Pocahontas not an Indian

I recently read where the touted DNA tests are far from accurate and not worth wasting your $$$ on.

Number one, Stupid, "DNA tests" don't show that kind of shit

Well now, another budding scientist. :laugh:

Or more correctly another experienced parrot.

It's stupefying how people will continue to parrot the same debunked myth ("DNA test") after they've already been proven to be mythological. It's as if reality has no meaning and wishful thinking fantasies carry the day.

That's just bizzaro. :cuckoo:

Just as ludicrous if not more so is the unmitigated arrogance of some klown like the OP who thinks he can just swagger around demanding people he doesn't know have to take a "DNA test" to disprove a myth only he himself has swallowed in his abject gullibility, which wouldn't be able to prove or disprove his pointless point anyway.

This board is not a political forum. It's a mental institution.
We get that you're not the sharpest tack, but Pocahontas has already taken a DNA test.

I have too.

Mine told me that my closest genetic community would be around Serbia --- a place where I have no family history whatsoever, ever. However I doubt Pocahontas ever took such a test. They weren't invented yet in her time.

DNA tests can't distinguish nationalities, let alone races. Everybody knows that but the mythologists continue trying to sell bullshit. Hence the existence of this thread. The OP's daily exercise to dump his name all over all the new threads, and this is the best he could come up with. Guess there wasn't a "World Toilet Day" available.
Not to take this too far off course, but really? Ancestry DNA test they try to keep selling me for $69 isn't going to tell me where my heritage is from? Like Warren, there is a persistent rumor on my mom's side that there is an Indian in the woodpile.
What do you mean, exactly, Pogo, that these tests don't tell you any of that?

They cannot determine racial content, let alone a tribe or a nationality.

LiveScience:

>> A common misconception about genetic ancestry testing, Bolnick said, is that it can reveal information about an individual's ancestry. It cannot.

"People assume these tests can tell you your race or ethnicity and reveal exactly where your ancestors lived or exactly what social group they identified with," she said.

Recently, the Web site Ancestry.com rolled out a new service that allows people to mail in DNA samples to see if they have "genetic cousins" in the company's database and reveal their ancient origins.

One problem with this approach, scientists say, is that because such tests analyze less than 1 percent of a person's genome, they will miss most of a person's relatives.

"If you take a mitochondrial DNA test, you learn something about your mother's mother's mother's lineage," Bolnick said. "If you go back 10 generations, that's telling you something about only one out of more than a thousand ancestors."

Such tests also cannot account for recent migrations of peoples from their ancient homelands. "Present-day patterns of residence are rarely identical to what existed in the past, and social groups have changed over time, in name and composition," the scientists write.<<
This whole "DNA test" charade is a pathetic crutch the fake news mongers lean on to try to make what they must know is a lost cause argument. Not only is there no such test that would make such a determination, more to the point nobody on earth owes somebody else a test of their own body just because some inquisitor won't drop the myth propping up his bullshit argument.

The level of that kind of arrogance is just way off the damn scale.

I myself am Irish, and the reader can believe that or not believe it as they choose, but I damn sure don't "owe" anybody a frickin' DNA test to prove it, even if it COULD do that.

I think someone is getting worried she might run.
Why worry about her, of all people? 0 charisma. The republicans would have to run SUCH a fuckin dud - even by the standards of the party that's brought us Bob Dole, W, W, McCain, and Romney in 5 consecutive elections - for her to win. I'm not seeing it.
I'm NOT worried about her. I'm worried about whether Ancestry can tell me what my heritage is.

I recently read where the touted DNA tests are far from accurate and not worth wasting your $$$ on.

Yeah you read that in my post above that brought your inane thread crashing to the ground. And yet you were leaning on it as a crutch in the OP.

Next time take a moment to do your homework to see if what you're about to post even makes any sense, instead of going on this mad rush to monopolize the "New Threads" list. There's an idea.

