Pentecostals

You can post that till the cows come home to prove your point but I've been attending a Pentecostal church since I was old enough to see over the top of a pew, roughly 50 years or so, and not every single woman in a Pentecostal church abides by the guidelines you posted. Just because the United Pentecostal Church International says it, it doesn't make it so.You may see some churches where a majority abide by the guidlines, but very few where each and every member do.

Not every Pentecostal church is associated with United Pentecostal Church International. There is a lot of division within the Pentecostal movement so one size does not fit all where rules are concerned.

NOt EVERY SINGLE PERSON OF ANY church abides by the standards of ANY dogma. What the hell is that supposed to mean to the doctrine of the specific sect of christianity? And, seems to me that the UPCI is a tad bit more relevant to the doctrine of Pentecostalism than you and your 50 years are.

and yes. RELEVANT CHURCHES DO FOLLOW GUIDELINES. How many pro-abortion catholics churches can you point at? DESPITE the actions of any abortion having member of any given catholic church?

sure sure... snakebiting pentecostals do not fit into the official language either.. HOW, exactly, do they reflect on the actual organized pentecostal church?

You said you could always tell Pentecostals by their dress. We're simply pointing out that's not always the case. And you're agreeing with us. Thanks.

Hey, im the one providing the evidence so... if you think that's agreeing with you then i guess it's no real shocker that you've missed providing your own evidence.

You said you could always tell Pentecostals by their dress. We're simply pointing out that's not always the case. And you're agreeing with us. Thanks.

Baba's right about this and she didn't even say it in caps.

no, baba is wrong as hell.. I'd challenge ANYONE who thinks baba is right to post their evidence

Deuteronomy 22:5 (King James Version)

5The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

The statement below is one of the biggest reasons that I, myself, disagree's with her belief. But then we are all American's and can chose what we want, I guess. But it is still crazy :cuckoo: in my mind.

Palin On Abortion: I'd Oppose Even If My Own Daughter Was Raped

In November 2006, then gubernatorial candidate Sarah Palin declared that she would not support an abortion for her own daughter even if she had been raped. Granting exceptions only if the mother's life was in danger, Palin said that when it came to her daughter, "I would choose life."

New Testament Teaching for Women

The New Testament makes several specific statements pertaining to women's dress in the epistles of Paul and Peter.

"I will that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands without wrath and doubting. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; but (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works" (1 Timothy 2:8-10).

"Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; while they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; but let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands" (I Peter 3:1-5).

Paul admonished women to dress according to certain standards and listed them in this order: modesty, inexpensive and nonornamental attire, and clothing that becomes godliness. To be modest means to be decent and respectful. The apostolic Christian woman seeks to emulate all the fine virtues of Christian womanhood, so she carefully and prayerfully selects her attire in order not to unduly expose her body to the stares of the public. She is not so old-fashioned as to look like a monstrosity, but she is deliberately methodical in choosing clothing that will dignify her womanhood without provoking the stares of the opposite sex.

She has dedicated herself to the cause of Christianity. This manner of dedication avoids expensive, extravagant clothing and superfluous, ornamental jewelry, permitting only the functional use of a wristwatch and a wedding band to designate her wedlock. The great needs of Christian evangelism and charitable assistance to the poor demand that she deny herself the exorbitant tastes of expensive fads so that she might practice the Christian art of concern for others. In this manner, she professes a godliness that stems from a heartfelt desire for virtuous, holy living.

Her hair style is again predicated upon the Word of God, which teaches her to let her hair grow uncut: "Is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering" (I Corinthians 11:13-15).

Against this picture of scriptural womanhood, we have the worldly female of today who tries by every conceivable means, it seems, to flirt with the hazards of indecency. Costumes and apparel that are inclined toward nudity are sought after intensely. The results are demonstrated in a wanton display of seminude parades on our public streets. Many authorities agree that this concentration on exposure of the body has contributed greatly to the serious problems of immorality that threaten the basic foundations of our homes and families. It has also been a cause in inviting serious sexual atrocities.

The worldly woman also makes a hobby of fashion crazes and style shows. She sets up a contest with her neighbors as to who owns the most expensive jewelry, who wears the latest clothes, and who has traveled the farthest to buy the latest creation. It makes for an interesting discussion over a cocktail, but it does not alleviate the serious problems and needs of a reeling world, which Christians are called upon to address with a Christ-like zeal to help desperate souls, both by their means and their consecration.

