Pentecostals

I am specifically interested in whether they generally believe in (1) demonic possession (Catholics don't, even though it is part of the traditional catholic teaching), (2) baptism in the holy spirit manifesting through speaking in tongues, and the (3) gift of prophecy.

With my 'science hat' on these are examples of wishful thinking. With my 'faith hat' on they are more extreme than what I raised with and I wonder how generally accepted these three tenets are. With my 'american' hat on I think Bush acted impulsively because of his evangelical beliefs and his belief that he was doing God's will and we'd damn well better know if the potential VP operates from the same position.

Anyway, I don't expect you, Denny, to 'explain' sara palin but I do wonder if you know how generally and strongly those three tenets are held. I know that people and churches are individual....

Yes, pentecostals believe in demonic activity. Yes, pentecostals believe in speaking in tongues. Yes, pentecostals believe in prophesy.

Im not going to put pentecostals on a level that is any more rediculous than any other dogma junky. And, Im pretty sure that Sarah Palin is not a pentecostal (by any measure that iv'e seen). Wanna spot a pentecostal at the store? 3 things: long jean dresses. Long, LONG hair. No makeup.

if you get the chance, check out David Benoit's 80s masterpiece "Devil Worship in Rock Music" and "Violence in Rock Music". It's good stuff in a "smoke a bowl while watching reefer madness" sorta way.

Yes, pentecostals believe in demonic activity. Yes, pentecostals believe in speaking in tongues. Yes, pentecostals believe in prophesy.

Im not going to put pentecostals on a level that is any more rediculous than any other dogma junky. And, Im pretty sure that Sarah Palin is not a pentecostal (by any measure that iv'e seen). Wanna spot a pentecostal at the store? 3 things: long jean dresses. Long, LONG hair. No makeup.

Well, you can't always judge a book by it's cover. How Pentecostal women dress and present themselves vary a lot within a congregation. It's true that some women do dress the way you described, but lately I find that churches are a bit more liberal than in the past where appearances are concerned. Palin could very well consider herself Pentecostal without looking the part. A woman's modesty is basically a personal conviction on how they wish to dress. The congregation I was a part of was a 50/50 split between dressing and having the personal appearance you mentioned, and the more liberal look of pantsuits, jeans, and even short skirts. The pastors always spoke out about why women should be modest in their appearance but not all women took heed of the message.

Women are supposed to dress as women and not dress as a man would. There is a scripture in the bible about it but I'm a bit rusty on direct quotes as it's been a while since I was a regular churchgoer.

Wanna spot a pentecostal at the store? 3 things: long jean dresses. Long, LONG hair. No makeup.

That's ridiculous!! I happen to own a long very stylish jean skirt. Ann Taylor, I think. My hair is long. Yeah, overdue for a hair cut. I rarely wear make-up. So what!
You need to get out more.

Well, you can't always judge a book by it's cover. How Pentecostal women dress and present themselves vary a lot within a congregation. It's true that some women do dress the way you described, but lately I find that churches are a bit more liberal than in the past where appearances are concerned. Palin could very well consider herself Pentecostal without looking the part. A woman's modesty is basically a personal conviction on how they wish to dress. The congregation I was a part of was a 50/50 split between dressing and having the personal appearance you mentioned, and the more liberal look of pantsuits, jeans, and even short skirts. The pastors always spoke out about why women should be modest in their appearance but not all women took heed of the message.

Women are supposed to dress as women and not dress as a man would. There is a scripture in the bible about it but I'm a bit rusty on direct quotes as it's been a while since I was a regular churchgoer.

dude. i've spent my time with that particular sect too. What doesn't vary in a pentecostal church are the three things i've posted above. If you find yourself in a "pentecostal" church where women wear pants, cut their hair and wear makeup then you are not in a pentecostal church. It's not at ALL merely personal conviction.

