Poor Dumb Bastard Cop

toobfreak

Tungsten/Glass Member
Apr 29, 2017
On The Way Home To Earth
Is it any wonder police are getting a worse and worse rap these days? A guy goes out and eats a Krispy Kream doughnut, a few crumbs of the sugar glazing fall on his car floor, somehow he ends up in a police stop and gets arrested on drug charges, the police identify the doughnut glazing flakes as crystal methamphetamine, he gets arrested and taken to jail on possession of illegal drugs, and gets a rap sheet that nearly ruins his life! You can't make this shit up!!!

Florida man arrested after police mistook Krispy Kreme glaze for meth receives $37,500

Is it any wonder police are getting a worse and worse rap these days? A guy goes out and eats a Krispy Kream doughnut, a few crumbs of the sugar glazing fall on his car floor, somehow he ends up in a police stop and gets arrested on drug charges, the police identify the doughnut glazing flakes as crystal methamphetamine, he gets arrested and taken to jail on possession of illegal drugs, and gets a rap sheet that nearly ruins his life! You can't make this shit up!!!

Florida man arrested after police mistook Krispy Kreme glaze for meth receives $37,500

"Rushing, a retiree from the Orlando Parks Departments, received a check for $37,500 last week and told the Sentinel he’s pleased with the outcome of his case"

So all is good.....people are human...even cops believe it or not...

The drug kit said it was meth. A state crime lab later determined otherwise. I don't blame the cop, who was doing her job, although she did receive a written reprimand. She's not a chemist and if the test kit confirms meth, how is she at fault?

Well, police aren't the average person. Police are trained to get it right. The average person doesn't have the power to arrest you, kill you or ruin your life, and the lady cop received a written reprimand for the improper use of the field kit, so it's not like you can blame it on the kit. Why were these police looking at the guy's floor in the first place? Do doubts that sugar crumbs on the floor might possibly be something else justify an arrest? Guilty until proven innocent? When in any doubt just arrest? Are doughnut and sugar eaters everywhere now in danger? What if the guy had made a "sudden" move and been shot to death over this? In a court of law, any doubt always works in the accused favor; have we changed that now? They could have taken the crumbs, gotten his name and address, tested the crystals at a proper lab, then if they indeed turned out meth, THEN go look him up!

And here's a crazy thought: they could have TASTED one of the flakes! Sugar tastes SWEET! Meth tastes BITTER. Sugar SMELLS SWEET. Meth smells ACRID.

I know enough chemistry to know that a drug kit does not accidentally test positive on simple sugar crystals mistaking them for Meth! This lady either used the test improperly, didn't know how to use it, or deliberately fudged the test somehow to MAKE a positive outcome so she could justify taking him in. That the guy said he was "pleased with the outcome" doesn't mean he was happy about it, and it certainly doesn't justify it------ ask the guy if he would be arrested again and go through all of that with possible ruination of his business career just for a lousy $37,000 and I guarantee you he would say no! What he probably meant was that he was just pleased to be out of jail, have his record cleared and be free again.

Out of that $37 K comes all the legal costs and many other things; frankly, I wouldn't be happy at all just getting that amount! Had the same thing happened to a movie star or someone else, the settlement would have been in the millions. Frankly I'm appalled that anyone could dismiss this as a simple mistake that worked out after all so no harm done! So what is the new policy? Man scratches nose, cop mistakes it for him going for a gun and shoots man in face? Oops! My Mistake?

Last edited:
he gets arrested and taken to jail on possession of illegal drugs, and gets a rap sheet that nearly ruins his life

Getting arrested doesn't get on your 'rap sheet' ... getting convicted does. It's not the officers job to determine what the substance is, a private lab any substance and prepares a report for the prosecutor's office.

If the substance wasn't identified as a DOD, it will never go to trial. No conviction, no 'rap sheet'.

they could have TASTED one of the flakes!

NEVER taste anything you take off a suspect. It looks cool in the movies but it could kill you. I don't even take food people offer me on duty.

