Preschool Kids Less Likely to Grow Up as Criminals

It's not though. Sure it sounds wonderfull.

Send your kids to pre-k so a total stranger can raise them and remove that responsibility from you.

fyi; I am poor. I worked some insane hours, and my ex sold Avon in her spare time to put our kids in the best pre-k we could. Why? The public funded one sucked ass and was little more than a day care.

It's long over due for society to demand parents to actually parent.

Poor people got out of poverty eons before pre-k came around and they are doing so now and will keep doing so.

allow me to be crass for a moment;

The study proves that the goverment is now more capable of raising children than parents are.

even more crass

Poor people suck at raising their kids and our study proves it.

Harsh

I think the study proves poor parents who do take advantage of the pre school offerings have more successful children due to education advantages. Like yourself those who cared about their kids early education are not suckie parents.

Study: Preschool Kids Less Likely to Grow Up as Criminals

It's a shame that many lawmakers are so eager to cut schools.

I don't think that proves that Preschool actually does anything to prevent kids from growing up to be criminals.

I think the very fact that a kid is in Preschool shows he has parents who cares about his education. A large percentage of criminals come from broken homes, drug addicted parents, extreme poverty or suffer from mental and emotional problems. These are not the children who show up in Preschool

I don't think Preschool is like Boys Town where there are no bad boys

Last edited:

Send your kids to pre-k so a total stranger can raise them and remove that responsibility from you.

fyi; I am poor. I worked some insane hours, and my ex sold Avon in her spare time to put our kids in the best pre-k we could. Why? The public funded one sucked ass and was little more than a day care.

Poor people got out of poverty eons before pre-k came around and they are doing so now and will keep doing so.

The study proves that the goverment is now more capable of raising children than parents are.

even more crass

Harsh

I think the study proves poor parents who do take advantage of the pre school offerings have more successful children due to education advantages. Like yourself those who cared about their kids early education are not suckie parents.

Yep. Not "All" poor parents suck at being parents. Most do want a better life for their children. I see it first hand every day, working in a poverty area.

I wonder how many opposed to this concept have spent their time in an inner-city school. Young children really do want to learn.

The hard part is keeping that thirst for learning as they grow older.

a) I could not find a link to the study itself, do you know where it is

b)....read this...theres a message in there.....and why I want to see the study-

The study found that those who attended Chicago's Child-Parent Center program were 21 percent more likely to graduate from high school on time, and 31 percent were more likely to have attended a four-year college. Reynolds, co-director of the Human Capital Research Collaborative and a professor of child development, says the length of the study is unprecedented.
It was published in the journal Science. I do not know if you can read it online or not.

well, if we are going to draw conclusions based on their survey we would probably need to see it, in that as I posted in the excerpt it appears, that is it appears, that the Chicago's Child-Parent Center program infers there was a child parent connection,and involvement, to what extent is my question.

if parent involvement is a sine quo non as the prgm. is constructed then well, this doesn't mean a great deal in that we would need to see numbers of like children whom had a) little parent involvement and how they wound up, b) those that did ( as it appears here) and draw a correlation from there as part of each subset and most importantly what the sampling and object grps was and how they broke that down.

just saying these children did better but had parent involvement and pre school, doesn't mean another set grp etc. of children with parent involvement on non pre school would not have done just as well via standard kindergarten route etc...*shrugs*

Last edited:
they dont believe our kids are worthy of more investiment.

No, we just don't necessarily believe that the Government is the best group to control and direct the education of our young people.

I would be interested to know if the study looked at the type of preschool the kids went to.... public school, private, parochial and if there was any difference between them.

My brothers and I all went to a church run preschool program. No criminal record for any of us. Hell, I don't even have so much as a moving violation on my record. 2 parking tickets, both paid, though 1 I should have fought.

Tell us about modern societies who do not have a public schools system and how they fare in the world?

This is why the abortion issue is so important to some. Some parents shouldn't be parents and they know it, but if the anti abortion people get their way the only ones who will be barred from the procedure will be the ones who can't afford to leave the country to do so.

