PBS alters transcript to hide Obama gaffe

Let's see, PBS - uses the public air waves and is partially funded by tax dollars.

Fox News Channel - cable, privately owned.

Yep, exactly the same.

Let's see, PBS - uses the public air waves and is partially funded by tax dollars.

Fox News Channel - cable, privately owned.

Yep, exactly the same.

Way to slice through the bull! Nicely done.

PBS is PUBLIC television. Not supposed to be Obama's Orwellian revisionist history channel.

Barack Obama has gone to Congress asking for more money to spend. The President, in a rambling and tedious exercise mixing blame with demands, made quite a few dubious statements in laying out the case for Congress to vote for the plan which as yet does not exist. Much like Obamacare, Congress must ultimately vote for the bill to know what is in it.

At one point Mr. Obama made a major gaffe; he identified Abraham Lincoln as the founder of the Republican Party...Such a gaffe would have brought huge amounts of ridicule and derision on George W. Bush, but in the case of Obama the media yawned.

Actually, they did more than yawn; government-funded PBS has altered the transcript of the President's speech, removing the offending comment.

The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/09/us/politics/09text-obama-jobs-speech.html?pagewanted=6&_r=1) transcript has the following quote:

"We all remember Abraham Lincoln as the leader who saved our Union. Founder of the Republican Party. But in the middle of a civil war, he was also a leader who looked to the future -- a Republican President who mobilized government to build the Transcontinental Railroad -- (applause) -- launch the National Academy of Sciences, set up the first land grant colleges. (Applause.) And leaders of both parties have followed the example he set."

But how does it appear in the PBS transcript (http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business/july-dec11/obamaspeech_09-08.html)?

"We all remember Abraham Lincoln as the leader who saved our Union. But in the middle of a Civil War, he was also a leader who looked to the future - a Republican president who mobilized government to build the transcontinental railroad; launch the National Academy of Sciences; and set up the first land grant colleges. And leaders of both parties have followed the example he set."

So PBS has purposely altered a transcript containing a major gaffe by the President.

Blog: PBS alters transcript to hide Obama gaffe

If PBS didn't print it, then the President never said it.

Winston Smith is GOOD at his job.

ROFL!

Jay Carney, September 2008, about Mike Huckabee:

He gives a good speech, but he’s loose with the facts. He called Abraham Lincoln the “founder” of the Republican Party. Nope. Lincoln was not the founder of the party; he wasn’t even the first Republican nominee (John Fremont was, in 1856). Lincoln was, of course, the first Republican to be elected president.

:lol:

I'm hearing that PBS published the transcript they were given in advance of the speech. That Obama ad libbed the bad history.

Is this the case? PBS just posts what they're handed and don't review the actual speech?

So several issues here: PBS' veracity/carelessness/motives. Obama's competence off teleprompter. Obama's staff and how much they help/cover up for him.

(What has/will Jay Carney said/say about this now?)

(sorry if this has already been addressed. Haven't read each post closely.)

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that when you debate with the left it's like arguing with a pre teen adolescent !!

Why are you talking about preteens yidnar? Do we need to report you again?

You are one sick freak!
Shame on you! :evil:
Get your filthy gorilla head out of the gutter you filthy Std infected ape !! you and your kind are going to show just what you are really all about when you chimpout in 2012 !! and you can deny it all you want but the truth of the matter is that your species does nothing for the good of human kind !!

Has anyone noticed that when you debate with the left it's like arguing with a pre teen adolescent !!

You are one sick freak!
Get your filthy gorilla head out of the gutter you filthy Std infected ape !! you and your kind are going to show just what you are really all about when you chimpout in 2012 !! and you can deny it all you want but the truth of the matter is that your species does nothing for the good of human kind !!

Ah, do you have a crush on me?

You represent conservatives so well! :clap2:

You are one sick freak!

That's not a fair shot EZ. Lots of conservatives have repudiated Randi, the scumbag racist idiot.

Is either rdean or truthdon'tmattertoheratall a good representation of what it is to be a liberal these days?

:eusa_whistle:

That's not a fair shot EZ. Lots of conservatives have repudiated Randi, the scumbag racist idiot.

Is either rdean or truthdon'tmattertoheratall a good representation of what it is to be a liberal these days?

:eusa_whistle:

You may not like what they have to say, but at least they aren't racist pigs who call black people 'Apes'.

I'd take truth and rdean any day over that racist troll yindar. I know he does it to get a reaction, at least truth and rdean actually believe what they are saying.

