PBS alters transcript to hide Obama gaffe

I'm hearing that PBS published the transcript they were given in advance of the speech. That Obama ad libbed the bad history.
If Obama is guilty of stating "bad history" so are these folks:

* I am a Lincoln/Kemp Republican. It’s 150 years ago in Chicago this year that Abraham Lincoln, the founder of the Republican Party, accepted the Republican nomination for President of the United States. — Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN)

* Immigration was a core belief of a founder of the Republican party, Abraham Lincoln. — Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani (R)

* Though Lincoln was the founder of the Republican Party, to liberals and advocates of civil rights Lincoln was in that pantheon along with FDR as one of the heroes of liberalism and American democracy. — James Pierson on National Review

* George W. Bush is not a Goldwater Republican — he’s a Lincoln Republican. Like the founder of the Republican party, Bush doesn’t mind spending money on his priorities, and he doesn’t mind doing some of this spending with borrowed money. — Jerry Bowyer, National Review

* It is a pleasure for me to address you upon the day when this club and our countrymen of all faiths throughout the land are paying tribute to the memory of Abraham Lincoln. We tonight also pay tribute to him as founder of the Republican Party and the inspirer of its ideals. — President Herbert Hoover (R)

* It was — it was, in fact, the founder of our party, Abraham Lincoln, who reminded us that a government that can do everything for us is the government that can take everything from us. — Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-AR) 2008 RNC Speech

* I do so humbly -- in the presence of the monuments of America's great presidents -- especially Abraham Lincoln -- the founder of the Republican Party -- whose deep commitment to equality and opportunity I share. Arlen Specter (R)

* Remember the words of the legendary founder of the Republican Party, Abraham Lincoln, who admonished that "we get the government that we deserve". -Columbiana County (Ohio) Republican Party

* "Lincoln being a former Whig and then becoming a Republican and then the first Republican president ever elected, we look at him as the founder of the Republican Party," he said. -Harris County (Texas) GOP Chairman Jared Woodfill

* "Abraham Lincoln, the founder of our Republican Party..." -Lamar Smith (R-Texas)

* In a very important sense Mr. Lincoln may be regarded as the founder of the Republican Party." XLIII MR. LINCOLN AS AN HISTORICAL PERSONAGE.
A SPEECH DELIVERED BEFORE THE LA SALLE CLUB, CHICAGO, FEBRUARY 12, 1889

* "Abraham Lincoln, who was the founder of the Republican Party..."Abraham Lincoln and Constitutional Government, Volumes 1-2
By Bartow Adolphus Ulrich, 1916

* Thomas Jefferson was the founder of the Democratic party and Lincoln, looked back to as the founder of the Republican party, and yet the founder of the Republican party declared he had no political principle that he did not get from the founder of the Democratic party." -Proceedings of the Constitutional Convention of the state of Illinois convened January 6, 1920, Volume 1

* Lincoln, the real founder of the Republican Party. - Robert A. Taft

* He had served in the 1840s in the Congress as a Whig, and he was a co-founder of the new Republican Party, "Source: Abraham Lincoln: Great American Historians on Our Sixteenth President" Quote by one of the country's foremost scholars on Abraham Lincoln, Harold Holzer.

* "As much as any man in the country, he was a founder of the Republican party. ..." Don E. Fehrenbacher, a Pulitzer Prize-winning authority on Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln, a documentary portrait through his speeches and writings, 1964

So your defense for poor fact checking of Historical facts is that others did it too? Were they addressing a joint session of Congress? Were they addressing the entire Country? Did they have as many staff and teleprompters as Obama?

Remind me again how the " but he did it to" defense works?

Shazam!

Lookee here: Fox Business News. Covering up for Obamy!

No Founders mention!

Hold on connies. Yee's just may blow a gasket!

READ: The Full Text Of President Obama's Jobs Speech | Fox Business

smileythescream.gif

Oh dearie dear. The right wings blogobats all across the internet have gone into full vapor lock cause PBS released a transcript of prepared remarks, and called it a transcript "as prepared."