Well, police aren't the average person. Police are trained to get it right. The average person doesn't have the power to arrest you, kill you or ruin your life, and the lady cop received a written reprimand for the improper use of the field kit, so it's not like you can blame it on the kit. Why were these police looking at the guy's floor in the first place? Do doubts that sugar crumbs on the floor might possibly be something else justify an arrest? Guilty until proven innocent? When in any doubt just arrest? Are doughnut and sugar eaters everywhere now in danger? What if the guy had made a "sudden" move and been shot to death over this? In a court of law, any doubt always works in the accused favor; have we changed that now? They could have taken the crumbs, gotten his name and address, tested the crystals at a proper lab, then if they indeed turned out meth, THEN go look him up!

And here's a crazy thought: they could have TASTED one of the flakes! Sugar tastes SWEET! Meth tastes BITTER. Sugar SMELLS SWEET. Meth smells ACRID.

I know enough chemistry to know that a drug kit does not accidentally test positive on simple sugar crystals mistaking them for Meth! This lady either used the test improperly, didn't know how to use it, or deliberately fudged the test somehow to MAKE a positive outcome so she could justify taking him in. That the guy said he was "pleased with the outcome" doesn't mean he was happy about it, and it certainly doesn't justify it------ ask the guy if he would be arrested again and go through all of that with possible ruination of his business career just for a lousy $37,000 and I guarantee you he would say no! What he probably meant was that he was just pleased to be out of jail, have his record cleared and be free again.

Out of that $37 K comes all the legal costs and many other things; frankly, I wouldn't be happy at all just getting that amount! Had the same thing happened to a movie star or someone else, the settlement would have been in the millions. Frankly I'm appalled that anyone could dismiss this as a simple mistake that worked out after all so no harm done! So what is the new policy? Man scratches nose, cop mistakes it for him going for a gun and shoots man in face? Oops! My Mistake?

You idiot. The cop is not a forensics expert. They don't get paid to determine out in the field what a substance is. That's why you have a lab!!:deal: :eusa_dance::eusa_dance: duh

he gets arrested and taken to jail on possession of illegal drugs, and gets a rap sheet that nearly ruins his life

Getting arrested doesn't get on your 'rap sheet' ... getting convicted does. It's not the officers job to determine what the substance is, a private lab any substance and prepares a report for the prosecutor's office.

If the substance wasn't identified as a DOD, it will never go to trial. No conviction, no 'rap sheet'.

That's not true. Getting arrested earns you a PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER. The only way to remove that is to get a Finding of Factual Innocence. In this case it was no doubt a part of the settlement.

Getting arrested earns you a PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER

Everyone who gets arrested gets a PIN. Every victim of a crime gets a PIN. Everyone who reports a crime gets a PIN. Anyone who is a questioned by police gets a PIN. A PIN is not a 'rap sheet' which is a list of prior charges that have gone to trial or been dismissed.

A PIN, also known as an MNI, only indicates you've had prior dealings with the police in any capacity.

Having a PIN in no way adversely impacts your life.

That's not true. Getting arrested earns you a PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION NUMBER. The only way to remove that is to get a Finding of Factual Innocence. In this case it was no doubt a part of the settlement.

See above.

The drug kit said it was meth. A state crime lab later determined otherwise. I don't blame the cop, who was doing her job, although she did receive a written reprimand. She's not a chemist and if the test kit confirms meth, how is she at fault?
Amen to this!

God bless you and the cop and the arrested guy always!!!

Holly

P.S. If the man was really given $37,500 to make up for the screw up, I don't believe that he has much reason to do any complaining anymore.

Only a fucking IDIOT like YOU would suggest that the cops 'test' for possible drugs by tasting them!
How old are you?????? Like twelve?
The man detained NOT ARRESTED! had a pages long 'rap sheet'!

