Political Quote of The Day

"You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln.

"These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference. For if we don't move at all, then their allies will line up against us and there'll be no way of stopping them, we'll lose the filibuster and there'll be no way of putting a brake on all sorts of wild legislation. It'll be Reconstruction all over again."
~Lyndon B. Johnson
:oops:

''Well, let's see. There's — of course in the great history of America there have been rulings that there's never going to be absolute consensus by every American, and there are those issues, again, like Roe v. Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So, you know, going through the history of America, there would be others but —''

—Sarah Palin, unable to name a Supreme Court decision she disagreed with other than Roe vs. Wade, interview with Katie Couric, CBS News, Oct. 1, 2008

"We've shot an amazing number of people and killed a number and, to my knowledge, none has proven to have been a real threat to the force . . . . To my knowledge, in the nine-plus months I've been here, not a single case where we have engaged in an escalation of force incident and hurt someone has it turned out that the vehicle had a suicide bomb or weapons in it and, in many cases, had families in it."

-- 4-Star General Stanley McChrystal, Commander, International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) and Commander, U.S. Forces Afghanistan

These quotes are for the 25% of Americans today who seem lost, the tea party, the birthers, the Beck/Palin crowd, the anti government crowd.

"Delusion is the child of ignorance." the Bhagavadgita
"Ignorance is the womb of monsters." Henry Ward Beecher
"Where ignorance is bliss, it is folly to be wise." Thomas Gray
"Ignorance is not bliss, it is oblivion." Philip Wylie

"The real delusion is to think that people can live flourishingly without the mutual understanding, and therefore the safety, that comes from knowledge." AC Grayling

The quotes above come from A.C. Grayling's "The Meaning of Things." Essay, 'Delusion.'

I recommend his work and essays to everyone. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Meaning-Things-Applying-Philosophy-Life/dp/0753813599/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: The Meaning of Things: Applying Philosophy to Life (9780753813591): A.C. Grayling: Books[/ame]

When you see all that rhetorical smoke billowing up from the Democrats, well ladies and gentleman, I'd follow the example of their nominee; don't inhale.

~RONALD REAGAN, speech, Aug. 17, 1992

:clap2:

These quotes are for the 25% of Americans today who seem lost, the tea party, the birthers, the Beck/Palin crowd, the anti government crowd.

"Delusion is the child of ignorance." the Bhagavadgita
"Ignorance is the womb of monsters." Henry Ward Beecher
"Where ignorance is bliss, it is folly to be wise." Thomas Gray
"Ignorance is not bliss, it is oblivion." Philip Wylie

"The real delusion is to think that people can live flourishingly without the mutual understanding, and therefore the safety, that comes from knowledge." AC Grayling

The quotes above come from A.C. Grayling's "The Meaning of Things." Essay, 'Delusion.'

I recommend his work and essays to everyone. Amazon.com: The Meaning of Things: Applying Philosophy to Life (9780753813591): A.C. Grayling: Books

It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read a book of quotations.
Winston Churchill.

Quotation. n. The act of repeating erroneously the words of another.
Ambrose Bierce.

She had a pretty gift for quotation, which is a serviceable substitute for wit.
W. Somerset Maugham

He wrapped himself in quotations, as a beggar would enfold himself in the purple of Emperors.
Rudyard Kipling

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
Joseph Roux

A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought.
Dorothy L. Sayers

Nearly All men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans charachter, give him power.
Abe Lincoln

Keep the Faith, don't lose your perseverance and always trust your gut instinct,
Paula Abdul

A dream doesn't become a reality through magic: it takes sweat, determination and hard work.
Colin Powell

The small act of paying attention can take you a long way.
Keanu Reeves

Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality that guarantees the others.
Aristoltle

The art of leadership is saying no, not yes. It is very easy to say yes.
Tony Blair

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done.
Louuis D. Brandeis

As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.
Andrew Carnegie

Just a few of my favorit quotes.

