Poetic Justice?

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
In the sportbike world, there exists a vast majority of people who suggest new riders start off on smaller, less powerful bikes. It's not just a matter of power; actually, it IS a matter of power. Today's newest 1000cc sportbikes are insanely fast. Most of today's "Litre-bikes" as they are called, can run the quarter mile in LESS than 10 seconds with trap speeds approaching 150 miles per hour. That's faster than a Viper. Faster than any Italian-made exoctic. That's approaching what Pro-stock cars of not-so-long ago were running; cars expressly built for the purpose. Today, the average Joe Schmoe can walk into a Kawasaki dealer, lay down $11K and ride home on a bike which can reach 100+ in FIRST gear en route to a stated top speed within a 10-spot of 200mph.

Now that we've had some background on what these bikes are capable of, let's talk margin of error. As riders develop a sense for riding, they learn to hone a vital skill: Throttle input. Because these bikes have blinding acceleration, it takes only small throttle imputs to build speed. Rolling one's wrist too much in any of the first 3 gears can induce a wheelie before one can think "Holy Shit!". One of the greatest advantages to starting on a less powerful bike is obvious - given the same throttle input, the bike will accelerate slower (than it would on a bigger, more powerful bike).

That obvious conclusion is lost on some people. There are guys (yeah, mostly male), kids really (generally younger than 25 years old), whose testosterone and other ego-enhancing hormones drive them to purchase the 'biggest and baddest' bike they can - REGARDLESS of their skill level. Id Est, youthful exuberance tends to blind riders (drivers too) to their lack of experience/skill/sound decision making.

With that said:

This actually turns out to be kinda sad...yet its funny, it is from a site (Sportbike World) with a review of the Suzuki GSXR 1000....

--------
Post 1
--------

"
Bike: Suzuki GSXR 1000
Name: Zuby
Year Of Bike: 2001
Miles: 2100
Rating: 10
Mods
List the modifications on this bike stock, excpet full Yosh exhaust

Carberation
Amazing, I only weigh 150 and I cannot possibly floor the bitch in anything but third gear and still I cant keep the front end down all the time. Have brought the fucker up to 190 kph in second gear!!!! Love it more than my bitch

Brakes
Brakes are great but squeeling in the rear is annoying. Stoppies took a while to learn but now I can do them at 80kph. and I've only been riding for 6 months. This is my first bike!!

Handling
Great. Turns, stops, boots like a god, I cant get over it. Everytime I bring it home I want to take it out again.

Comments
Firstly this is my first bike I have owned and so although I cant compare it I know it is amazing compared to others. I have only been riding for 6 moths and the power is very managable. All those fags out there who say its not a begginners bike cna fu** off. They just dont want the bike to become as common as an F4i. For all the beginners out there, don't settle for anythign but the best. If you are willing to spend enough for the bike, dont be chaep. spend the extra 1 or 2 g's and buy this machine. It is too good to be true, and any of you fags out there that dont believe me email me at [email protected] and I will drive out to wherever you are and show you that a novice can be the sh*t out of anyone out there. Mind you I weigh 150 pounds, but that doesnt matter, I will accelerate, turn and stop better than any of you boys out there . Email me though if you have any questions about anyhting though, it would make me happy. LAtes P.S The girls will follow you around for a ride, and you will be the happiest person in the world."

---------
Post 2
---------

"
Bike: Suzuki GSXR 1000
Name: Kevin
Year Of Bike: 2002
Miles: 12
Rating: 1
Mods

Carberation

Brakes

Handling

Comments
I am sorry to announce but as you may have read, Zuby has died in a motorcycle accident off the 401 in Toronto. He was racing and crashed at an estimated 310 km/h. Please ride carefully, and wear protective clothing at ALL times.It could save your life."

wow.

Darwinism Proven? Fate? I dunno. But there you go.

Ride safely. :)

Forum List

Back