CDZ Privacy, does it exist anymore, and why is it not protected anymore ?

We're you thinking about your sex or gender at 7 years old ? No you weren't, and don't try and lie by saying you were.

No, not that I can recall. Indeed, were one to ask of what I was specifically thinking as a seven year old, I'd have to answer in terms of events I can remember from then and infer that they and things related to them were what I was thinking about.
  • I got a telescope for my birthday that year, so I was thinking about the moon and the stars.
  • I loved to read about nature and animals, and I recall asking my parents if we could go to Africa for Christmas to see zebras and lions and whatnot.
  • I remember visiting my Southern relatives and hearing Granddaddy's tales about there being 'gators in the pond in front of the house and that being the reason he never could catch a big fish there. I thought I probably shouldn't go down to the pond by myself.
  • I recall singing songs with the women who worked in my family's home. I thought I like singing and hanging out with them.
  • I remember my aunt advising me to "never let the good be the enemy of the best."
  • I remember watching television with Mother one evening and Daddy's walking into the room and heading straight for the restroom to "puke his brains out," whereupon Mother shuffled me out of the room and told me to go to bed. I was wondering why Daddy was sick.
  • I remember playing all sorts of games -- tag, baseball, kickball, football, Monopoly, Life, croquet, badminton, checkers, duck-duck-goose, dominoes, etc. -- with my friends, parents, and others. I'm sure I was thinking about how to win.
  • I asked Daddy to help me build a treehouse, which he did. So I thought about all sorts of things related to that task.

Most directly related to your remark, I recall that at naptime one day in the first grade, three other kids and I crawled under the beds and played "I'll show you mine if you show me yours." When I saw the girls', I thought, "What's up with that? How on Earth does that work? I'm sure glad I'm not a girl. What a nuisance that setup must be." Was sex and gender specifically on my mind? No, not in the precise and active sense of the transgender discussion broached in this line of discussion. It was nothing more than a precocious curiosity thing.

Given my first grade reaction to discovering "girl parts," there's no doubt in my mind that I definitely was not thinking I should have been born female. Indeed, I haven't ever thought the body parts I was born with are incongruous with those my brain thinks I should have been born with. Thus I'm hardly in a position to use my personal thoughts and experience as a basis for opining about or attesting to what transgender kids think about their own sex, or sex in general, at seven years old or at any any other age. I also wasn't a musical, math or other prodigy/savant at seven years old; thus also I have no idea what those kids think about.

At 7 years old, all we were thinking about is kid stuff...

Apparently, all seven year olds don't think only about "kid stuff." Perhaps, however, some seven year olds play "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" and think, "That's what I should have instead of what I got." I don't know, but it's probably not outside the realm of possible thoughts youngsters may have.
ONCE PLAYED that game, and the questions began, this is where the parents put everyone on the right track again, and all of it into the proper perspective, but if have mental problems then more should be done to address that situation or the parents should know to get help and not encourage something because today's strange thinkers suggest otherwise .

Frankly, I don't think that what a person thinks about their own sex and whether it's the right or wrong one for themselves is someting the rest of us who have never had that experience should concern ourselves about in terms of whether it's a problem or not a problem. I think those of us who are content with the "bit" we've been given need to just move on with our lives and let the folks who are dissatisfied with their "bits" do whatever they want to do with themselves to address the matter.

I have to be honest. Were any of my kids to have informed me that they felt they should become the other sex, short of sending them to a therapist, I don't know what I'd do or allow. That's just not the kind of situation that I think lends itself to abstractly concluding about it, one's choices and feelings, etc. until/unless one must live it. I think that as a parent and I think it in the abstract with regard to folks who feel they are of the wrong sex. The science can say all sorts of things and show all sorts of things, but the reality is that I just don't know what that must be like. I can't even imagine what it's like. The same is so in my mind about a number of things that are uncommon, but not unheard of in the human experience.
. Fair enough.. Back on topic or maybe we have beat this dead horse enough already.