Then later, they corrected the few omissions, to reflect the actual record, and even provided a full video of the speech. How devious of them. They also added things like "(Applause.)" - and "(Laughter)" and " It will provide -- it will provide" when Obama repeated the phrase twice.

Whaddya know. That wasn't in the transcript "as prepared" either.

But it was in the official transcript "as delivered."

Yadonsay?

the fun will come in the weeks and months ahead, when the proven lie again becomes fact by repetition by the likes of hannity and beck.

I'm hearing that PBS published the transcript they were given in advance of the speech. That Obama ad libbed the bad history.

* I am a Lincoln/Kemp Republican. It’s 150 years ago in Chicago this year that Abraham Lincoln, the founder of the Republican Party, accepted the Republican nomination for President of the United States. — Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN)

* Immigration was a core belief of a founder of the Republican party, Abraham Lincoln. — Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani (R)

* Though Lincoln was the founder of the Republican Party, to liberals and advocates of civil rights Lincoln was in that pantheon along with FDR as one of the heroes of liberalism and American democracy. — James Pierson on National Review

* George W. Bush is not a Goldwater Republican — he’s a Lincoln Republican. Like the founder of the Republican party, Bush doesn’t mind spending money on his priorities, and he doesn’t mind doing some of this spending with borrowed money. — Jerry Bowyer, National Review

* It is a pleasure for me to address you upon the day when this club and our countrymen of all faiths throughout the land are paying tribute to the memory of Abraham Lincoln. We tonight also pay tribute to him as founder of the Republican Party and the inspirer of its ideals. — President Herbert Hoover (R)

* It was — it was, in fact, the founder of our party, Abraham Lincoln, who reminded us that a government that can do everything for us is the government that can take everything from us. — Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-AR) 2008 RNC Speech

* I do so humbly -- in the presence of the monuments of America's great presidents -- especially Abraham Lincoln -- the founder of the Republican Party -- whose deep commitment to equality and opportunity I share. Arlen Specter (R)

* Remember the words of the legendary founder of the Republican Party, Abraham Lincoln, who admonished that "we get the government that we deserve". -Columbiana County (Ohio) Republican Party

* "Lincoln being a former Whig and then becoming a Republican and then the first Republican president ever elected, we look at him as the founder of the Republican Party," he said. -Harris County (Texas) GOP Chairman Jared Woodfill

* "Abraham Lincoln, the founder of our Republican Party..." -Lamar Smith (R-Texas)

* In a very important sense Mr. Lincoln may be regarded as the founder of the Republican Party." XLIII MR. LINCOLN AS AN HISTORICAL PERSONAGE.

* "Abraham Lincoln, who was the founder of the Republican Party..."Abraham Lincoln and Constitutional Government, Volumes 1-2

* Thomas Jefferson was the founder of the Democratic party and Lincoln, looked back to as the founder of the Republican party, and yet the founder of the Republican party declared he had no political principle that he did not get from the founder of the Democratic party." -Proceedings of the Constitutional Convention of the state of Illinois convened January 6, 1920, Volume 1

* He had served in the 1840s in the Congress as a Whig, and he was a co-founder of the new Republican Party, "Source: Abraham Lincoln: Great American Historians on Our Sixteenth President" Quote by one of the country's foremost scholars on Abraham Lincoln, Harold Holzer.

* "As much as any man in the country, he was a founder of the Republican party. ..." Don E. Fehrenbacher, a Pulitzer Prize-winning authority on Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln, a documentary portrait through his speeches and writings, 1964

So your defense for poor fact checking of Historical facts is that others did it too? Were they addressing a joint session of Congress? Were they addressing the entire Country? Did they have as many staff and teleprompters as Obama?

Remind me again how the " but he did it to" defense works?
If you want to be pedantic, I suppose Lincoln being the co-founder of the Republican party in Illinois, when there was no national party, and being nominated as first runner up for VP in the first republican presidential election that had only officially came into existence some 18 months earlier, and being the first elected republican president to seal true power and legitimacy to the party
is not really a 'founder...'

I guess you could say that.

Whatcha gonna do when historians get it wrong, eh?

