Prison Reform....And Psychiatric Hospitals

The tragic irony of shutting them down is that the alternative is so much worse. Because the alternative has been prison and homelessness. Which one liberal poster here has not minded too much, anyway.

1) It wasn't worse. There's a reason why they closed them down 50 years ago, because they were horrible places.

2) If we aren't going to address the issue of income inequality, we aren't going to fix the results of it. (I.E. the poor mentally ill ending up on grates or prison.)

3) When you offer to pay a higher tax rate to support these places, let me know.

The time is coming, and soon, when we are going to have to decide if we want prisons to house our critically mentally ill, or if we want psychiatric hospitals and long-term care facilities to do it.

We are doing the best we can in the K-12 schools with the explosion--and I do mean explosion--of mental, emotional, and behavioral issues in the last 5-10 years. But we can barely keep a lid on all that's going on, and if we had anything like a real media in this nation, you would be hearing about the violence that happens every day, in every school I know about, including preschools. Yes, preschools.

Many of these children are labeled "special needs", and that's not invalid. But the law doesn't care if you're special needs and you assault someone, especially once you turn 18. Unless something changes and fast, these people WILL end up in the penal system. Once there: are they going to end up in prison systems, or are we going to open up better facilities?

Should We Bring Back Public Psychiatric Hospitals?

Yes. Yes, we need to bring them back ASAP.

Long term care and possibly lifelong care. I can tell you horror stories. I have seen people in psych wards that went in and are violent and then are arrested after becoming violent. The holy hell is that?

In home care? The mother in her 60s trying to control the daughter in her 30s that is wielding knives in a psychotic break. The therapist in her 20s that comes out once a week is telling the daughter to ignore the mom and she needs to learn how to make her own decisions.....to live independently. Stops coming to the home because of the aggression and now wants the daughter to come to the office to tell her to make her own decisions, ignore mom and she needs to live independently.

Here is the deal and people need to get real used to this...........there is no profit to be made here. None. But, you will stop paying out in other areas. Consider the amount of money that is spent from the time of arrest, incarceration at jail, money spent on the judge, to be released when they are found to be unfit back on the street and then repeat until they wind up in prison. That's not counting the cost of the number of people that are harmed and require medical care through out that trip.

I am not even thinking of just dx like psychosis, but severe autism. This is very sad and I feel, believe me, for families affected by this. But adults with autism who have violent meltdowns are often very violent and VERY strong. They can be dangerous to themselves and others. They should NOT be in prison. They SHOULD be in well-run and homes with much oversight. It becomes too much, and very quickly, to expect parents to become 24/7 caretakers of these most severe cases.

I have a friend of mine that has a severely autistic son that is now in his mid 20s. She lives outside of Chicago and is technically in Indiana. I have known him since he was 15. She is almost 60 now. He was in public education but went to a completely different building where they worked with him so he didn't have to deal with the chaos of mainstream kids. By the age of 17 he was physically a grown man. He was able to attend school until 21.

She had tried to get him into a group home because he would beat the living bejeezes out of her. She would try to get him into a psych ward but he was not admitted because he didn't meet the criteria. Well, now she is in a situation where she is looking at how much longer on the planet she is going to be around and there is no one else that is willing or able to care for him. These are the things that parents struggle with. Don't wanna do it but cannot continue.

Last edited:
I'm for bringing back Mental Hospitals almost exactly like they were. No shock therapy and abuse, though.

A sizable chunk of what goes to the jails/prisons could be used for it, because they're there anyway.

Crazy covers a lot. You can have a harmless psychotic, a homicidal maniac, and a lightbulb whisperer, they all need to be in different wards. Right now they're just all in jail. Mental Hospitals worked well for around a century or more.

The tragic irony of shutting them down is that the alternative is so much worse. Because the alternative has been prison and homelessness. Which one liberal poster here has not minded too much, anyway.

So you are just being selfish, you do not want any kids in your class that are disorderly. I have a niece in law and she has a masters (daddy paid for her school) and she has classes of broken home kids (she continually bitches about them, yet she makes big bucks), see you need to go back to childhood with most of these kids.

The time is coming, and soon, when we are going to have to decide if we want prisons to house our critically mentally ill, or if we want psychiatric hospitals and long-term care facilities to do it.

We are doing the best we can in the K-12 schools with the explosion--and I do mean explosion--of mental, emotional, and behavioral issues in the last 5-10 years. But we can barely keep a lid on all that's going on, and if we had anything like a real media in this nation, you would be hearing about the violence that happens every day, in every school I know about, including preschools. Yes, preschools.

Many of these children are labeled "special needs", and that's not invalid. But the law doesn't care if you're special needs and you assault someone, especially once you turn 18. Unless something changes and fast, these people WILL end up in the penal system. Once there: are they going to end up in prison systems, or are we going to open up better facilities?

