Police can legally use 23andMe, other ancestry tools to obtain your DNA

There has already been cases solved by the use of familial DNA to pinpoint suspects. I think it's a good idea. I'm all for more surveillance cameras too.

But then, I'm not a criminal.

There has already been cases solved by the use of familial DNA to pinpoint suspects. I think it's a good idea. I'm all for more surveillance cameras too.

I'm not a criminal either but feel my DNA should be protected.

I agree that it is not a cut-and-dried decision to use partial matches from the criminal (or other) DNA databases. It did take at least one serial killer off the streets after decades of murders though.

oh Nooos TNHarley what kind of bullshit is this eh?

When you give a genetic testing company your DNA to learn more about your ancestral history, you could also be handing it over to law enforcement.

I know right? I already have plans to delete our accounts after I get back results.
Thanks drifter!

You'll still be in a database, though.

DNA from crime scenes has also helped in steering law enforcement towards the right subpopulation of possible suspects.

When you give a genetic testing company your DNA to learn more about your ancestral history, you could also be handing it over to law enforcement.

I know right? I already have plans to delete our accounts after I get back results.
Thanks drifter!

You'll still be in a database, though.

I know there is nothing I can do about it now. :dunno:

Mine's easy. Haha.

Delaware.jpg

Even so, they can still take the DNA from someone in your 'group'. You have to have a warrant to obtain it. Chain of custody is very problematic and creates a legal issue. It isn't as useful as people are currently led to believe.

If you want your DNA ‘protected’ then don’t give it to another party.

There is no 4th or 5th Amendment expectation of privacy when you do so.

I've repeatedly warned posters here of 23 and Mes policy of cataloguing the DNA samples of its customers, and selling the information contained therein. But some of you tools just won't listen...

Really?

So when you out your trash curbside you surrender your privacy

Really?

So when you out your trash curbside you surrender your privacy
As far as said trash goes you do.

Forum List

Back