Poor Dumb Bastard Cop

Has America become a country anxious to criminalize everyone for the slightest of reasons, on the slightest of evidence?

Your anger with the police is misplaced. If you're unhappy that recreational drugs in small quantities are illegal and subject to criminal punishments then the person you should be unhappy with is your elected representatives in your state and in Washington.

Politicians from both sides of the house who, unable to learn the lessons of alcohol prohibition, chose to make recreational drugs a criminal offense.

As long as drugs are illegal, cops are obligated to arrest for possessing them.

I'm not angry with the police. If you've read my posts, I'm usually one of their biggest supporters! But I support them because they are usually on the right side of things, not just because they are the police. With great power comes great responsibility. I'm angry with the one cop that couldn't tell simple sugar from a drug, and I'm unhappy with the process. And of course I'm VERY unhappy with the aforementioned jackass politicians who NEVER get it right. Bottom line is that going into this, if Meth is that hard to tell empirically from common sugar by simple examination, then it should have been obvious to all from the start and a reliable means found to solve that. If these tests are that unreliable or the police there that poorly trained, that should have been known and solved from the start. Like I've said, this was not a recreational drug, it was doughnut powder and the officer at the scene has received a written reprimand, but the police somewhere failed in their responsibility and I guarantee you that if I had some doughnut glaze and some crystal meth in front of me, I could tell them apart by any of about four different empirical tests and I could show you, and the fact that these police could not, never looked at meth in training and wondered: "How will I know that from sugar?" Never bothered to learn to tell them apart by any other means than a "drug test" (as already stated, you could tell them apart with a simple pool water pH test), and that BOTH attending officers either couldn't use their field test properly or that the whole thing was no damn good, is the problem. The REAL problem is that no one gives enough of a damn about these things to get them right in the first place, everyone just "does their job" and leaves it to someone else, and in the end, innocent people end up suffering! And all of this just adds to the bad press that the police already don't need any more of.

Has America become a country anxious to criminalize everyone for the slightest of reasons, on the slightest of evidence?

Your anger with the police is misplaced. If you're unhappy that recreational drugs in small quantities are illegal and subject to criminal punishments then the person you should be unhappy with is your elected representatives in your state and in Washington.

Politicians from both sides of the house who, unable to learn the lessons of alcohol prohibition, chose to make recreational drugs a criminal offense.

I'm not angry with the police. If you've read my posts, I'm usually one of their biggest supporters! But I support them because they are usually on the right side of things, not just because they are the police. With great power comes great responsibility. I'm angry with the one cop that couldn't tell simple sugar from a drug, and I'm unhappy with the process. And of course I'm VERY unhappy with the aforementioned jackass politicians who NEVER get it right. Bottom line is that going into this, if Meth is that hard to tell empirically from common sugar by simple examination, then it should have been obvious to all from the start and a reliable means found to solve that. If these tests are that unreliable or the police there that poorly trained, that should have been known and solved from the start. Like I've said, this was not a recreational drug, it was doughnut powder and the officer at the scene has received a written reprimand, but the police somewhere failed in their responsibility and I guarantee you that if I had some doughnut glaze and some crystal meth in front of me, I could tell them apart by any of about four different empirical tests and I could show you, and the fact that these police could not, never looked at meth in training and wondered: "How will I know that from sugar?" Never bothered to learn to tell them apart by any other means than a "drug test" (as already stated, you could tell them apart with a simple pool water pH test), and that BOTH attending officers either couldn't use their field test properly or that the whole thing was no damn good, is the problem. The REAL problem is that no one gives enough of a damn about these things to get them right in the first place, everyone just "does their job" and leaves it to someone else, and in the end, innocent people end up suffering! And all of this just adds to the bad press that the police already don't need any more of.
US LEO have interactions with tens of thousands of people a DAY!!!!!
Yes sometimes a LEO 'gets it wrong'.
99.999% of the time they get it right.
Not every LEO is flawless and perfectly trained........as you appear to be demanding.
You appear to have a serious 'issue' with LE.
Do you ALWAYS make the right decisions? Have you ever 'fucked up'?
Or are you 'perfect'?

Not every LEO is flawless and perfectly trained........as you appear to be demanding.
Or are you 'perfect'?

Bullshit defense. Quit evading the problem.

What happens when you have sugar in the car for your coffee and spill some and cops find it or have drywall like this guy?

Man Jailed for 90 Days After Police Thought Drywall in His Car Was Cocaine

I'm not sure I see your problem. Surely you're not suggesting a PATTERN. Police are just humans and people make mistakes. Police aren't forensic experts, they are just doing their job! :rolleyes:
Lessee, it was just a bad day and the officer's wife had been bitching at him all morning? :happy-1:

To be fair, this is why you should stay out of trouble. The guy was on probation for smoking a weed that grows alongside the road and which is SOLD publicly in other states! That debate aside, this was another case in Florida! But yeah, its pretty hard to dismiss this as an accident. The guy had a rap sheet for drugs, was on parole and it appears that they weren't giving this guy any leeway. Me, I am more fair than that. If the guy is clean, I'm not going to give him a bum steer, he made a mistake and hopefully he won't again. I don't WANT to drag or force people down into a system of crime, and yes, I CAN tell the difference between drywall powder and coke! Frankly, there is no mistaking the two, so again, what are we left to believe, that the guy deserved to be locked up for 90 days because he had a previous record of drug use? That the cops were just being dicks? Maybe they knew each other and there was bad blood between them and they were just getting even?

