Zone1 The Pope slams American Catholics as backward

But knowing the Bible is not much of a Catholic church thing from what I have ascertained. It is akin to Catholics of old not having a Bible or even knowing how to read as they lap up everything the Pope tells them as gospel, like buying your way out of Purgatory so they can finance their lavish Vatican palace.
The Bible is very much a Catholic "thing". Always has been. Catholics who attend Sunday Mass read through the Bible every three years. Those who attend daily Mass read through the Bible every year. In addition there are plenty of Bible Study opportunities, because Catholics now--as back before the printing press--believed study of scripture required someone with Bible education to lead the study.

For Catholics, none of this, "Each person can decide for him/herself what it means." People deciding for themselves what something meant is how some Christians, around 1830, picked up the idea of "Rapture" and people disappearing off the face of the earth. A decent education of the Bible would have prevented that--and should prevent it today.

Catholics are much better educated about the Bible than most other denominations.

What kind of demon says Gods word changes over time? What kind of demon says God is wrong and woke agendas are best?
It is not the Word of God that changes over time, it words that change over time. Meanings change and how words are used change. A great example is the word 'girl'.

I do not know the context of when the Pope said this. It is doubtful he meant the Word of God changes, but if he was speaking of definitions of words then as compared to the modern definitions today, he could easily have a point. I would want him to specify what word(s) he had in mind, whether they were Italian, English, etc.

It is not the Word of God that changes over time, it words that change over time. Meanings change and how words are used change. A great example is the word 'girl'.

I do not know the context of when the Pope said this. It is doubtful he meant the Word of God changes, but if he was speaking of definitions of words then as compared to the modern definitions today, he could easily have a point. I would want him to specify what word(s) he had in mind, whether they were Italian, English, etc.
Then read the OP.
And no, words do not change. A homo is a homo and sin is sin.

No, people within the Catholic Church do not worship the Pope. We don't even know the Pope, and the idea Catholics worship him is nonsense and pure ignorance. Who gave you that idea?

One cannot--and never could--buy their way out of purgatory. Let's start with discussing the Sacrament of Confession. The sin is forgiven. Also required are reparations for the damage a sin may have caused. For example, say a thief confesses to stealing a large amount of money. That is a sin, and it can be forgiven. However, the Church also teaches that part of the penance is to pay back the money that was stolen (reparation). In other words, one cannot steal a million dollars, be forgiven the sin, but divine justice requires paying back that which was stolen.

Indulgences are a means of reparation. For example, suppose a lie that was told ruined a person's reputation and reduced opportunities for employment or opportunities for their children. Divine justice requires reparation in one form or another, even when money is not involved.

While the Church kept a very close eye on who could grant indulgences, but what happened? First, a person who had no authority to grant an indulgence said they did. Second, instead of more spiritual or physical practices which could also meet the requirements of reparation, money was substituted, and that money was used for other reasons.
I am not implying that all Catholics worship the Pope. What I am saying is that I think many put the Pope ahead of God in terms of what to follow. If the Pope deviates from God and his teachings, like many have done in the past, you should not follow.

There is always a Jim Jones somewhere out there ready to devour a flock.

I am not implying that all Catholics worship the Pope. What I am saying is that I think many put the Pope ahead of God in terms of what to follow. If the Pope deviates from God and his teachings, like many have done in the past, you should not follow.

There is always a Jim Jones somewhere out there ready to devour a flock.
They think this is the only guy with a bat phone to God.

Not at all what Catholics think.
#3 – He is the Vicar of Christ

“Vicar” means “representative.” Although Jesus Christ is the “head of the Church” (Ephesians 5:23), Jesus appointed St. Peter and his successors to lead the Church in his name.

The Pope has just come out and proclaimed that American Catholics are backward in relation to their opposition to such things as abortion and sex and gender. He says that their ideology has replaced their faith and also says that American Catholics that have attacked him in the past, says it was an honor to be their object of scorn.

Perhaps this is why the Catholic church has not come down hard on pedophile priests within the church. We are confronted about every day regarding a pedophile abusing a child in the news, so perhaps those that oppose such behavior are now backward and not going along with the common morals of our time. In fact, in ancient Sparta and Greece, all men took on under aged boy lovers.

I think the Catholic church at least should come out and redefine such things as abortion as not being murder. That is the least they could do, unless, being opposed to murder is now backward. Then again, with people dancing in the streets all over the world in celebration of Hamas slaughtering Jews, perhaps it is now hip to murder.

I dunno, only the Pope has such moral clarity, so ask him.

I find Protestants disingenuous when they criticize the pope, as they rightly should, and yet still attack Catholics for being "backward" or whatever you Protestants may want to call it. In other words, why is it that no Protestant I ever talk to or listen to, on forums or ANYWHERE else ever gives credit to the Catholics who ARE practicing true Christianity, and there likely are far more of those than the Francis-Catholics, as it were?

No, a lot of them just attack the pope and act like all Catholics are just like him, no matter how much Catholics say otherwise (practice otherwise). I'm not saying you are implying that, but the thought did occur to me.

Most American Catholics don't like the Pope getting involved in politics.
I would not care if he got involved in "politics" if he were on the side of the TRUE Catholic religion (as are most Republicans).

Francis obviously is NOT.

And he has very thin skin... demoting the priest from Tyler, TX just because he was critical of him.

Any grown ups in the room?

:rolleyes:

I am not Catholic, never have been.

Why do you say I did such things?

The Catholic church used to teach people could buy their way out of Purgatory for Christ's sake.

They have a long list of heretical teachings.

It appears that according to the Pope, all one has to do in order to be saved is become a Leftist.
The CC did not teach you could buy your way out of Purgatory. That is a myth probably started by the arch heretic Luther. Yes there were crooked clergy who may have promised the people such, but there will always be bad Christians! OMG OMG OMG!

horrors!

Of course there are NO bad Christians in the Protestant "churches"... so we can be thankful for that

:)

The Pope says building walls is hateful. Is building walls hateful?
Most Catholics voted for Trump, I have heard. Plenty didn't, but I don't call those ones true Catholics or Christian of any kind.

The pope is NOT Catholic. So maybe you should focus on someone who IS?

I mean, that guy is LOST. You will never learn anything from him except

how NOT to live your life.

Forum List

Back