the Christian Right and Neocons will get the hell out of my Party and stop pretending to be Conservative. We already have one "C" word and those camps are trying to force it into two.

Well, I guess that just demonstrates that no matter how committed liberals say they are to their ideals, they wont pass up an opportunity to make a large profit.

I say air it! People will realize CBS isn't liberal media, especially if they denied other group's ads.

That argument makes absolutely no sense. By definition, capital punishment cannot be murder. However, those who are pro death penalty, readily acknowledge that we are advocating for the death of criminals who commit heinous enough crimes that the community thinks he should face death. We aren't pretending we are for some other position while secretly holding our real position. When we say we are pro death penalty, we mean we are in favor of the death penalty.

Now the pro-choice groups are claiming they are in favor of a woman being able to choose whether to have an abortion or not. Now if their position was actually based on a desire for a woman to make a choice, there would be absolutely no reason to be offended that someone who exercised their choice not to abort their child and was encouraging people not as well. In fact, they would be happy that the woman had the choice to.

But that's not the case here. Here a woman exercised her choice, and they are offended by it. By their actions they are demonstrating that choice really isnt the issue at all. It's a mask to cover up their true position. And logically the only position they could really be advocating that would make them upset in this case is that they are, in fact, pro abortion and not just pro choice.

As I said, if you were pro choice, you wouldnt be upset over someone making a choice for life. You'd only be upset over that if you were actually pro abortion. You can clearly see that your analogy just doesnt hold up under analysis. It sounds nice. But rhetoric doesn't equal reality.

• Thanks
Reactions: Gem
According to CBS own rules, they shouldn't air this.

But I'm pretty sure I posted about this two weeks ago.:lol:

Then maybe you can explain why "pro-choice" groups have such a big problem with groups promoting the idea of choosing life over death for the child?

I suggest you learn why the protest letter was sent. It wasn't against the ad being anti-abortion:

"By offering one of the most coveted advertising spots of the year to an anti-equality, anti-choice, homophobic organization, CBS is aligning itself with a political stance that will damage its reputation, alienate viewers, and discourage consumers from supporting its shows and advertisers," the letter said.

Frankly, I think it's a stupid letter and it's dumb to feed into the persecution complex of the Christian Right. I would protest the ad on the basis it's completely fucking dumb to spend $2.5 MILLION DOLLARS for a 30 second spot by a group that shits all over the name of Jesus to justify its hatred of others. I'm guessing Jesus would rather see that money care for some kids. How many kids could helped be fed, housed, and receive medicine for $2.5 million? That is what I would bitch about.

According to CBS own rules, they shouldn't air this.

But I'm pretty sure I posted about this two weeks ago.:lol:

CBS is in the business of making money and the Christian Right is a fucking gold mine when it comes to using their stupidity against them to make a good profit. Look how many idiots the publishers suckered into buying a book by Palin she didn't even write.

The OP title is as dishonest on two levels. The first has already been shown but the second is trying to demonize the pro choice crowd by calling them "pro-abortionists." See, when your position is solid you don't need to rely on such forms of deception. When you do that it sends the message you are insecure on your own ground.

Forum List

Back