Prison Reform....And Psychiatric Hospitals

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
The time is coming, and soon, when we are going to have to decide if we want prisons to house our critically mentally ill, or if we want psychiatric hospitals and long-term care facilities to do it.

We are doing the best we can in the K-12 schools with the explosion--and I do mean explosion--of mental, emotional, and behavioral issues in the last 5-10 years. But we can barely keep a lid on all that's going on, and if we had anything like a real media in this nation, you would be hearing about the violence that happens every day, in every school I know about, including preschools. Yes, preschools.

Many of these children are labeled "special needs", and that's not invalid. But the law doesn't care if you're special needs and you assault someone, especially once you turn 18. Unless something changes and fast, these people WILL end up in the penal system. Once there: are they going to end up in prison systems, or are we going to open up better facilities?

Should We Bring Back Public Psychiatric Hospitals?

The time is coming, and soon, when we are going to have to decide if we want prisons to house our critically mentally ill, or if we want psychiatric hospitals and long-term care facilities to do it.

We are doing the best we can in the K-12 schools with the explosion--and I do mean explosion--of mental, emotional, and behavioral issues in the last 5-10 years. But we can barely keep a lid on all that's going on, and if we had anything like a real media in this nation, you would be hearing about the violence that happens every day, in every school I know about, including preschools. Yes, preschools.

Many of these children are labeled "special needs", and that's not invalid. But the law doesn't care if you're special needs and you assault someone, especially once you turn 18. Unless something changes and fast, these people WILL end up in the penal system. Once there: are they going to end up in prison systems, or are we going to open up better facilities?

Yes Mental health systems need a return. One side for non-violent, other side for the cray cray.

That boy in Broward county would have been in Chattahoochee and never hurt anyone if it was the 60s.

The criminally insane should be prisoned. The rest are usually the homeless and we should have soup kitchens for them and shelters. You want them to be drugged up in a hospital. Most do not even like the shelters.

Yes Mental health systems need a return. One side for non-violent, other side for the cray cray.

That boy in Broward county would have been in Chattahoochee and never hurt anyone if it was the 60s.
Psychiatry is more art than science. It is devlishly difficult to predict the future conductof those afflicted with psychological pathologies with any great degree of suuccess. It was decided that "mainstreaming" those who were deemed not violent and did not wish to be on custodial care was their right.

The criminally insane should be prisoned. The rest are usually the homeless and we should have soup kitchens for them and shelters. You want them to be drugged up in a hospital. Most do not even like the shelters.

Penny wants mentally ill people in prisons and also, homeless.

Noted. Penny.

Psychiatry is more art than science. It is devlishly difficult to predict the future conductof those afflicted with psychological pathologies with any great degree of suuccess. It was decided that "mainstreaming" those who were deemed not violent and did not wish to be on custodial care was their right.

But now they are in prison. I don't think that's a great solution--long-term mental care in prison.

Noted. Penny.

That's where they are now.

It's not very often you get liberals to admit they actually CONDONE mentally ill people being housed in prisons..and on the street, with occasional stops for shelters.

But then there's Penny.

But now they are in prison. I don't think that's a great solution--long-term mental care in prison.
You would have to be penologist to distinguish between a prison mental ward and a place like Atascadero, whatever they're called thtese days.

You would have to be penologist to distinguish between a prison mental ward and a place like Atascadero, whatever they're called thtese days.

Prisons don't have 'mental wards'. I mean not really. They might have a few cells for mental patients. But it's prison.

Prisons don't have 'mental wards'. I mean not really. They might have a few cells for mental patients. But it's prison.
Of course it's still prison. Those found innocent by reason of insanity for violent crimes are housed in very similar conditions.

We're bickering about nomenclature, little more.

Noted. Penny.

It's not very often you get liberals to admit they actually CONDONE mentally ill people being housed in prisons..and on the street, with occasional stops for shelters.

But then there's Penny.
Now this is what I said:

So you are suggesting letting a serial murderer or pedophile to be in a long term mental institution. Both are sick in my opinion and in the opinion of most.

Noted. Penny.

But then there's Penny.
Now this is what I said:

Right. You said you want them:

1. In prison and
2. Homeless (with shelters)

rather than properly treated in care homes. So there we are, Penny

So you are suggesting letting a serial murderer or pedophile to be in a long term mental institution. Both are sick in my opinion and in the opinion of most.

No. Someone who has committed such violent crimes should not be in a mental institution, they should be in prison, or perhaps a hybrid. But you realize people with serious mental disorders are in prison for much less than serial murder and pedophilia. And serial murder and pedophilia are not, by themselves, mental disorders.

A case you might be interested in then: Albert Fish, serial killer, pedophile and absolutely bonkers. Can't say I disagreed with his execution.

Albert Fish - Wikipedia

I agree, but what's the alternative? Locking people up because of their mental illness preemptively? That could lead to all sorts of abuses and did back in the days when we had mental institutions.

Right but not having mental hospitals and care homes because "back in the day" they were bad is no reason not to have them again. That's illogical.

Right but not having mental hospitals and care homes because "back in the day" they were bad is no reason not to have them again. That's illogical.

I'm sure we can do them worse this time.

You see, the funny thing was back in the day, when the rich actually paid their fair share, there was plenty of money to fund these mental hospitals. True, not much was done to actually cure these folks because most of them are incurable.

I could imagine what they'd be like today if we had a choice between providing a poor person proper treatment and making sure a rich person could buy his Dressage Horse.

We'd probably fuck up that choice.

You see, being an old guy, I remember what it was like when they decided that locking people up against their will was unconstitutional. We had hoped that they would just transition to outpatient clinics. Nope. Didn't happen. Ronnie Ray-gun had more important priorities, like buying expensive military equipment and giving tax cuts to millionaires!

So funny thing. The neighborhood where I grew up was suddenly infested with the homeless panhandling. Fortunately, they never wandered more than a few blocks from the liquor store.

I'm sure we can do them worse this time.

You see, the funny thing was back in the day, when the rich actually paid their fair share, there was plenty of money to fund these mental hospitals. True, not much was done to actually cure these folks because most of them are incurable.

I could imagine what they'd be like today if we had a choice between providing a poor person proper treatment and making sure a rich person could buy his Dressage Horse.

We'd probably fuck up that choice.

You see, being an old guy, I remember what it was like when they decided that locking people up against their will was unconstitutional. We had hoped that they would just transition to outpatient clinics. Nope. Didn't happen. Ronnie Ray-gun had more important priorities, like buying expensive military equipment and giving tax cuts to millionaires!

So funny thing. The neighborhood where I grew up was suddenly infested with the homeless panhandling. Fortunately, they never wandered more than a few blocks from the liquor store.

Won't be conversing with you anymore Joe. I offended the oppressive Middle Eastern religion you love so much so you called me an "Islamophobic Twat".

For those reading, I was called thus because I correctly cited the Hadith in which Mohammad mentions FGM. That is why I was called this name.

Get lost, Joe. You have a very small mind and you're not worth my time or serious discourse.

Forum List

Back