Imagine the fallout if Palin or Bush made such a gaffe.

f2d6dead-a71e-493c-993a-5a3d43ce92b7

I'm hearing that PBS published the transcript they were given in advance of the speech. That Obama ad libbed the bad history.
If Obama is guilty of stating "bad history" so are these folks:

* I am a Lincoln/Kemp Republican. It’s 150 years ago in Chicago this year that Abraham Lincoln, the founder of the Republican Party, accepted the Republican nomination for President of the United States. — Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN)

* Immigration was a core belief of a founder of the Republican party, Abraham Lincoln. — Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani (R)

* Though Lincoln was the founder of the Republican Party, to liberals and advocates of civil rights Lincoln was in that pantheon along with FDR as one of the heroes of liberalism and American democracy. — James Pierson on National Review

* George W. Bush is not a Goldwater Republican — he’s a Lincoln Republican. Like the founder of the Republican party, Bush doesn’t mind spending money on his priorities, and he doesn’t mind doing some of this spending with borrowed money. — Jerry Bowyer, National Review

* It is a pleasure for me to address you upon the day when this club and our countrymen of all faiths throughout the land are paying tribute to the memory of Abraham Lincoln. We tonight also pay tribute to him as founder of the Republican Party and the inspirer of its ideals. — President Herbert Hoover (R)

* It was — it was, in fact, the founder of our party, Abraham Lincoln, who reminded us that a government that can do everything for us is the government that can take everything from us. — Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-AR) 2008 RNC Speech

* I do so humbly -- in the presence of the monuments of America's great presidents -- especially Abraham Lincoln -- the founder of the Republican Party -- whose deep commitment to equality and opportunity I share. Arlen Specter (R)

* Remember the words of the legendary founder of the Republican Party, Abraham Lincoln, who admonished that "we get the government that we deserve". -Columbiana County (Ohio) Republican Party

* "Lincoln being a former Whig and then becoming a Republican and then the first Republican president ever elected, we look at him as the founder of the Republican Party," he said. -Harris County (Texas) GOP Chairman Jared Woodfill

* "Abraham Lincoln, the founder of our Republican Party..." -Lamar Smith (R-Texas)

* In a very important sense Mr. Lincoln may be regarded as the founder of the Republican Party." XLIII MR. LINCOLN AS AN HISTORICAL PERSONAGE.
A SPEECH DELIVERED BEFORE THE LA SALLE CLUB, CHICAGO, FEBRUARY 12, 1889

* "Abraham Lincoln, who was the founder of the Republican Party..."Abraham Lincoln and Constitutional Government, Volumes 1-2
By Bartow Adolphus Ulrich, 1916

* Thomas Jefferson was the founder of the Democratic party and Lincoln, looked back to as the founder of the Republican party, and yet the founder of the Republican party declared he had no political principle that he did not get from the founder of the Democratic party." -Proceedings of the Constitutional Convention of the state of Illinois convened January 6, 1920, Volume 1

* Lincoln, the real founder of the Republican Party. - Robert A. Taft

* He had served in the 1840s in the Congress as a Whig, and he was a co-founder of the new Republican Party, "Source: Abraham Lincoln: Great American Historians on Our Sixteenth President" Quote by one of the country's foremost scholars on Abraham Lincoln, Harold Holzer.

* "As much as any man in the country, he was a founder of the Republican party. ..." Don E. Fehrenbacher, a Pulitzer Prize-winning authority on Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln, a documentary portrait through his speeches and writings, 1964

Is this the case? PBS just posts what they're handed and don't review the actual speech?

So several issues here: PBS' veracity/carelessness/motives. Obama's competence off teleprompter. Obama's staff and how much they help/cover up for him.

(What has/will Jay Carney said/say about this now?)

(sorry if this has already been addressed. Haven't read each post closely.)

Lots of news organizations do.

Waste of resources to comb through the officially released transcript prior to the speech and the actual speech looking for minor and insignificant flaws. Most of the time politicians deviate very little from the prepared remarks. As in this case, it was only 5 words that had no significance to the policy or legislation he was proposing.

The actual important stuff like the policy changes and policy directions is, ya know, a bit more important to analyze and remark on.

Last edited:

Perhaps the concept of publishing the speech "as released by the White House" is lost on you.

That is what they did, and have done for a while now.

They updated the remarks the reflect the actual transcript.

Is this difficult?

You are one sick freak!

You are a mod and you made a statement that him comparing you to a preteen is a violation of the rules? Please provide evidence, a quote would be fine. Something from the rules that forbids us from claiming people are preteens?

So that's the excuse for PBS shilling for Obama? That Fox has done some questionable things?

Does that mean that liberals are now ready to admit that PBS is part of the liberal machine?

No one pretending that PBS is an above board straight shooting purveyor of news now.

Progress!

No, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of any media outlets, there is no 'truth' in media it seems.

Take your lumps like a good girl now.

Take my lumps?

What lumps do I deserve? I don't watch Fox. And PBS has been outed as a liberal outlet. And all liberals can say is Fox did it too.

That's the size of it. I should take lumps for posting the score?

She is trying to defend PBS while claiming she is not. Usual tactic of the left. BUT BUT , they did it too.

Oh dearie dear. The right wings blogobats all across the internet have gone into full vapor lock cause PBS released a transcript of prepared remarks, and called it a transcript "as prepared."

Then later, they corrected the few omissions, to reflect the actual record, and even provided a full video of the speech. How devious of them. They also added things like "(Applause.)" - and "(Laughter)" and " It will provide -- it will provide" when Obama repeated the phrase twice.

Whaddya know. That wasn't in the transcript "as prepared" either.

But it was in the official transcript "as delivered."

Yadonsay?

Forum List

Back