Pete Rose Formally Petitions MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred for Reinstatement

Oh no that's not true:
>> "In 1907 during spring training in Augusta, Georgia, a black groundskeeper named Bungy, whom Cobb had known for years, attempted to shake Cobb’s hand or pat him on the shoulder."[18] The "overly familiar greeting infuriated" Cobb, who attacked Bungy. When Bungy's wife tried to defend him, Cobb choked her. The assault was only stopped when catcher Charles "Boss" Schmidt knocked Cobb out.[49] In 1908, Cobb attacked a black laborer in Detroit who complained when Cobb stepped into freshly poured asphalt; Cobb was found guilty of battery but the sentence was suspended.[18] << (Wiki Ty Cobb page)
And yet, in his later years he changed those views, as did the country around him, praised Jackie Robinson and denounced the color line. People do grow.
I think it's clear that I was referring to his play on the field during regular seasons. He was ultra-aggressive, but he did not cheat. Cheating would have offended him greatly, as he considered himself a Southern Gentleman.

His story has yet been told in a movie. I was so excited when they announced 'Cobb', starring Tommy Lee Jones, in the late 1980s. What a disappointment, as it only covered his later, paranoid life after baseball.
Cobb was hated when he played the game and hated in later life. When he died, only one teammate showed up for his funeral
I seem to remember he did actually cheat when he played.
Never. But nobody played the game harder than he did. He would sharpen his cleats to draw blood sliding into a base, and is famous for saying "baseball is no pink tea". He treated it as war.

Cobb was also involved in game fixing ith Tris Speaker in September 1919, a month before the Blacksox

Ty Cobb - Rule 5 An Analysis of the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame Character Clause

It was alleged he was game fixing, it was by a player released by Cobb and after no one picked him up off waivers, he went to the commissioner, but the player never showed at the hearing, so it was dismissed.

Eh -- again, not quite. Again from the Wiki page:

Leonard accused former pitcher and outfielder Smoky Joe Wood and Cobb of betting on a Tiger-Indian game played in Detroit on September 25, 1919, in which they allegedly orchestrated a Tiger victory to win the bet. Leonard claimed proof existed in letters written to him by Cobb and Wood.[3] Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis held a secret hearing with Cobb, Speaker and Wood.[3] A second secret meeting among the AL directors led to the unpublicized resignations of Cobb and Speaker; however, rumors of the scandal led Judge Landis to hold additional hearings[3] in which Leonard subsequently refused to participate. Cobb and Wood admitted to writing the letters, but claimed that a horse-racing bet was involved and that Leonard's accusations were in retaliation for Cobb's having released him from the Tigers, thereby demoting him to the minor leagues.[3] Speaker denied any wrongdoing.[3]
-- which seems to me at least as intriguing as message board posters here claiming MLB "never revealed what it knows". Even though Wiki has that too...

The runner has to get out of the way of a fielder or a hit ball, not so much a thrown ball.
Then why are you bringing up Jeter, who was hit by a thrown ball?

Because he wasn't hit by a thrown ball. He PRETENDED to be -- same thing the kid in the 2nd video did.. And I might add, his getting on base was followed by a Granderson homer.

Oh no that's not true:
>> "In 1907 during spring training in Augusta, Georgia, a black groundskeeper named Bungy, whom Cobb had known for years, attempted to shake Cobb’s hand or pat him on the shoulder."[18] The "overly familiar greeting infuriated" Cobb, who attacked Bungy. When Bungy's wife tried to defend him, Cobb choked her. The assault was only stopped when catcher Charles "Boss" Schmidt knocked Cobb out.[49] In 1908, Cobb attacked a black laborer in Detroit who complained when Cobb stepped into freshly poured asphalt; Cobb was found guilty of battery but the sentence was suspended.[18] << (Wiki Ty Cobb page)
And yet, in his later years he changed those views, as did the country around him, praised Jackie Robinson and denounced the color line. People do grow.
I think it's clear that I was referring to his play on the field during regular seasons. He was ultra-aggressive, but he did not cheat. Cheating would have offended him greatly, as he considered himself a Southern Gentleman.

His story has yet been told in a movie. I was so excited when they announced 'Cobb', starring Tommy Lee Jones, in the late 1980s. What a disappointment, as it only covered his later, paranoid life after baseball.
Cobb was hated when he played the game and hated in later life. When he died, only one teammate showed up for his funeral
Never. But nobody played the game harder than he did. He would sharpen his cleats to draw blood sliding into a base, and is famous for saying "baseball is no pink tea". He treated it as war.

Cobb was also involved in game fixing ith Tris Speaker in September 1919, a month before the Blacksox

Ty Cobb - Rule 5 An Analysis of the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame Character Clause

It was alleged he was game fixing, it was by a player released by Cobb and after no one picked him up off waivers, he went to the commissioner, but the player never showed at the hearing, so it was dismissed.

Yea....and the Black Sox were found not guilty in court

Didn't mean they didn't do it

Hall of Fame Has Always Made Room for Infamy

>> “Cap Anson helped make sure baseball’s color line was established in the 1880s,” Thorn said of the Chicago Cubs first baseman and manager who was enshrined in the Hall of Fame the year it opened in Cooperstown, N.Y., in 1939. “He was relentless in that cause.” <<​

(Something I point out on these pages occasionally: Jackie Robinson was not the first black ballplayer (that would be Moses Fleetwood Walker, 1884 -- and if you listen carefully, MLB doesn't phrase it that way -- it says JR "broke the color line".