We're you thinking about your sex or gender at 7 years old ? No you weren't, and don't try and lie by saying you were.

No, not that I can recall. Indeed, were one to ask of what I was specifically thinking as a seven year old, I'd have to answer in terms of events I can remember from then and infer that they and things related to them were what I was thinking about.
  • I got a telescope for my birthday that year, so I was thinking about the moon and the stars.
  • I loved to read about nature and animals, and I recall asking my parents if we could go to Africa for Christmas to see zebras and lions and whatnot.
  • I remember visiting my Southern relatives and hearing Granddaddy's tales about there being 'gators in the pond in front of the house and that being the reason he never could catch a big fish there. I thought I probably shouldn't go down to the pond by myself.
  • I recall singing songs with the women who worked in my family's home. I thought I like singing and hanging out with them.
  • I remember my aunt advising me to "never let the good be the enemy of the best."
  • I remember watching television with Mother one evening and Daddy's walking into the room and heading straight for the restroom to "puke his brains out," whereupon Mother shuffled me out of the room and told me to go to bed. I was wondering why Daddy was sick.
  • I remember playing all sorts of games -- tag, baseball, kickball, football, Monopoly, Life, croquet, badminton, checkers, duck-duck-goose, dominoes, etc. -- with my friends, parents, and others. I'm sure I was thinking about how to win.
  • I asked Daddy to help me build a treehouse, which he did. So I thought about all sorts of things related to that task.

Most directly related to your remark, I recall that at naptime one day in the first grade, three other kids and I crawled under the beds and played "I'll show you mine if you show me yours." When I saw the girls', I thought, "What's up with that? How on Earth does that work? I'm sure glad I'm not a girl. What a nuisance that setup must be." Was sex and gender specifically on my mind? No, not in the precise and active sense of the transgender discussion broached in this line of discussion. It was nothing more than a precocious curiosity thing.

Given my first grade reaction to discovering "girl parts," there's no doubt in my mind that I definitely was not thinking I should have been born female. Indeed, I haven't ever thought the body parts I was born with are incongruous with those my brain thinks I should have been born with. Thus I'm hardly in a position to use my personal thoughts and experience as a basis for opining about or attesting to what transgender kids think about their own sex, or sex in general, at seven years old or at any any other age. I also wasn't a musical, math or other prodigy/savant at seven years old; thus also I have no idea what those kids think about.

At 7 years old, all we were thinking about is kid stuff...

Apparently, all seven year olds don't think only about "kid stuff." Perhaps, however, some seven year olds play "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" and think, "That's what I should have instead of what I got." I don't know, but it's probably not outside the realm of possible thoughts youngsters may have.
ONCE PLAYED that game, and the questions began, this is where the parents put everyone on the right track again, and all of it into the proper perspective, but if have mental problems then more should be done to address that situation or the parents should know to get help and not encourage something because today's strange thinkers suggest otherwise .

Frankly, I don't think that what a person thinks about their own sex and whether it's the right or wrong one for themselves is someting the rest of us who have never had that experience should concern ourselves about in terms of whether it's a problem or not a problem. I think those of us who are content with the "bit" we've been given need to just move on with our lives and let the folks who are dissatisfied with their "bits" do whatever they want to do with themselves to address the matter.

I have to be honest. Were any of my kids to have informed me that they felt they should become the other sex, short of sending them to a therapist, I don't know what I'd do or allow. That's just not the kind of situation that I think lends itself to abstractly concluding about it, one's choices and feelings, etc. until/unless one must live it. I think that as a parent and I think it in the abstract with regard to folks who feel they are of the wrong sex. The science can say all sorts of things and show all sorts of things, but the reality is that I just don't know what that must be like. I can't even imagine what it's like. The same is so in my mind about a number of things that are uncommon, but not unheard of in the human experience.
. Fair enough.. Back on topic or maybe we have beat this dead horse enough already.
I've certainly said all I care to have to say on that topic.

Forum List

Back