Prison cell phone jammers and red tape

Cellular jammers can affect two-way radios too
Logistics through concrete, etc can also be a problem-
How to buy the best radio for your correctional facility

Landlines can't go with you in an emergency situation.
If you jam communications wouldn't that also jam access for authorities use as well?
When it came time for lights out at Lieber Correctional Institution on the evening of July Fourth, officers at the maximum-security South Carolinaprison thought they had all 1,300 inmates accounted for.

But convicted kidnapper Jimmy Causey wasn't in his bunk, a homemade dummy stuffed under the covers in his place. By the time prison officials realized Causey was missing, he'd already been gone for nearly a full day. Authorities gave new details of his plot following his capture early Friday after more than two days on the run.

Aided by wire cutters that authorities believe were flown in by a drone, Causey made it out of his cell, exited the dorm and cut through a series of metal fences. Authorities haven't said if he had a getaway car waiting for him.

But Causey got away, and fast. By the time officials confirmed he was gone, Causey had an 18-hour head start on law enforcement. He made it 1,200 miles (1,900 km) to Austin, Texas, where he was captured.

For Stirling, it's contraband cellphones that represent the biggest security threat, both inside and out of the prison. Last month, six correctional officers were rescued after an attempted confiscation of an inmate's cellphone prompted a fight at a different prison in South Carolina.

In 2010, a veteran South Carolina correctional officer survived being shot six times at his home after officials say an inmate planned the shooting and used an illegal cellphone to coordinate with the shooter.

Stirling, who for years has spoken out about the dangers posed by inmates' access to illegal cellphones behind bars, has asked the Federal Communications Commission for permission to jam cell signals at South Carolina prisons. Chairman Ajit Pai has said he's sympathetic to the problem, but the FCC has previously said its hands are tied by a decades-old law that says the agency can grant permission to jam the public airwaves only to federal agencies, not state or local ones. Any change is opposed by the cellphone industry, out of concern it could lead to wider gaps in their networks.

SC officials: Illegal cellphone, drone aided inmate's escape

One would think that something that is so logical and so important would be a no--brainer to correct. But because of our government systems, bureaucracies and industry resistance, all we get is finger pointing instead of action.

Debate and red tape is expected when we have two sides of an issue, but who could be against cell phone jammers in prison which allow some to coordinate nefarious plots and illegal actions right from their prison cells and restrooms?
jam c

You'll never jam landlines.

Two way radios won't jam. I'm sure guards could call in for outside help using those.

If you jam communications wouldn't that also jam access for authorities use as well?
When it came time for lights out at Lieber Correctional Institution on the evening of July Fourth, officers at the maximum-security South Carolinaprison thought they had all 1,300 inmates accounted for.

But convicted kidnapper Jimmy Causey wasn't in his bunk, a homemade dummy stuffed under the covers in his place. By the time prison officials realized Causey was missing, he'd already been gone for nearly a full day. Authorities gave new details of his plot following his capture early Friday after more than two days on the run.

Aided by wire cutters that authorities believe were flown in by a drone, Causey made it out of his cell, exited the dorm and cut through a series of metal fences. Authorities haven't said if he had a getaway car waiting for him.

But Causey got away, and fast. By the time officials confirmed he was gone, Causey had an 18-hour head start on law enforcement. He made it 1,200 miles (1,900 km) to Austin, Texas, where he was captured.

For Stirling, it's contraband cellphones that represent the biggest security threat, both inside and out of the prison. Last month, six correctional officers were rescued after an attempted confiscation of an inmate's cellphone prompted a fight at a different prison in South Carolina.

In 2010, a veteran South Carolina correctional officer survived being shot six times at his home after officials say an inmate planned the shooting and used an illegal cellphone to coordinate with the shooter.

Stirling, who for years has spoken out about the dangers posed by inmates' access to illegal cellphones behind bars, has asked the Federal Communications Commission for permission to jam cell signals at South Carolina prisons. Chairman Ajit Pai has said he's sympathetic to the problem, but the FCC has previously said its hands are tied by a decades-old law that says the agency can grant permission to jam the public airwaves only to federal agencies, not state or local ones. Any change is opposed by the cellphone industry, out of concern it could lead to wider gaps in their networks.

One would think that something that is so logical and so important would be a no--brainer to correct. But because of our government systems, bureaucracies and industry resistance, all we get is finger pointing instead of action.