Last edited:
[A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought. Dorothy L. Sayers

Is any thought truly original? Think about that for a bit. "Originality is the art of concealing your sources." Benjamin Franklin

OT ====================================

I found this quote amazing and it gave me a chance to test speech recognition. Imagine this during war.

"I must admit that Roosevelt's leadership has been very effective and has been responsible for the Americans' advantageous position today. For that reason I can easily understand the great loss his passing means to the American people and my profound sympathy goes to them." Premier Admiral Kantaro Suzuki

An announcer added, "We now introduce a few minutes of special music in honor of the passing of the great man."

Last edited:
When Robert Reich was questioned by journalist Jonathan Rauch about fabrications in his Clinton administration memoirs, “Locked in the Cabinet,” he said, “it’s not investigative journalism,…I claim no higher truth than my own perceptions.” Jonathan Rauch, “Robert Reich, Quote Doctor,” Slate, May 30, 1997

There are two sets of principles. They are the principles of power and privilege and the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice

-Norman Finkelstein

[A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought. Dorothy L. Sayers

Is any thought truly original? Think about that for a bit. "Originality is the art of concealing your sources." Benjamin Franklin

OT ====================================

I found this quote amazing and it gave me a chance to test speech recognition. Imagine this during war.

"I must admit that Roosevelt's leadership has been very effective and has been responsible for the Americans' advantageous position today. For that reason I can easily understand the great loss his passing means to the American people and my profound sympathy goes to them." Premier Admiral Kantaro Suzuki

An announcer added, "We now introduce a few minutes of special music in honor of the passing of the great man."

Yes, it can be. I remember seeing a TV show with a comedian called Stephen Fry a few years ago, and he used a sentence that he could pretty much guarantee was original. I'll give you an example.

Twenty three purple birds gathered noiselessly in mid air, and proceeded to sing an aria by Puccini.

Until I wrote that, I'm willing to put money on the fact that nobody in the history of mankind had ever used those exact words in that exact order before.

A completely original thought. Completely worthless too, but original nonetheless.

"I have nothing to say and I am saying it." John Cage

Twenty three purple birds gathered noiselessly in mid air, and proceeded to sing an aria by Puccini.

That being the case our granddaughter is among the most original speakers in the universe. She would babble as long an hour sometimes. She will be brilliant like her dad. And now I will surely pay more attention to our grandson when he says, 'gah gre goo ha knee cre do ah eee." Maybe a recording will help, he looks at me with such intent there must be original meaning there? Sometimes we too listen to the birds, in Spring they sing loud and often. They too are original if meaning is excused. ;)

back on topic

"All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting. George Orwell

"I have nothing to say and I am saying it." John Cage

That being the case our granddaughter is among the most original speakers in the universe. She would babble as long an hour sometimes. She will be brilliant like her dad. And now I will surely pay more attention to our grandson when he says, 'gah gre goo ha knee cre do ah eee." Maybe a recording will help, he looks at me with such intent there must be original meaning there? Sometimes we too listen to the birds, in Spring they sing loud and often. They too are original if meaning is excused. ;)

back on topic

"All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting. George Orwell

Children are probably the most original thinkers of all, since they are not bound by logic, or convention, or history, or any of those things that regulate the thoughts of adults (well, most adults).

"The great source of both the misery and disorders of human life, seems to arise from over-rating the difference between one permanent situation and another. Avarice over-rates the difference between poverty and riches: ambition, that between a private and a public station: vain-glory, that between obscurity and extensive reputation. The person under the influence of any of those extravagant passions, is not only miserable in his actual situation, but is often disposed to disturb the peace of society, in order to arrive at that which he so foolishly admires. The slightest observation, however, might satisfy him, that, in all the ordinary situations of human life, a well-disposed mind may be equally calm, equally cheerful, and equally contented. Some of those situations may, no doubt, deserve to be preferred to others: but none of them can deserve to be pursued with that passionate ardour which drives us to violate the rules either of prudence or of justice; or to corrupt the future tranquility of our minds, either by shame from the remembrance of our own folly, or by remorse from the horror of our own injustice." Adam Smith

Forum List

Back