Preschool Kids Less Likely to Grow Up as Criminals

Early Childhood Education is one way to help our children who live in poverty have a chance in school.

I've seen it first hand. You can tell a difference by those who have had some kind of 'schooling' at an early age, and those that haven't.

I would think EVERYONE would be on board to want these children, and ANY children, have a chance to succeed in school.

Education is the #1 way to get out of poverty and make something of yourself.

Study: Preschool Kids Less Likely to Grow Up as Criminals

It's a shame that many lawmakers are so eager to cut schools.

a) I could not find a link to the study itself, do you know where it is

b)....read this...theres a message in there.....and why I want to see the study-

The study found that those who attended Chicago's Child-Parent Center program were 21 percent more likely to graduate from high school on time, and 31 percent were more likely to have attended a four-year college. Reynolds, co-director of the Human Capital Research Collaborative and a professor of child development, says the length of the study is unprecedented.

What's a real shame is that liberals don't want to pay to send thier kids to pre-school.

I did

Why can't you?

What about those that can't afford to send their kids to a preschool? There are low income families that want a better life for their children. Programs like Head Start really benefit those that need an early start for education.

Again, if we continue the cycle of poverty without education, it will never end. Less poverty is less tax dollars supporting those who live off the govt.

Sounds like a win-win to me.

a) I could not find a link to the study itself, do you know where it is

b)....read this...theres a message in there.....and why I want to see the study-

The study found that those who attended Chicago's Child-Parent Center program were 21 percent more likely to graduate from high school on time, and 31 percent were more likely to have attended a four-year college. Reynolds, co-director of the Human Capital Research Collaborative and a professor of child development, says the length of the study is unprecedented.
It was published in the journal Science. I do not know if you can read it online or not.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Where are the parents. Kids grow up to be criminals because the parents are not doing their job. Making a kid is easy but raising one is another story. Money, politics, religion play a role but parents are the biggest influence and factor in a kids life.

Cutting funding to kids programs makes no difference, before there was pre school kids still turned out ok. Before there were school lunches, DARE programs, school breakfasts, sex education and all the other things that shouldn't be in schools kids still turned out ok. When they didn't it was because the parents were idiots and shouldn't have had kids in the first place.

If you really want to make a difference in a kids life the only way is to improve the economy and make it so both parents don't have to work. This way a parent can actually do the job of raising kids instead of working 40 hours just to pay the bills.

What's a real shame is that liberals don't want to pay to send thier kids to pre-school.

I did

Why can't you?

What about those that can't afford to send their kids to a preschool? There are low income families that want a better life for their children. Programs like Head Start really benefit those that need an early start for education.

Again, if we continue the cycle of poverty without education, it will never end. Less poverty is less tax dollars supporting those who live off the govt.

It's not though. Sure it sounds wonderfull.

Send your kids to pre-k so a total stranger can raise them and remove that responsibility from you.

fyi; I am poor. I worked some insane hours, and my ex sold Avon in her spare time to put our kids in the best pre-k we could. Why? The public funded one sucked ass and was little more than a day care.

It's long over due for society to demand parents to actually parent.

Poor people got out of poverty eons before pre-k came around and they are doing so now and will keep doing so.

allow me to be crass for a moment;

The study proves that the goverment is now more capable of raising children than parents are.

even more crass

Poor people suck at raising their kids and our study proves it.

I did

Why can't you?
I did. Why do you make false assumptions?

Face it, not everyone can afford to do so. It makes sense to publicly fund preschool if this study is correct: it saves us as a society in the long run.

Pre-k is not some mythical right and sending kids will not cure society.

If you want to help the poor, and I know you do, start up a scholorship, where parents can get money from people that can and want to help also instead of forcing those that can't afford it or don't want to.

I know, people helping people is a crazy idea when they volunteer.

sorry, the "You" was a general you, not a you specifically.

they dont believe our kids are worthy of more investiment.

No, we just don't necessarily believe that the Government is the best group to control and direct the education of our young people.

I would be interested to know if the study looked at the type of preschool the kids went to.... public school, private, parochial and if there was any difference between them.

My brothers and I all went to a church run preschool program. No criminal record for any of us. Hell, I don't even have so much as a moving violation on my record. 2 parking tickets, both paid, though 1 I should have fought.

I did

Why can't you?

It's not though. Sure it sounds wonderfull.

Send your kids to pre-k so a total stranger can raise them and remove that responsibility from you.

fyi; I am poor. I worked some insane hours, and my ex sold Avon in her spare time to put our kids in the best pre-k we could. Why? The public funded one sucked ass and was little more than a day care.

It's long over due for society to demand parents to actually parent.

Poor people got out of poverty eons before pre-k came around and they are doing so now and will keep doing so.

allow me to be crass for a moment;

The study proves that the goverment is now more capable of raising children than parents are.

even more crass

Poor people suck at raising their kids and our study proves it.

Yes, many people suck at being parents. But......why blame the kids? Don't you think these kids deserve a chance at a better life, so they don't "become" their parents?

PS-I sent my child to a daycare on a single mom budget while I was working. I was lucky to have summers off with her though. Not all parents are that 'lucky' to have that.

Forum List

Back