President Obama, Bring Jon Hammar Home!

President Obama should demad this Marine's release and return:

• Yes

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
The parents got nowhere with the US government. The state department flatly refused to help. Then they appeared on the O'Reilly Factor. The resulting public outcry got the attention of Senators Bill Nelson and Marco Rubio and that's where they got results. Up until then, the prison authorities made ransom demands or their son would be killed.

Since Jon Hammar was not demanding free birth control, nor did he look like he could be obama's son, this nation had no interest in this case.

Yes.

I haven't become 'fully informed' on the Fast and Furious/Eric Holder issue--I can only assume that is also a factor.

I would be reluctant to travel to Mexico, Central/South America and most other international destinations. Belize is being touted as a 'haven' of some sort for those who have the sort of wealth that requires protection--not so sure that is true.

If he had checked Mexican gun laws before attempting to cross the border he would have realized that you can't simply declare a gun. He probably would have also encountered various warnings about not traveling into Mexico.

Do I think he deserved to be locked up? No. However I think he learned a valuable lesson and most likely would have ended up far worse off had he been able to pass through Mexico and been forced to deal with officials in Honduras or Nicaragua.

If you had read more carefully, he was NOT arrested for declaring a gun. He did that quite legally. He was arrested for having a gun that was 1" shorter than regulation. That's it. End of story.

John Hammar is a USMC veteran, having served his tour of duty in Iraq.

article-2247035-1673D328000005DC-751_306x423.jpg

Four month's ago:

Hammar and a friend were on their way to Costa Rica in August and planned to drive across the Mexican border near Matamoros in a Winnebago filled with surfboards and camping gear.

Hammar asked U.S. border agents what to do with an unloaded shotgun, which his family said belonged to his great-grandfather.

'They examined it, they weighed it, they said you have to fill out this form,' his father, also named Jon, told The Associated Press in a phone interview on Tuesday, December 11.

But when Hammar and his friend crossed the border and handed the paperwork to Mexican officials, they impounded the RV and jailed the two men, saying it was illegal to carry that type of gun - which they deemed to be an inch too short.

Hammar's friend was later released because the gun did not belong to him.

Read more: John Hammar: First photo revealed of US Marine jailed in one of Mexico's most notorious prisons | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The Mexican President would apparently have to go up against the notorious Zeta Drug Cartel to get him released by Mexican authorities, and presumably has been unwilling to do so. U.S. Marine Jon Hammar Has Been Left Behind in a Mexican Prison | Independent Sentinel

Those working for Hammar's release are petitioning President Obama to interveene. Tell President Pena Nieto go get Hammar out of there and get him home by Christmas. He will be a hero. And if he does not, he should be adivsed that American aid to Mexico will be immediately very scarce.

Again the U.S. media seems reluctant to focus on this story. But public pressure has and will make a difference.
I hope everything turns out well for that fucking idiot marine. Semper fi.

He did not have the advanced permit Mexico requires.

He did his damndest to fully comply with the law. He checked the laws with the American authorities who advised him and gave him the paperwork to complete. And on the Mexican side he furnished that paperwork and did everything he knew to do to comply with Mexican law. He was arrested for having a shotgun with a barrel that was one inch too short. That was it. There is nothing else to this story. In any decent world the Mexican authorties would have advised him the gun did not meet their specifications and told him he could not bring it into Mexico. Or they would have given him a waiver for the antique.

Last edited:
No he didn't "do his damnest". He didn't do a 5 second google search that would have told him he needed to request a special permit in advance before attempting to declare a weapon. He relied on the officals at the border to know Mexican laws.

"The Department of State warns all U.S. citizens against taking any type of firearm or ammunition into Mexico," the U.S. Embassy in Mexico writes on its website. "Entering Mexico with a firearm, certain types of knives, or even a single round of ammunition is illegal, even if the weapon or ammunition is taken into Mexico unintentionally."

Mexican law also bans shotguns with barrels of less than 25 inches. The family said Hammar's shotgun has a barrel of 24 inches.

Tourists are allowed to bring guns for hunting on rare occasions, but Mexican officials said all visitors must receive a special permit before entering the country. Mexican customs agents do not issue gun permits."

According to his lawyer

"...Mexican authorities determined there was no intent to commit a crime."

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis....ringing-in-gun/&catid=57560485&nb_splitPage=4

Okay, whatever Amy. You're going to believe what you want to believe. And you believe this young Marine broke the Mexican law and deserved what he got, while you think a trucker making a 'wrong turn' with a semi load of ammo was absolutely innocent. I don't have the inclination or patience to argue that kind of logic today, but do have a great Christmas and Holiday week.

No he didn't "do his damnest". He didn't do a 5 second google search that would have told him he needed to request a special permit in advance before attempting to declare a weapon. He relied on the officals at the border to know Mexican laws.

"The Department of State warns all U.S. citizens against taking any type of firearm or ammunition into Mexico," the U.S. Embassy in Mexico writes on its website. "Entering Mexico with a firearm, certain types of knives, or even a single round of ammunition is illegal, even if the weapon or ammunition is taken into Mexico unintentionally."

Mexican law also bans shotguns with barrels of less than 25 inches. The family said Hammar's shotgun has a barrel of 24 inches.

Tourists are allowed to bring guns for hunting on rare occasions, but Mexican officials said all visitors must receive a special permit before entering the country. Mexican customs agents do not issue gun permits."

According to his lawyer

"...Mexican authorities determined there was no intent to commit a crime."

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis....ringing-in-gun/&catid=57560485&nb_splitPage=4

:lol:

He probably bribed those officials.

After reviewing the link in the previous post--

--why didn't US officials inform him of Mexican law?

--why didn't Mexican officials tell him to turn around and go back?

'Very strict interpretation' --on both sides.

I suppose I should be googling each and every state and federal law. At times I hear of laws relating to driving a car that I never knew existed.

Mexico should be satisfied that he 'learned his lesson'. Now they can address the drug cartel issue and hopefully be as successful.

Hammar was arrested because the authorities thought his family had enough money to pay the demanded ransom.

Hammar was arrested because the authorities thought his family had enough money to pay the demanded ransom.

I think you are correct about that. It certainly was not because Hammar didn't offer the proper paperwork or whatever, as that was furnished to him to complete before he ever entered Mexico. And I do think it was due to the efforts of his Congresswoman and public opinion that effected his release.

Forum List

Back