The basic reason for modesty of dress is to subdue the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the pride of life. The exposed body tends to arouse improper thoughts in both wearer and onlooker. To implement the purpose behind modest dress, the body should basically be covered, except for those parts which we must use openly for normal living. This suggests that clothes should cover the torso and upper limbs. Reasonable guidelines, then, would-be women’s dresses over the knee and sleeves to the elbow. In addition, we should avoid low necklines, sleeveless dresses or shirts, very tight clothes, very thin clothes, and slacks on women because they immodestly reveal the feminine contours of upper leg, thigh, and hip. Likewise, swimming in mixed company is immodest. Since the primary effect of makeup is to highlight sex appeal, we reject makeup as immodest.

United Pentecostal Church International

Regardless if the flock FOLLOW the message, THAT IS the message. Hell, I could attend a pentecostal church and then go smoke crack.. but that would not make my faith reflective of pentecostalism.

im just sayin.. it's a game I STILL play at public places.. Spot the Pentecostal.

im just sayin.. it's a game I STILL play at public places.. Spot the Pentecostal.

So when you play this game, do you keep score? Do you actually go ask the person if they are a Pentecostal to confirm your bet? Do you do the punch buggy, no punch back thing too?

The women that are truly Pentecostal , and follow the teachings of the church, (that I have known), do not wear makeup. It just appears to be a smoke screen to me that she is trying to make herself out to be something she is not. IMHO.

What separates United Pentecostals from orthodox Christians are their concepts of God and their belief that to be saved one must be baptized in Jesus' name only and speak in tongues. The group also enforces stricter standards of holiness than those found in most evangelical churches, including the length of one's hair (men's short, women's long), abstinence from watching television, and a prohibition against women wearing makeup or jewelry.

United Pentecostal Church - by Dr. H. Wayne House

if you get the chance, check out David Benoit's 80s masterpiece "Devil Worship in Rock Music" and "Violence in Rock Music". It's good stuff in a "smoke a bowl while watching reefer madness" sorta way.

Fiddlesticks. I've known Pentecostals who wore miniskirts and spiked hair.

Mormans have the dress code, though. Sen. Gordon Smith's wife is a classic, modern example of it.

So when you play this game, do you keep score? Do you actually go ask the person if they are a Pentecostal to confirm your bet? Do you do the punch buggy, no punch back thing too?

no.. it's an unofficial scorecard. Speaking of buggy, it's about as obvious as facial hair and plain clothes on an Amish dude.

Fiddlesticks. I've known Pentecostals who wore miniskirts and spiked hair.

Mormans have the dress code, though. Sen. Gordon Smith's wife is a classic, modern example of it.

yea.. and i've known catholics that have had an abortion. What, exactly, does that say about that particular dogma?

dude. i've spent my time with that particular sect too. What doesn't vary in a pentecostal church are the three things i've posted above. If you find yourself in a "pentecostal" church where women wear pants, cut their hair and wear makeup then you are not in a pentecostal church. It's not at ALL merely personal conviction.

The basic reason for modesty of dress is to subdue the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the pride of life. The exposed body tends to arouse improper thoughts in both wearer and onlooker. To implement the purpose behind modest dress, the body should basically be covered, except for those parts which we must use openly for normal living. This suggests that clothes should cover the torso and upper limbs. Reasonable guidelines, then, would-be women’s dresses over the knee and sleeves to the elbow. In addition, we should avoid low necklines, sleeveless dresses or shirts, very tight clothes, very thin clothes, and slacks on women because they immodestly reveal the feminine contours of upper leg, thigh, and hip. Likewise, swimming in mixed company is immodest. Since the primary effect of makeup is to highlight sex appeal, we reject makeup as immodest.

United Pentecostal Church International

Regardless if the flock FOLLOW the message, THAT IS the message. Hell, I could attend a pentecostal church and then go smoke crack.. but that would not make my faith reflective of pentecostalism.

I know what I've seen in the local Pentecostal churches and I've yet to attend one where every woman dresses in the traditional attire that is outlined in the bible. All the pastors preach that women should dress a certain way but they will also say that it's their mission to bring folks into the church but it's up to God and his message to give women the conviction to abide by it.