As a professional, that shouldn't happen. I have to believe the guy is telling the truth and had he been someone else, they never would have accused him of drug use and taken him to jail. Much less keep him there a month after the lab work came back. And I'm especially suspicious that again, they tested drywall and it came back positive for cocaine?

BULLSHIT. No Way.

This is just plain WRONG, and just reinforces the evidence that at least some of the bad press the police have gotten is deserved, and since the guy was black, maybe part of it was racial. This stuff just shouldn't happen.

Getting back to my own case, I looked up three pictures of sugar under magnification, about 10X I'd say, which is easily attainable in a small triplet hand magnifier. Now, I do have some experience in chemistry and in related forensics, but this is not rocket science. Sugar displays a cubic lattice structure from its valance bonds as seen in these pictures:

9007281_orig.jpg

stock-photo-56922888.jpg

Borax8c.jpg

Put simply, the crystal lattice of sugar molecules builds a shape kind of like an Emerald. Now here are three pictures of crystal meth under similar magnification:

crystal-meth-1.jpg

Crystal-Meth.jpg

meth_crystal_ice.jpg

Does anyone not see the difference? Even in the last photo, which looks closest to sugar, it is plain that it is NOT sugar. It lacks the cubic lattices of sugar and the crystal structure is stratified, much like a piece of slate in layers, both giving it a stair-step structure as well as being flat rather than boxy.

This is not rocket science and none of this should be beyond the patrol officer. If I can determine this with a simple hand magnifier and pool water test kit, then the police can too. It doesn't take a lab three weeks to do a test, a positive identity can be made in 5 minutes. And it doesn't take a degree in chemistry, lab work or forensics. Much easier than hauling someone in and booking them, unless they just want to get off the street for a while or are looking to fill a quota. Time dissolves mountains and pressure is only going to increasingly force NFL players to do their jobs, increasingly force Washington politicians to do THEIR jobs, and yes, increasingly force some police departments to clean up their acts.

Last edited:
So ... Are any of you surprised Krispy Kreme uses crystal meth in their donut glaze ... :dunno:

The sad part is crystal meth is healthier for you than the damn donut.

Or are you 'perfect'?

Oh they get it wrong far FAR more often than that.

A Record Number Of People Were Exonerated In 2015 For Crimes They Didn’t Commit | HuffPost

The problem is, when a cop gets it wrong, there are severe consequences for an innocent person. When a mechanic gets it wrong, you bring him the car back and say fix it. When a cop gets it wrong, you end up with an innocent person incarcerated or worse, dead.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE why someone with arresting authority (and thus the authority to ruin someones life at the drop of a hat) not being adequately trained. ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR THIS.

LEO are not perfect, BUT THAT'S THE POINT. People need to stop acting like they are. It seems society is in either one boat or the other, either they HATE cops or they suck cops dick at every turn and think they can do no wrong. Or, like you, they dismiss any wrong doing as "well they aren't perfect." This is unacceptable. If you were locked up for months or years by mistake, would you then do your time with a smile on your face and say "Oh well, cops aren't perfect?" Fuck no, you'd be whining like the little bitch you are because you would know you were innocent.

Now you know how thousands and thousands of people feel every year. Put yourself in their shoes for once. Stop sucking cop dick.

Last edited:
After reading this story from multiple sources, it sounds as though the problem is with the test kits, or the way those kits are used. According to the manufacturer of the kits from the OP story, "the tests are presumptive aids that serve only as confirmation of probable cause and are not a substitute for laboratory testing." Florida Man Awarded $37,500 After Cops Mistake Glazed Doughnut Crumbs For Meth I'm not sure that seeing what turned out to be donut glaze when stopping someone for speeding (which I don't know that the guy was ever ticketed for) constitutes probable cause. However, if the tests show false positives for methamphetamine 21% of the time, if the tests which change color for cocaine also change color for 80 other compounds, including household cleaners, if the officers are not properly trained in the use of the test kits, if the temperature when the kits are used can have a significant affect on the outcome, perhaps their use should be looked at and adjusted.

Here's another article about these quickie drug test kits and the danger of false positives from them: Busted — ProPublica ; the article also discusses how people plea out quite often, and how police and prosecutors pressure defendants for that outcome.

Of course, there is no cut-and-dried answer to how police should act in these situations, whether the test kits should be used, or if their use should be curtailed at all, etc.. I suppose the most important question is whether one is more concerned with protecting the innocent or punishing the guilty. :dunno:

Forum List

Back