What we will have then is poor people illequiped to be parents, being forced to become parents. We will have poor children becoming parents when everyone knows they shouldn't or can't. The general public will then be forced to raise these children financially.

Children living in poor households being raised by parents who didn't want them in the first place. Willing to let them be raised by the state, and using them as a means of income from the state. These children then protect said parents from eviction and having to pay bills (heat / electric).

This is what makes the religious conservatives so frustrating to deal with. They are for cutting the majority of social programs which benefit these children in one breath. In the next breath they are against abortion and want these poor parents to have these children.

As for the joke called adoption, most religious people go out of country to adopt kids.

Speaking of parenting, a big push in the inner-city are programs working with the parents to help them with strategies in assisting their children in school. Be it homework, attendance, books in a bag (to read at home with their child) etc.

Parent involvement is a HUGE asset to a child's success in school.

What about those that can't afford to send their kids to a preschool? There are low income families that want a better life for their children. Programs like Head Start really benefit those that need an early start for education.

Again, if we continue the cycle of poverty without education, it will never end. Less poverty is less tax dollars supporting those who live off the govt.

Sounds like a win-win to me.

even more crass

Yes, many people suck at being parents. But......why blame the kids? Don't you think these kids deserve a chance at a better life, so they don't "become" their parents?

PS-I sent my child to a daycare on a single mom budget while I was working. I was lucky to have summers off with her though. Not all parents are that 'lucky' to have that.

They have that chance.

and

Good for you. pre-k can get pricey

I don't think that proves that Preschool actually does anything to prevent kids from growing up to be criminals.

I think the very fact that a kid is in Preschool shows he has parents who cares about his education. A large percentage of criminals come from broken homes, drug addicted parents, extreme poverty or suffer from mental and emotional problems. These are not the children who show up in Preschool

What he said.

even more crass

Harsh

I know. But this is how these studies make me feel.

Why are we lesser people for being poor? b/c we are told that almost daily, there's studies to prove it.

"But 'ohhh' not everybody can work more or harder" :(

It's a bullshit excuse given out like candy. Few expect people, especially poor people, to earn anything.

guess what we are teaching these kids that go to school for free, eat for free and get free supplies?

Everything is free, nothing is earned.

well said.

The US has an under funded education system. Look at countries like Japan, who place much more importance on education. It is no surprise they have better test scores than us.
This bulkshit about parents needing to pay for it themselves is living in fantasy land. I for one could never send my son to the pre school he needs to go to. He is in special Ed pre school at the public school and his teacher is great and holds a masters. Because of this help he will probably be able to mainstream, instead of enter kindergarten in the special Ed program.
He was also able to go to head start, which was ten times better than the private day care/ school he was going to. He was also able to go to a special school for kids with all sorts of problems. Do you think I could afford ti send him to a private school or therapy four times a week?
BecAuse of these "liberal" programs, my son actually has a chance. 50 years ago he would have fallen through the cracks. Get a fucking clue people. When we fund public education and actually get our heads out our asses everyone wins.

funding is at an all time high while results have stagnated at the same time we have invested more....hello.

and we are number one ion absolute dollars, no. 2 per capita and no. 9 via gdp.

The Thread Title should read:

Kids raised by parents who care enough to send them to preschool are less likely to turn into criminals.

The US has an under funded education system.

c223b616-07c7-43e9-8df8-38fc7699ccc5.jpg

The Thread Title should read:

Kids raised by parents who care enough to send them to preschool are less likely to turn into criminals.

I think should read.: Low income kids raised by parents.....

Good point. The school also teaches parenting skills. I think that is a good thing as a lot of people living in extreme poverty have no idea how to become a good parent.

Tell us about modern societies who do not have a public schools system and how they fare in the world?

When and where have I EVER suggested that I am in favor of Modern Society, TM? I am a believer that ANY form of advanced education is a privilege, not a right; and that even the basic ed should be handled at the city/neighborhood/family level much more than at the State or Federal level.

Also remember that as an Isolationist and a Nationalist, I couldn't care any less what other countries do.

Forum List

Back