Political correctness

We were in the family room the other day. The 13 year old turns on Cartoon Network. The 19 year old decides to bug her and asks why she's watching such a retarded cartoon (it was, btw). The 13 year old tells her to stop using bad words. Bad words? Retarded is a bad word? I told the 13 year old it wasn't a bad word, it was a descriptive word and it was accurate in this case. wth does this 'bad word' crap come from??.......

The point of political correctness is to be polite, and not offend the feelings of others. It really is an etiquette thing. Using words like "retard," keeps them in the common usage vocabulary. I wonder what your reaction to the word "retard" would be if your 13 year old was a Down Syndrome baby? This is a concept I would like to shove up your ass with a hot poker.

downs-syndrome-boy.jpg

Last edited:
We were in the family room the other day. The 13 year old turns on Cartoon Network. The 19 year old decides to bug her and asks why she's watching such a retarded cartoon (it was, btw). The 13 year old tells her to stop using bad words. Bad words? Retarded is a bad word? I told the 13 year old it wasn't a bad word, it was a descriptive word and it was accurate in this case. wth does this 'bad word' crap come from??.......

The point of political correctness is to be polite, and not offend the feelings of others. It really is an etiquette thing. Using words like "retard," keeps them in the common usage vocabulary. I wonder what your reaction to the word "retard" would be if your 13 year old was a Down Syndrome baby? This is a concept I would like to shove up your ass with a hot poker.

downs-syndrome-boy.jpg

My 16 year old is ASD (autistic spectrum disorder) so get off your Down's Syndrome high horse shit. The cartoon was retarded, the word fit, get the fuck over your 'polite, don't offend'. Sarah Palin over-reacted to Raahhhm's 'fucking retard' snip too. I noticed you ignored this from my post "I don't go out of my way to offend but I call a spade a spade." You're an asshole. See how that works?

You want to shove a concept up my ass with a hot poker? Fuck you.

Last edited:

downs-syndrome-boy.jpg

My 16 year old is ASD (autistic spectrum disorder) so get off your Down's Syndrome high horse shit. The cartoon was retarded, the word fit, get the fuck over your 'polite, don't offend'. Sarah Palin over-reacted to Raahhhm's 'fucking retard' snip too. I noticed you ignored this from my post "I don't go out of my way to offend but I call a spade a spade." You're an asshole. See how that works?

Your 16 year old makes your remarks in even more bad taste. The child should be taken from you, because you should know better. I write a lot of political threads, and this is the first time anything has pissed me off. I'd like to wring your neck.

You have to go through me first dip shit. Who the fuck are you to foist your morals on anyone else? A fucking fundamentalist? You're an arrogant elitist pig. It's dickheads like you that are the problem with this country and I say that to almost no one so you should feel special. Whale shit is higher up the food chain then you are you God damn self righteous pussy.

downs-syndrome-boy.jpg

Your 16 year old makes your remarks in even more bad taste. The child should be taken from you, because you should know better. I write a lot of political threads, and this is the first time anything has pissed me off. I'd like to wring your neck.

I should know better??? Did I call my kid retarded? My God you are so jello-brained. The cartoon was not only retarded, it was moronic. Uh oh, are you offended even more??? Great to live in a country where you can be.

People speaking their mind without a pc filter pisses you off? :lol:

btw, guessed you missed the hypocrisy of your own words . . . . "The point of political correctness is to be polite, and not offend the feelings of others." says the boy who wants to "This is a concept I would like to shove up your ass with a hot poker."

I say political correctness is a very bad practice and it causes more problems than it "fixes". I believe the best policy is to call a spade a spade. It's truly defines it. It is well-understood by all and it cuts to the chase with no implied meanings. I challenge any of you to honestly say how political correctness has really been a help to the general population.

Look what happened when Rand Paul tried to tell the truth......

I applaud him.

I should know better??? Did I call my kid retarded? My God you are so jello-brained. The cartoon was not only retarded, it was moronic. Uh oh, are you offended even more??? Great to live in a country where you can be.

btw, guessed you missed the hypocrisy of your own words . . . . "The point of political correctness is to be polite, and not offend the feelings of others." says the boy who wants to "This is a concept I would like to shove up your ass with a hot poker."