"As much as any man in the country, he was a founder of the Republican party. ..." Don E. Fehrenbacher, a Pulitzer Prize-winning authority on Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln, a documentary portrait through his speeches and writings, 1964

A quote from renowned Lincoln scholar, Harold Holzer:

"HOLZER: Aside from being the physical opposite of Stephen A. Douglas -- he certainly was; Douglas was called "the little giant," and Lincoln, at that point, was known by the nickname "Long Abe" -- he was a one-term Congressman. He had served in the 1840s in the Congress as a Whig, and he was a co-founder of the new Republican Party, a leader of the Illinois Republicans, and a well-known attorney, successful attorney, but mostly known as a party leader, a public speaker on behalf of other candidates. He had tried for the Senate a few years earlier in a campaign that was not really a campaign. It was just decided in the legislature with no precampaign, no debates, and he had nearly made it, but his party forsook him during the balloting and elected a different fellow.
" Source: Abraham Lincoln: Great American Historians on Our Sixteenth President <link in quotes>

I dunno. I think a guy who has written more than 32 books on Lincoln, and has creds like this:

bio_bio-new.gif

...might just know a thing or two about the pickiyoooonish details.

Last edited:
Lincoln most certainly was one of the strongest forces - and the phrase, oft heard by republicans, is it is "the Party of Lincoln." It was his Presidential election that gave them their first Executive branch power, after all.

Was he "the Founder?" Technically no. In my years of dealing with issue, I have found no exact named Founder. There were more than one, of course, and indeed, several historical reports, from Ripon Iowa (Alan Bovay, is named as one) to New Hampshire (Amos Tuck, is another), along with others, have claimed they were Founders. But who remembers them?
In fact, who even remembers John C. Fremont for his role?

Like the modern day Tea party that grew angry with the direction of the country, placing a single name on a powerful movement is not quite as simple as some claim. Ripon is generally considered where the name first originated, but historians agree the movement was arumble all about.

It cannot be claimed Lincoln was at the tip of the spear of the nascent Republican party in 1854, but very shorty thereafter, he certainly grabbed hold of the national sword.

But, if The Party of Lincoln wants to disown Lincoln for the major part he played in bringing the party to it's ultimate power, that's Ok with me. :)

there also another curious blip on this;

in 2008 Jay Carney, a writer then for Time magazine,(who is now the present press sec. for Obama) took a candidate ( Huckabee) to task for saying that Lincoln was the founder of the rep. party, which he is not, and he was not even the first rep. to run for president either. ( hat tip- hotair. )

fox never noted/posted the blurbs as a transcript, they contextually wrapped their remarks around their ideology on what appear to be opinion prgrams/blogs, which as already alluded is not unique to fox abc nbc etc etc ...BUT, A &#8220;transcript&#8221; is supposed to be a true rendering of the words spoken, unedited. PBS was unfaithful to the true account.

Last edited:
fox never noted/posted the blurbs as a transcript, they contextually wrapped their remarks around their ideology on what appear to be opinion prgrams/blogs, which as already alluded is not unique to fox abc nbc etc etc ...BUT, A “transcript” is supposed to be a true rendering of the words spoken, unedited. PBS was unfaithful to the true account.
I can't even begin to imagine how stupid I'd look if I hung my hinge of a manufactured outrage on the words "transcript as prepared" and "transcript as delivered" in order to create some grand conspiracy of media cover-up.

I will confide, this thread has brought me great entertainment. Thanks!

* I am a Lincoln/Kemp Republican. It&#8217;s 150 years ago in Chicago this year that Abraham Lincoln, the founder of the Republican Party, accepted the Republican nomination for President of the United States. &#8212; Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN)

* Immigration was a core belief of a founder of the Republican party, Abraham Lincoln. &#8212; Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani (R)

* Though Lincoln was the founder of the Republican Party, to liberals and advocates of civil rights Lincoln was in that pantheon along with FDR as one of the heroes of liberalism and American democracy. &#8212; James Pierson on National Review

* George W. Bush is not a Goldwater Republican &#8212; he&#8217;s a Lincoln Republican. Like the founder of the Republican party, Bush doesn&#8217;t mind spending money on his priorities, and he doesn&#8217;t mind doing some of this spending with borrowed money. &#8212; Jerry Bowyer, National Review