Why worry about her, of all people? 0 charisma. The republicans would have to run SUCH a fuckin dud - even by the standards of the party that's brought us Bob Dole, W, W, McCain, and Romney in 5 consecutive elections - for her to win. I'm not seeing it.
I'm NOT worried about her. I'm worried about whether Ancestry can tell me what my heritage is.

It can't. You'll get way more useful info from genealogical records.

Mine by the way go for several generations into Maine. We could be cousins. :beer:

It's stupefying how people will continue to parrot the same debunked myth ("DNA test") after they've already been proven to be mythological. It's as if reality has no meaning and wishful thinking fantasies carry the day.

Just as ludicrous if not more so is the unmitigated arrogance of some klown like the OP who thinks he can just swagger around demanding people he doesn't know have to take a "DNA test" to disprove a myth only he himself has swallowed in his abject gullibility, which wouldn't be able to prove or disprove his pointless point anyway.

We get that you're not the sharpest tack, but Pocahontas has already taken a DNA test.

I have too.

Mine told me that my closest genetic community would be around Serbia --- a place where I have no family history whatsoever, ever. However I doubt Pocahontas ever took such a test. They weren't invented yet in her time.

DNA tests can't distinguish nationalities, let alone races. Everybody knows that but the mythologists continue trying to sell bullshit. Hence the existence of this thread. The OP's daily exercise to dump his name all over all the new threads, and this is the best he could come up with. Guess there wasn't a "World Toilet Day" available.
Not to take this too far off course, but really? Ancestry DNA test they try to keep selling me for $69 isn't going to tell me where my heritage is from? Like Warren, there is a persistent rumor on my mom's side that there is an Indian in the woodpile.

LiveScience:

>> A common misconception about genetic ancestry testing, Bolnick said, is that it can reveal information about an individual's ancestry. It cannot.

"People assume these tests can tell you your race or ethnicity and reveal exactly where your ancestors lived or exactly what social group they identified with," she said.

Recently, the Web site Ancestry.com rolled out a new service that allows people to mail in DNA samples to see if they have "genetic cousins" in the company's database and reveal their ancient origins.

One problem with this approach, scientists say, is that because such tests analyze less than 1 percent of a person's genome, they will miss most of a person's relatives.

"If you take a mitochondrial DNA test, you learn something about your mother's mother's mother's lineage," Bolnick said. "If you go back 10 generations, that's telling you something about only one out of more than a thousand ancestors."

Such tests also cannot account for recent migrations of peoples from their ancient homelands. "Present-day patterns of residence are rarely identical to what existed in the past, and social groups have changed over time, in name and composition," the scientists write.<<
This whole "DNA test" charade is a pathetic crutch the fake news mongers lean on to try to make what they must know is a lost cause argument. Not only is there no such test that would make such a determination, more to the point nobody on earth owes somebody else a test of their own body just because some inquisitor won't drop the myth propping up his bullshit argument.

I myself am Irish, and the reader can believe that or not believe it as they choose, but I damn sure don't "owe" anybody a frickin' DNA test to prove it, even if it COULD do that.
Are you really that mush of an ignoramus? DNA marks the specific origin of peoples' ancestry. While a DNA test cannot detect who is and isn't a Czech or an Austrian for example, it can sure as hell detect the difference 'tween races, even the minute dab that Pocahontas claims.

I have too.

LiveScience:

Are you really that mush of an ignoramus? DNA marks the specific origin of peoples' ancestry. While a DNA test cannot detect who is and isn't a Czech or an Austrian for example, it can sure as hell detect the difference 'tween races, even the minute dab that Pocahontas claims.

Uhhhmmmmm....... nnnnnnno. It can't. Read the actual post you just quoted.

Duh?

I have too.