You're assumnig he meant to be offensive. Perhaps to him that is simply an alternative form of persuasion, one to be encouraged and accepted as no better or worse than any other, just...different.

Try to be more tolerant.

Last edited:

You're assumnig he meant to be offensive. Perhaps to him that is simply an alternative form of persuasion, one to be encouraged and accepted as no better or worse than any other, just...different.

Try to be more tolerant.

If only we had been more tolerant of Native Americans, and had let women vote, then we may all get along with one another today.

I say political correctness is a very bad practice and it causes more problems than it "fixes". I believe the best policy is to call a spade a spade. It's truly defines it. It is well-understood by all and it cuts to the chase with no implied meanings. I challenge any of you to honestly say how political correctness has really been a help to the general population.

you are so right!

so from now own...let's STOP pussy footing around...

anybody who calls gays "perverts" and "deviants" is a HATEMONGER

anybody who calls liberals "LIBTURDS" is a HATEMONGER

anybody who calls democrats DEMONcRATS is a HATEMONGER

I"m sick of the conservatives who demand that we have respect for these right wing hatemongers...

lets call a spade a spade

HATE..is HATE....

you are so right!

I"m sick of the conservatives who demand that we have respect for these right wing hatemongers...

HATE..is HATE....

Cowardice is cowardice, for that is what it really is....

Try to be more tolerant.

If only we had been more tolerant of Native Americans, and had let women vote, then we may all get along with one another today.

Kumbaya.

you are so right!

HATE..is HATE....

Wow! Are you also sick of the liberals who use equally nasty hatemongering speech against those they disagree with?
Just asking Sam.

Try to be more tolerant.

An exec known as a friend to our family made the remark one day about my dad. "You know you have a better education than he did." I couldn't believe it, my dad graduated from the University of Illinois with a better GPA than I did, and is successful by any standard you would like to use. The exec explained to me that the atmosphere on campus six years ago when I went to school was more evolved than when my dad had gone to school. So, perhaps that explains the attitude of Zoom-boing.

I did learn that words can be impolite or hurt others, such as "retard." It demeans an individual who is disabled. And, repeating it just perpetuates a hurtful word in our vocabulary. In many cases people are failing contemporary litmus tests without even knowing it by repeating words like "retard." When it comes down to it, they will probably be labeled racist, and not even understand why. Racists are written off by most educated people as dinosaurs. Electorially, they are less and less significant.

When Zoom-boing acknowledges that developmental disabilities come close to his life, and he still uses the word "retard," he is advertising his ignorance. He needs to understand the old cliche that if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. This explains my attitude to tea baggers and many conservative Republicans.

Just keep them out of the way, so we can build America's future. We voted them out, and they will stay out because their political influence decreases every day as our population shifts to a new demographic.

Last edited:

Try to be more tolerant.

An exec known as a friend to our family made the remark one day about my dad. "You know you have a better education than he did." I couldn't believe it, my dad graduated from the University of Illinois with a better GPA than I did, and is successful by any standard you would like to use. The exec explained to me that the atmosphere on campus six years ago when I went to school was more evolved than when my dad had gone to school. So, perhaps that explains the attitude of Zoom-boing.

I did learn that words can be impolite or hurt others, such as "retard." It demeans an individual who is disabled. And, repeating it just perpetuates a hurtful word in our vocabulary. In many cases people are failing contemporary litmus tests without even knowing it by repeating words like "retard." When it comes down to it, they will probably be labeled racist, and not even understand why. Racists are written off by most educated people as dinosaurs. Electorially, they are less and less significant.

When Zoom-boing acknowledges that developmental disabilities come close to his life, and he still uses the word "retard," he is advertising his ignorance. He needs to understand the old cliche that if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. This explains my attitude to tea baggers and many conservative Republicans.

Just keep them out of the way, so we can build America's future. We voted them out, and they will stay out because their political influence decreases every day as our population shifts to a new demographic.

Disabled is so passe. And offensive. You mean phyisically or mentally challenged. Those are the current PC terms.

Which is a good example of why the PC language thing is self-defeating.

Years ago, the word crippled was used. That became a term of offense. So handicapped came into use, only to be found offensive in turn. Next up was disabled, now challenged.

The underlying condition has always been the same. Any descriptor will evenutally take on an uncomfortable connotation and a new term will be coined.