What it never goes into is how there came to be a color line in the first place for over half a century. Cap Anson and Kennesaaw Mountain Landis had much to do with that. Both members of the Hall and the latter a Commissioner.)

You suppose telling the whole truth would expose institutional hypocrisy?
That's why I have to laugh when some of these wags wag their finger and say "Pete Rose lied" -- well duh..... what do you think MLB's been doing with its own segregationist past for the last 68 years?

Orlando Cepeda -- busted on drug charges, made the Hall.
Grover Cleveland Alexander - "pitched better drunk than sober". Hall.
Wade Boggs: Sex addict. Hall.
Rogers Horsby: serious gambling addiction. Hall.

Interesting article.

Last edited:

Leonard accused former pitcher and outfielder Smoky Joe Wood and Cobb of betting on a Tiger-Indian game played in Detroit on September 25, 1919, in which they allegedly orchestrated a Tiger victory to win the bet. Leonard claimed proof existed in letters written to him by Cobb and Wood.[3] Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis held a secret hearing with Cobb, Speaker and Wood.[3] A second secret meeting among the AL directors led to the unpublicized resignations of Cobb and Speaker; however, rumors of the scandal led Judge Landis to hold additional hearings[3] in which Leonard subsequently refused to participate. Cobb and Wood admitted to writing the letters, but claimed that a horse-racing bet was involved and that Leonard's accusations were in retaliation for Cobb's having released him from the Tigers, thereby demoting him to the minor leagues.[3] Speaker denied any wrongdoing.[3]
-- which seems to me at least as intriguing as message board posters here claiming MLB "never revealed what it knows". Even though Wiki has that too...

Which rule did Cobb break?

And what rule did Cobb break? He resigned, however there was no hard fast rule at the time, it did help evolve the game and the rules.

And what rule did Cobb break? He resigned, however there was no hard fast rule at the time, it did help evolve the game and the rules.

Looks like the same rule the Black Sox broke a month later

Hall of Fame Has Always Made Room for Infamy

>> “Cap Anson helped make sure baseball’s color line was established in the 1880s,” Thorn said of the Chicago Cubs first baseman and manager who was enshrined in the Hall of Fame the year it opened in Cooperstown, N.Y., in 1939. “He was relentless in that cause.” <<​

(Something I point out on these pages occasionally: Jackie Robinson was not the first black ballplayer (that would be Moses Fleetwood Walker, 1884)-- and if you listen carefully, MLB doesn't phrase it that way -- it says he "broke the color line".

What it never goes into is how there came to be a color line in the first place for over half a century. Cap Anson and Kennesaaw Mountain Landis had much to do with that. Both members of the Hall.

Interesting article.

Yep and none of it makes any difference with Rose. Steve Howe was banned from the game for drug issues.

I don't know if he "broke a rule" --- I'm refuting your assertion that "the player never showed up, it was dismissed". Obviously there was much more to it than that. Two meetings with the Commissioner leading to two resignations of superstars? Definitely more to it than that.

I don't know if he "broke a rule" --- I'm refuting your assertion that "the player never showed up, it was dismissed". Obviously there was much more to it than that. Two meetings with the Commissioner leading to two resignations of superstars? Definitely more to it than that.

Fine, they resigned and it was over when pressed further Leonard didn't want to be a part of it.

No one broke a hard and fast rule. However, Rose did, numerous times, got caught and he is now appealing, I hope they reject his appeal.

I don't know how many times I have to ask: what was the prevailing rule at the time, that threatened a lifetime ban should it be violated?

The runner has to get out of the way of a fielder or a hit ball, not so much a thrown ball.

Because he wasn't hit by a thrown ball. He PRETENDED to be -- same thing the kid in the 2nd video did.. And I might add, his getting on base was followed by a Granderson homer.
That's gamesmanship, no different than McEnroe vehemently arguing that a ball was in when he knew it was out.

And it has nothing to do with repeat offender Pete Rose, well aware of the consequences of his actions, and who flaunted that rule.

I don't know how many times I have to ask: what was the prevailing rule at the time, that threatened a lifetime ban should it be violated?

I don't know, and I don't see how it would apply here anyway.

The poster (PG) tried to float the turd that the corruption case against Cobb and Speaker was a non-starter. It wasn't. I was making that clear.

The point of the post isn't Cobb or Speaker. It's a USMB poster making a dishonest post.

That's gamesmanship, no different than McEnroe vehemently arguing that a ball was in when he knew it was out.

And it has nothing to do with repeat offender Pete Rose, well aware of the consequences of his actions, and who flaunted that rule.

It's cheating. You don't get awarded first base for pretending to be hit by pitch
If McEnroe argued a call he knew to be out, that's dishonest, but it doesn't become cheating unless he prevails on the umpire to reverse the call.

Do I have to point out - again - that none of them bet on baseball?

The poster (PG) tried to float the turd that the corruption case against Cobb and Speaker was a non-starter. It wasn't. I was making that clear.

The point of the post isn't Cobb or Speaker. It's a USMB poster making a dishonest post.
Ahh, sorry if I replied to the wrong post. It's sometimes difficult when you have posters on 'Ignore'. Whoever 'PG' is, he must be one of them.

Do I have to point out - again - that none of them bet on baseball?

Do I have to answer - again - that Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle were both banned from baseball -- and they're in the Hall?

It's still two separate issues.

Ahh, sorry if I replied to the wrong post. It's sometimes difficult when you have posters on 'Ignore'. Whoever 'PG' is, he must be one of them.

Papageorgio.
No worries. :thup:

Forum List

Back