Zone1 Pope says Catholics who may disagree with him is backward

So you can interpret that being gay is not a sin? lolz
Some people interpret the Bible as saying being gay is a sin, some people interpret the Bible as being silent on someone being gay. Some interpret the Bible as saying women should be subserviant to men, others say the Bible says women are equal to men. It is that way on so many issues.

Some people interpret the Bible as saying being gay is a sin, some people interpret the Bible as being silent on someone being gay. Some interpret the Bible as saying women should be subserviant to men, others say the Bible says women are equal to men. It is that way on so many issues.
And they are wrong.
The bible clearly states homosexuality is a sin.
It also clearly states women are subservient to men.
Some people cant accept the truth. Apparently you cant, either.

And they are wrong.
The bible clearly states homosexuality is a sin.
Some people cant accept the truth. Apparently you cant, either.
Many good Christians disagree with you. We all have to live our lives as best we can and we will find out on judgement day who is right and who is wrong. Are you married? If so is your wife subserviant to you. Are all women subserviant to you? Are those who are not commiting a sin?

Many good Christians disagree with you. We all have to live our lives as best we can and we will find out on judgement day who is right and who is wrong. Are you married? If so is your wife subserviant to you. Are all women subserviant to you? Are those who are not commiting a sin?
Then they are illiterate.
I dont expect women to be subservient to me. I dont believe words written by desert savages thousands of years ago. Nor do i adhere to them.
However, that doesnt change what their holy book actually says.

What passage are you thinking of? Genesis 2:18 has God saying He will make a helper suitable for Adam.

Hebrew etymology: The Hebrew word for "helper" is not the same word that is used to describe a servant or slave. It is the same word that describes God: God is my help and my salvation--in other words, someone stronger or more able.

What passage are you thinking of? Genesis 2:18 has God saying He will make a helper suitable for Adam.

Hebrew etymology: The Hebrew word for "helper" is not the same word that is used to describe a servant or slave. It is the same word that describes God: God is my help and my salvation--in other words, someone stronger or more able.

1 Peter 3:7

Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

1 Timothy 2:11-15

Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.

Ephesians 5:22-24

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35

The women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.

Ephesians 5:22

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord.

TNHarley - How does any of this make a wife "subservient" which is a word that didn't come into being until the 1600s. The Biblical word has a different nuance. It means to get under to lift up, or to put in order. Basically, wives, lift up your husbands, put them in order. That is a far cry from the medieval "subservient".

As for Peter's use of the word weak: I am not a weak person, but one who has four brothers. Sure, I carried them all when they were younger, but guess what, by the time they were teens they had much greater upper body strength than I. A statement of fact denigrates no one.

TNHarley - How does any of this make a wife "subservient" which is a word that didn't come into being until the 1600s. The Biblical word has a different nuance. It means to get under to lift up, or to put in order. Basically, wives, lift up your husbands, put them in order. That is a far cry from the medieval "subservient".

As for Peter's use of the word weak: I am not a weak person, but one who has four brothers. Sure, I carried them all when they were younger, but guess what, by the time they were teens they had much greater upper body strength than I. A statement of fact denigrates no one.
Wives submit to your husbands. Ummm lol

1 Peter 3:7

Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

1 Timothy 2:11-15

Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.

Ephesians 5:22-24

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35

The women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.

Ephesians 5:22

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord.
Within the confines of marriage the male is the head of the family. You can't have two chiefs running a tribe.

However, this is used by those who bash the Bible as meaning women need to be subservient to men at all times as men are allowed to treat women any way they please, including abusing them. That is a lie.

The Bible was cutting edge in terms of empowering women in the ancient world, a world dominated by men.

1. A woman called Deborah was a judge in Israel who led the Hebrew people in a war to free them. She led 10,000 men into battel against Sisera and won in Judge 4:7
2. Miriam was the sister of Moses who was a prophetess and one of the few leaders other than Moses among the Hebrew people.

3. The book of Esther credits a woman who single handedly saved the entire Jewish nation while held in Babylon.

4. The book of Ruth is about the love two women had for each other.

5. No other women is revered more than Mary in any religion that I know of. Joseph, the father, is barely mentioned.

And Paul mentions that there is neither male nor female in the sight of God.

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Now compare this to Islam where women have zero rights and are essentially second-class citizens.

Marriage was a way to protect women in ancient times, really the best way to give them power within society.

Christianity has evolved since the time Jesus lived. Why should it ever stop evolving. I agree with the Pope.
Common man does not determine who will go to heaven. Only God does.
Christianity doesn't evolve. You're either with Jesus or opposed to His teachings

Wives submit to your husbands. Ummm lol
That is the English translation and it misses the point. Wives, don't tear down your husbands would probably be more accurate in today's parlance. Or, Wives, be supportive of your husbands.

I became fascinated by family genealogy at age ten. It was a hobby of my grandparents and I loved joining in. Grandmothers raising families along with a small business on the side to add to the family income. Yes, there was the traditional "egg money", but also broom-making, canning, candle and soap making, etc. They were trustees of estates. As a pregnant widow, one took over running the family farm. One traveled overseas on their own and back several times because she was a trustee of property in Europe as well. Heck, one traveled through the American wilderness on her own as well.

Imagine opening a history book in high school and being informed women did none of those things. I don't know about the women in your family, but I haven't a doubt the women ancestors in my own family would have returned to slap me upside the head if I ever fell for the nonsense that women were poor, trod-upon, subservient creatures without a penny of their own to her name. My grandmother was the one who paid the down payment on Grandpa's business.

This generation should have enough shame heaping victim-hood upon themselves without dishing it out to their ancestors as well. Let's all grow up.

Christianity doesn't evolve. You're either with Jesus or opposed to His teachings
God is much more loving and kind than that. We are all God’s children. In my opinion, imperfect humans misinterpret Gods will. Actions and what is in your soul and heart is what God judges the most. Jesus is God, God is Jesus. If you are with God you are with Jesus.

Forum List

Back