Pernil = great dinner on Saturday!

RWS

Gold Member
Sep 24, 2013
I'm Cuban, but went to this little hole-in-the-wall cash-only place on Sunday in Mesa, AZ, and had authentic Puerto Rican pernil! I'm from NY originally, so I know good pernil when I have some, and swore I would make it the following weekend! BTW, the place is Millie's Cafe, if you're ever in the neighborhood...
Millie’s Cafe - Mesa, AZ

Don't judge a book by it's cover... I actually got several dishes for me and my daughters, and they were all top-notch! But the place itself, is not a restaurant type place, and you may think you're not at the actual place when you get there. Trust your GPS.

So anyway, I had to make it, and I started marinating tonight, and will cook it on Saturday. This is my first pernil. 12.9 pounds of juicy tender pork! I will make Cuban sandwiches with the leftovers on Sunday, although it is impossible to find Cuban bread in AZ.... Will use French (may even try rye bread, bc I think it will go good together, and I'll have a lot of pork left over).

I cook a lot of Cuban food, but have never tried cooking roast pork shoulder this big before. So I'm following a recipe from online. I'm following it exact for now. And will adjust as necessary in the future. Pernil Puerto Rican Pork Shoulder) Recipe - Food.com. It got 56 reviews and 5 stars throughout. So I gotta roll with it the first time! Sounds right based on my taste buds, though I should add some cumin. But will follow the recipe the 1st time.

My problem is, that there is going to be one huge bone left over. And I have 2 dogs and really don't want to have to hacksaw it afterwards.... How do I make it fair to the pups in terms that dogs can understand?!? : - )

Anyway, I'll post updates, in case anyone's interested in such a dish.

Forum List

Back