* It is a pleasure for me to address you upon the day when this club and our countrymen of all faiths throughout the land are paying tribute to the memory of Abraham Lincoln. We tonight also pay tribute to him as founder of the Republican Party and the inspirer of its ideals. &#8212; President Herbert Hoover (R)

* It was &#8212; it was, in fact, the founder of our party, Abraham Lincoln, who reminded us that a government that can do everything for us is the government that can take everything from us. &#8212; Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-AR) 2008 RNC Speech

yes, they are. its the hypocrisy, as always, that gets me. you'd think a speech in front of a joint session would be heavily fact checked before hand, and there after if there is non facts or wild exaggerations they are noted, not submarined. It seems to me, that that usually goes only one way.

See my afore mentioned blurb on Carney.

Last edited:

* I am a Lincoln/Kemp Republican. It&#8217;s 150 years ago in Chicago this year that Abraham Lincoln, the founder of the Republican Party, accepted the Republican nomination for President of the United States. &#8212; Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN)

* Immigration was a core belief of a founder of the Republican party, Abraham Lincoln. &#8212; Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani (R)

* Though Lincoln was the founder of the Republican Party, to liberals and advocates of civil rights Lincoln was in that pantheon along with FDR as one of the heroes of liberalism and American democracy. &#8212; James Pierson on National Review

* George W. Bush is not a Goldwater Republican &#8212; he&#8217;s a Lincoln Republican. Like the founder of the Republican party, Bush doesn&#8217;t mind spending money on his priorities, and he doesn&#8217;t mind doing some of this spending with borrowed money. &#8212; Jerry Bowyer, National Review

* It is a pleasure for me to address you upon the day when this club and our countrymen of all faiths throughout the land are paying tribute to the memory of Abraham Lincoln. We tonight also pay tribute to him as founder of the Republican Party and the inspirer of its ideals. &#8212; President Herbert Hoover (R)

* It was &#8212; it was, in fact, the founder of our party, Abraham Lincoln, who reminded us that a government that can do everything for us is the government that can take everything from us. &#8212; Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-AR) 2008 RNC Speech

yes, they are. its the hypocrisy, as always, that gets me. you'd think a speech in front of a joint session would be heavily fact checked before hand, and there after if there is non facts or wild exaggerations they are noted, not submarined. It seems to me, that that usually goes only one way.

Hell, if even award winning, life devoted to Lincoln historians don&#8217;t know history, who the heck can you trust?

I guess fact-checkin with them is off limits now. lol.

fox never noted/posted the blurbs as a transcript, they contextually wrapped their remarks around their ideology on what appear to be opinion prgrams/blogs, which as already alluded is not unique to fox abc nbc etc etc ...BUT, A “transcript” is supposed to be a true rendering of the words spoken, unedited. PBS was unfaithful to the true account.
I can't even begin to imagine how stupid I'd look if I hung my hinge of a manufactured outrage on the words "transcript as prepared" and "transcript as delivered" in order to create some grand conspiracy of media cover-up.

I will confide, this thread has brought me great entertainment. Thanks!

not as dumb as some would like trying to quibble with clearly defined definitions;

-A written or printed version of material originally presented in another medium.

-Something transcribed, especially a written, typewritten, or printed copy: the transcript of court testimony; an academic transcript.

-# copy – an imitation, reproduction, or transcript of an original
-# • transcript – a written version of what was said orally; as, a transcript of ...

so words don't count, got it.

I am oh so happy we have provided suitable entertainment for you.

Hell, if even award winning, life devoted to Lincoln historians don&#8217;t know history, who the heck can you trust?

I guess fact-checkin with them is off limits now. lol.

:eusa_eh:

ok lets take the award winning guy...

As much as any man in the country, he was a founder of the Republican party. ..." Don E. Fehrenbacher, a Pulitzer Prize-winning authority on Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln, a documentary portrait through his speeches and writings, 1964

so, where is does he say that Lincoln was the founder of the rep party? That is not what he says, he himself even draws or delineates by virtue of his first sentence you posted here; "as much as any man" not the man or is the man.....John Fremont ran as a rep in 1856, the first to run for president btw under that banner btw. Lincoln didn't even break ground in that respect.