Try to be more tolerant.

Disabled is so passe. And offensive. You mean phyisically or mentally challenged. Those are the current PC terms.

Years ago, the word crippled was used. That became a term of offense. So handicapped came into use, only to be found offensive in turn. Next up was disabled, now challenged.

The underlying condition has always been the same. Any descriptor will evenutally take on an uncomfortable connotation and a new term will be coined.

That's so lame.

lame
1   /leɪm/ Show Spelled [leym] Show IPA adjective,lam·er, lam·est, verb,lamed, lam·ing, noun
–adjective
crippled or physically disabled, esp. in the foot or leg so as to limp or walk with difficulty.
impaired or disabled through defect or injury: a lame arm.
weak; inadequate; unsatisfactory; clumsy: a lame excuse.
Slang. out of touch with modern fads or trends; unsophisticated.
–verb (used with object)
to make lame or defective.
–noun
Slang. a person who is out of touch with modern fads or trends, esp. one who is unsophisticated.

Last edited:

That's so lame.

lame
1   /leɪm/ Show Spelled [leym] Show IPA adjective,lam·er, lam·est, verb,lamed, lam·ing, noun
–adjective
crippled or physically disabled, esp. in the foot or leg so as to limp or walk with difficulty.
–verb (used with object)
–noun
Slang. a person who is out of touch with modern fads or trends, esp. one who is unsophisticated.

The words don't vanish from the language, they simply become unacceptable. (There's another one. Unacceptable.)

I wonder if lexicographers get pressure to keep certain words out of dictionaries for PC reasons.

Try to be more tolerant.

You are extremely thinned skinned; I suggest you remedy that.

Did you even bother to read any other part of my previous posts? Obviously not.

You ramble on about pc yet continue - despite repeated posts/threads on this - to call tea partiers 'teabaggers', knowing full well that the term is offensive. Oh but it's ok that you do it, cause your excuse is that 'they started it'. Give me a break. You're pc when it suits you and full of shit when it doesn't.

Look what happened when Rand Paul tried to tell the truth......

I applaud him.

----------------------------------------

"It is interesting that those so distraught over Rand Paul’s philosophical ramblings have failed to point out the hypocrisy on the part of Progressives.

"The new left is appalled--appalled!--that Paul might suggest that in a free market society that supports private property rights, a business owner has the right to decide with whom he will or will not do business. However, leftists are remarkably silent—even supportive of—community activists urging their black neighbors to “buy black;” Jewish and Islamic merchants who only buy from Jewish and Islamic venders; universities with segregated dormitories and graduation ceremonies; racial preferences in college admissions, or racially gerrymandered electoral districts.

The truth is that Paul’s argument has more merit than the mushy multi-culturalism preached on the left. In a free market, private business owners should have the right to do business with whomever they want. Freedom requires that we tolerate boorish, unpleasant, or even racist attitudes and speech."

Joseph C. Phillips : The Error of Rand Paul - Townhall.com

That's so lame.

lame
–adjective
–verb (used with object)
–noun

The words don't vanish from the language, they simply become unacceptable. (There's another one. Unacceptable.)

I wonder if lexicographers get pressure to keep certain words out of dictionaries for PC reasons.

I have no idea. It could be a fun Conspiracy Forum thread.

What bothers me about PC is not so much that certain words have changed from descriptors into slurs, and/or slurs into cavalier slang. Language is always changing, maybe not evolving, but definitely changing.

What bothers me more is the race-related EOE segment on application forms and the like. There's an implied intention of equality by watering-down the terms, but there really isn't equality in the terms. If there were, White would be European-American (I've seen Caucasian-American, but then to be equal African-American would have to change to Negro-American; both being based on the anthropological Caucasoid and Negroid. Asia-American would be Mongol-American).

But hyphenating by continents muddies the distinction between race and ethnicity even more; an immigrant from Egypt could be an example: African-American with Arabic ethnicity. That person would have to check the "Other" box. Yeah, real egalitarianism there.

I wish the EOE and race/ethnicity-related questions would just get scrapped wholesale. They're usually not mandatory, but what's the point of having them to begin with? Is it to provide politicians with the data for some really cynical gerrymandering, and for employers to fill an arbitrary quota for tax purposes, or whatever? It seems ridiculous on its face.

Forum List

Back