If you find yourself in a "pentecostal" church where women wear pants, cut their hair and wear makeup then you are not in a pentecostal church.

That's not exactly the case in all Pentecostal churches. There is no line in the sand where if you don't x, y, and z, you can't be a part of the congregation. It may keep you from being part of the governing board of a church but it won't keep you out of the pews.

I know what I've seen in the local Pentecostal churches and I've yet to attend one where every woman dresses in the traditional attire that is outlined in the bible. All the pastors preach that women should dress a certain way but they will also say that it's their mission to bring folks into the church but it's up to God and his message to give women the conviction to abide by it.

That's not exactly the case in all Pentecostal churches. There is no line in the sand where if you don't x, y, and z, you can't be a part of the congregation. It may keep you from being part of the governing board of a church but it won't keep you out of the pews.

dude. I linked the standards of the UNITED PENTECOSTAL CHURCH INTERNATIONAL. Feel free to email them and tell them how your experience validates halter tops and buttless chaps as acceptable pentecostal dress.

dude. I linked the standards of the UNITED PENTECOSTAL CHURCH INTERNATIONAL. Feel free to email them and tell them how your experience validates halter tops and buttless chaps as acceptable pentecostal dress.

Buttless chaps . LOL!

I think Denny is speaking the truth when he says he's seen women dressed "unmodestly" in pentecostal churches. I'm sure they think once they lure them in they can brainwash them even further.

You can post that till the cows come home to prove your point but I've been attending a Pentecostal church since I was old enough to see over the top of a pew, roughly 50 years or so, and not every single woman in a Pentecostal church abides by the guidelines you posted. Just because the United Pentecostal Church International says it, it doesn't make it so.You may see some churches where a majority abide by the guidlines, but very few where each and every member do.

Not every Pentecostal church is associated with United Pentecostal Church International. There is a lot of division within the Pentecostal movement so one size does not fit all where rules are concerned.

Last edited:
Buttless chaps . LOL!

I think Denny is speaking the truth when he says he's seen women dressed "unmodestly" in pentecostal churches. I'm sure they think once they lure them in they can brainwash them even further.

again, errant dress of any particular congregation does not minimize the specific doctrines of that faith. I'll use the example I've given baba: What does it say about the catholic stance on abortion of a member of a catholic congregation has one?

You can post that till the cows come home to prove your point but I've been attending a Pentecostal church since I was old enough to see over the top of a pew, roughly 50 years or so, and not every single woman in a Pentecostal church abides by the guidelines you posted. Just because the United Pentecostal Church International says it, it doesn't make it so.You may see some churches where a majority abide by the guidlines, but very few where each and every member do.

Not every Pentecostal church is associated with United Pentecostal Church International. There is a lot of division within the Pentecostal movement so one size does not fit all where rules are concerned.

Denny ... I agree with you. Not all people practice all of their churches belief's, as you have pointed out. But ...... Sarah Palin is the one that is bringing doubt to those of us that do not understand her church/religion ..... to the headlines. She say's one thing ... then the very next day something new pops up allowing those of us to questiion her, when it is found. Right?

People keep saying "keep seperation of church and politics" ... to me it seems she is doing exactly the opposite. :confused: :doubt: :confused:

You said you could always tell Pentecostals by their dress. We're simply pointing out that's not always the case. And you're agreeing with us. Thanks.

Denny ... I agree with you. Not all people practice all of their churches belief's, as you have pointed out. But ...... Sarah Palin is the one that is bringing doubt to those of us that do not understand her church/religion ..... to the headlines. She say's one thing ... then the very next day something new pops up allowing those of us to questiion her, when it is found. Right?

People keep saying "keep seperation of church and politics" ... to me it seems she is doing exactly the opposite. :confused: :doubt: :confused:

Keeping church and state separate does not mean denying your faith or hiding it.

Forum List

Back