The Republican Party emerged in 1854. It began as coalition of anti-slavery "Conscience Whigs" and Free Soil Democrats opposed to the Kansas-Nebraska Act, submitted to Congress by Stephen Douglas in January 1854. The Act opened Kansas Territory and Nebraska Territory to slavery and future admission as slave states, thus implicitly repealing the prohibition on slavery in territory north of 36° 30&#8242; latitude, which had been part of the Missouri Compromise. This change was viewed by Free-Soil and Abolitionist Northerners as an aggressive, expansionist maneuver by the slave-owning South.

The Act was supported by all Southern Democrats, by Northern "Doughface" (pro-Southern) Democrats, and by still other northern Democrats persuaded by Douglas' doctrine of "popular sovereignty". It was also supported by Southern "Cotton Whigs". Thus opponents of the Act found no support from the national leadership of either established party, and moved to create a new party of their own.

The new party put forward a vision of modernizing the United States- emphasizing free homesteads to farmers ("free soil"), banking, railroads, and industry. They vigorously argued that free-market labor was superior to slavery and the very foundation of civic virtue and true republicanism - this is the "Free Soil, Free Labor, Free Men" ideology.[1] The Republicans absorbed the previous traditions of its members, most of whom had been Whigs; others had been Democrats or members of third parties (especially the Free Soil Party and the American Party or Know Nothings). Many Democrats who joined up were rewarded with governorships.[2] or seats in the U.S. Senate[3] or House of Representatives.[4] Since its inception, its chief opposition has been the Democratic Party, but the amount of flow back and forth of prominent politicians between the two parties was quite high from 1854 to 1896.

Two small cities of the Yankee diaspora, Ripon, Wisconsin and Jackson, Michigan, claim to be the birthplace of the Republican Party (in other words, meetings held there were some of the first 1854 anti-Nebraska assemblies to call themselves "Republican"). Ripon held the first county convention on March 20, 1854. Jackson held the first statewide convention on July 6, 1854; it declared their new party opposed to the expansion of slavery into new territories and selected a state-wide slate of candidates. The Midwest took the lead in forming state party tickets, while the eastern states lagged a year or so.

Alvan E. Bovay, a Ripon politician, suggested to his old friend Horace Greeley, editor of the widely read New York Tribune, that "Republican" would be a good name. It was the name of Jefferson's party, and it emphasized a commitment to republican values as expounded by the Founding Fathers. Greeley agreed, and the name caught on.[5]

There were no efforts to organize the party in the South, apart from St. Louis and a few areas adjacent to free states. The party initially had its base in the Northeast and Midwest. The party launched its first national convention in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in February 1856, with its first national nominating convention held in the summer in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.[6]
This caricature links Frémont to other radical or outlying movements such as temperance, feminism, socialism, free love, Catholicism, and abolition.

John C. Frémont ran as the first Republican nominee for President in 1856, using the political slogan: "Free soil, free labor, free speech, free men, Frémont." Although Frémont's bid was unsuccessful, the party showed a strong base. It dominated in New England, New York and the northern Midwest, and had a strong presence in the rest of the North. It had almost no support in the South, where it was roundly denounced in 1856-60 as a divisive force that threatened civil war.[7]

Historians have explored the ethnocultural foundations of the party, along the line that ethnic and religious groups set the moral standards for their members, who then carried those standards into politics. The churches also provided social networks that politicians used to sign up voters. The pietistic churches emphasized the duty of the Christian to purge sin from society. Sin took many forms&#8212;alcoholism, polygamy and slavery became special targets for the Republicans. The Yankees, who dominated New England, much of upstate New York, and much of the upper Midwest were the strongest supporters of the new party. This was especially true for the pietistic Congregationalists and Presbyterians among them and (during the war), the Methodists, along with Scandinavian Lutherans. The Quakers were a small tight-knit group that was heavily Republican. The liturgical churches (Roman Catholic, Episcopal, German Lutheran), by contrast, largely rejected the moralism of the Republican Party; most of their adherents voted Democratic.[8]

History of the United States Republican Party - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back