Distinction Between Male and Female

Moreover, the Scriptures teach a great difference between femininity and masculinity as to dress. "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God" (Deuteronomy 22:5).

The desire to emulate men in dress has seriously affected the fine and noble characteristics of womanhood. Often it takes a second glance to determine the sex of a woman today, due to the distorted and strange garb she wears and the close proximity of her attire to that of a man. The Scriptures call this practice an abomination unto God, or something God hates.

Perhaps some will say this standard has changed due to the inception of the age of grace introduced by Jesus Christ. But this verse deals with moral law and with the nature of God, which never change, not with a ceremonial ritual fulfilled by Christ. Moreover, when the Apostle Peter wished to instruct Christian women about proper conduct, he used Sarah, the wife of Abraham, as his example (I Peter 3:5). Thus, we are not out of order in this instance to use a verse of Scripture from the law. We rightfully go back over the years and learn a spiritual lesson that sharply rebukes the customs and practices of our day.

Scriptural Guidelines Summarized

Holy women of old concentrated on adorning their spiritual life by developing the character of the heart. This is the major concentration and beautification of the Christian woman. Thus, the Apostle Peter used the great dedication of women of another age to impress the women of the first century with the need for the ornament or adornment of a meek and quiet spirit.

By the same token, we are within reasonable and scriptural rights to insist that Christian women today heed the influential, sensible, and divinely inspired advice of the apostles.

Here are the biblical guidelines concerning Christian example in dress for women.
1. Modesty
2. Moderation in cost.
3. Inclination toward godliness (decency).
4. Avoidance of outward adornment.
5. Shamefacedness and sobriety.
6. Distinction between male and female.

United Pentecostal Church International

evidence.

The statement below is one of the biggest reasons that I, myself, disagree's with her belief. But then we are all American's and can chose what we want, I guess. But it is still crazy :cuckoo: in my mind.

Palin On Abortion: I'd Oppose Even If My Own Daughter Was Raped

That's sick that she would not allow her raped daughter to have an abortion. But she gets respect from me for being consistent in her beliefs. If a fetus has a right to occupy a woman's body, then that should apply to all fetuses (sp.?) irregardless of what crimes their fathers have committed.

Denny ... I agree with you. Not all people practice all of their churches belief's, as you have pointed out. But ...... Sarah Palin is the one that is bringing doubt to those of us that do not understand her church/religion ..... to the headlines. She say's one thing ... then the very next day something new pops up allowing those of us to questiion her, when it is found. Right?

People keep saying "keep seperation of church and politics" ... to me it seems she is doing exactly the opposite. :confused: :doubt: :confused:

I agree, but what I'm seeing is Palin being very evasive on her religion. If she is embarrassed because of her Pentecostal background she needs to get up in front of voters and explain her religious views so folks can understand what exactly her views are instead of folks drawing the wrong conclusion.

If she still believes in the values preached in the Pentecostal churches that I'm familiar with I can't see that it would do her image any harm. Pentecostals are pro life, all for family values, helping the less fortunate, community oriented, all for prayers in school, keeping the term "God" incorporated into everyday life, like with the nativity scenes, God being written on phrases in federal buildings, etc. I thought Republicans were mostly in favor of all those things.

I think she can express her views and still manage to uphold the seperation of church and state. To a certain degree our country was founded on religious principles so I don't feel we will ever be able to totally seperate the two.

If anyone is concerned about her values and what implication they may have they should be very concerned about our next selection or selections that may end up being made regarding the Supreme Court nominees if a Republican is our next president. IMO.

New Testament Teaching for Women

The New Testament makes several specific statements pertaining to women's dress in the epistles of Paul and Peter.

"I will that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands without wrath and doubting. In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; but (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works" (1 Timothy 2:8-10).

"Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; while they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; but let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands" (I Peter 3:1-5).

Paul admonished women to dress according to certain standards and listed them in this order: modesty, inexpensive and nonornamental attire, and clothing that becomes godliness. To be modest means to be decent and respectful. The apostolic Christian woman seeks to emulate all the fine virtues of Christian womanhood, so she carefully and prayerfully selects her attire in order not to unduly expose her body to the stares of the public. She is not so old-fashioned as to look like a monstrosity, but she is deliberately methodical in choosing clothing that will dignify her womanhood without provoking the stares of the opposite sex.