Debate and red tape is expected when we have two sides of an issue, but who could be against cell phone jammers in prison which allow some to coordinate nefarious plots and illegal actions right from their prison cells and restrooms?
jam c

Two way radios won't jam. I'm sure guards could call in for outside help using those.
The place i worked was so lax, you could kill everything in a few minutes. One of the security experts told the warden one day how to do it. I thought she would piss herself. He said cap the old decrepit mobil patrol driver, run down the phone connector trunk (easy as it was unsecured) Pull down the repeater tower, (chain on truck, easy) Walk in the front door with a FA assault rifle, kill anyone at the entry point, kick the one piece sheet plexiglass out of the door and exit into the "secure area".

Cellular jammers can affect two-way radios too
Logistics through concrete, etc can also be a problem-
How to buy the best radio for your correctional facility

jam c

Our radios a lot of times were junk. That plus the radio traffic was pathetic. Attitudes displayed on air, arguing, calling people out...etc. We even had an asshole that would just key his or her mic and hold it.

jam c

The place i worked was so lax, you could kill everything in a few minutes. One of the security experts told the warden one day how to do it. I thought she would piss herself. He said cap the old decrepit mobil patrol driver, run down the phone connector trunk (easy as it was unsecured) Pull down the repeater tower, (chain on truck, easy) Walk in the front door with a FA assault rifle, kill anyone at the entry point, kick the one piece sheet plexiglass out of the door and exit into the "secure area".

Your front door didn't have a Sally Port with cameras? I worked at a minimum security prison and there is no way a guy with an assault rifle would ever get in.

jam c

Your front door didn't have a Sally Port with cameras? I worked at a minimum security prison and there is no way a guy with an assault rifle would ever get in.
No, it was just a double door with cameras that didn't work. The MOST dangerous post on the unit.

From my experience, these escapes are always helped by employees who dont do their job. always.

Or crooked employees. Doing some research on the subject, I found one that stated prison guards are paid up to $1,000 to sneak in one cell phone to a prisoner. If you could get away doing that with five phones a week, we're talking some pretty good vacation money.
Yes, and cigarettes, 100 dollars a pack. And then, and it's a big and, where do they get thousands of dollars in prison when having any cash, even so much as a coin is illegal? Sounds like someone is not doing their job. ;)

The money (and payments) more likely come from the outside. It's not hard for a wife of an inmate to meet a guard at Denny's and slip him or her a couple hundred bucks to sneak something in for them.
Plus on visitation day, the visitors are NOT subjected to a thorough search and can hide things in bras and crotches. Also, the convicts leaving visitation are supposed to be subjected to a thorough strip search. Few are. I did it and the cons hated me. What they called a tdc search consisted of this:

Remove all clothing
I search each piece
convicts opens mouth and lifts tongue
lowers head and runs his finger through is hair
lifts his arms
Remove any prosthetic devices
lifts bottom of feet.
Lifts penis and testicles up so you can see under them
Spreads cheeks, squats down and coughs.

You'd be surprised how many lazy fucks wont do it.

When I was no longer working for the prison I ran into a girl that was the sister of one of the guys that was locked up in the place I worked. She told me how she used to bring drugs into the prison for her brother all the time. She'd hide it in her bra or underwear. Then in our visitation they would have a popcorn machine with little popcorn bags. She would take one of those into the bathroom with her, put the drugs in the bottom of it. When the visit was finished, the piss poor visitation officers that didn't do their jobs would let the inmate take the bag of popcorn back to his cell. The rule was supposed to be anything you got at visitation... including stuff out of the vending machines and the popcorn, was supposed to be eaten in visitation, never taken back to the cell.
Yep, the cons would always give me their candy bars and stuff so I could give them to another con. I'd toss them. If they wanted to eat them themself I would give them a minute or two to do it.

No, it was just a double door with cameras that didn't work. The MOST dangerous post on the unit.
It got so bad I told the lt. that I wouldn't work that post anymore unless I could carry a pistol. End of that post. I cannot express well enough how fucked up this place was and how glad I am I finally quit.

It got so bad I told the lt. that I wouldn't work that post anymore unless I could carry a pistol. End of that post. I cannot express well enough how fucked up this place was and how glad I am I finally quit.

That sounds like a private prison and not a state prison?

I'd tell you where but I have a relative working there still.

I'd tell you where but I have a relative working there still.

I can tell you where I used to work... but they shut it down. After I left they turned it into a women's prison, but then after budget cuts they shut it down and transferred the employees and the ones they didn't have spots for they let them go. It was called MEPRC, Montgomery Education and Pre-Release Center.

Forum List

Back