PBS alters transcript to hide Obama gaffe

yes, they are. its the hypocrisy, as always, that gets me. you'd think a speech in front of a joint session would be heavily fact checked before hand, and there after if there is non facts or wild exaggerations they are noted, not submarined. It seems to me, that that usually goes only one way.

See my afore mentioned blurb on Carney.
Hell, if even award winning, life devoted to Lincoln historians don’t know history, who the heck can you trust?

I guess fact-checkin with them is off limits now. lol.

:eusa_eh:

ok lets take the award winning guy...

As much as any man in the country, he was a founder of the Republican party. ..." Don E. Fehrenbacher, a Pulitzer Prize-winning authority on Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln, a documentary portrait through his speeches and writings, 1964

so, where is does he say that Lincoln was the founder of the rep party? That is not what he says, he himself even draws or delineates by virtue of his first sentence you posted here; "as much as any man" not the man or is the man.....John Fremont ran as a rep in 1856, the first to run for president btw under that banner btw. Lincoln didn't even break ground in that respect.
Lincoln didn't break ground??

He gave over 50 speeches for Fremont's campaign, Lincoln was co-founder of the Republican party in Illinois - there was no national party...and in that first presidential campaign - Lincoln was first runner up for VP.
I think you should read this: 1856 - Abraham Lincoln

Snip:
Lincoln biographer William E. Barton wrote: "There stood Lincoln in the forefront, erect, tall, and majestic in appearance, hurling thunderbolts at the foes of freedom, while the great convention roared its endorsement!

I never witnessed such a scene before or since. As he descried the aims and aggressions of the unappeasable slaveholders and the servility of their Northern allies as illustrated by the perfidous repeal of the Missouri Compromise two years previously, and their grasping after the rich prairies of Kansas and Nebraska, to blight them with slavery and to deprive free labor of this rich inheritance, and exhorted the friends of freedom to resist them to death, the convention went fairly wild. It paralleled or exceeded the scene in the Revolutionary Virginia convention of eight-one years before, when Patrick Henry invoked death if liberty could not be preserved, and said, 'After all we must fight.' Strange, too, that this same man received death a few years afterwards while conferring freedom on the slave race and preserving the American Union from dismemberment."6

According to young William H. Porter, "the tall man in black told us about the aims of the new party they were organizing that day. I'll say now that I learned more during that next hour and a half, about what was the best for the United States, than I'd learned in all my life before. (read it!)

But forget all that.

I think the Republican party henceforth should be known as the Party of Fremont.

Last edited:
Hell, if even award winning, life devoted to Lincoln historians don’t know history, who the heck can you trust?

I guess fact-checkin with them is off limits now. lol.

:eusa_eh:

ok lets take the award winning guy...

As much as any man in the country, he was a founder of the Republican party. ..." Don E. Fehrenbacher, a Pulitzer Prize-winning authority on Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln, a documentary portrait through his speeches and writings, 1964

so, where is does he say that Lincoln was the founder of the rep party? That is not what he says, he himself even draws or delineates by virtue of his first sentence you posted here; "as much as any man" not the man or is the man.....John Fremont ran as a rep in 1856, the first to run for president btw under that banner btw. Lincoln didn't even break ground in that respect.
Lincoln didn't break ground??

He gave over 50 speeches for Fremont's campaign, Lincoln was co-founder of the Republican party in Illinois - there was no national party...and in that first presidential campaign - Lincoln was first runner up for VP.
I think you should read this: 1856 - Abraham Lincoln

Snip:
Lincoln biographer William E. Barton wrote: "There stood Lincoln in the forefront, erect, tall, and majestic in appearance, hurling thunderbolts at the foes of freedom, while the great convention roared its endorsement!

I never witnessed such a scene before or since. As he descried the aims and aggressions of the unappeasable slaveholders and the servility of their Northern allies as illustrated by the perfidous repeal of the Missouri Compromise two years previously, and their grasping after the rich prairies of Kansas and Nebraska, to blight them with slavery and to deprive free labor of this rich inheritance, and exhorted the friends of freedom to resist them to death, the convention went fairly wild. It paralleled or exceeded the scene in the Revolutionary Virginia convention of eight-one years before, when Patrick Henry invoked death if liberty could not be preserved, and said, 'After all we must fight.' Strange, too, that this same man received death a few years afterwards while conferring freedom on the slave race and preserving the American Union from dismemberment."6

According to young William H. Porter, "the tall man in black told us about the aims of the new party they were organizing that day. I'll say now that I learned more during that next hour and a half, about what was the best for the United States, than I'd learned in all my life before. (read it!)

But forget all that.

