This councillor sought more transparency. His words were disrespectful, says integrity watchdog

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
He calmly confronts the police state kakistocracy and is punished.

As corruption and nepotism reign the West will fall. Watch Canadas rapid demise to learn of your potential future. Will America learn from us?

During a public council meeting in the spring, a city councillor in Pembroke, Ont., was "passionate" in his demand for more transparency in city procedures and bylaws.

The city's integrity commissioner says those comments were "disrespectful" to city staff and in his opinion, the councillor deserves a 15-day suspension of his pay in what would be the commissioner's first ever breach of conduct report presented before a Pembroke council.

"I felt it was a violation of my freedoms … the right to freedom of opinion and expression," Coun. Troy Purcell told CBC News one day after Tuesday's council meeting — when integrity commissioner Tony Fleming presented his findings.

According to Fleming's report, he received multiple complaints alleging Purcell made "comments about staff that were derogatory" at an April council meeting and thus "negatively affected staff's well-being and created low morale."

The identities of the complainants were not disclosed.

Fleming said Purcell breached a section of the city code requiring councillors to "treat members of the public, staff and each other in a respectful manner," but said his comments did not constitute "abuse, bullying, harassment or intimidation."

"Please hear me clearly. My intent … was not to disrespect staff but to spur change," Purcell said Tuesday.

The April 18 meeting — at the centre of the complaints — was a prelude to sweeping changes in city government.

Forum List

Back