LiveScience:

I know they can't identify a tribe or a nationality, but they can identify Native American DNA. They were able to identify the general areas where the first Native Americans came from, based on DNA from a 5,000 year old skeleton found in a cave in Central America (I think it was Central America--it was on a PBS show a month or so ago).
So your results didn't include any Northern European ancestry? I'll bet it did. You don't know who everyone's Daddy was, Pogo. I don't mean yours, but maybe a great grandmother took a fancy to a neighbor or someone was adopted. They didn't talk about those things. It's an interesting result, actually.
So you can be mad at me.
I do agree with you about Warren. Saying the tests wouldn't show she's Native American though aren't necessarily true.

In order to get "perks" from any particular group of paper...i.e. native american, one must PROVE they are a certain percentage of blood. Ok. So you are Irish, Pogo. What perks did you get for claiming to be Irish? Oh. Wait. There are not perks being Irish. But there ARE perks of having native american blood.

But y'all go ahead and complain and waggle your fingers at each other with the same o same o every day, every second, every year instead of using common sense and acknowledging WRONG because you belong in a certain political box.

Mine by the way go for several generations into Maine. We could be cousins. :beer:
Oh, I know it's no substitute for genealogy. Done that, too.
Dexter area, wasn't it?

I have too.

LiveScience:

I know they can't identify a tribe or a nationality, but they can identify Native American DNA. They were able to identify the general areas where the first Native Americans came from, based on DNA from a 5,000 year old skeleton found in a cave in Central America (I think it was Central America--it was on a PBS show a month or so ago).
So your results didn't include any Northern European ancestry? I'll bet it did. You don't know who everyone's Daddy was, Pogo. I don't mean yours, but maybe a great grandmother took a fancy to a neighbor or someone was adopted. They didn't talk about those things. It's an interesting result, actually.
So you can be mad at me.
I do agree with you about Warren. Saying the tests wouldn't show she's Native American though aren't necessarily true.

Such a test couldn't possibly show that. Maybe if it was a direct parent but not the distant connections her family lore cites. And again, the bigger point is that Warren has no reason to subject to such a test --- even if it could make such a determination. There's nothing to confirm or refute.

Yeah my results pointed to eastern Europe, which appears nowhere in my ancestry, and I have it documented pretty thoroughly. I take that to mean I have more genetic traits in common with them such as "blue eyes" than I would with other areas.

And even then they give you a numerical scale, i.e. eastern Europe came in with the highest score (read: highest probability) while other ethnicities, including the Irish that actually does apply, were listed with lower scores.

It can't tell "race" because in order to match a "race" they would need a comparator that is "pure" Native American (or Mongoloid), another that is "pure" Caucasoid, another "pure" Negroid, etc. Those samples do not exist.

Dexter area, wasn't it?

Bangor. You can't get there from here.

In order to get "perks" from any particular group of paper...i.e. native american, one must PROVE they are a certain percentage of blood. Ok. So you are Irish, Pogo. What perks did you get for claiming to be Irish? Oh. Wait. There are not perks being Irish. But there ARE perks of having native american blood.

But y'all go ahead and complain and waggle your fingers at each other with the same o same o every day, every second, every year instead of using common sense and acknowledging WRONG because you belong in a certain political box.

I've got no perks from being Irish, but I also didn't request or expect any.
Which is exactly the same as Warren.

Now some wag could take to this board and CLAIM I got perks for being Irish. But like Warren --- that would not make it an actual event.

I have too.

LiveScience:

So you can be mad at me.

Such a test couldn't possibly show that. Maybe if it was a direct parent but not the distant connections her family lore cites. And again, the bigger point is that Warren has no reason to subject to such a test --- even if it could make such a determination. There's nothing to confirm or refute.

Yeah my results pointed to eastern Europe, which appears nowhere in my ancestry, and I have it documented pretty thoroughly. I take that to mean I have more genetic traits in common with them such as "blue eyes" than I would with other areas.

And even then they give you a numerical scale, i.e. eastern Europe came in with the highest score (read: highest probability) while other ethnicities, including the Irish that actually does apply, were listed with lower scores.