I think the Republican party henceforth should be known as the Party of Fremont.

it appears you have trouble with the written word, so mark me not surprised that you have made a hash of answering my WRITTEN words. go read my post again.

ah, so we are down to "co-founder in Illinois" now....hey great, by the end of the day, we'll be back to why pbs did what they did and why the media who pointed out huckabees misspeak when he said same, but don't appear to have anything so say now, except in PBS's case by redacting the transcript without telling anyone they did so.

Last edited:
Uh Oh. I sure hope someone at the National GOP headquarters tells them they have to take down their Lincoln page.

Abraham_Lincoln_head_on_shoulders_photo_portrait5.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln helped establish the Republican Party with a speech denouncing an 1854 law, written by a Democrat Senator, that allowed slavery to expand into the western territories. Two years later, he co-founded the Illinois GOP. Lincoln was runner-up for the 1856 Republican vice presidential nomination and then became a Republican nominee for the U.S. Senate.

Abraham Lincoln | RNC: Republican National Committee | GOP

it appears you have trouble with the written word, so mark me not surprised that you have made a hash of answering my WRITTEN words. go read my post again.

Yeah, like this: "As much as any man in the country, he was a founder of the Republican party." -Award Winning Lincoln Scholar.

You: so, where is does he say that Lincoln was the founder of the rep party?

:rofl:

Jay Carney- 2008 Time magazine as to Huckabee;

He gives a good speech, but he’s loose with the facts. He called Abraham Lincoln the “founder” of the Republican Party. Nope. Lincoln was not the founder of the party; he wasn’t even the first Republican nominee (John Fremont was, in 1856). Lincoln was, of course, the first Republican to be elected president.

and to drill further into the absurd;

NY TIMES transcript, pertinent section;

“We all remember Abraham Lincoln as the leader who saved our Union. Founder of the Republican Party. But in the middle of a civil war, he was also a leader who looked to the future — a Republican President who mobilized government to build the Transcontinental Railroad — (applause) — launch the National Academy of Sciences, set up the first land grant colleges. (Applause.) And leaders of both parties have followed the example he set.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/09/us/politics/09text-obama-jobs-speech.html?_r=2&pagewanted=6

so the Times is right and PBS is wrong? :lol:

Yeah, like this: "As much as any man in the country, he was a founder of the Republican party." -Award Winning Lincoln Scholar.

You: so, where is does he say that Lincoln was the founder of the rep party?

:rofl:

you're a mess, seriously:lol: either you really cannot follow a conversion or you're obfuscating because you are experiencing comprehension fail and know it, but don't know how to correct it. hence you are, well, a mess.....

No 'heads will roll.' They will call it 'editing' and that will be the end of it. Just like the 'teapartiers go to hell' comment was edited from the tapes of Maxine Waters.

Hey, Lincoln was at the least, on the Ground Floor, a part of the Foundation of the Party. The association is not off.

He gives a good speech, but he’s loose with the facts. He called Abraham Lincoln the “founder” of the Republican Party. Nope. Lincoln was not the founder of the party; he wasn’t even the first Republican nominee (John Fremont was, in 1856). Lincoln was, of course, the first Republican to be elected president.

“We all remember Abraham Lincoln as the leader who saved our Union. Founder of the Republican Party. But in the middle of a civil war, he was also a leader who looked to the future — a Republican President who mobilized government to build the Transcontinental Railroad — (applause) — launch the National Academy of Sciences, set up the first land grant colleges. (Applause.) And leaders of both parties have followed the example he set.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/09/us/politics/09text-obama-jobs-speech.html?_r=2&pagewanted=6

PBS has the same transcript, knobhead.

I don't give a shit what Carney said. It's lintsucking pedantic to quibble over the 'exact founder' - when there IS NO definite named founder.
Lincoln was there just shorty after they were formed and named, co-founded the party in Illinois - which was all he could do, as there was no national party - and his election as president sealed the deal.

Gawd some people are just so hopelessly lost...

PBS has the same transcript, knobhead.

I don't give a shit what Carney said. It's lintsucking pedantic to quibble over the 'exact founder' - when there IS NO definite named founder.
Lincoln was there just shorty after they were formed and named, co-founded the party in Illinois - which was all he could do, as there was no national party - and his election as president sealed the deal.

Gawd some people are just so hopelessly lost...

:lol::lol:meltdown mode:lol:

tissue?

a96741_face-tissue.jpg

Hey, Lincoln was at the least, on the Ground Floor, a part of the Foundation of the Party. The association is not off.

sure , he was part of the push for the rep. party and became its first pres. *shrugs*

but as we have seen as to other posts here, context matters; "Lincoln as one of the founders and first rep president" vs. "Lincoln the Founder of the rep. party" are 2 different things.

and I will say again, as it appears to have escaped those in meltdown mode, I am not disturbed by the blurb really, on the Trajanic outrage meter this barley registers, however; I am disturbed that the yardstick applied by the media is different- Huckabee, corrected in Time and other assoc. papers of 'record', here, now?