Long term care and possibly lifelong care. I can tell you horror stories. I have seen people in psych wards that went in and are violent and then are arrested after becoming violent. The holy hell is that?

In home care? The mother in her 60s trying to control the daughter in her 30s that is wielding knives in a psychotic break. The therapist in her 20s that comes out once a week is telling the daughter to ignore the mom and she needs to learn how to make her own decisions.....to live independently. Stops coming to the home because of the aggression and now wants the daughter to come to the office to tell her to make her own decisions, ignore mom and she needs to live independently.

Here is the deal and people need to get real used to this...........there is no profit to be made here. None. But, you will stop paying out in other areas. Consider the amount of money that is spent from the time of arrest, incarceration at jail, money spent on the judge, to be released when they are found to be unfit back on the street and then repeat until they wind up in prison. That's not counting the cost of the number of people that are harmed and require medical care through out that trip.

I am not even thinking of just dx like psychosis, but severe autism. This is very sad and I feel, believe me, for families affected by this. But adults with autism who have violent meltdowns are often very violent and VERY strong. They can be dangerous to themselves and others. They should NOT be in prison. They SHOULD be in well-run and homes with much oversight. It becomes too much, and very quickly, to expect parents to become 24/7 caretakers of these most severe cases.

I have a friend of mine that has a severely autistic son that is now in his mid 20s. She lives outside of Chicago and is technically in Indiana. I have known him since he was 15. She is almost 60 now. He was in public education but went to a completely different building where they worked with him so he didn't have to deal with the chaos of mainstreamed kids. By the age of 17 he was physically a grown man. He was able to attend school until 21.

She had tried to get him into a group home because he would beat the living bejeezes out of her. She would try to get him into a psych ward but he was not admitted because he didn't meet the criteria. Well, now she is in a situation where she is looking at how much longer on the planet she is going to be around and there is no one else that is willing or able to care for him. These are the things that parents struggle with. Don't wanna do it but cannot continue.

because he would beat the living bejeezes out of her
, so would be it ok if he beat the living bejeezes out of someone else.

I have a friend of mine that has a severely autistic son that is now in his mid 20s. She lives outside of Chicago and is technically in Indiana. I have known him since he was 15. She is almost 60 now. He was in public education but went to a completely different building where they worked with him so he didn't have to deal with the chaos of mainstreamed kids. By the age of 17 he was physically a grown man. He was able to attend school until 21.

If he was in a group home there would be staff available that had training.

When you are willing to pay a 50% tax rate to pay for this shit, let me know.

I'm not.

He sounds like a threat to others, so a group home where others are is not a good thing. What criteria is that?

He sounds like a threat to others, so a group home where others are is not a good thing. What criteria is that?

A group home is an excellent thing. He would have the routine that he needs, he would have access to medical care, routine check ups, medication and more freedom than a psych ward or prison would have. He would have meals that are prepared for him because he can't do that on his own. When melt downs occur there are staff available that are trained to restrain without harming him.

I'm for bringing back Mental Hospitals almost exactly like they were. No shock therapy and abuse, though.

A sizable chunk of what goes to the jails/prisons could be used for it, because they're there anyway.

Crazy covers a lot. You can have a harmless psychotic, a homicidal maniac, and a lightbulb whisperer, they all need to be in different wards. Right now they're just all in jail. Mental Hospitals worked well for around a century or more.

So you are just being selfish, you do not want any kids in your class that are disorderly. I have a niece in law and she has a masters (daddy paid for her school) and she has classes of broken home kids (she continually bitches about them, yet she makes big bucks), see you need to go back to childhood with most of these kids.
Completely different issues although there may be some overlap.

A group home is an excellent thing. He would have the routine that he needs, he would have access to medical care, routine check ups, medication and more freedom than a psych ward or prison would have. He would have meals that are prepared for him because he can't do that on his own. When melt downs occur there are staff available that are trained to restrain without harming him.

Again, not really keen on paying 50% taxes so crazy malingerers can live in resorts.

Are you aware of what group homes are, They are state run, they house autism, PKU's, Downs, etc. If they become a danger to others, its time to lock them up. The GOP and Trump is working to cut funding for Medicaid in every state.

Not all of them are state run. It depends on the state. Further, you don't want these people in prison and had there been available resources prison may have been avoided to begin with.

Are you aware of what group homes are, They are state run, they house autism, PKU's, Downs, etc. If they become a danger to others, its time to lock them up. The GOP and Trump is working to cut funding for Medicaid in every state.

Not all of them are state run. It depends on the state. Further, you don't want these people in prison and had there been available resources prison may have been avoided to begin with.