She has dedicated herself to the cause of Christianity. This manner of dedication avoids expensive, extravagant clothing and superfluous, ornamental jewelry, permitting only the functional use of a wristwatch and a wedding band to designate her wedlock. The great needs of Christian evangelism and charitable assistance to the poor demand that she deny herself the exorbitant tastes of expensive fads so that she might practice the Christian art of concern for others. In this manner, she professes a godliness that stems from a heartfelt desire for virtuous, holy living.

Her hair style is again predicated upon the Word of God, which teaches her to let her hair grow uncut: "Is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering" (I Corinthians 11:13-15).

Against this picture of scriptural womanhood, we have the worldly female of today who tries by every conceivable means, it seems, to flirt with the hazards of indecency. Costumes and apparel that are inclined toward nudity are sought after intensely. The results are demonstrated in a wanton display of seminude parades on our public streets. Many authorities agree that this concentration on exposure of the body has contributed greatly to the serious problems of immorality that threaten the basic foundations of our homes and families. It has also been a cause in inviting serious sexual atrocities.

The worldly woman also makes a hobby of fashion crazes and style shows. She sets up a contest with her neighbors as to who owns the most expensive jewelry, who wears the latest clothes, and who has traveled the farthest to buy the latest creation. It makes for an interesting discussion over a cocktail, but it does not alleviate the serious problems and needs of a reeling world, which Christians are called upon to address with a Christ-like zeal to help desperate souls, both by their means and their consecration.

Distinction Between Male and Female

Moreover, the Scriptures teach a great difference between femininity and masculinity as to dress. "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God" (Deuteronomy 22:5).

The desire to emulate men in dress has seriously affected the fine and noble characteristics of womanhood. Often it takes a second glance to determine the sex of a woman today, due to the distorted and strange garb she wears and the close proximity of her attire to that of a man. The Scriptures call this practice an abomination unto God, or something God hates.

Perhaps some will say this standard has changed due to the inception of the age of grace introduced by Jesus Christ. But this verse deals with moral law and with the nature of God, which never change, not with a ceremonial ritual fulfilled by Christ. Moreover, when the Apostle Peter wished to instruct Christian women about proper conduct, he used Sarah, the wife of Abraham, as his example (I Peter 3:5). Thus, we are not out of order in this instance to use a verse of Scripture from the law. We rightfully go back over the years and learn a spiritual lesson that sharply rebukes the customs and practices of our day.

Scriptural Guidelines Summarized

Holy women of old concentrated on adorning their spiritual life by developing the character of the heart. This is the major concentration and beautification of the Christian woman. Thus, the Apostle Peter used the great dedication of women of another age to impress the women of the first century with the need for the ornament or adornment of a meek and quiet spirit.

By the same token, we are within reasonable and scriptural rights to insist that Christian women today heed the influential, sensible, and divinely inspired advice of the apostles.

Here are the biblical guidelines concerning Christian example in dress for women.
1. Modesty
2. Moderation in cost.
3. Inclination toward godliness (decency).
4. Avoidance of outward adornment.
5. Shamefacedness and sobriety.
6. Distinction between male and female.

United Pentecostal Church International

evidence.

I understand what you are saying but not all Pentecostal Churches are affilated with United Pentecostal Church International.

I agree, but what I'm seeing is Palin being very evasive on her religion. If she is embarrassed because of her Pentecostal background she needs to get up in front of voters and explain her religious views so folks can understand what exactly her views are instead of folks drawing the wrong conclusion.

If she still believes in the values preached in the Pentecostal churches that I'm familiar with I can't see that it would do her image any harm. Pentecostals are pro life, all for family values, helping the less fortunate, community oriented, all for prayers in school, keeping the term "God" incorporated into everyday life, like with the nativity scenes, God being written on phrases in federal buildings, etc. I thought Republicans were mostly in favor of all those things.

I think she can express her views and still manage to uphold the seperation of church and state. To a certain degree our country was founded on religious principles so I don't feel we will ever be able to totally seperate the two.

If anyone is concerned about her values and what implication they may have they should be very concerned about our next selection or selections that may end up being made regarding the Supreme Court nominees if a Republican is our next president. IMO.

She is playing the "pick and chose" game.

You are arguing the wrong point. But maybe you know that...

Babs is right.

uh, do illuminate what wrong pint im argueing. And, make sure to support that evidence offered by yourself, baba and mr crane.

She is playing the "pick and chose" game.