:lol: now whos quibbling? you're a mess .....neither did these folks , who's quotes you used in a failed attempt as at a defense...so they are npo good now?

Immigration was a core belief of a founder of the Republican party, Abraham Lincoln. — Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani (R)

It is a pleasure for me to address you upon the day when this club and our countrymen of all faiths throughout the land are paying tribute to the memory of Abraham Lincoln. We tonight also pay tribute to him as founder of the Republican Party and the inspirer of its ideals. — President Herbert Hoover (R)

I do so humbly -- in the presence of the monuments of America's great presidents -- especially Abraham Lincoln -- the founder of the Republican Party -- whose deep commitment to equality and opportunity I share. Arlen Specter (R)

Remember the words of the legendary founder of the Republican Party, Abraham Lincoln, who admonished that "we get the government that we deserve". -Columbiana County (Ohio) Republican Party

"As much as any man in the country, he was a founder of the Republican party. ..." Don E. Fehrenbacher, a Pulitzer Prize-winning authority on Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln, a documentary portrait through his speeches and writings, 1964

Last edited:
For those who missed my post earlier:

* I am a Lincoln/Kemp Republican. It’s 150 years ago in Chicago this year that Abraham Lincoln, the founder of the Republican Party, accepted the Republican nomination for President of the United States. — Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN)

* Immigration was a core belief of a founder of the Republican party, Abraham Lincoln. — Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani (R)

* Though Lincoln was the founder of the Republican Party, to liberals and advocates of civil rights Lincoln was in that pantheon along with FDR as one of the heroes of liberalism and American democracy. — James Pierson on National Review

* George W. Bush is not a Goldwater Republican — he’s a Lincoln Republican. Like the founder of the Republican party, Bush doesn’t mind spending money on his priorities, and he doesn’t mind doing some of this spending with borrowed money. — Jerry Bowyer, National Review

*Abe Lincoln was the founder of the Republican party - Suns of Liberty Tea Party group

* It is a pleasure for me to address you upon the day when this club and our countrymen of all faiths throughout the land are paying tribute to the memory of Abraham Lincoln. We tonight also pay tribute to him as founder of the Republican Party and the inspirer of its ideals. — President Herbert Hoover (R)

* It was — it was, in fact, the founder of our party, Abraham Lincoln, who reminded us that a government that can do everything for us is the government that can take everything from us. — Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-AR) 2008 RNC Speech

* I do so humbly -- in the presence of the monuments of America's great presidents -- especially Abraham Lincoln -- the founder of the Republican Party -- whose deep commitment to equality and opportunity I share. Arlen Specter (R)

* Remember the words of the legendary founder of the Republican Party, Abraham Lincoln, who admonished that "we get the government that we deserve". -Columbiana County (Ohio) Republican Party

* "Lincoln being a former Whig and then becoming a Republican and then the first Republican president ever elected, we look at him as the founder of the Republican Party," he said. -Harris County (Texas) GOP Chairman Jared Woodfill

* "Abraham Lincoln, the founder of our Republican Party..." -Lamar Smith (R-Texas)

* In a very important sense Mr. Lincoln may be regarded as the founder of the Republican Party." XLIII MR. LINCOLN AS AN HISTORICAL PERSONAGE.
A SPEECH DELIVERED BEFORE THE LA SALLE CLUB, CHICAGO, FEBRUARY 12, 1889

* "Abraham Lincoln, who was the founder of the Republican Party..."Abraham Lincoln and Constitutional Government, Volumes 1-2 By Bartow Adolphus Ulrich, 1916

* Thomas Jefferson was the founder of the Democratic party and Lincoln, looked back to as the founder of the Republican party, and yet the founder of the Republican party declared he had no political principle that he did not get from the founder of the Democratic party." -Proceedings of the Constitutional Convention of the state of Illinois convened January 6, 1920, Volume 1

* Lincoln, the real founder of the Republican Party. - Robert A. Taft

* He had served in the 1840s in the Congress as a Whig, and he was a co-founder of the new Republican Party, "Source: Abraham Lincoln: Great American Historians on Our Sixteenth President" Quote by one of the country's foremost scholars on Abraham Lincoln, Harold Holzer.

* "As much as any man in the country, he was a founder of the Republican party. ..." Don E. Fehrenbacher, a Pulitzer Prize-winning authority on Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln, a documentary portrait through his speeches and writings, 1964

Forum List

Back