Everyone who gets arrested gets a PIN. Every victim of a crime gets a PIN. Everyone who reports a crime gets a PIN. Anyone who is a questioned by police gets a PIN. A PIN is not a 'rap sheet' which is a list of prior charges that have gone to trial or been dismissed.

A PIN, also known as an MNI, only indicates you've had prior dealings with the police in any capacity.

There are many forms that ask you if you've ever been arrested, if you have been, and you do not disclose that fact, you are committing perjury, so yes, there IS an impact. Many government agency's I worked with required no arrest record of any kind, for any reason.

There are many forms that ask you if you've ever been arrested, if you have been, and you do not disclose that fact, you are committing perjury, so yes, there IS an impact. Many government agency's I worked with required no arrest record of any kind, for any reason.

You can have any arrest that did not result in a felony conviction removed from your record (in most states). However, you will still have a police identifier number. The PIN is merely a unique ID that is used on the identity database and is not indicative of any criminal history.

It doesn't take a rap sheet. His arrest was already part of the public record and potential clients were dropping him because of it. After all, he was in the process of starting a security company. With the internet today, it doesn't take much to ruin your reputation. Look at how they have people's faces splashed all over the TV filming their arrest and saying they were accused of something, or alleged to have done something. That is all people remember. You seldom hear of their acquittal and once people get a negative impression, it tends to stick. People often figure that you must have been up to SOMETHING to get in trouble.

And again, if it's not the officer's job to determine what something is, then why issue them a drug kit? I've seen some dirty cars and if a few flakes of icing can get you arrested on drug charges, then we are all in trouble. It is a ridiculous situation and that officer should have apologized to the guy. If she thought the flakes might be suspicious, take them and get them tested! She knew who the guy was and where he lived--- was he a flight risk? I fear we are moving very quickly into a police state; just imagine watching Andy Griffith and his seeing a few food crumbs in the floor of a car and busting the guy for drugs! THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE of any drugs there! Just one very stupid person who does not recognize sugar, perhaps the most common food stuff on the planet.

I'd be the first to support police, but I cannot defend this. Anymore the news is RIFE almost every week of young cops being over-zealous and over-reacting. I know the world is crazier these days, but PEOPLE HAVE RIGHTS. Whatever happened to civility? If this trend continues, soon it will be SOP that at any simple traffic stop for maybe a burned out taillight to just pull the people out, throw them on the ground, put a knee on their neck and handcuff them, then throw them in the backseat while they run the license and search his car top to bottom for any evidence of something to charge him with.

Much like politics, the attitude seems to be drifting away from "Innocent till proven guilty," towards, "I know this dude is guilty of SOMETHING, we just have to keep looking until we find it!" And I'm sorry to say that I see this beginning RIGHT AT THE TOP with Jeff Sessions. I hope I am wrong. Enforce the law, get the bad guys, but don't turn us into a police state.

Last edited:
they could have TASTED one of the flakes!

NEVER taste anything you take off a suspect. It looks cool in the movies but it could kill you. I don't even take food people offer me on duty.

Just what did this guy do to be a "suspect?" These were a few crumbs on the floor. It was SUGAR. I bet you can tell sugar from meth just by looking at it under a magnifying glass! And these were tiny flakes. It takes VERY LITTLE to recognize the taste of sugar. Until the modern age of stupidity, tasting was the most common, most frequently used method of identifying substances. You taste then spit it out. I can't think of too many substances other than weaponized agents which could be toxic in those minute quantities! Was this guy an agent from ISIS or N. Korea? And here's a thought, the pH of sugar is neutral, right around 7.0. The pH of meth is acidic, usually between 5.5 and 3.0! If you can't taste that difference with your tongue (and you definitely would), you definitely could with a simple POOL WATER TEST KIT.

Sugar is sweet, meth is an alkaloid! I bet you can taste their difference with one grain of each. Even Strychnine isn't poisonous in such small quantity. There is no defense of this arrest. It was plain stupid and reckless. It is disturbing. If you say you are afraid to even take food off your fellow coworkers, that sounds like a real trust issue!!!

Forum List

Back