I misspoke, most are county run. I know I worked in them for a couple years while in school. No real training and the home owners as well. I worked with Alzheimer's Downs and Autism (many variables , some severe to minimally affected). They needed to be watched every minute, and I worked in several, from only 2 residents to 6. One made me very nervous, the PKU guy, tall and strong, he use to get very agitated. The families mainly gave them over to the ward of the state.
Group home - Wikipedia

they mainly rely on Medicaid funding and Trump and the GOP are making it less available.

Last edited:

I misspoke, most are county run. I know I worked in them for a couple years while in school. No real training and the home owners as well. I worked with Alzheimer's Downs and Autism (many variables , some severe to minimally affected). They needed to be watched every minute, and I worked in several, from only 2 residents to 6. One made me very nervous, the PKU guy, tall and strong, he use to get very agitated. The families mainly gave them over to the ward of the state.
Group home - Wikipedia

they mainly rely on Medicaid funding and Trump and the GOP are making it less available.

Depends on the state. Most have been privatized as well as the nursing homes.
Have been for 15-20 years.

Joe, you bore the hell out of me with your nonsensical shit. We aren't doing this.

This is a nationwide problem.

It not my problem you can't get your free meds..

I don't need meds. I've been working with the mentally ill since 2006. Welcome to ignore.

Thank you so much for weighing in on this thread. I hope you will hang in there because I really value your input.

I have been a public school teacher since the early 90s. If you haven't yet heard, take it from me--the stuff we are seeing EVERYwhere now...we can hardly believe it. Children running out of schools left and right. Total meltdowns. Crises everywhere. Behavioral, mental, you name it. It's an epidemic. We have to think of this now because in a few years.....

Yes that is with the advent of private schools and home schooling and now with Devos and Trump in charge, say goodbye to the public schools, they let the public schools go to the ruin. They raise our taxes every year and use the money elsewhere.

I am for getting rid of private and religious schools and you should be too.

No, society has led to the downfall of everything Penny--complete rot in the culture. And of course you don't want people to have the choice of private or religious schools--you're just a good little unthinking totalitarian at heart. We know this.

I have a friend of mine that has a severely autistic son that is now in his mid 20s. She lives outside of Chicago and is technically in Indiana. I have known him since he was 15. She is almost 60 now. He was in public education but went to a completely different building where they worked with him so he didn't have to deal with the chaos of mainstream kids. By the age of 17 he was physically a grown man. He was able to attend school until 21.

No one wants to talk about so much in our society and this is just one of them. Sadly.

So, yep, he would have been in the public schools 15 years ago. Autism had exploded then and has continued to explode--but now, added with all kinds of other behavior disorders than come with violent manifestations. Eventually he will go violent on someone other than his mother, he will be charged and imprisoned. Or at least this is a strong possibility.

We have to do better. If no other argument will persuade people, for the costs alone.

Penny you're one of the most small-minded people I have ever encountered--witness you whining about your nephew's wife here--and you project this on everyone else. Your niece's nice job and money is just something for YOU to envy. The students in my class I worry about are just a pain for ME to deal with. You you you you you it's all about Penny, so to Penny, everyone else must be selfish too.

IOW Penny doesn't like Jews so the Holocaust didn't happen.

Just buzz off, Penny.

When you are willing to pay a 50% tax rate to pay for this shit, let me know.

I'm not.

The tax money's already there, dumbass. It goes to the jails and the prisons.

The tax money's already there, dumbass. It goes to the jails and the prisons.

I see you are poor at math. We don't lock up EVERY crazy person in prison now, just the violent ones. Getting the violent ones into mental hospitals isn't the problem. What the Wonder Twins were asking for was to have the kind of widespread mental hospitals where we locked up everyone's crazy wife and cousin. Like we had in the 60's before we decided that was a bad idea.

upload_2019-3-17_18-48-13.jpeg

To lock them ALL up would be astronomical, as people of means will be in a big hurry to dump their crazy cousins off on the state. Again, if you guys want the kind of tax burden to do that, that's awesome..

Penny you're one of the most small-minded people I have ever encountered--witness you whining about your nephew's wife here--and you project this on everyone else. Your niece's nice job and money is just something for YOU to envy. The students in my class I worry about are just a pain for ME to deal with. You you you you you it's all about Penny, so to Penny, everyone else must be selfish too.

IOW Penny doesn't like Jews so the Holocaust didn't happen.

Just buzz off, Penny.

Its small minded to think WWII was only about the jews. You are here complaining about your job in Public Schools. My niece in law obsessively complains about her job as well.

Maybe you both should not be teachers in K-12. Since you teach the same lessons year after year the biggest challenge to you teachers are how to make your students interested. Then you get several weeks in the summer and 2 at Xmas to think about it. spoiled brats.

Forum List

Back