Pope Says Stop Giving Babies Offbeat Names

While names such as Sienna and Scarlett have become fashionable in recent years, Pope Benedict XVI called for a return to tradition.

During Mass at the Sistine Chapel, he said: "Every baptised child acquires the character of the son of God, beginning with their Christian name, an unmistakable sign that the Holy Spirit causes man to be born anew in the womb of the Church." He added that a name was an "indelible seal" that set children off on a lifelong "journey of religious faith".

Pope rails against rise of un-Christian names - Telegraph

I kinda sorta agree. Why name a baby after a jewelry store or a race car?

Whaca think?

what are his kids named?

:lol:

If parents want to make their children the object of ridicule by saddling them with some ridiculous name that's their business.

My mother stuck an odd name on me and I was teased relentlessly about it.

It got to the point where I would tell everyone my name was John.

your name is Sue?

EDIT: fuck fuck and fuck.

well it was too obvious.

Last edited:
The pope is within his rights to make suggestions and even mandates to his flock.

Unless hes going to help out the family with raising these kids financially he has no place to decide what is or what is not an appropriate name for these kids.

How is he deciding? He is voicing an opinion, which can only be enforced on people who try to baptize thier children in a Church he happens to lead, making people do anything?

The pope is within his rights to make suggestions and even mandates to his flock.

Unless hes going to help out the family with raising these kids financially he has no place to decide what is or what is not an appropriate name for these kids.

Actually, when it comes to catholics, he does. You'd have to go to catholic school or services to get an understanding.

The Pope was coming to America and the nuns were just giddy, like star struck girls that heard thier boyband was coming to town.

It's also why there are a lot of other types of christians.

Actually, when it comes to catholics, he does. You'd have to go to catholic school or services to get an understanding.

The Pope was coming to America and the nuns were just giddy, like star struck girls that heard thier boyband was coming to town.

I understand that if people want to listen to him thats fine, but as far as I go unless your helping me out with the hospital bills or something you have no damn right to say what I can or cannot name my kid.

I understand that if people want to listen to him thats fine, but as far as I go unless your helping me out with the hospital bills or something you have no damn right to say what I can or cannot name my kid.

Ya, I know....but the stinky cheese kid wished someone had said "no".

LOL.

LOL.

Maybe so but who is the authority to decide what name is or is not appropriate?

In my day, you couldn't get a kid baptised if he wasn't named after a saint, High Gravity. So you approve of "Tiffany" and "Porsche"?

That requirement is still there, but people get around it by using a middle name of a saint.

and if you are hispanic you can get away with Jesus.

I think we need more Salvatores in this world, 99% of the guys named Sal I have met are awsome.

My middle name is Francis. Needless to say I mentioned it once as a kid then never again until I was an adult.

LOL.

the pope.

the only real girl names are maria, immaculata and concepcion.

But disgreeing with the Pope puts you at the head of the line at the entrance to Hell? :eusa_angel:

It's just his opinion. He's not telling you what to do. You can name your kid Shazamz for all I care. I won't make fun of the kid, but I will make fun of you.:lol:

But disgreeing with the Pope puts you at the head of the line at the entrance to Hell? :eusa_angel:

It's just his opinion. He's not telling you what to do. You can name your kid Shazamz for all I care. I won't make fun of the kid, but I will make fun of you.:lol:

Shazamz is a cool name.

LOL.

There was an Austrailian court that ordered parents to change the name of thier kid.

It was some insane rambling, but they still set a precedence.

LOL.

There was an Austrailian court that ordered parents to change the name of thier kid.

Australia is known for taking aborogine kids away from their parents and renaming them Western names, so thats not surprising.

Australia is known for taking aborogine kids away from their parents and renaming them Western names, so thats not surprising.

germany also has strict laws concerning appropriate names.

could you hypothetically name your kid "vagina" or "asshole" in the USA? are there zero restrictions?

could you hypothetically name your kid "vagina" or "asshole" in the USA? are there zero restrictions?

To be honest I'm not sure of the restrictions, even though I did meet a girl named Placenta.

In my day, you couldn't get a kid baptised if he wasn't named after a saint, High Gravity. So you approve of "Tiffany" and "Porsche"?

That requirement is still there, but people get around it by using a middle name of a saint.

and if you are hispanic you can get away with Jesus.

I think we need more Salvatores in this world, 99% of the guys named Sal I have met are awsome.

My middle name is Francis. Needless to say I mentioned it once as a kid then never again until I was an adult.

lighten up

ZERO

Not even copy right laws apply.

Forum List

Back