I agree, and I think it will eventually cost her some support. Perhaps not at the moment, but there is a lot of time left for voters to make an informed decision. Once voters get a chance to see through the smoke and mirror tactic we are seeing now, Palin will be sent back to Alaska where she pick up where she left off, in an atmosphere more suitable for her expertise.

NOt EVERY SINGLE PERSON OF ANY church abides by the standards of ANY dogma. What the hell is that supposed to mean to the doctrine of the specific sect of christianity? And, seems to me that the UPCI is a tad bit more relevant to the doctrine of Pentecostalism than you and your 50 years are.

and yes. RELEVANT CHURCHES DO FOLLOW GUIDELINES. How many pro-abortion catholics churches can you point at? DESPITE the actions of any abortion having member of any given catholic church?

sure sure... snakebiting pentecostals do not fit into the official language either.. HOW, exactly, do they reflect on the actual organized pentecostal church?

You can't seem to grasp the concept that there are a lot of differences within the Pentecostal religion, and that it isn't a one size fits all, scripted religion. They don't all hold the same beliefs.

RELEVANT CHURCHES DO FOLLOW GUIDELINES.

I disagree where Pentecostal churches and rules are concerned. This isn't a cut and dried sort of religion, and you can't point to United Pentecostal Church International and say this is what every person who attends a Pentecostal church has to abide by to be considered Pentecostal because that is not the case. Not all Pentecostal churches are affiliated with United Pentecostal International so what UPCI says has no direct influence on every Pentecostal church.

And, seems to me that the UPCI is a tad bit more relevant to the doctrine of Pentecostalism than you and your 50 years are

Fair enough but I know what I see without having to google it, and I know from experience that Pentecostal churches are a lot more diverse that the guidelines you keep posting as gospel. The church doctrine you keep pointing to doesn't translate into a practical application where all Pentecostal churches are concerned.

Maybe this will explain it a bit better.

Pentecostalism is a fundamentalist religious movement within Christianity that places special emphasis on the direct personal experience of God through the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, as shown in the Biblical account of the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2). Pentecostalism is an umbrella term including a wide range of different theological and organizational perspectives. As a result, there is no central organization or church which directs the movement. Within Pentecostalism there are two major groups, Trinitarian Pentecostals and Oneness Pentecostals. However, many Pentecostals also consider themselves part of broader Christian groups. For example, Pentecostals often identify as Evangelicals. Furthermore, many embrace the term Protestant, while others the term Restorationist. Pentecostalism is also theologically and historically close to the Charismatic Movement, and some Pentecostals use the two terms interchangeably.

Examples of some Trinitarian Pentecostal denominations include the Church of God in Christ (COGIC), the Assemblies of God, Assemblies of Christian Churches(AIC) and the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel. Examples of Oneness Pentecostal groups include the United Pentecostal Church International (UPCI) and the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World (P.A.W).

Pentecostalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take note of this statement:

there is no central organization or church which directs the movement.

And this one:

Within Pentecostalism there are two major groups, Trinitarian Pentecostals and Oneness Pentecostals.

Likle I mentioned before, one size doesn't fit all.

Last edited:
wikipedia knows more than the UNITED PENTECOSTAL CHURCH INTERNATIONAL, eh?

hehe..

whatever, dude. Like I said, show me a pro abortion catholic church. The basic dogma of the pentecostal does not make room for lipstick regardless of how many gals you've seen wear it in your experience.

wikipedia knows more than the UNITED PENTECOSTAL CHURCH INTERNATIONAL, eh?

hehe..

whatever, dude. Like I said, show me a pro abortion catholic church. The basic dogma of the pentecostal does not make room for lipstick regardless of how many gals you've seen wear it in your experience.

If you can post anything that proves different than what was outlined in the post I made feel free to post in to prove your point. Yes it was from wikipedia but not everything from that source is bs. I'll post other sources if you prove my arguement to be wrong in some factual way, but I'm confident that they will say pretty much the same thing.

I've never stated that Pentecostal pastors have said that it was ok to wear lipstick, short skirts, or cut their hair. My arguement is those women who choose to do so are still respected members of the congregation regardless of their conviction to follow church teachings.

uh, do illuminate what wrong pint im argueing. And, make sure to support that evidence offered by yourself, baba and mr crane.

That women in dress that violates the Pentecostal dress code do not attend pentecostal services or do not consider themselves Pentecostals. Go back and read the posts.

Forum List

Back