It can't tell "race" because in order to match a "race" they would need a comparator that is "pure" Native American (or Mongoloid), another that is "pure" Caucasoid, another "pure" Negroid, etc. Those samples do not exist.
You're a fool. DNA can certainly confirm if Pocahontas is partially Indian. We are not going back to Neanderthal man or even if she's partly Visigoth.

She's fake!

I have too.

LiveScience:

So you can be mad at me.

You're a fool. DNA can certainly confirm if Pocahontas is partially Indian. We are not going back to Neanderthal man or even if she's partly Visigoth.

She's fake!

For the third time now, No it does not; again see my link; and show your evidence.

You know ----- like I did.

I have too.

LiveScience:

So you can be mad at me.

the bigger point is that Warren has no reason to subject to such a test
Agreed.

my results pointed to eastern Europe, which appears nowhere in my ancestry,
Most likely, there's a Serbian descendant out there scratching his head, wondering where all the Irishmen came from in his heritage.

I'm no scientist, as you well know, so I'm not going to argue you on this, but I do trust that the DNA researchers have taken into account the fact that there are no pure Native Americans left. However, they have isolated those parts of the DNA that are common to Native Americans and not Europeans, Asians, Africans. At least that is my understanding. If you are arguing that Ancestry's DNA testing is slipshod and inaccurate, I don't doubt it. I hear they are actually collecting all that DNA and marketing it to medical researchers en masse. But as much as you hate teevee, I trust NOVA and Secrets of the Dead and they SAY they can get a general understanding of where a person came from by studying their DNA. They've been doing it for years and therefore, I believe that part of your argument is weak.

Dexter area, wasn't it?

Bangor. You can't get there from here.
Nope. Couple days ago, you couldn't get there from anywhere.

I have too.

LiveScience:

So you can be mad at me.

the bigger point is that Warren has no reason to subject to such a test
Agreed.

my results pointed to eastern Europe, which appears nowhere in my ancestry,
Most likely, there's a Serbian descendant out there scratching his head, wondering where all the Irishmen came from in his heritage.

I'm no scientist, as you well know, so I'm not going to argue you on this, but I do trust that the DNA researchers have taken into account the fact that there are no pure Native Americans left. However, they have isolated those parts of the DNA that are common to Native Americans and not Europeans, Asians, Africans. At least that is my understanding. If you are arguing that Ancestry's DNA testing is slipshod and inaccurate, I don't doubt it. I hear they are actually collecting all that DNA and marketing it to medical researchers en masse. But as much as you hate teevee, I trust NOVA and Secrets of the Dead and they SAY they can get a general understanding of where a person came from by studying their DNA. They've been doing it for years and therefore, I believe that part of your argument is weak.

It's not my argument actually --- it's theirs. THEY say they can't do that. I plopped a link a while back from Live Science.

The Serbian thing is just a personal anecdote. Not really relevant except as an example of how nascent this technology is. And for the score it gave me in that anecdote it would have had to be a whole lot more than "a Serbian descendant" --- it would have had to dominate a family history that was never anywhere near there.

--- which leads me to believe this is asking the wrong question: a contemporary DNA test does not claim to predict what one's nationality (or race) is, it simply identifies where your gene map finds the most similarity, then the second most, third most, etc. Obviously by my anecdote it's not very good at that and what it can reveal is, at least for now, extremely limited. And in the case of Warren the NA ancestry is way too far back to trace.

None of which of course touches on the persistent fact that Warren has no need to submit to such a test --- even if it could be so accurate --- just to feed their mythological fantasies, and if such a test could show that and did show that, they'd deny it anyway since Denial and Dishonesty is their lifeblood, so what would be the point.

The uninformed partisan hacks here think they can just grab a hold of a new technology and make it do whatever they want like some science fiction comic book but the science itself says it can't do that. And if it can't even tell the difference between Serbia and Ireland, I'm inclined to believe that disclaimer.

Forum List

Back